PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer P2022

Leatherneck2111
01-05-12, 00:39
Currently in Afghanistan, and my unit is buying a commemorative pistol, a Sig Sauer P2022.

I'm trying to get a gauge on what is the general concensus on this pistol from the handgun experts here.

For reference, I own an HK45, a Sig Sauer P226 (interchangeable barrels of .357SIG and .40S&W), a Kimber 1911, and a Springfield XD.

mkmckinley
01-05-12, 00:58
I have no personal experience with a P2022 but I know it hasn't been a wild success. It seems a little heavy for a compact polymer framed gun. Do a little research and see what owners have to say.

Unless you really want that specific pistol and it's a really good price you're better off passing on it. Don't buy a gun just because your unit had it LASER engraved. I bought a "commemorative" pistol when I was young and dumb and ended up not liking or having any use for the thing. It ended up being hard to sell due to the unit logo and I took a hit on it.

Just my opinion but you'd be better off getting a pistol you like or one you already own and paying somebody to engrave it for you if that's what you really want. Remember you can get police pricing on Glocks and M&Ps not to mention S&W's additional $50 rebate for servicemembers. PM me if you need the details.

KCBRUIN
01-05-12, 01:04
Being a leatherneck if ya got the cash I'd go for the Springfield MC operator. If not that maybe M9A1's? Just don't see what that particular Sig has to do with .mil and why it would be significant to you. I think getting the unit engraved on the actual weapon I carried would mean more to me.

askani79705
01-05-12, 01:05
They're a bit heavy for a polymer pistol and usually run about $400. The one I bought second hand has been flawless for the 600 rnds I have through it.

Fail-Safe
01-05-12, 01:26
Its not a bad gun at all. It seems there's finally some aftermarket for it. No doubt in part to SIG dumping the line, then realizing that people would buy it up for $400 instead of the original $500+ P-O-S price.

Leatherneck2111
01-05-12, 01:35
As Fail-Safe stated, it seems that getting one used would be much more beneficial. The commemorative with night sights is going to run over $550.

I would usually simply go to a local range in Oceanside or San Diego, test it out for myself and making a decision based on actual rounds downrange, but being stuck in 'stan prevents me from doing so.

How does it compare to a P226 (if at all)?

Cobra66
01-05-12, 01:39
I sure as hell ain't one of the experts here, but I have been very happy with my SP2022. I'll grant it is a little bit heavier than a G19 or USPc, but it is still lighter than a P229. The gun has been shockingly accurate every bit as accurate as my P228 and I'm able to hit an 18" silhouette at 100 yards reliability with it on demand. Trigger is decent for a DA/SA. I like the P228 trigger a little better but the SP2022 trigger is definitely workable (some claim it better than the P series). No reliability issues with it, but then again, I haven't driven it real hard yet. The Sig Forum has a lot of fans of this pistol and it seems to be free of most of the quality issues that have been plaguing Sigs as of late. The Sig Pro hasn't been a wildly successful gun in the US (but that seems to be changing), but the SP2022 has been won several HUGE European LE contracts in the past few years.

All and all I rate it as a quality defensive firearm. That coupled with the fact that you can get one for under $400 makes it worth a look.

That said, for a commemorative gun, I would think an M9 would be much more appropriate ;)

How does it compare to a P226 (if at all)?

Size wise, it is closer to the P228/229. Trigger pull is again subjective but many on Sig Forum think the SP's trigger superior. The gun is definitely looser and blockier feeling than the classic P series pistols are, but I think it performs every bit as well as they do. If you are looking for an elegant pistol that exudes its German heritage, the P226 is the better choice. If you are looking for a Sig that will shoot as well as any other, and still leave you enough money for a training class or a case or more of ammo, then the SP2022 is the way to go. Magazines are specific to the Sig Pro (which is a stupid thing IMHO).

Leatherneck2111
01-05-12, 02:02
Cobra, your input is highly appreciated.

Out of the 6 handguns I own, 5 are .45ACP, and 1 is the P226. Maybe with the SP2022 I'll be able to go to the range and feed my wife and children at the same time.

I'd still like to get my hands on one to test the grip and trigger pull, but to me, reliability is paramount.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

rauchman
01-05-12, 14:22
Far from an expert am I, but my co-worker picked one up as her 1st pistol. The pistol has a total of around 800 rounds or so on it. Zero bobbles, accuracy is on par w/ the classic P series and the trigger is better than my German made P226 9mm. If you can get a sub $400 price on it, it's a great pistol for that price.

The only downsides I see are that the ergo's feel a little off for me. I've only shot it w/ the midsized handgrip and short reach trigger. I've read that if you experiement w/ the different grip panels and the standard sized trigger, a sweet spot is very findable. That and accessories (mags/holsters/parts) aren't the easiest to find, but contact topgun supply, as they seem to specialize in Sigs.

I think this would be an excellent beater pistol that's very accurate and, so far, reliable.

D.O.B.A
01-05-12, 15:45
I've got one in .40S&W that I bought about 6 or 7 years ago! It has approx. 1800 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. I think it is one of the most underrated pistols out there! It was accurate and reliable from day one. I purchased it, and went directly to the range and fired 500 rounds without cleaning or lube! Since then I have fired another 1300 or so rounds and it has digested everything that was put through it , from the cheaper Winchester White box, to either Winchester 180 grain SXT or Remington Golden Saber Bonded that I keep in it for home protection. It was a little slippery in hand so I stippled the grip myself and it is now even better. Pics can be seen in the Thread that's titled Stippling Tips/Pics ! It is post #26 in that thread!