PDA

View Full Version : S&W 386 NG Opinions

Crawls
01-01-12, 21:19
I'm looking for a 357 revolver to go along with my Marlin 1894 carbine. I've recently taken an interest in the S&W 386 Night Guard (L-frame, seven shot 357 mag) and was wondering if anyone had any opinions they could share.
I haven't been able to find any comparative pictures that show 386 relative to any more common handguns. I know it has a short barrel and short grip, but it's a large frame, so I'm not too sure how concealable it is. The concept of a concealable seven shot 357 sounds awesome to me, but I think that a snub nose/large frame might be better in theory than in practice.

Thanks for the help.
CJ

Timbonez
01-01-12, 21:27
Have you handled one yet? I think you will find that the 7rd cylinder is going to be your major limitation more so than the frame.

Crawls
01-01-12, 21:51
No, I haven't found one to play with yet. The LGS has a 627 Pro on hand. But as a 8 rounder, the cylinder is even bigger and and the gun substantially heavier.

Alpha Sierra
01-02-12, 04:09
I've easily concealed N frames IWB, so an L frame would be no big deal. The L frame cylinders are all the same diameter whether they have six or seven holes in them.

Crawls
01-02-12, 18:05
I've easily concealed N frames IWB, so an L frame would be no big deal. The N frame cylinders are all the same diameter whether they have six or seven holes in them.

Cool. It took me a while to figure out the diameter of the different frame cylinders. This site had a bunch of helpful dimensions: Smith & Wesson J, K, L and N-Frame Comparisons (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Smith%20&%20Wesson%20J,%20K,%20L%20and%20N-frame%20Comparisons.htm) in case anyone is interested.
If I'm right, this is essentially a 686+ in a lighter weight package, so there ought to be decent supply of holsters, grips and such.
Thanks,

Alpha Sierra
01-02-12, 21:20
If I'm right, this is essentially a 686+ in a lighter weight package, so there ought to be decent supply of holsters, grips and such.
Correct. And what's more, the grip frame of the L frame is identical to that of the K frame. So your grip selection is nearly infinite.

Hizzie
01-02-12, 23:24
386NG is an L-frame. L-frame = same grip size as K-frame. The frame is beefed up but the grip is same. Used to carry a 681PC. S&W makes a great wheelgun. SL Variant speedloaders are the best best, fast and secure. I'm a big fan of Craig Spegel grips but they are $$$. Precision Guns Specialties makes an affordable grip for CCW. I was thinking about adding a 386XL Hunter to the stable.

Jake'sDad
01-03-12, 22:46
The only thing I don't like about the Night Guard series is the 2.5" barrels. If you can find a Mountain Lite version of the 386 with the 3 1/8" barrel, I think you'll get a bit more versatility out of it. I have one, along with the same gun in .44 Special.

Here's what the .357 looks like, (not mine).

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/smithandwesson/model386.jpg

Here's my 396 Mountain Lite after a little work.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/JakeandDad/IMG_0715-1.jpg

Crawls
01-04-12, 07:07
The only thing I don't like about the Night Guard series is the 2.5" barrels. ...

I agree about your reservation on the 2.5" barrel. After reading up on the performance of a 357 through shorter barrels, it seems like an awful lot of bulk for relatively little performance. Now, if the NG had 4" barrel, I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

Crawls
01-08-12, 13:54
Went to a local gun show today to try to find a night guard to look at. Didn't happen. I did look at a few other L-framed guns though and I couldn't convince myself that it would be as concealable as I'd want no matter how short the barrel and grip. I couldn't quite get comfortable with a J frame in my pocket either. Ended up walking out with an almost new Blue Label RTF2 G19 with night sights for a steal.
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help in this thread.
CJ

Alpha Sierra
01-08-12, 18:50
I've never owned an L frame but I can state for a fact that a 3 or 4 inch K frame is easier to conceal than any Glock.

Crawls
01-08-12, 19:50
I've never owned an L frame but I can state for a fact that a 3 or 4 inch K frame is easier to conceal than any Glock.

Good to know. I have a deal in the works for an old Model 15, so it will be interesting to compare. My hunt for a 357 Mag revolver will continue. I just couldn't pass up the smokin' deal on the G19 this afternoon.

Jake'sDad
01-22-12, 14:54
I agree about your reservation on the 2.5" barrel. After reading up on the performance of a 357 through shorter barrels, it seems like an awful lot of bulk for relatively little performance. Now, if the NG had 4" barrel, I'd be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

For some reason, the engineers at Smith can't figure out there's a market for lightweight fixed sight 4" revolvers. At least Bill Laughridge makes it possible.