PDA

View Full Version : SP1 Itch. School me on prices/features

captain92
01-02-12, 10:35
I have got the itch to pick up a full-size SP1. Could some of the experts on here chime in and advise me of what I should look for regarding pricing, used vs new, questions to ask the sellers, wear points, any certain year etc?

I frequent gunbroker and have several on my watch list right now. There is a new one for around 1400, I may be able to get the guy down some, am thinking of offering him. Also, several used models with various degrees of use.

Seems that many of the sellers have these things overpriced by a few hundred bucks.

Thanks

blackjack_03
01-02-12, 15:22
I'm not sure what prices are on SP-1 but another option is to buy an M16A1 complete upper and furniture off of arfcom EE, pick up a nodak spud lower and an lpk and you would have a good looking rifle for around 700-800 bucks.

TOrrock
01-02-12, 18:02
Unless it's brand new in the box, $1400 is too much, unless you live in NY or another ban state.

Honestly, excellent condition rifles shouldn't really be bringing much more than $1K, and go down from there.

If it's a first or second year rifle, then that will bring more money.

Two sites that will have serial # ranges and features of the SP-1 are:

http://retroblackrifle.com/

and

www.biggerhammer.net

scottryan
01-02-12, 19:53
Unless it's brand new in the box, $1400 is too much, unless you live in NY or another ban state.

Honestly, excellent condition rifles shouldn't really be bringing much more than $1K, and go down from there.

If it's a first or second year rifle, then that will bring more money.

Two sites that will have serial # ranges and features of the SP-1 are:

http://retroblackrifle.com/

and

www.biggerhammer.net

I agree.

If it is the run-of-the-mill 1970s era gun with no box I would offer $800 and go no more than $1000 if you really want it. SP1s are really a dime a dozen and the most common AR-15 model ever made.

The barrel will be marked C MP CHROME BORE or C MP B

It will have a CM or CH forge code on the upper under the rear sight for the 1970s / early 1980s gun.

Paulinski
01-02-12, 21:25
Not to hi-jack the thread significantly. My 20" pencil barrel is marked C MP B on the bottom as opposed on the top in front of FSB.

Any significance in that?

captain92
01-04-12, 06:59
I appreciate the advice here. What I am finding is many sellers on gunbroker have the SP1s jacked wayyyy up in price. Am going to make a couple of semi-lowball offers, well see what happens. There are plenty of them out there, eventually someone will deal.

m4forme
01-04-12, 07:53
piece togeather a lower...

I picked up a complete Colt SP1 upper for $400

add a stripped lower for $50 on sale LPK $50 and find a used stock for around $50 and you into a SP1 for $550 you'll also need a front pin bushing for a mil-spec lower $3.00

Then it's Colt where it counts...

Here's a link to a picture of the one i built...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86429

I used to have to have the Colt Pony on all my AR's now i don't care...

ramairthree
05-20-12, 08:01
If you are doing it just to have one in the collection, find as nice an example all original that you can, and you should come in under a grand these days.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/ramairfour/Range%20Test/DSC00402.jpg

My first AR was a SP1 made around 80-82 by SN that I bought used in '84 or so.

You get a Colt, but you get a pencil barrel, no FA, front non-quick takedown pin, luggage handle, etc.

M-FOURTEEN
07-13-12, 13:49
You can't go wrong with an A1. Great guns for the money. I still have the one i learned to shoot with, in 20 years i have never had a single misfire or jam with that rifle.

davedolli
09-10-12, 19:47
I found a complete SP1 upper with all the furniture for $500, so like the other poster, I spent another $150 for a stripped lower and a parts kit. I Have a very nice rifle for only $650. I shoot it all the time, and love the A1 look, but I have been shooting them for over 40 years.

Dave