PDA

View Full Version : Hostage Rescue Team BHP

Striker5
12-10-07, 13:04
I recall that the HRT used BHP's at one time. Does anyone know what, if any, mods were done to these pistols? I saw an article on the Hi Power in a gun rag saying that the HRT dispensed w/ them due to long term durability issues.

Anybody have some knowledge or a source on this subject?

rubberneck
12-10-07, 13:17
I recall that the HRT used BHP's at one time. Does anyone know what, if any, mods were done to these pistols? I saw an article on the Hi Power in a gun rag saying that the HRT dispensed w/ them due to long term durability issues.

Anybody have some knowledge or a source on this subject?

Wayne Novak built the guns for the HRT. If you want to know the specs for the gun give him a call. I had a Hi-Power worked on by him several years ago and we talked about the FBI guns but I can't remember the details for the life of me.

Ed L.
12-10-07, 13:29
I don't have the specifics, only that they were customized by Novak.

Barry in IN
12-10-07, 17:11
Borrowed from elsewhere:

In my time we have worked on over 200 FBI HRT High Powers starting in the mid 80's. Most of the work was the installation of my Lo-Mount 3-dot night sight system. I also supplied them with Spegel Delrin grips in some quantity as well as more extensive work on a few pistols. These special pistols went to the commanders and VIP's. This work included matted frontstraps, beavertail modification to the frame, match barrels and trigger work, in short a full house pistol.
Sadly, I have heard that most of these High Powers were destroyed during the Clinton Administration ordered by Janet Reno. A few were retained for training purposes as "red" guns.
For the most part the pistols were very plain with the addition of Pachmeyers on some and other stocks on others. I believe that Cylinder and Slide also did some modifications on some of the BHP's that included a magwell.
If you would like, give me a call and perhaps I can give you more insight on our time with the HRT.
As a side note, I was also involved with the design of the FBI .45 and have serial number FBI 33 pistol.
My Best to you,
Wayne Novak

Given the invitation, I wasted no time in calling. After thanking him for taking the time to help me with this, he gave me the following additional information:

They built about 250 guns in total between 1986 and 1990. The guns were standard Browning MkII’s in a matte finish. None of the guns had any trigger work done by Wayne, as he didn’t want the potential liability. Any trigger work made to the guns was done by FBI gunsmiths in-house. I forgot to ask if that included the magazine disconnect, but I have sent another email asking about this. I never did get a reply, but my guess would be that the magazine disconnect was not removed at Wayne's shop.

He also said that all the HRT High Powers “started” with the 20 round magazines (I’m assuming he meant that they were carried with 20 round magazines in the gun) and were carried in a “legster” holster. He wasn’t sure of a brand. Ammunition used was the Federal 124 grain Hydra Shock Hollow Point, standard pressure. This I found interesting as that is what they used to sight in my gun. I was using the 124 grain nyclad hollow point at the time, but neglected to send them some of the ammo for sight in.

As a side note: Wayne said that he was approached by the HRT to build the .45s they currently are using, but declined. He did write the specs however, and to his knowledge the current guns are still built to his original specs with the exception of the trigger. He said the FBI wanted a “smooth” trigger and that wasn’t in his specs.

rhino
12-10-07, 17:34
. . . Sadly, I have heard that most of these High Powers were destroyed during the Clinton Administration ordered by Janet Reno.

Add yet another to an incomprehensibly long list of sins against the American people committed by the conspirators of the Clinton administration.

Lumpy196
12-10-07, 20:11
http://www.novaksights.com/novak_custom_browning.htm#NOVAK_DELUXE_SPEC._OPS_BHP

jmart
12-10-07, 20:20
Nice!

Bill Laughridge of C&S (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/bhp.shtml) does nice work on HPs also. Check out his site for some eye candy.

Federale
12-10-07, 22:04
Add yet another to an incomprehensibly long list of sins against the American people committed by the conspirators of the Clinton administration.

Add that they destroyed all the .38 Super 1911s and most of the Thompsons that were in the FBI's armory too.

Striker5
12-11-07, 08:29
Thanks for the information!

Sam
12-11-07, 08:57
I've handled C&S, Novaks and Yosts Hi Powers, they're all very nice. My favorite has to be the Yosts full house HPs with the short trigger reset.

Barry in IN
12-11-07, 10:45
I've handled C&S, Novaks and Yosts Hi Powers, they're all very nice. My favorite has to be the Yosts full house HPs with the short trigger reset.

Me too. I love the BHP, but as it comes, it's just a lttle bit short of being "there". All of those mentioned (plus Jim Garthwaite and Don Williams) can give them that little bit to get them there.
I just like Ted Yost's style of work best.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/ColtsR4Football/IMG_1863.jpg

VA_Dinger
12-12-07, 05:14
If I'm not mistaken KevinB owns a Novak Spec-Ops package HP. I remember drooling over his photos some years back.

jmart
12-12-07, 07:21
Me too. I love the BHP, but as it comes, it's just a lttle bit short of being "there". All of those mentioned (plus Jim Garthwaite and Don Williams) can give them that little bit to get them there.
I just like Ted Yost's style of work best.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/ColtsR4Football/IMG_1863.jpg

Nice blaster. Nice leather.

Striker5
12-13-07, 12:28
Thank you. I don't shoot my BHP as much as I used to, but inserting a magazine at speed can be tricky - hence the bevel seems like a good idea. Did the BHP's wear out or did they just want to go to a 1911?

ron556
12-22-07, 13:49
+1 for don williams. he worked on my HP and it is one of the most accurate 9mm i own. i don't shoot it that often; it's mostly a safe queen.

VA_Dinger
01-03-08, 17:10
Novak HRT BHP

My God, that is sweet.

NC12215
01-04-08, 23:25
David Pennigton you have made my week!
That is purely a simple, functional and exquiste hammer of justice that anyone would love to take to work.
Dave

JonInWA
10-01-10, 20:06
On my current 2003 manufacture Mk III .40 FN, the only modification that I've made was to replace the OEM grips with a set of Hogue's finger groove rubber, to slightly bulk up the grip to provide an ideal index/grip for my hands.

Everything else I just left alone-including the magazine safety. Triggerpull is a tad heavy, but crisp, with no grit, which works for me.

Apparently, I'm one of the relatively few in the universe who does not get bitten, one way or another, by the various OEM Hi-Power components, including the factory Mk III spur hammer.

I find the OEM white rectangular bar sights to be excellent, providing a very workable sight picture with more than adequate light bars.

Reloads under stress requires much practice, given the square, unbeveled mag well.

We've had some excellent Hi-Power threads on the forum here. Congratulations, and enjoy yours.

Best, Jon

SeaSoldier
10-02-10, 09:14
Novak HRT BHP

I am a HiPower fan and own a Yost Hipower. Your HiPower is Stunning. The beauty is in it's simplicity. The parked finish is amazing. I am also a huge fan of the MKII version.