PDA

View Full Version : Which upper? Newbie to rifles

Manic9803
01-04-12, 10:23
Morning guys, I've been scanning for the forums for about 6 weeks now trying to take in everything I can regarding the AR's. Here's my story, about three weeks ago I went out and purchased a lower receiver and buttstock. The lower is a Spikes tactical and I have a 6 point stock attached. From what I've read this is a mil spec lower and a decent quality company at that.

So I sit he trying to decide what my next step will be. Again I'm new to rifles, part of me says buy the upper complete with barrel and all. Other part of my says do your best and try to piece it together.

I know what I want my rifle to look like from seeing others. However I don't know what upper or barrel I need to get this same functionality and visual. I want a rifle that can be used in close quarters if needed. Flashlight attached, so looking for a setup with a 16" barrel. Could you guys recommend a decent upper? Considered a spikes upper with a 16" barrel. I want to attach quad rails so I can add a light and other accessories if needed. Thanks guys.

hec912
01-04-12, 10:33
I'm on the same boat :secret:

Moltke
01-04-12, 10:34
BCM makes good stuff, look here to get an idea of what you might want.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm

shua713
01-04-12, 10:49
daniel defense, bcm, colt. that is what I would buy. If you click on the orange search button at the top you will have more info than you know what to do with. Do some research!!

Vash1023
01-04-12, 10:52
or adams arms if you go the piston route

Cameron
01-04-12, 11:22
or adams arms if you go the piston route

Why on earth would anyone want to do that?

Buy a Colt, BCM or DD from Grant at G & R Tactical, http://www.GRTactical.com/ who is a site sponsor.

Cameron

st1650
01-04-12, 11:25

Buy a Colt, BCM or DD from Grant at G & R Tactical, who is a site sponsor.

Cameron

Or a Noveske if you have an extra 200$ laying around.

nml
01-04-12, 11:44
You need to figure out what type of handguard you want. You want to attach stuff, so do you want a quad-rail or modular tube?

http://store.troyind.com/v/vspfiles/photos/categories/51.jpg

Keep in mind BCM uppers don't include a BCG or charging handle so add $165-175 on whatever they sell when you are pricing them out with other companies.

ucrt
01-04-12, 11:58

Sell the Spike's Lower (plus maybe one or two other guns you don't shoot) and then, buy a Colt 6920 from G&R and start shooting it. There is not a better deal, value, bargain, etc. going...

At <$1000 everything else is a compromise. You cannot build as good a gun for cheaper.

But maybe it's just me...

nineteenkilo
01-04-12, 12:19
The Colt is certainly a nice weapon at that price point, but it may not be what you see for yourself. Do you have a picture of what it is that you want as far as set-up goes?

That would be more helpful than anything.

Failure2Stop
01-04-12, 12:34
Easy answer:
Colt 6920 or 6720
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920U&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dupper%26searchstart%3D18%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720U&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dupper%26searchstart%3D18%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

There are other very good offerings out there, but the above are literally THE gold standard.

If you want to get into different gas system lengths or HG options or barrel options, there are other ways to go from reputable companies, but the more I deal with other systems the more I begin to wonder "why?". The carbine gas system has a lot going for it once certain issues are properly addressed.

Handguard options will be an attention draw. There are lots of options with different purposes. A fixed FSB is a positive attribute for a serious gun, and I tend to recommend getting a HG that works with your FSB.

There are lots of threads on what items work for different applications, in their respective sub-forums.

LPMan59
01-04-12, 12:40
colt.

nml
01-04-12, 12:40
Sell the Spike's Lower (plus maybe one or two other guns you don't shoot) and then, buy a Colt 6920.6940 would be better. Still makes me yawn though.

DeltaSierra
01-04-12, 12:49
6940 would be better.

There are several good reasons why the 6940 isn't "better" than the 6920....

The search feature might be helpful here...

Tactical Joke
01-04-12, 13:36
Welcome to M4C. There's great info here, but... I'm probably going to sound like an ass. You said you've been scanning the forums for 6 weeks. What forums?

If you'd been scanning M4C for six weeks, there would be ZERO 'brand' questions. Sure, there might be 'What are the advantages of Profile A Brand X over Profile B Brand Y' or 'what are the tradeoffs between a LW and M4 profile barrel' questions, but you'd sure as hell know what brands are generally regarded as being made of quality materials, assembled correctly, and properly QC'd by a majority of the members on this forum.

Seriously, read this stickied post of awesome threads (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355) that is up there in the stickied threads and ask more specific questions that aren't answered.

If you don't want to go through all that: Get any upper from Daniel Defense, Colt, Bravo Company Manufacturing, LMT, Noveske, with a DD Lite Rail and you'll have a quality upper that may or may not fit your vaquely stated requirements. I can't help with the 'visual' aspects.

crusader377
01-04-12, 13:41
For uppers, ideally I would buy either a BCM, Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, or Noveske. If you are on more of a budget I think a Spikes or Palmetto State Armory have some very good uppers for the money as well.

My main recommendation is to be patient and take the time to figure out what configuration of carbine ie barrel, gas system, mfg., planned optics, handguards/rail, etc...would best fit your needs and budget. The AR is such a flexible and customizable platform that you can have hundreds of possible configurations that would still yield a very good quality carbine.

If you want instant gratification and have the money available, I would buy a colt 6920 or 6720 from GR Tactical and call it a day. You can always save the spikes lower for a future build:D.

nml
01-04-12, 13:49
There are several good reasons why the 6940 isn't "better" than the 6920....Only mentioned it because of the prior poster and don't think he should bother with either, so let's just say there are several good reasons why someone would prefer one or the other.

TacMedic556
01-04-12, 13:53
BCM or COLT.

DeltaSierra
01-04-12, 13:56
Only mentioned it because of the prior poster and don't think he should bother with either, so let's just say there are several good reasons why someone would prefer one or the other.

Understood.

PSA and Colt are on opposite ends of the spectrum for sure...

-----

Vash1023
01-04-12, 14:29

Buy a Colt, BCM or DD from Grant at G & R Tactical, http://www.GRTactical.com/ who is a site sponsor.

Cameron

idk, maybe because the short and long stroke piston design has been the most reliable platform for something like 70 years...

Eugene Stoner's AR16-AR18
Mikhail Kalashnikov's Ak47

Not to mention all the current platforms from top manufactures like H&K, FNH and LWRC

army dust test stoppages chart
http://survivalcache.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Best-Survival-Rifle-stoppages-at-60k-Shots.png

But i guess these weapons dont meet your stringent expert criteria
of being strictly direct impingement and sold through a site sponsor.

DeltaSierra
01-04-12, 14:34
idk, maybe because the short and long stroke piston design has been the most reliable platform for something like 70 years...

Not to mention all the current platforms from top manufactures like H&K, FNH and LWRC

http://survivalcache.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Best-Survival-Rifle-stoppages-at-60k-Shots.png

That dust test chart is a crock.

I don't really care how well a piston works in an AK, Sherlock. An AR isn't and AK, and wasn't designed to operate with a piston, so claiming something about "reliability" doesn't even make any sense.

Pistons don't improve reliability in an AR, and in fact, it increase wear and therefore increases the chances of your weapon failing due to the extra strain placed on certain key parts, such as the bolt.

Iraqgunz
01-04-12, 14:34
Please do yourself a favor and stay in your lane.

1. AK's and AR180 were purpose built piston guns, not retrofits.

2. Most people will not benefit from a piston system.

3. None of those you mentioned from HK/FN or LWRC have been flawless performers.

4. There is no piston standard and thus no commonality of parts.

5. The Army dust test was not a test I would rely upon.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-04-12, 15:02
Keep your lower and buy a LMT or BCM upper.

crusader377
01-04-12, 15:16

I don't think it is a valid argument to infer total weapon reliability simply based on the gas system used. Many other factors go into weapon reliability such as materials used, ammunition used, overall design, quality control of mfg. etc...

Using the example of the AK as proof of gas piston superiority is sort of cherry picking your data set. Using your logic I could say that all piston systems suck if I used the British SA80 as my example.

Bottom line there have been both reliable and unreliable weapons using all of the different gas systems.

Vash1023
01-04-12, 16:18
Please do yourself a favor and stay in your lane.

Wilco