PDA

View Full Version : Best Upper for my SPR

bates
01-03-12, 12:55
Ripped apart my 18in upper over the weekend to paint the SS WOA 18in SPR barrel.

while i am at it i am swapping handguards and reconfiguring some guns.

it looks like i need an extra upper to complete everything

is one better than the other?

this upper will be used in some competitions looking for Accuracy and most solid platform for my build

looking at the Rainer Ultra Match Billet or just pick up a Noveske Forged

any advantage with either?

snakedoctor
01-04-12, 08:45
Ever thought about giving an OBR a try?

elnino31
01-04-12, 21:19
Not sure how much this will help, but here goes.

My advice, choose a billet upper of your liking (mine is vltor). If minizing/eliminating receiver flex actually has a significant effect on accuracy then you will reap the benefits. And if not, you will have a damm fine looking rifle that you "believe" eliminates/minimizes receiver flex to create a more accurate gun.

It's a win/win.:D

TehLlama
01-05-12, 01:43
Noveske uses the VLTOR MUR-1A's, they're the nicest forged units, and the same style as their older billet models.

TangoSauce
02-13-12, 02:19
I have a Noveske SPR. Rainier is good kit too.

buckjay
02-13-12, 19:16
I would go with a MUR-1A or a Larue Stealth upper receiver if I was building a SPR.

Asiantactical
03-16-12, 01:19
I just bought the HCS (High Caliber Sales) MK12 Mod 1 upper. This the real deal, identical specs to the Crane issue to our Troops. It can not get better than this. NO Doubt!

justin_247
03-16-12, 06:37
For a precision rifle, the VLTOR MUR is probably the way to go. It was specifically designed with that purpose in mind.

IDFtrooper
03-18-12, 01:57
I just bought the HCS (High Caliber Sales) MK12 Mod 1 upper. This the real deal, identical specs to the Crane issue to our Troops. It can not get better than this. NO Doubt!

Where did you buy it? Is their website working? I can't get to it from my phone. Them or centurion arms website.

rob_s
03-18-12, 06:33
I have begun to encounter some rail alignment issues, more noticeable as I get longer handguards, recently. With all else being equal I suspect that what is an acceptable tolerance in the barrel nut mounting for standard handguards or even shorter free-float handguards is looser than the requirement for a longer handguard where a small degree of offset is amplified over the longer length.

I have a box where I put parts that I try and determine are better suited for a precision rifle. In that box are a Magpul UBR, Geissele trigger, and a Vltor MUR upper. I think the MUR offers an advantage in terms of tolerance for this type of project. I recently mounted a 12.0 Lancer carbon fiber forend on one and had zero alignment issues.

Pappabear
03-20-12, 17:07
Got a couple Vltor's , good stuff.

TangoSauce
03-25-12, 19:46
I would go with a MUR-1A or a Larue Stealth upper receiver if I was building a SPR.

I have MUR and LaRue uppers for each one of my SPRs. Sound advice brotha. You can get the LaRue upper at skdtac with M4 ramps as I don't believe they have them on the Stealth upper on the LaRue website.

TMS951
03-26-12, 11:07
A little more than what you are after, but I have a Vltor VIS for my Noveske spr barrel.

It is heavy, but I think it is worth it to have a monolithic upper for less flex.

I can bend things like my KAC URXII just gripping it tightly, I noticed this when I thought my rail mounted laser had shifted zero. It was just me pushing on the rail.

The VIS does not do this, which makes me happy when I am doing things like pushing into a bipod. It also allows me to mount my scope further forward, which is nice, its a Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x32 and has "too much" eye relief to use with an A1 length stock.

With all that said, for just an upper I would use the Vltor MUR, its still forged but has tighter tolerances. I also hear Mega Machine has very tight tolerances. However I am not speaking from personal experience on that.

ra2bach
03-26-12, 21:52

in what way is this the best?

Pappabear
03-26-12, 22:01

I thought this stuff low end errornet builds? :nono:

bates
03-27-12, 12:58
snagged a MUR, very happy with how it came out.

This is a multi use rifle for me. Hunting, 2-gun competition, general use

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/cbbates3/93c8d785.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/cbbates3/daeea8d4.jpg

40Arpent
03-27-12, 15:28
I thought this stuff low end errornet builds? :nono:

Huh? You are not mixing up High Caliber Sales with Model 1 Sales are you?