PDA

View Full Version : Dual Illumination vs LED Trijicon RMR

Sensei
01-04-12, 08:18
I've got a FNP45T that I plan to outfit with a micro red dot optic and I've settled on the RMR. However, I'm a little torn between the dual illumination version (RM04) with a 7 MOA amber dot vs the LED version with 8 MOA red dot (RMO2).

At first, I was leaning toward the dual illumination version due to some problems mentioned in this thread which I assumed were mainly seen in the LED version:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94864

I figured that the LED would be more susceptible to damage from recoil. Having said that, I was a little underwhelmed by the dual illumination brightness - especially at low light when using tritium illumination (a problem that I also have with my issued ACOGs over the years). Unfortunately, my favorite gun store did not have an assembled LED version to get a comparison on the brightness. Have any of you guys seen these two versions side-by-side and want to chime in on your preferred model?

montanadave
01-04-12, 09:26
I'm just tagging this thread to follow. I purchased an RM07 (Adjustable LED 6.5 MOA) for my FNP-45 Tactical as I wanted the brighter illumination for daytime use and I liked the on/off feature with the adjustable LED. That said, I don't even have it mounted on my pistol yet as it was on backorder for months and only showed up a week or so before Christmas.

Interested to hear what more knowledgable folks have to say.

Sensei
01-11-12, 16:50
Well, I answered my own question and pulled the trigger on the 8 MOA LED version (RM02). It is significantly brighter than the dual-illuminated version in low light. Let's see how it holds up after I put a few thousand rounds thru it.

Finally, the one I purchased online did not come with a black cover that I seem to remember on the identical version in a local gun store. Did any of you guys get a cover when you bought the RM02?

Just a Jarhead
01-12-12, 03:26
Did any of you guys get a cover when you bought the RM02?

Nope. Just a lens brush pen.

Just a Jarhead
01-12-12, 03:41
Nope. Just a lens brush pen.

ETA: Actually mine is a RMO1 (3.25 MOA) but you would think either the 01 or 02 would come with the same accessories.

Sensei
01-12-12, 11:12
Thanks Jarhead. Mine didn't even come with a lens pen :eek:

That's OK, I've got a ton of them from the other Trijicon products that I've accumulated over the years.

Did you mount yours on a pistol? If so, I'm curious as to how you like it. I made it out to the range this AM and put 100 rounds (limited time heading into work) through my FNP45. I was an average 0.2 sec slower on my first shot with the RMR. But to be fair, some of this is also the pistol as I do most of my timed shooting with a 9mm Glock or M&P with APEX DCAEK which are considerably smaller and lighter guns. I did notice that my follow-up shots were getting faster toward the end of today's session. I was also more accurate with 3rd round head shots.

Bottom line, I'll need at least another 500 round to see how I like it. I've seen videos of Chris Costa putting a RMR on a M&P compact, but I'm not buying the tradeoff in terms of size - especially if the slower first shot trend continues. Right now, I'm thinking that the RMR might be great for a nightstand gun as the RMR seems to be very useful in low light conditions.

Just a Jarhead
01-12-12, 12:10
Actually come to think of it, memory now tells me that the lens brush pen came with an ACOG, not the RMR. So you didn't get slighted and nothing came with the RMR. My RMR is mounted on a 45 offset on my shtf AR.

smschulz
01-14-12, 10:38
It is kind of scary leaving them on 24/7.
I put on my TA31F months ago and pulled out the rifle the other day and it was still going strong.

ARx3
01-14-12, 16:43
I have the RMR06 3.25 MOA adjustable LED dot on my FNP 45 Tactical. I now have 300 rounds through the pistol since installing the RMR. I also noticed my time to first shot was somewhat slower than with my Glocks (Gen 4 G-22,Gen 4 G-37, G-21SF) but as I get use to the sight and difference in the trigger on the FNP I am liking the results. The FNP is the only non-Glock pistol I have and it won't replace my Glocks for CCW or for competition at this time. I am however going to use it in a 2-day defensive pistol class in April to see how it performs.Below is a target I shot 2 weeks ago at 20 yds. with the RMR 16 shots. I shot as fast as I could aquire the dot and was pleased with the results. I was also 9 for 10 on 8" plates at 38 yds.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/SDC10005.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1124.jpg

ricksterr
02-06-12, 23:56
i like the rmr02 model myself. 2 year battery life should be good if I change it every 6 months. I think that for a carry/fighting piece, the red dot should never be off.

Cesiumsponge
02-07-12, 09:15
I'm running two RMR 02's on a pair of Glock 17 slides (one with the RMR in front of the rear sight, the other behind). One is a daily carry ccw and the other is a nightstand gun. They've run flawlessly and I've got about 1500 rounds through one, 1000 through a handgun course. I've taken it to 50 yards with no problems and I'd like to try 100 yards. I've run it from low/no light to bright sun and never had issues with dot brightness. I've even had an instructor try to wash out the dot from behind with a Surefire while I was shooting.

The only oddity is I had one battery go dead in my daily carry after about 9 months after purchase. I'm not sure how long the products have been sitting at the warehouse shelves though, as the RMR that died is always in a dark environment. The other RMR hasn't died yet so I'm going to leave that until the battery dies. I don't have any more long term data as I've only had this setup for about a year. I prefer the hands-free 02...one less thing to mess with and one less button to go wrong.

One note of warning...conceal carrying this thing will collect lint on the RMR window. It'll require a wiping now and then. I'm not sure what holster support is like for the FN but I've had no problems finding several holsters specific to an RMR Glock.

ARx3
02-09-12, 22:09
Cesiumsponge,
Like you I wanted to see how my RMR06 would do at 100 yds. The following shots were taken at 100yds from the rest pictured. I had to add 12 clicks of elevation from my 20 yd. zero (looks like 10 clicks would have been about right) as my POA was the orange oval.The load was my 200 gr. Precision RNF load that I use for GSSF matches.
This was 15 rounds,with 9 on target, 4 on the target backer and 2 misses.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1156.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1149.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG_1151.jpg

Cesiumsponge
02-10-12, 19:31
That is fantastic! Sounds like you can just do Kentucky windage and aim for the head and it should drop close to COM. I'm interested in getting some IPSC or similarly-shaped targets out at 100 yards now.

Did you find shooting off a rest awkward or strange? It felt really weird when I zeroed at 25 yards, trying to set the thing on a Protektor to take out as much self-induced jiggle as possible.

ARx3
02-10-12, 21:09
Before I adjusted the elevation on the RMR I was holding about 3" above the target backer and my shots were falling well below the orange POA on the target. My shots were also spread out more like a "pattern" than a group. After adding the 12 clicks of elevation and having a constant orange POA instead of an imaginary spot above the target to focus on made the group in the bottom photo possible.As for shooting from a rest I have never felt very comfortable when shooting a handgun from a rest unless it was a mechanical rest such as a Ransom rest. As you know yourself a red dot on a handgun is a lot different than one on a rifle. It will really let you see how unsteady your hold is in reality,even if you thought you were "rock steady".

Outlander Systems
06-24-16, 17:06
Does anyone know if the FO versions are compatible with NODs?

I had a chance to peep on a green one, and unlike my old reflex, the dot is not a grape cluster.

Eurodriver
06-24-16, 17:12
Does anyone know if the FO versions are compatible with NODs?

I had a chance to peep on a green one, and unlike my old reflex, the dot is not a grape cluster.

No they are not. RM06 or RM07 for you buddy.

Outlander Systems
06-24-16, 17:40
Rrrrrrrrroger that!

No they are not. RM06 or RM07 for you buddy.