PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Carrier Group or spare bolt?

kVon
01-03-12, 11:53
I am going to be attending an EAG class this next summer. I have a complete LMT carbine and I have a BCM spare bolt. Some suggest bringing a spare BCG. Is the bolt the common part that breaks or something on the carrier?

I have a list of items to purchase before the class and don't want to spend unnecessarily.

C4IGrant
01-03-12, 12:04
I am going to be attending an EAG class this next summer. I have a complete LMT carbine and I have a BCM spare bolt. Some suggest bringing a spare BCG. Is the bolt the common part that breaks or something on the carrier?

I have a list of items to purchase before the class and don't want to spend unnecessarily.

The bolt is usually what breaks. Having a spare cam pin, firing pin, retaining pin is not a bad idea as well.

An entire BCG is a nice way to carry all those items and is a hot swap item. ;)

C4

USMC_Anglico
01-03-12, 13:45
Even better is a spare rifle. If you don't have one, no worries. Pat brings a veritable armory with him. It is usually much faster to borrow one of his rifles rather than mucking about trying to fix yours and missing training time. You can then square away your problems at the close of the day.

Then again, with quality kit (looks like you have some) the chance of a problem is much less likely.

kVon
01-03-12, 13:57
I wish I had a spare rifle to take , but the only people I know with an AR have a whopping 9 rounds down range..

I will try to get a carrier (complete) put together before the class. I'll be placing an order with you, Grant, for an H1 w/DD mount next check!:dance3:

titanse05
01-03-12, 15:20
An extra bolt at a minimum is good advice. My extra rifle carries my extra BCG. ;)

Tweak
01-03-12, 19:47
Is the bolt the common part that breaks or something on the carrier?

WEAR:
Extractor
Gas rings
Ejector
Bolt lugs to failure
Cam pin.

LOSS:
Extractor pin
Firing pin retaining pin

DAMAGE:
Firing pin
Carrier key

A tested bolt better than nothing, a BCG better still, a spare rifle best of all.

markm
01-04-12, 08:04
An extra bolt at a minimum is good advice. My extra rifle carries my extra BCG. ;)

My thoughts exactly.

kVon
01-04-12, 20:55
Thanks for the help guys. I'll see if I can get a complete spare BCG put together.

davidjinks
01-05-12, 08:22
OP

Check the EE forums here. I know there are a few members who sell/are selling complete BCGs. Scottryan is ususally selling complete Colt BCGs, good guy to deal with.

Bravo Company also has some stellar deals on their BCGs as well.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-05-12, 08:56
Thanks for the help guys. I'll see if I can get a complete spare BCG put together.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM

Looks like Grant has BCGs in stock at the moment.

d90king
01-05-12, 11:22
It's always a good idea if you are a shooter to have a cloned back up training rig and a few BCG's in your part box.

I always rape them out of Colts and then sell the uppers stripped :D

kVon
01-05-12, 16:43
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM

Looks like Grant has BCGs in stock at the moment.

I can't go to his site without this overpowering urge to purchase my H1 w/DD mount... Tempting.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-05-12, 18:28
I can't go to his site without this overpowering urge to purchase my H1 w/DD mount... Tempting.

Just give in man and click "add to cart".