PDA

View Full Version : Laser Aiming Point

Long Range. 338
01-04-12, 20:46
So I have my M4 set up with a nice laser system. What is the ideal distance to set my -0-M4 to? ( 100 yds, 25 yds)

Inkslinger
01-04-12, 21:20
Come on dude...I challenge you to even see your laser at 100y. Maybe in the pitch dark. Questions like this are going to ruin the "ask a sme" section.

ucrt
01-04-12, 22:07
So I have my M4 set up with a nice laser system. What is the ideal distance to set my -0-M4 to? ( 100 yds, 25 yds)

===========================================

Just curious, what make is your "laser system" and what did it cost you?

DeltaSierra
01-04-12, 22:16
---Edited---

Wake27
01-04-12, 22:47

Yeah maybe not the best place. I'm also curious to what you're running. I think that you'll find most active shooters would suggest spending the money on ammo and training and avoiding lasers more or less altogether. I personally think they're awesome, but practicality is usually in question. Especially on anything besides a handgun.

Long Range. 338
01-05-12, 00:39
Well it seems I should apologize. I didn't know I would put somebodies panties in a bunch by asking a question. The unit is from Insight but that is as far as I will chase that and the question I had asked. (It was just an honest question ) I'm not on a S.F. or tac team. I'm just an average joe trying to set up a home defense carbine.

Inkslinger
01-05-12, 06:07
I'm just an average joe trying to set up a home defense carbine.
There's your answer. Do you think you'll be taking 100y shots in your house?

Rayd8
01-05-12, 07:26
I have a Surefire X400 that I co-witnessed to my Aimpoint at 50 yds. I did it on a overcast day (Great PNW) with the help of a friend. I set the rifle on the bench and sighted through the Aimpoint while he adjusted the laser until it overlapped with the Aimpoint.

I have only shot it in darkness once at approximately 50-60 yards and the light and laser were both visible.

Long Range. 338
01-05-12, 10:40
Thanks Rays8 for your input and how you did it. Apparently some don't understand why I just tossed out some numbers. I could have just as well said 2 yds 4yds? Anyway I appreciate your input.

JSantoro
01-05-12, 15:29
If anybody should be getting their panties in a wad, it should be from the amount of information missing from the inquiry.

"Laser system," could indicate any number of things. Folding in "Insight" a bit later narrows it to two things: a laser aiming device of one variant or another OR a laser borelight system that's used to save a shooter time/rounds when attempting to zero a weapon.

So:
-which is it?
-which variant?
-how's it mounted?
-what's your primary sighting system (irons, optic, type of either...)

....see what I'm getting at...?

Simplest answer is to co-align an aim laser to the same point at which your weapon is zeroed.

If your M4 is zeroed to 100m, and you know in your heart and your head and your eyes that you have a good zero on the thing, the simplest thing you can do is just set up a surface of some sort at 100m (piece of plywood, canvas, something kinda dark and non-reflective....seriously, no smooth metal or glass or the like...), prone out/bench/sandbag the gun with the laser ON, hold your primary aiming feature in one spot on your background, and have somebody else clicky-clicky on the laser (your job is to hold the thing still) until it rests on your 100m aimpoint.

OR....just like Ray described, and in fewer words. :D Works best with two people and a distance that matches your zero (we can go chapter-and-verse as to why full distance is best, if needed).

Inkslinger, your challenge, given that you never bothered to first ask what laser was being described (which would allow you to have some insight as to the wavelength and power output, and therefore give an indication of its capabilities and under what conditions it might be viewed), is accepted. I can get my mitts on a DBAL-I2 with a green, visible laser whenever I want, and see it under any daylight condition you care to name.

Note also that you based the challenge it upon what the user could see, not what you could, and with no modifiers that indicated the prohibition of instrumentation/augmentation. I know that, on some level, you were trying to help, but what you posted just came out as snide, when it didn't need to be so, and it showcases how much about available laser systems you don't know.

This got moved to the "New to..." subforum, so toning responce posts in a "hey, idiot..." format isn't being helpful, it's being a dick.

Inkslinger
01-05-12, 20:03
I just thought it was a very trivial unthought out question. I was under the impression that the "ask sme" section had a vetting process prior to posting.

Your right. I guess he could have put a PEQ-2 on and needed Larry Vickers to tell him how to use it.

I'm not trying to be a dick. It would seem to me that it's a question of situation, personal preference, equipment capability, and physical ability. All of which the OP could have answered for himself. Would asking LAV what I should zero my RDS at be an acceptable question?

I may be late to the party as far as finding out about this site, but I love it. I spend 75% of my day reading it on my phone. I just think people should do a little more reading and a little less posting.

I look forward to you and IG swooping in and wrapping up threads like this. I don't like being on the business end of your keyboard, so I'll quit before I dig myself in to deep.

Eurodriver
01-07-12, 08:38
Well it seems I should apologize. I didn't know I would put somebodies panties in a bunch by asking a question. The unit is from Insight but that is as far as I will chase that and the question I had asked. (It was just an honest question ) I'm not on a S.F. or tac team. I'm just an average joe trying to set up a home defense carbine.

What state do you live in?