PDA

View Full Version : Big Mans Chest Rigs

CPB
01-05-12, 10:51
Guys could use your help in finding a chest rig that will be comfortable on a chest size of 53". I am and always have been built like a block, barrell chested, big arms and thighs. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

CPB

titanse05
01-05-12, 11:39
I could use the same advice as I am 6'7", 275 lbs. I've avoided buying a chest rig because I am not in the "one size fits most" group.

ra2bach
01-05-12, 14:18
what do you want to do with it/what do you want it to do?

if this is your first chest rig, get a surplus FLC. no, it's not premium gear. but it will fit and it's cheap and comes with lots of molle pouches to help you get sorted as to what you do want eventually.

it can be configured as a vest or a chest rig and on a bigger guy will ride up higher than shown in the pic.

you can generally get them as shown for less than $50 on ebay...

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/images/P/MOLLE%20II%20ACU%20FLC%20Tact%20Vest-1.jpg

deadlyfire
01-05-12, 15:01
First Spear makes one very similar to the one posted above for $279.98...you can get that one if your a baller.

Reagans Rascals
01-05-12, 15:08
I've got the same issue, I've contemplated getting some cordura and taking it to a master parachute rigger and having him make me one.

SoDak
01-05-12, 18:10
Maybe try and find an eagle industries DF-LCS. It's more of a split front lbe type rig, but they have an insane amount of adjustability. I ended up having to remove the rear panel so I could get it small enough to fit me and I'm not a small guy.

ST911
01-05-12, 18:26
Some bigger guys I know have found the TT MAV to their liking, one of whom was a pretty big guy (300+).

Maybe try and find an eagle industries DF-LCS. It's more of a split front lbe type rig, but they have an insane amount of adjustability. I ended up having to remove the rear panel so I could get it small enough to fit me and I'm not a small guy.

I believe that's the first time I've ever seen the DFLCS recommended for anything other than surplusing. :D

SoDak
01-05-12, 18:42
I believe that's the first time I've ever seen the DFLCS recommended for anything other than surplusing. :D

Were they not well liked? I picked two up for $20 a piece and they seemed ok, but I haven't really used them so I'm interested in what issues they may have.

MCS
01-05-12, 19:16
You could give the Bravo Company split rig a try.

bchand01
01-05-12, 20:35
I have a cheap 5.11 basic chest rig. I am on the smaller side at 6 foot 155 lbs but I have it adjusted as small as it will go at it is still a little lose. A ton of adjustment also. For 25 dollars that may be a good test for you. I have 50 dollars into mine with 4 double stack mag pouches on it.

jsebens
01-05-12, 20:48
Would your needs be fulfilled by the Blue Force Gear 10-Speed chest rig? They get to be pretty "grown-up-sized".

ra2bach
01-05-12, 22:55
Some bigger guys I know have found the TT MAV to their liking, one of whom was a pretty big guy (300+).

hey... he said he was a BIG guy... this is the only thing I am certain that fits. I'm just trying to help but don't want to give any recommendations that I don't have first hand knowledge of.

my er, huge friend, uses one and it adjusts to fit him and is functional... :sarcastic:

drrufo
01-06-12, 05:44
I am bidding on the VooDoo rig on ebay. If it is too small I will add more webbing to make it fit.

VOODOO TACTICAL 9 POCKET CHEST RIG. This is the title for the auction, copyng the url didn't work

If you like and bid on it, no big deal there are more if I don't get this one.

sarge1967
01-06-12, 06:26
I have a Maxpedition chest rig. It is a 3 mag rig with a little bit of Molle where I added a couple of pistol mag holders.

I am a big guy at 5'10" about 275 lbs. The Maxpedition rig barely fits me and that is just over a shirt. Putting it over a coat or something is out of the question.

So I am curious as what others use as well.

HeavyDuty
01-06-12, 08:48
I'm a big guy too and am very happy running a BCM split front.

CPB
01-06-12, 08:59
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I am looking at all options as we speak. This will be a part of my BOB for the future.

Detmongo
01-06-12, 09:50
CBP,
i feel your pain. at 6'4" 295lbs. w/a 54" chest i use the SKD universal chest rig. i can wear it over soft armor w/out any issues.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-06-12, 10:05
I'm 6'2" 225 and I have always worn a Rhodesian stye rig no issues. I used them over my body armor in country never had any issues. Everybody and there mother makes one.

ra2bach
01-06-12, 13:42
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I am looking at all options as we speak. This will be a part of my BOB for the future.

for a bug-out, or any type of rig that I may have to use in a vehicle, I have come to prefer a split front vest. I have an Eagle/SKD 3-mag chest rig for training but if this was some type of BO need, I would choose something that could be unobtrusive under a cover garment.

Jeff, who designed the BCM rig stated that these were some of his design criteria. his job requires plainclothes stakeouts and pics he posted with it hidden under a closed light jacket or even unsnapped in the front with an open jacket show a very low profile.

it's a good rig and a great value and definitely worth a look...

RD62
01-06-12, 20:26
I'm 6'4" 250lbs and have used an Eagle M4 FB for a couple years to good effect.

It's minimal but expandable/adaptable, relatively inexpensive, and well made.

You may wanna check one out.

LHS
01-07-12, 02:59
Another vote for the Eagle/SKD Universal rig. I am a big dude, and it fits on me even with soft armor underneath.

Shane1
01-07-12, 10:38
I'm about the same size. I have been using the Eagle/SKD for years. Fits fine with or without soft armor.

CPB
01-08-12, 14:39
Hey thanks everyone for the advice, I went with a condor chest rig as I was told it adjusted quite a bit and it holds the kit I will be attaching to it. If for some reason it doesn't work out I will look for sure at the Eagle/SKD. Thanks again and anymore info anyone wants to put out will be welcomed.

Doc Safari
03-05-12, 11:29
I am bidding on the VooDoo rig on ebay. If it is too small I will add more webbing to make it fit.

VOODOO TACTICAL 9 POCKET CHEST RIG. This is the title for the auction, copyng the url didn't work

If you like and bid on it, no big deal there are more if I don't get this one.

Anybody have any first hand experience on Voodoo Tactical's quality?

There seem to be a couple of them on ebay nearly all the time.

TacMedic556
03-05-12, 15:51
Esstac Bush Boar of Load Bearing Boar...I have a Trim Bush and a 44 inch chest with enough slack in everything to fit a giant man.

TangoSauce
03-05-12, 16:41
The 5.11 is fine if you're not wanting armor.

I have an Eagle and replaced the cummerbund with the SKD. It definitely helps but the thing isn't too spacey. I'm 6' and only a little over 2 bills but have a large build. It's gtg with soft armor but no way on plates.

bigrobbierob
03-05-12, 21:18
Any big men have experience with any of the Mayflower R&C chest rigs?

Doc Safari
03-09-12, 11:10
I was eyeballing the Tactical Tailor Tac Vest 1b Utility because I like the pouch configuration.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-armor/vests/tac-vest-1b-utility

Anybody have any experience with these?

I'm working on configuring my FLC vest to duplicate this one for the most part, but I'm curious how the fit is of the Tac Vest.