PDA

View Full Version : CZ-75/85

Redmanfms
12-10-07, 17:40
I'm looking at buying another 9mm to add to my collection of Berettas and want to try something different, just because. I've shot the CZ-75 and it left a very pleasant impression, but I've read/heard of issues with the later pistols (Bs) related to the firing pin safeties.

Does anybody have solid experience with them? Anybody here ever use them in a class/competition?

Thanks for any input.

TY44934
12-10-07, 18:11
I'm looking at buying another 9mm to add to my collection of Berettas and want to try something different, just because. I've shot the CZ-75 and it left a very pleasant impression, but I've read/heard of issues with the later pistols (Bs) related to the firing pin safeties.

Does anybody have solid experience with them? Anybody here ever use them in a class/competition?

Thanks for any input.

I use mine in competition almost exclusively. There is no issue with the firing pin safety. Not all models even have these safeties - and that is just as it is with the 1911s; the older Colt 1911s (including every one ever issued) did not have such safeties. Only the "Series 80" (post 1980) 1911 guns had them.

Anyway, the 75b, the P-01 and the larger steel SP-01 all come with a firing pin safety. The 85 Combat does not come with one - by design.

For competition, the SP-01 dominates as its a large, heavy, steel framed gun that soaks up recoil and is very very accurate. It also has an 18 round capacity. There are ways to get it into SSP.

For carry, the P-01 is smaller and lighter; somewhat like a Glock 19; and it has an aluminum alloy frame. It comes in 9mm and it very accurate and reliable (it is the new Czech national police sidearm).

The original CZ-75b is in between; steel frame, reliable and accurate. Its design is nearly as copied as the 1911 - including the old US- made Bren 10.

I prefer the SA/DA guns WITHOUT the de-cocker. Also, while the "wonder finish" is strong, its still paint; I prefer the blued models.

mattjmcd
12-10-07, 19:03
I've had a -75B and a P-01. Of the 2, I liked the P-01 better overall.

I had some minor issues with the bigger gun early on, but my local smith fixed it easily. the problem was frequent premature slide lock. It turns out that my gun had a "loose" (for lack of a better word- maybe "incorrectly tuned/tensioned" is better?) slide stop/release. Under recoil it could bounce up into the lock position. Anyway, it was a quick fix and the gun was accurate and GTG from then on.

The P-01 was DA/SA and also very very accurate. As a SoCal, I am limited to 10 rounds, and the P-01 is more size efficient given that kind of restriction. It was absolutely bullet-proof in terms of reliability. It is highly underrated, IMO.

TOrrock
12-10-07, 21:46
I've had CZ's since 1989, before the Wall fell and you really weren't supposed to have them in the US.

They're fantastic pistols, they're "old school" compared to a S&W M&P, but they work beautifully.

I've not heard of any issues with the firing pin lock. Having said that, I'd love to have an original pre-B '75, like I had in 1989 and stupidly sold.

I used a B model in IDPA as Enhanced Service Pistol (cocked n' locked) and made Expert fairly easily with it.

I look at them as a blend of the Hi Power and the SIG, with some original stuff thrown in for good measure.

CZ's are definitely good to go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/CZ-85B%20Combat/knife008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/CZ-85B%20Combat/knife006.jpg

Robb Jensen
12-10-07, 21:51
I will never sell my CZ85 Combat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/CZpics005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/CZpics006.jpg

9MX
12-11-07, 09:35
i've competed for a year with a CZ-85B. Never encountered a firing pin safety issue.

The weaklink of the CZ-75 platforms based on my experience as well as my fellow CZ shooters then is the slide stop. It breaks, mine did after about 5K rounds

blackscot
12-11-07, 10:15
Another fer-definite +1 on the CZ75B ! ! !

I've owned a couple, and like them every bit as much as any 1911. Built like a brick outhouse, and the internal design is actually relatively friendly to ameteur smithing/tuning.

Also used them in competition to great effect. THE platform for IDPA Enhanced Division. Was too heavy for me as an everyday carry piece, but that's just me. Compact models probably better suited there.

Maybe if I ever finish dorking around with all the plastic guns, I'll get me another one of these beauties.

ETA - Would make a great sidekick to that newly acquired SLR-106FR.:cool:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/pistols/CZ75B.jpg

rhino
12-11-07, 17:53
I had a CZ-75B for a while. I fired few hundred rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind (not even any "except for . . ."). I would still own it and use it regularly, but my fingers are just too short to reach the trigger and the thumb safety. They are great guns and a very good value as well.

Redmanfms
12-11-07, 20:30
I had a CZ-75B for a while. I fired few hundred rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind (not even any "except for . . ."). I would still own it and use it regularly, but my fingers are just too short to reach the trigger and the thumb safety. They are great guns and a very good value as well.

How does the trigger reach compare to a 92FS? I've been relying on the Beretta for many years as it is one of the most accurate pistols I own and has had zero failures over nearly 15,000 rounds, but maintaining a proper grip makes reaching the trigger rather difficult in DA mode (I also hate the safety with a passion). I only fired a magazine or two through the CZ many years ago and remember it being a positive experience, but I really hope reach won't be an issue as I have literally tiny hands, though I suppose I could just carry cocked-and-locked.

TOrrock
12-11-07, 21:03
In DA mode, the trigger is a little further forward than a 92FS....but in SA mode, it's like a Hi Power...

adh
12-11-07, 22:01
It is highly underrated, IMO.

+1 to that

rhino
12-12-07, 02:28
How does the trigger reach compare to a 92FS?

As Templar mentioned, my subjective "feel" is that it's a bit tougher to reach the CZ trigger all the way forward than a Beretta. On the other hand, if you use the decocker (assuming your gun has one), it actually lowers to hammer to a "half" cock, with is a bit easier to reach and is also the proper way to carry the gun in double action mode. I can adjust my grip to reach the trigger at half cock, but I can't effectively reach the thumb safety.

I don't know what the actual measurements are, though. I suspect that the shape of the grip compared to the shape of a shooter's hands may make one easier to shoot than the other. The best bet would be to fondle and dry fire a CZ to see how it feels.

Given that, even if I had long fingers and thumbs, I'd still carry it cocked and locked.

blackscot
12-12-07, 06:12
In DA mode, the trigger is a little further forward than a 92FS....

.....it's a bit tougher to reach the CZ trigger all the way forward than a Beretta.....

+2 as per my experience (have small-ish hands too).

....but in SA mode, it's like a Hi Power...

.....I'd still carry it cocked and locked.

+2 again. Condition 1 is the way to go with this gun. It's that capability that makes it unique. DA/SA is a waste of its potential.

bspring
12-13-07, 14:47
I have a SP-01, decocker version. Trigger pull really sucked, so I sent it out to have it worked. Now its much nicer and is one of my favorites.

Bill

Joe Mamma
12-13-07, 15:36
I have a CZ75B.

The bad:

the glossy blue finish wears off/through pretty easily;

the firing pin retention roll pin (or whatever it's called) breaks easily when it is dry fired a lot without a snap cap;

the trigger break is really bad (it's not at all crisp); and

the slide lock lever gets prematurely engaged when the tip of some bullets in the mag touch it and push it up (this happens with many different types of ammo).

The good:

it feels great in the hand;

the heavy steel frame soaks up recoil really well;

it's noticably more accurate than other similar guns (actually, I'm not sure if it's me or the gun); and

mags are cheap and easy to get (the last time I bought some).

Joe Mamma

blackscot
12-14-07, 06:18
......Trigger pull really sucked, so I sent it out to have it worked. Now its much nicer and is one of my favorites.....

The last 75B I owned had a little more trigger creep in SA mode than I liked, which I was able to fix by installing a new sear from Miossi. See: http://www.miossigunworks.com/on_line_catalog.html

Not something everyone should attempt, but definitely a do-able project if you're careful about it. Got a real clean/low-creep pull out of it.

I have a CZ75B.......the firing pin retention roll pin (or whatever it's called) breaks easily when it is dry fired a lot without a snap cap.....

That's true. You need snap caps to dry fire much at all.

.....the slide lock lever gets prematurely engaged when the tip of some bullets in the mag touch it and push it up (this happens with many different types of ammo).....

Never ran into that. Maybe the lever is out-of-spec. Possibly a little filing in the right spot would fix?

I did have another problem though with the trigger roll pin walking. The half-second needed to re-stake took care of that.

Redmanfms
12-15-07, 14:58
Well, I decided against purchasing a CZ, for now. I'm going to have some custom work done to my stock HP (well, stock except for the ambi safety). Get rid of the disconnect, put on some better sights (mine has the old, puny 1911-style), and a commander-style hammer should bring it up to snuff.

It's actually a great pistol, 100% reliable with everything I throw in it, smooth, and perfect for my girlie hands. The only problem I have with it is that it shoots 4" left @ 25 yards and I can't get the sight to drift (besides the fact that sights just suck anyway), I'm not going to potentially goofty-fy it by attempting to remove the disconnect myself, and that spur hammer sucks donkey shit. I figure I can probably find a local smith who fix all my problems with it for cheap.

A CZ-85B is tied on my list with a M&P9 for pistols I must get before Hildebeast or the Manchurian Candidate (Obama for those who can't guess) get into office.

Thanks for the help though.

scapegoat762
12-15-07, 20:58
When you say that the slide stop breaks, do you mean the shaft that the barrel engages, or the surface that holds the slide open? (Sorry, that sounded like a 3 year old trying to describe the internal parts of a flat-screen tv.) A free recoiling barrel sounds kinda unpleasant.

What do you look for when the part is about to fail?

blackscot
12-18-07, 06:18
.....I'm going to have some custom work done to my stock HP......

Sounds like a real good option.

.....before Hildebeast or the Manchurian Candidate (Obama for those who can't guess) get into office.......

:p :p :p

And likewise here. I need to get some kind of traditional-ish AK before then.