PDA

View Full Version : 2008 all over again?

VIP3R 237
01-02-12, 02:12
Here we are facing another election year, think we'll see another craze on firearms and ammo like we did in 2008? How do you guys think this will effect the ar15 and other black guns market this year? I for one am saving every cent I have to get an arsenal sgl21 before november "just in case" and also the thought has crossed my mind of buying some psa/dti kits just to sell if things go into election inflation again.

EDIT: I scrapped the arsenal idea, im going lowers bcgs and mags instead.

Joker
01-02-12, 02:32
I think there will be if nothing more than the fact that many idiots will be running around thinking the world as we know it will be ending later this year.:rolleyes:

skyugo
01-02-12, 02:38
I think i'm gonna buy 10k of primers before summer. The primer shortage last time around really put the squeeze on my shooting. :mad:

I think gun people are probably a bit less freaked out this time around. supporting gun control in the last 10 years is a good way to lose your job as a politician except in the most liberal parts of the country.

as far as the 2012 thing isn't the universe supposed to turn inside out? I don't see how a firearm would be much help there.

J8127
01-02-12, 02:45
I think it's going to depend on who wins. If he gets re-elected then yea, there will be a run on guns, probably worse than 2008.

If some one like say...Paul wins, no, I don't think it will happen.

CGFS
01-02-12, 03:00
I think it's going to depend on who wins. If he gets re-elected then yea, there will be a run on guns, probably worse than 2008.

If some one like say...Paul wins, no, I don't think it will happen.

We could only be so lucky.

Vash1023
01-02-12, 03:28
i remember reading somewhere that obama was supposedly loading up for an anti guns run if he gets re-elected.

so yes it would make sense if he does get his second term

anthony1
01-02-12, 05:27
We hold a 1 seat pro 2a advantage in the SCOTUS. IF one retires, dies, whatever AND Obama is still around and gets to pick we could really be screwed. This is a very likely scenario.

Spiffums
01-02-12, 05:31
I suspect some of the aholes on TOS will have their $10 mags on sale for $50 if O gets re-elected.

I'm stocking up on ammo this year just because I'm running low on my minimum safe level in the ammo cabinets.

The_War_Wagon
01-02-12, 06:04
I was in the biggest gun shop in sw PA last Thursday, around 1:30pm. It was as full as you might have expected on Saturday at 10am during a special promotion or sale! This is a shop with over a dozen floor staff, and it took us 15 minutes to get someone's attention!

The salesman we worked with said there's a DEFINITE increase in buying going on. He's worked there for 15 years - he thinks it's 1993-94/2008-09 all over again. :eek:

Redline
01-02-12, 07:12
FYI, Just heard on FNC that 12/23 was the 2nd highest day ever for gun sales at 102k sold. Also, I was at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA like 3 months ago and their gun counter is like 50-75 yds long with maybe good 15-20 people working back there at once. They have one of those take a number things. I took a number and I had to wait for almost 1 hr before I got called. BTW, if u haven't been to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA u gotta make the pilgrimage. What an unbelieveable place.

Vash1023
01-02-12, 07:26
We hold a 1 seat pro 2a advantage in the SCOTUS. IF one retires, dies, whatever AND Obama is still around and gets to pick we could really be screwed. This is a very likely scenario.

this was exactly what i was referring to. thank you

Sry0fcr
01-02-12, 07:51

Doubtful anyone would retire or suddenly croak and the court suddenly reverses itself a few years after striking down sweeping bans and validating te right as individual. Besides that if Barry didn't get it done with a Democratic Congress he not going to get it done Republican House and a narrow advantage in the Senate. I don't think this will stop the NRA from whipping the mouthbreathers among us into a frothy panic (gotta get donation$) and running up prices on everything again.

mkmckinley
01-02-12, 07:54
Gun ownership and popular support for pro-2A legislation is at an all time high. I also think most of the fears that people had in 2008 were based on people not knowing what Obama would be like, i.e. fear of the unknown. I feel like this time around people will be a lot less freaked out.

Hmac
01-02-12, 07:56
I think there will be if nothing more than the fact that many idiots will be running around thinking the world as we know it will be ending later this year.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Probably some ammo shortages, but definitely shortages of generators, dried food, and tin foil.

Gunfighter 9
01-02-12, 08:08
Just going to go on record as saying that if you wait till a few months before the election to panic and run out buying guns, ammo, and food in preparation for the apacolypse, you have waited to ****ing long. Instead of hording people need to get involved in politics and pay attention to who they vote for. Perhaps the slick looking young guy isn't always the best candidate? Perhaps if people spent even one quarter as much time following political topics as they do on sports, movies, music, celebrity gossip, and reality tv, elections wouldn't be such scary times. Maybe if people were a little damned smarter, and paid attention to who they voted for they wouldn't have to shit themselves every time the Presidency comes up for re-election. I would love nothing more than to see Obama out of office, but I fear that current crop of Republican candidates just aren't going to cut it. My guess is that they will try to out due each other to impress the extreme right with anti-gay marriage, family values, etc, and alienate altogether the moderates, and let's face it the extreme right just doesn't make up enough of the country to swing an election. My prediction is Obama by a land slide, because the Republican Party is still too divided.

usmcvet
01-02-12, 08:22
FYI, Just heard on FNC that 12/23 was the 2nd highest day ever for gun sales at 102k sold. Also, I was at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA like 3 months ago and their gun counter is like 50-75 yds long with maybe good 15-20 people working back there at once. They have one of those take a number things. I took a number and I had to wait for almost 1 hr before I got called. BTW, if u haven't been to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA u gotta make the pilgrimage. What an unbelieveable place.

It obviously works for them but there is No Way I woukd wait in line an hour at a gun shop when I can shoo locally or online with excellent pricing and service.

Redline
01-02-12, 08:53
It obviously works for them but there is No Way I woukd wait in line an hour at a gun shop when I can shoo locally or online with excellent pricing and service.

I live in the commie state of NJ and I do have gun shops here. But I like going to Cabela's on purpose cause it's like being at Disney World for me (can't wait to take my son). And they do have excellent svc. I went to buy my son his first rifle, a chipmunk with walnut stock. He's only 10 months old so he's a bit young still. I'd say another 2 yrs and he'll be ready:). Anyway, there was this young kid helping me. The display model looked beautiful, perfect wood color, etc. He brought one out that I didn't like cause the wood was much lighter. Then he brought me another one that had the bolt fit tighter when closing it than the other one. Then he brought one that had good wood color and good fitting bolt, but the bolt was dirty. He took the bolt to the back and cleaned it up real nice for me. This kid spent like a half hr with me for a $160 sale. I wanted to give him a tip but he said he couldn't accept it. Good svc.

viperashes
01-02-12, 09:06
Just going to go on record as saying that if you wait till a few months before the election to panic and run out buying guns, ammo, and food in preparation for the apacolypse, you have waited to ****ing long. Instead of hording people need to get involved in politics and pay attention to who they vote for. Perhaps the slick looking young guy isn't always the best candidate? Perhaps if people spent even one quarter as much time following political topics as they do on sports, movies, music, celebrity gossip, and reality tv, elections wouldn't be such scary times. Maybe if people were a little damned smarter, and paid attention to who they voted for they wouldn't have to shit themselves every time the Presidency comes up for re-election. I would love nothing more than to see Obama out of office, but I fear that current crop of Republican candidates just aren't going to cut it. My guess is that they will try to out due each other to impress the extreme right with anti-gay marriage, family values, etc, and alienate altogether the moderates, and let's face it the extreme right just doesn't make up enough of the country to swing an election. My prediction is Obama by a land slide, because the Republican Party is still too divided.

Get your logic the **** out of my Marine Corps... err.... America, I mean. :rolleyes:

This would make too much sense. It would never work. People are too facinated by which strange dick Kim Kardashian or Snooky is chasing after to give a damn about real world issues going on inside of our own country. :suicide:

usmcvet
01-02-12, 09:33
I live in the commie state of NJ and I do have gun shops here. But I like going to Cabela's on purpose cause it's like being at Disney World for me (can't wait to take my son). And they do have excellent svc. I went to buy my son his first rifle, a chipmunk with walnut stock. He's only 10 months old so he's a bit young still. I'd say another 2 yrs and he'll be ready:). Anyway, there was this young kid helping me. The display model looked beautiful, perfect wood color, etc. He brought one out that I didn't like cause the wood was much lighter. Then he brought me another one that had the bolt fit tighter when closing it than the other one. Then he brought one that had good wood color and good fitting bolt, but the bolt was dirty. He took the bolt to the back and cleaned it up real nice for me. This kid spent like a half hr with me for a $160 sale. I wanted to give him a tip but he said he couldn't accept it. Good svc.

Sounds like Excellent customer service. I bought my son his first .22 a Marlin when he was 3 months old. :D It was not until I reply looked at it months later I decided it was a no go. The safety and trigger sucked. I traded it in for a Savage Cub and have since bought the same in pink for my daughters. The savage has a real safety and cocks with the manipulation of the action/bolt not by killing the rear of the bolt. It also has a rear peep sight and decent trigger.

amd5007
01-02-12, 09:48
Gun ownership and popular support for pro-2A legislation is at an all time high. I also think most of the fears that people had in 2008 were based on people not knowing what Obama would be like, i.e. fear of the unknown. I feel like this time around people will be a lot less freaked out.

I certainly agree. But the problem still remains: fear. Go back to Psych 101, fear is the most powerful human emotion. And in our materialist/consumerist society what do we fear the most: not having what we desire or the inability to obtain that which we want.

People may have been afraid of the unknown Barack Obama, but I've heard some people at gunshops talk about how this is his last term and it will be a no-holds-barred attack on gunrights so stock up now.

This past week a guy behind the counter tried to push me over the edge to buy a FNP-45. After I told him I would wait 6 months to a year, he replied, in no uncertain terms, "in a year you won't be able to get one of these." Whether or not he meant Obama or a 2008esque run, I don't know. But he was employing that fear of not being able to buy what I want in order to sell guns.

All that to say, I won't be running around buying every last BCM BCG, but I expect others will.

warpigM-4
01-02-12, 09:53
In Dec a reported 1.5 million people went through the Background check for firearm Purchases(FBI report) ,A lot of it was said to be because of Local and federal cut backs on Law enforcement .

I know here the Sheriffs office in the central county Laid off over 60 Officers and another 62 support staff .

we all Know it will be worst as 2008 Because if re-elected he will pass anti gun laws . I am thinking of going to a Gun show this coming weekend just to see if it already begun .

lets just Hope that the Morons that voted O in don't get back out to the polls or that they realized his Change did nothing for any of us.

I have a Nice little stash of Pmags I know back in 08 people wanted 40-50 for them :eek:
I might pick up another stripped lower just to sit in the safe

jet66
01-02-12, 09:54
Just going to go on record as saying that if you wait till a few months before the election to panic and run out buying guns, ammo, and food in preparation for the apacolypse, you have waited to ****ing long.
After living in FL for almost 3 decades, I have to say that such behavior is unlikely to ever change in the 'average Joe.' Every year we have a hurricane season, but everyone waits until just hours before a predicted landfall to go buy food, water, gas, and materials to board up their homes. It's the old grasshopper and the ant fable, the story is timeless for a reason. :D

My guess is that they will try to out due each other to impress the extreme right with anti-gay marriage, family values, etc, and alienate altogether the moderates, and let's face it the extreme right just doesn't make up enough of the country to swing an election.
I agree. Now is the time to run on solutions for the problems affecting everyone, not platitudes that cater to 'the party base' with little to no real effect on policy. Again, something that likely won't change. :(

Caeser25
01-02-12, 10:05
In Dec a reported 1.5 million people went through the Background check for firearm Purchases(FBI report) ,A lot of it was said to be because of Local and federal cut backs on Law enforcement .

I know here the Sheriffs office in the central county Laid off over 60 Officers and another 62 support staff .

we all Know it will be worst as 2008 Because if re-elected he will pass anti gun laws .

How? He's not a dictator. It would never pass the House. The repukes might even get the senate. Scotus is where we are most vulnerable if he gets reelected again.

dp509
01-02-12, 10:11
I work part time at the local gun shop. :jester:

There are still a lot of items that we are on allocation to get.

Thus, we are only allowed one or two for the month.

Most of our customers are consolidating calibers.

Reason: Availability and Price.

We are seeing a big resurgence in 9mm.

We also have people sticking with common deer rifle calibers.

No Magnums or Short Mags, just .243, .270, .308 or 30/06.

Each unto his own.

C4IGrant
01-02-12, 10:14
Here we are facing another election year, think we'll see another craze on firearms and ammo like we did in 2008? I for one am saving every cent I have to get an arsenal sgl21 before november "just in case" and also the thought has crossed my mind of buying some psa/dti kits just to sell if things go into election inflation again.

Yes. We are already seeing it. Our 2011 sales were up nearly $400K from 2010.

We had so many sales on New Year's Eve Night that I thought there was something going. Usually, sales are dead as people are out having a good time. Strange.

C4

Doc Safari
01-02-12, 10:23
People may have been afraid of the unknown Barack Obama, but I've heard some people at gunshops talk about how this is his last term and it will be a no-holds-barred attack on gunrights so stock up now.

This is the engine driving any new panic IMHO.

His statement about gun control 'under the radar' spooked a lot of people.

The Republican candidates have a case of inadequate-itis, and I think people are beginning to see the Republican nominee as John McCain no matter who it is.

I'm not in panic mode yet, but I did make a couple of purchases that I might have put off in a non-election year.

Wait until about spring or summer and you may find a lot of things out of stock.

C4IGrant
01-02-12, 10:23
I think i'm gonna buy 10k of primers before summer. The primer shortage last time around really put the squeeze on my shooting. :mad:

I think gun people are probably a bit less freaked out this time around. supporting gun control in the last 10 years is a good way to lose your job as a politician except in the most liberal parts of the country.

as far as the 2012 thing isn't the universe supposed to turn inside out? I don't see how a firearm would be much help there.

Buying primers is a good idea.

In 2008/2009, we saw shortages of the following:

1. AR parts (everything, especially Bolts and BCG's)
2. AR Mags
3. AR's (complete)
4. Ammo (380 Auto was the worst)
5. Pistols
6. Pistol mags
7. Reloading supplies (especially primers and brass)
8. Stripped AR Lowers
9. Optics (seeing this now with Aimpoint)
10. AR furniture (especially Magpul stocks and grips).

Colt AR's were being bid to $1800-$2k on GunBroker. :eek:

I personally think this year will be WORSE than 2008. Why? Because there is a REALLY GOOD CHANCE that we will see BHO again and this time he will be a lame duck President. All gloves will be off and he will do whatever he wants. Since we KNOW that he is anti-gun, I think we will see some type of ban, reform or tariff done to the shooting community.

To make matters worse, the world ends on Dec. 21st (my Son's B-day). :D

C4

Doc Safari
01-02-12, 10:29
I personally think this year will be WORSE than 2008. Why? Because there is a REALLY GOOD CHANCE that we will see BHO again and this time he will be a lame duck President. All gloves will be off and he will do whatever he wants. Since we KNOW that he is anti-gun, I think we will see some type of ban, reform or tariff done to the shooting community.

C4

What really worries me is that they cooked up Fast and Furious in his first term. Since that operation didn't go so well, what's going to happen when they double-down and try to not only redeem that fiasco but come up with something worse?

C4IGrant
01-02-12, 10:30
This is the engine driving any new panic IMHO.

His statement about gun control 'under the radar' spooked a lot of people.

The Republican candidates have a case of inadequate-itis, and I think people are beginning to see the Republican nominee as John McCain no matter who it is.

I'm not in panic mode yet, but I did make a couple of purchases that I might have put off in a non-election year.

Wait until about spring or summer and you may find a lot of things out of stock.

Right. This only adds to the problem.

C4

blasternank
01-02-12, 10:30
Doubtful anyone would retire or suddenly croak and the court suddenly reverses itself a few years after striking down sweeping bans and validating te right as individual. Besides that if Barry didn't get it done with a Democratic Congress he not going to get it done Republican House and a narrow advantage in the Senate. I don't think this will stop the NRA from whipping the mouthbreathers among us into a frothy panic (gotta get donation$) and running up prices on everything again.

Kennedy has already indicated he will be retiring after this next election! That's the "swing" vote right there. If you don't think that is important you need to reconsider. One more puke and all these magazine bans, onerous restrictions, cities making things up as they please will all but gut out the previous victories. Also, if you think a liberal court would not reverse itself in a few years you are in denial. Has there been any point to which Harry Reid, Charles Schumer or Nancy Pelosi haven't been ashamed to sink? There's not a point low enough to shame them or cause them to pause to implement their power grabs and paybacks.

I think it is real that many people will buy more guns, ammo and supplies this year. Erick Holder will use every tool and trick to stop importation of different firearms/mags, etc. and President Obama will do many horrific things via executive fiat. He has indicated so much so to the Brady campaign. Realize the danger, prepare for it and fight for it. If your candidate does not get in through the primary systems support the one that does because we've learned plenty by going 3rd party. That's what got us Clinton and the AWB.

warpigM-4
01-02-12, 10:43
How? He's not a dictator. It would never pass the House. The repukes might even get the senate. Scotus is where we are most vulnerable if he gets reelected again.

well your right:D I didn't mean He himself would throw out a Law as he doesn't have that power. But he would be willing to sign any anti-gun Bill that comes across his desk. But you are right we are Most vulnerable in the SCOTUS.

JSantoro
01-02-12, 10:44
This is a GD topic, not AR GD.

OP, if you're gonna try to do an end-around play on your 200-post restriction from posting topics in GD, at least have the brains to do it by making your "market report" topic revolve around the purchase of an AR pattern gun, instead of an Arsenal AK pattern gun and then try to shorhorn it into the AR/M4 sections.

You wanna try to be slick, then try being slicker than this guy:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8249/phillip2.jpg

Irish
01-02-12, 14:25
BHO has not relented and the anti-gun agenda is still being pushed. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/12/28/president-obamas-anti-gun-agenda-shows-no-sign-stopping/

Although he signed the spending bill into law, he simultaneously issued a so-called "signing statement," a note that presidents have started attaching to legislation stating how they interpret the law they are signing or whether they believe part of it is unconstitutional.

Obama’s statement claimed that Congress couldn’t put restrictions on how he wanted to spend to fund lobbying for gun control and the National Institute of Health studies of gun control.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-st-louis/obama-violates-his-own-words-defying-congrss-to-advance-gun-control-agenda

Additional provisions in this bill, including section 8013 of Division A and section 218 of Division F, purport to restrict the use of funds to advance certain legislative positions. I have advised the Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress's consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient.

AND HERE IS SECTION 218

Sec. 218. None of the funds made available in this title may be used, in whole or in part, to advocate or promote gun control.

Another article, same subject. http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/10378-obamas-anti-gun-agenda-remains-alive-and-well

Armati
01-02-12, 15:40

Yep! He will do every signing statement and executive order he can. He will direct all of his agencies to be as anti-gun as possible. If he can directly regulate it he will.

New anti-gun legislation will be moved thru Congress. Even if it fails it will result in even more panic buying.

Newt Romney have proven records of being for "reasonable" gun control. I don't see them making any pro-gun changes at the ATF (like ending barrel bans).

Buy now, buy often, keep buying. If you have any extra cash sitting around then buy. I personally have never lost money on a gun.

scottryan
01-02-12, 19:09
2011 sold the most firearms. Even more than 2008.

VIP3R 237
02-25-12, 11:26
I know this thread hasnt been hit in over a month but im thinking its going to be alot worse. One of my best friends works at the sportsmans warehouse here in town and he was telling me that most companies are months out and bushmaster, dpms, and one other I cant remember are at least a year out on backorder. His buyer is saying that gun and ammo sales are up 200% company wide and at the rate things are selling and how hard it is to replentish they're expecting to be at 50% inventory levels in 45-60 days. So I wouldnt wait too long to purchase a firearm if youre planning on it this year.

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-12, 15:17
One of my best friends works at the sportsmans warehouse here in town and he was telling me that most companies are months out and bushmaster, dpms, and one other I cant remember are at least a year out on backorder. His buyer is saying that gun and ammo sales are up 200% company wide and at the rate things are selling and how hard it is to replentish they're expecting to be at 50% inventory levels in 45-60 days. So I wouldnt wait too long to purchase a firearm if youre planning on it this year.

Thank gawd the masses have never heard of DD, BCM, Noveske, etc. :cool:

I just finished putting together two new ARs a BCM LW Middy and a DD LW M4V5 because I did not want to have regret later for sitting on my ass and not getting stuff now.