PDA

View Full Version : Issues with BHPs

Failure2Stop
12-10-07, 05:41
I have experienced some odd stoppages with BHPs, was wondering if anyone else has experienced them.

Condition-
Firing BHP with a modern isosceles stance/grip, thumbs forward.
Right handed.

Issue-
Multiple stoppages- slide locking to rear with rounds in magazine. Multiple magazines, not magazine related.
Stoppage immediately rectified by immediate action.

Hypothesis-
Believe that left thumb is making contact with forward portion of slide stop during recoil, causing slide-stop to enage. Odd, as upward pressure to slide stop at forward portion should hold slide-stop engagement surface down.

Corrective Action-
Utilizing revolver type grip, with thumbs down, left locking right down. Not happy with this.

Anyone with HP experience that mirrors this or know of fixes?

Barry in IN
12-10-07, 12:50
You are probably right in suspecting your grip.
I used to shoot with my weak/left hand thumb planted against the side of the frame's dust cover.

Then I got a HiPower, which I loved.
But I got a lot of slide locks with rounds in the magazine.
That grip put my left thumb right at the front end of the slide stop. It was as much under it as on it.
Like you said, upward pressure should lower the rear of the slide stop on a HiPower, but I figure I was keeping some contact with it throughout the recoil cycle and therefore pressing it either direction at some point. Sometimes it all timed together so it happened when the slide was fully to the rear so the stop could lock it open.

I changed my grip and locked my left thumb over my right (on the safety), keeping it clear, and haven't had it happen again.
It was kind of a goofy grip anyway, since my left hand was rotated around the frame so far in order to plant my short thumb where I did. I felt that by planting my thumb there, I was bracing the gun against the occasional bad trigger squeeze that would pull a shot to the left.
It made more sense to change my grip and work on my trigger pull in order to keep using a gun that I liked.