PDA

View Full Version : What type of failure is this?

payj
01-04-12, 22:49
Was shooting my pistol today and I had a bullet not seat into the chamber all of the way. It required me to push the slide forward a 1/16 of an inch to completely seat it. The ammo was 20+ year old 115GR Fiocchi HP's......

oef24
01-04-12, 22:55
Failure to feed or failure to go into battery? What pistol were you shooting? I have had that happen with some lots of ammo and when I switched lots, it fed fine. The ammo could be out of spec or maybe tarnished. Your pistol could also have a dirty chamber preventing the ammo from fully seating into the chamber. It could be a number of things.
I would clean the pistol well and check the ammo with calipers. Make sure it is in spec before you continue to shoot it. Good luck.

O

35percent
01-04-12, 23:12
As oef24 clean your gun and check the ammo, depending on the gun/casing/ammo you might not want to shoot that ammo as it might just be out of spec or picky in your gun.

PdxMotoxer
01-05-12, 04:58
Unless you have a micrometer to measure the case so you know
if it's just larger case than most.
Are you or have you been having that issue with other ammo's??

That's the best way to know if it's your gun or the ammo... try running
different brands because some guns are picky what the like to eat.

(plus Fiocchi is known for making just a bit longer so more than a few pistols not only don't like it but it doesn't fit in the mags very well)
I remember seeing some youtube vids years ago (i think it was when M&P's first came out)

shoot safe and good luck

markm
01-05-12, 07:05
Odd that this happened with a 9mm. That's usually one of the standard 1911 malfs.

Lincoln7
01-05-12, 07:09
Please inform us of what type of firearm you were shooting. Whether it was a controlled or uncontrolled feed firearm will help with diagnosis.

titanse05
01-05-12, 07:34
I suspect either a dirty chamber or out of spec rounds.

payj
01-05-12, 14:49
I will say it is the new "must buy" polymer to get as of late. I think you guys can figure it from there. I think it was the ammo, so I do not want the internet gurus to blame it on the gun. The gun was clean this was the only"ftf in 280 rnds of random ammo....

Moltke
01-05-12, 14:51
It's okay to be specific.

payj
01-05-12, 15:40
ppq...I had this stuff just laying around. I think it was from the early to mid 90's and the tip of the hp bullets were pretty gunky looking, which I thought was kind of weird...I had a feeling it might malf with this ammo, any gun for that matter...