PDA

View Full Version : SKS went burst on me!!

CRAMBONE
01-03-12, 21:11
Went to the range yesterday with some buddies, and decided to take my Norinco SKS with me since I haven't shot it lately. (Back story- I traded some gear and ten dollars to a pawn shop 3 1/2 years ago for the rifle. I shot less than 10 rounds through it then. It was failing to load and missing the butt plate. So I did a detail cleaning and put it away until I could get a butt plate. And now to present time.) I loaded 5 rounds and shot them off with no problems. Loaded 10 more rounds and when I squeezed off the first round the rifle shot a two round burst. I shot the next 8 rounds and loaded 5 more for a buddy and no problems (ie no full-auto or burst).

I have checked the rifle over for broken parts and nothing catches my eye. I haven't seen anything that would point to the previous owner trying to make it full-auto at home. I am wondering if it was just a slam fire.

Is there anything in particular I should check or parts I need to change out?

cptx123
01-03-12, 21:35
Stuck firing pin?

tpd223
01-03-12, 21:36
Take the bolt apart and clean out the firing pin and inside of the bolt. You can get slam fires with the SKS if the firing pin gets gunked up and sticks.

Dave_M
01-03-12, 21:50
Cosmoline crud often causes the firing pin to stick forward on those things. Disassemble and clean the BCG thoroughly and it should be just fine.

CRAMBONE
01-03-12, 22:40
OK, Ill break it down and clean it tomorrow. Maybe that will fix it.

I was thinking if something broke it would have dumped the mag, right?

Fail-Safe
01-03-12, 22:55
You can find bolt disssembly instructions on line. Be liberal with brake cleaner.

If it persists, check the disconnect spring.

CumbiaDude
01-03-12, 23:10
One other thing to keep in mind, besides cleaning the firing pin channel, is soft-primer commercial ammo can be more prone to go off like that. Might've been a slightly harder hit from the firing pin or perhaps a slightly thinner primer. Could stack and be JUST enough to get an extra round to go off.

Todd.K
01-03-12, 23:13
Clean the firing pin out. If it's not full or grease or fouling don't shoot or load it. The safety only blocks the trigger, so if the sear is bad the SKS can fire unexpectedly even with the safety engaged.

The sear on some of the Chinese made for export SKS's either missed the hardening step or were made from crap steel that didn't harden properly.

"WARNING: We hereby provide written notice to you that some Chinese SKS semiautomatic rifles may pose a serious risk of bodily injury or death.

Some of these rifles may have a manufacturing defect of the engaging surfaces in the trigger-hammer-sear assembly, which can cause intermittent failure of the sear to hold the hammer in a cocked position. This condition can result in the unexpected firing as a round is chambered, without pulling the trigger, or if the weapon is jarred or dropped. This condition may also result in sudden and unexpected automatic fire and loss of control of the firing weapon."
http://firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%202.htm#Chinese SKS

lloydkristmas
01-03-12, 23:15
What type of ammo were you using? "American Eagle" in the red boxes is notorious for slam firing in the SKS. I've seen it happen on two occasions with different guns, and I've heard about it several more times.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-05-12, 17:25
Clean your firing pin channel and your firing pin with brake cleaner, hoppes, etc. take a hair dryer to dry it out really well. Then put it all back together. Shake your bolt and make sure the free floating firing pin rattles in the bolt.
You could also drop the bolt and firing pin in boiling water to clean as another method and dry like above.
If all this fails and it still sticks order an aftermarket spring loaded firing pin that will prevent it from sticking.

Shoot anything but American commercial ammo, unless you get the spring loaded fp.This due to softer primers.

blackgt85
01-06-12, 21:28
Go to www.sksboards.com. There is a guy over there by the name of Ben Murray who makes a kit that has a new firing pin and a spring. It is supposed to be the fix. As soon as I pick up my Yugo 59/66A1, I will be sending my bolt to him to have the fix done. His business webite is www.murraysguns.com.... Hope this helps.

Justin

Todd.K
01-07-12, 09:40
Don't dismiss the possibility that the sear may be the problem. It happened to me back in the day. I had a double at the range, and someone there told me to clean the firing pin. I cleaned it, but didn't find any grease or excess fouling. A couple weeks later I was walking in the woods hunting squirrels with a buddy, and it just went off. Both of us immediately confirmed the safety was still on.

I disassembled the trigger group and the sear had a scary amount of wear/displaced metal.

Quiet-Matt
01-07-12, 10:15
If you do find that the sear is the problem, AIM has Albanian sears, firing pins, and other small parts HERE (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=SP20&name=SKS+Sear&groupid=72).

anthony1
01-10-12, 02:06
Thats one of the downsides to cheap surplus weapons, sometimes they can be downright dangerous.

l have 2 surplus pistols that will fire if their even lightly bumped when their cocked, not safe. Luckily l found out with a snap cap.

Dave_M
01-12-12, 18:10
Thats one of the downsides to cheap surplus weapons, sometimes they can be downright dangerous.

l have 2 surplus pistols that will fire if their even lightly bumped when their cocked, not safe. Luckily l found out with a snap cap.

Yep. Had a Chicomm copy of the C96 dump a whole mag on me before.

CRAMBONE
01-18-12, 21:03
-Sorry guys, been away from the computer for awhile. So day after leaving the range and posting this I tore the rifle completely apart. I soaked every working part in paint thinner over night. After that pulled I pulled everything out wiped everything off and let it dry and then lubed it up and put it back together.
-Took the rifle to the range Sunday to try it again. Well, shot one pulled the trigger on the second and nothing. When I let off the trigger the rifle went off. After that incident the next few rounds went "fine" (other than the trigger pull being HORRIBLY in consistent). Loaded a few more rounds and then it wouldn't fire when I pulled the trigger again so I let off the trigger and said screw it, put the rifle on safe and it went off.

-So Im thinking a new trigger group is in order. Any other ideas guys?
-Also ,not trying to turn this junker into an illegal weapon guys, if someone decided to "make me un em chine' guns" with an SKS what parts would they **** with?

Straight Shooter
01-18-12, 22:55
Yes...youve definately got a f-upped trigger assembly.
However...one more thing will cause A LOT of SKS rifles to double fire
is milking the trigger, target shooter style. Ive owned a dozen or more SK's and shot many more, and milking the trigger will cause some to double up. Ive got one now, that I can shoot all day, then try to slowly squeeze off a shot and it will double.
Matter of fact, had a nice M1 Garand that did the same thing from time to time.

Fail-Safe
01-19-12, 02:45
When you shake the bolt does the firing pin move freely? I know you said you soaked the gun, but cosmoline, grime, and gunk have ways of hiding. Sometimes they need high pressure of brake cleaner.

Todd.K
01-19-12, 10:02
-So Im thinking a new trigger group is in order. Any other ideas guys?

Put the money you would spend on the trigger group into an AK.

CRAMBONE
01-19-12, 21:13
Put the money you would spend on the trigger group into an AK.

Already got one, thanks though. Im trying to save up for one of your rifles now. If I could just get my wife to cooperate. :secret:

And yes the firing pin moves freely in the bolt. Ill see how much a new trigger group and the spring loaded firing pin are, and if I think they aren't worth it the SKS will get put in the "shoot for an exciting time" pile.

CRAMBONE
01-19-12, 21:22
Yes...youve definately got a f-upped trigger assembly.
However...one more thing will cause A LOT of SKS rifles to double fire
is milking the trigger, target shooter style. Ive owned a dozen or more SK's and shot many more, and milking the trigger will cause some to double up. Ive got one now, that I can shoot all day, then try to slowly squeeze off a shot and it will double.
Matter of fact, had a nice M1 Garand that did the same thing from time to time.

Thanks for the heads up. I was defiantly doing that.

Todd.K
01-20-12, 10:30
Mine has been in a pile for years... I should have bought a trigger group when they were available (NOT Chinese) but I just don't think I'll trust it again. I know it was a material problem but I don't think much of the design as well.