PDA

View Full Version : Advice on setting up a get-home bag

maximus83
01-05-12, 17:41
I'm setting up a lightweight "EDC" or "get-home" bag (GHB) that can also be for common uses like commuting to work, day trips/hikes, etc. (note this is different from the "bug-out "or 3-day assault/survival" pack). Sorry this is long-ish post, but I have no experience with high quality packs and gear-slinging systems apart from holsters. So I did some research including reading threads from the archive here, and worked up some requirements, plus a list of possible brands/models to buy. Wanted to run this by the forum and get input from experienced users before I buy.

My basic usages would be two-fold:
* Main use: as a GHB. I would keep the emergency/survival gear permanently in the bag, even when using for secondary purposes.
* Secondary use: as an all-purpose, EDC, commute-to-work, day-hiker, or airline personal-items bag. Ideally would like it to be able to carry a modest amount of personal stuff, such as a laptop when going to work, or a few books and a Maxpedition EDC bag, etc.

Some questions:
* Is this a bad idea, taking a GHB whose main purpose is survival, and then make it sort of dual-purpose so you can use as an EDC bag? Is there a better setup I should look at?
* For this type of bag, what are the trade-offs (besides weight, obviously) between a 1-strap vs a 2-strap pack? Would I be just as well off to get a 1-strap for the simplicity and possible weight savings, or is a 2-strap traditional backpack more robust and a better all-around survival option, even for a lightweight GHB?
* Should I get a pack that can include full 100oz hydration, or for THIS type of pack, should I just keep it lighter/smaller, and stick with some water purification stuff?
* A very important requirement for me to consider is water-resistance features. Where we live (NW), it's very damp and there's rain almost 8 months of the year. Besides the general water resistance of the material used, it's also good to have a pack that has well thought-out features to keep stuff dry, like protecting fabric over the zipper areas. Any of the well known pack options that are better than others for water resistance?
* What would be some good packs to buy that meet most of these requirements? I've been looking at a few different configurations of GHB bags, so far mostly at Maxpedition:

* The large, 1-strap type that can fit a 100oz hydration. One example, the Monsoon, has 1600 cu in. of storage, holds a laptop, has special features for water resistance, and has optional hydration. The Kodiak is a bit smaller and lighter, but similar. These look pretty useful and because of the size, lets you dual-purpose them as I want to do.

* The lighter, 1-strap Versipack approach. These are more like a fancy "messenger bag" format. An example is their Fatboy model, or the new Jumbo EDC. These look nifty and light. But for now, I'm leaning more towards the larger GearSlinger series, because the extra size makes it easier for me to use them as multi-purpose.

* The duffle-bag or gear-bag approach, also single-strap. An example is the Eagle Escape and Evasion bag. But this doesn't look as "carryable" to me as most of the other options here.

* Or, back to the traditional 2-strap backpack approach. Plenty of Maxpedition entries, North face, or nicer options, Kirafu (but out of my current price range). Many other brands of course. But I want to first figure out if I should go with this FORMAT, before worrying about which brand to get.

Right now I'm learning toward the Maxpedition 1-strap gear-slinger type packs, but I'm definitely open to other ideas.

pilotguyo540
01-05-12, 18:34
Before we can go farther we need to know what range we are talking. 5 mile prep and 50 mile preparations are very different.

Jaysop
01-05-12, 18:36
Id look into a 5.11 Rush 24 or 12.

Lots of nice little pockets for $hit. And supposedly its water resistant. Id still keep a garbage bag handy for Water proofing on the go.
Price is right too. I handled one yesterday, personally gona pick one up.

duece71
01-05-12, 19:07
Have you looked at Timbuk 2?? Not cheap but very high quality stuff. You might find what you are looking for there.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/

ST911
01-05-12, 20:18
Have you looked at Timbuk 2?? Not cheap but very high quality stuff. You might find what you are looking for there.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/

Last year I was on a major U campus and saw so many T2 messenger bags, I thought they had done an airdrop. Bunches of them with docs and med students as well. They blend in well, and pass unnoticed.

maximus83
01-05-12, 20:21
My get-home range (from work) is about 15 miles. The reason I'm leaning toward the slightly larger 1-strap bags (gearslinger series) from Maxpedition is that they have enough space to make them useful for my dual-purpose carry, such as carrying a laptop too/from work, or carrying enough stuff to be useful on a long day-hike with the family.

However, one friend pointed out to me another valid way to look at this: in an emergency, you ain't probably going to want to lug the laptop (and I already have a laptop and other PC's at home, so I wouldn't need the work one for an emergency). So, why not go with a lighter GHB type bag that can carry some gear, but not so large as to require a laptop?

Still thinking....

bdcheung
01-05-12, 20:55
The one strap bags get real uncomfortable once the load passes about 15 pounds or so. Learn from my experience. My Maxpedition Kodiak was reassigned from GHB to diaper bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pilotguyo540
01-05-12, 20:58
If you need to big out of work, who gives a damn about your computer?
15 miles is a healthy hike.
I would carry a poncho since you are in the north west.
A pair of good hiking boots and 2 pairs of wool socks.
An insulating layer may be required depending on the season
A pack of freeze dried chow
Small camp stove like a jet boil or pocket rocket with a container to heat water and a can of fuel.
Carabiner coffee mug from REI. There is no acceptable substitute to this.
Starbucks VIA insta brew, for morale.
A good pair of hiking pants and compression shorts are a good idea.
A decent fixed blade
550 cord
Water purification tabs
3 liter hydration bladder
Emergency blanket
Small med kit
Fire source. Zippo or matches. Bic works too

Depending on how deep your scenario or what you are thinking, a firearm of some sort and a few magazines.

Get your gear in order then get an appropriate size pack. I am still trying to find the right pack for me, so a cant suggest more there. This is my minimum equipment list for that kind of hike.

If there is a systemic failure of society and avoiding people becomes necessary, count on doubling the distance home and plan accordingly. More food stuff, ammo, etc.

Hope this helps.

pilotguyo540
01-05-12, 21:02
Btw, two straps is a must.

maximus83
01-05-12, 21:40
Good points, all. I've been wondering about the 2 straps thing, especially after you've gone a few miles.

Also, Skintop raises a good point about "blending in." If you get a bag that looks too 'tactical' in color, style, or both, you may become a target for somebody who wants a weapon or your other stuff.

Going with that idea of a more modest-looking GHB that 'blends in', I looked some more at the North Face offerings, since these are widely carried by tourists, students, and hikers in the NW. The NF 'Recon', for instance, has room to carry either a laptop (when used as EDC), or in that same compartment, you can also have a hydration bladder.

http://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Recon-Backpack-Black/dp/B003SA4AUK

Ironman8
01-05-12, 22:39
Just a few points that most have already touched on.

-"Sling bags" get very uncomfortable with more than about 10-15 lbs in them
-With a 15 mile commute, you can bet your ass you'll be out for just about 24 hrs (or more) if you have to go on foot.
-I personally wouldn't carry any food (at least not more than a few granola/protein bars), but a bladder that is stored in the bag is a good idea. You will be able to find enough potable water in the early stages of a "civil breakdown" that you'll be able to fill it and go.
-If you want to have it as dual purpose GHB/EDC pack, then I would stick with solid colors, limited molle webbing, and less tactical look. If you go with molle, get black...can't see the webbing as well with black
-Keep the bag reletively small
-A firearm and a couple extra mags and ammo wouldn't be a bad idea...observing local carry laws of course.
-Remember, not ALL your gear has to be carried in your bag at ALL times

I personally have both the 5.11 Rush 12 and 24. I use the 24 for hunting and a bag I can take on a plane if I need the extra space. I use the 12 as an GHB/EDC pack like you want to do. It is in black, and I've toyed with removing all the molle webbing...just haven't messed with it yet...It's a small pack so I keep some med supplies, empty 100oz water bladder, multi-tool, firearm (when I'm not carrying it), and a couple extra loaded mags in mine (this is in addition to what I have ON me, such as a knife and flashlight). In fact, its pretty much empty when I carry it around. The rest of my gear sits in my truck with the thought that I'd be able to at least get to my truck to retrieve it if I need to.

This is the only piece of 5.11 gear that I own, and if you go with the Rush series, you won't be dissapointed with its construction. Very nice bag!

Country DeVil
01-06-12, 00:04
My "GHB" is a Maxpedition Sitka and they do a great job of making it comfortable for a long time I still think 2 shoulder straps are better.

as far as what is in there I have a lot of the same as the running list except, I hate coffee so none of that and I dont plan on my 10-30 mile hike taking long enough for me to need to cook food so I rotate lots of bars and GU

I have gloves in there too, just cause.

also I dont keep it in the bag but in my truck is a tomahawk that I will take with me if I can.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-06-12, 00:47
I have the Osolo Echo's and couldn't be happier. Good traction, support, and fairly light weight.

maximus83
01-06-12, 01:28
Good tip. I also don't have any other 5.11 gear, but after checking out the Rush series that Ironman recommended, it looks like Kyle Lamb gave input to the design of the series and they look pretty well designed. I am checking out the Rush 12 or Rush 24 for a GHB.

Updated, here's the list of traditional 2-strap backpacks I've sort of narrowed it down to. Couldn't find weights on all of them, but these all seem to meet most of my specs.

ATS RAid 2 (1512 in, $180)
TAD Fastpack Litespeed (1300 in, 4.5 lbs, $239)
Camelback Hawg 500 (1400 in, 2.64 lbs, $120)
Eagle Patrol Pack (1512 in, $159)
5.11 Rush 24 (2000 in, 3.6 lbs, $99)
Maxpedition Falcon 2 (1520 in, 3.5 lbs, $100)
FirstSpear Exigent Circumstance - ECP (1060 in, 1.74 lbs, $213)

ra2bach
01-06-12, 02:39
I would say get a bag and keep it set up and separate and not use it for anything else. One that blends in (no Molle and FDE or Army green), not expensive looking, with two straps. main things for a one-day or even overnight are water and maybe some protein bars or beef jerky, cliff bars and/or chocolate, and weather protection. 5-hour energy drinks anyone?..

protection from weather - rain gear and extra warmth layers are essential but I always bring a jacket even in nice weather, so whatever's appropriate for your area and season. I normally wear gortex hiking shoes and wool socks all the time but if you can't, maybe keeping them with your bag would work. also if you normally wear nice clothes to work or wherever, I would keep some casual clothes (jeans, shirt, etc...) in there as well.

a poncho (and maybe a liner) is really good for keeping everything dry with a pack on and you can wrap up in it to sleep if you have to. a hat, bandana, and spare socks are nice. a few packets of wet-ones and some hand sanitizer, chap stick, sunscreen, and Ibuprofen are really nice...

a FAK, stout knife and/or multitool, light/spare batts, maybe even some lume sticks are next. some 550-cord, a few zip-ties and compressed roll of 100mph tape could literally be a life saver...

cash in small bills and maybe a spare debit or credit card is handy.

in my bag I also have a small pair of Stiener 8x22 binoculars - very handy...

if you don't already CCW, a weapon and spare mags if you're so inclined. I CCW but have two scenarios that I envision - one involves just a bad day, and the other is a Rodney King riots style deal.

I have a folding stock Mini-14, 26.25" long with Aimpoint R1 for the really, really bad day scenario where I'm basically trying to escape a war zone. this is something that I readily admit is improbable but no one expected it in LA either...

that, loaded with one 20rd, and two spare 30rd mags, fits in a folding chair bag that I padded out so it doesn't look like a gun inside. at the time, I would have to decide whether it was worth it to hump it, or chain it through the receiver to the inside of the trunk and hope for the best. I'd probably take it though as it's less than 8lbs as set up.

I wonder if this is too much but I expect in even the worst of times, once I get out of the "hot" zone, I could probably find some transpo, either public or private. in any case, my priority would be to not look like Mr. Gucci or Rambo on patrol but just a poor guy trying to get home...

Country DeVil
01-06-12, 08:22
I forgot to add the solio bolt to solar power my phone if I need to. I assume the phone wont work as a phone but in case I need to see a map or read a survival manual for a reminder

Matt O
01-06-12, 12:04
Last year I was on a major U campus and saw so many T2 messenger bags, I thought they had done an airdrop. Bunches of them with docs and med students as well. They blend in well, and pass unnoticed.

I bought a black T2 bag in 2008 when I was in Asia and it's still going strong now, albeit a bit worn in certain areas. That bag served as a daily commute to the office/ psuedo-briefcase, as well as an overnight or weekend bag for trips. It's been with me through backpacking trips in central Asia, Xinjiang, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines and Korea. It's been stuffed on 3rd world train luggage racks under all sorts of curious items, stepped on and used as a make-shift umbrella.

So basically, they're well-constructed, blend in in an urban environment, yet retain functionality without. Only caveats being, they're not cheap and don't expect to weigh it down with gear, carry it all over the place and not have your back and shoulders sore as shit; messenger bags suck at load carriage.

bdcheung
01-06-12, 12:08
FWIW, Timbuk2 makes backpacks as well. But for a 15 mile trek, I'd prefer something with a padded waistbelt.

My walk home is around 30 miles by bike path. My GHB is significantly more "robust" than most others as a result of the distance.

ra2bach
01-06-12, 13:31
FWIW, Timbuk2 makes backpacks as well. But for a 15 mile trek, I'd prefer something with a padded waistbelt.

My walk home is around 30 miles by bike path. My GHB is significantly more "robust" than most others as a result of the distance.

what situation do you envision needing to walk the entire 30 miles home? I did a 20-miler in one day to get the Hiking Merit Badge and I didn't need a waistbelt on my bag. I also spend a couple days at a time living out of my Eagle A3 and don't have the belt attached. I'm not mountaineering but I don't think you would be either just trying to make it home.

so without taking this thread into the realm of the "Survival" forum, what kind of needs/gear are you envisioning?

bdcheung
01-06-12, 13:45
what situation do you envision needing to walk the entire 30 miles home? I did a 20-miler in one day to get the Hiking Merit Badge and I didn't need a waistbelt on my bag. I also spend a couple days at a time living out of my Eagle A3 and don't have the belt attached. I'm not mountaineering but I don't think you would be either just trying to make it home.

so without taking this thread into the realm of the "Survival" forum, what kind of needs/gear are you envisioning?

I work in DC and live in the suburbs. There are a variety of equally improbable situations where I could see myself having to walk (as opposed to drive or take public transportation) the whole way home to my wife and family.

Are these situations extremely likely? No. Does it require a lot of resources on a day-to-day basis to keep a GHB ready should the unlikely happen? Nope. Took a bit of planning initially to get the load pared down, but after that, it's just a matter of keeping the bag in the car.

My GHB is pretty bare bones:

Rain shell
Gloves
Hydration bladder + 40oz klean canteen + water purification tablets
IFAK
Flashlights with extra batteries
Mylar emergency bivy
multitool, knife
FRS radio (used for communication with the family once in range)
N95 respirator
Swim goggles
Paracord
A few trash bags

I've also got a MOLLE butt-pack in the car with dehydrated food, but even I'll admit that's really over the top.

ST911
01-06-12, 22:29
I bought a black T2 bag in 2008 when I was in Asia and it's still going strong now, albeit a bit worn in certain areas. That bag served as a daily commute to the office/ psuedo-briefcase, as well as an overnight or weekend bag for trips...

So basically, they're well-constructed, blend in in an urban environment, yet retain functionality without. Only caveats being, they're not cheap and don't expect to weigh it down with gear, carry it all over the place and not have your back and shoulders sore as shit; messenger bags suck at load carriage.

Yup. A messenger bag, even with a padded shoulder strap, is tough to use in extended walks or heavier loads. A few designs incorporate a waist strap, which can help.

I often wonder if the folks contemplating these distances have ever gone out and actually tried to walk them, especially with a load. Especially in overland hikes. If the folks on the trails of various 10k volksmarches are any indication, the general population isn't walking anywhere.

SeriousStudent
01-06-12, 23:25

I often wonder if the folks contemplating these distances have ever gone out and actually tried to walk them, especially with a load. Especially in overland hikes. If the folks on the trails of various 10k volksmarches are any indication, the general population isn't walking anywhere.

A very good point. I walk 6 miles every night with my dogs, three miles per dog. And we step it out pretty quick, no waddling at a slow pace.

A buddy of mine on this site (dave5339) did exactly what you mentioned - walked home from work with his GHB. It was right at 20 or 21 miles, IIRC. He carried his Camelbak Motherlode with his planned gear load in the Texas summer. He's a diabetic too, which made it even more fun.

I did the same thing a couple of times last year before I relocated, but it was much shorter than my present commute. I checked several routes. One was quick and direct at six miles, the other was longer but much less visible at 9 miles. So I had routes for speed and discretion.

This summer I am going to do a walk from our co-lo site at work back home. It's just a hair over 50 miles as the crow flies, I'm going to do it in 2 days. If there is a disaster at work, the business plans for me and about 20 other IT geeks to take over our data center hot site there. It is equipped for us - food, water, gennys, etc. I keep a duffel bag of personal gear locked up out there.

But I have not walked from there back to my house. I'm planning on doing it in August, which would be a bad case scenario. If I can find enough water, it should be interesting.

I am planning on bringing a GPS and camera, to take photos and way points for a route recon.

My regular commute to work is 21.3 miles, garage to garage.

I keep a GHB in my vehicle, a small one in my desk, one in a different secured location at work with other specialized gear, and one at our co-lo site.

My EDC bag which has my laptops and work gear also has enough personal survival gear to get me out of a lot of jams.

But I agree with Skintop911 - try the walk.

Inuvik
01-07-12, 10:49
I totally agree with the statements regarding avoiding a "tactical" looking backpack. I have used a DaKine Heli Pro for about 10 years now, and it has been stellar. It is designed for packing skis or a snowboard, so it has a ton of random straps and pockets that double for other purposes. Mine has literally been around the world, and shows no signs of stopping. The newer ones are specifically designed for laptops and office supplies as well as hydration etc.

http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/snow-packs/guys/team-heli-pro---sean-pettit

Jack-O
01-07-12, 12:34
This whole subject gets complicated fast, so let me TRY to break it out for you to make the answers easier to find. Some good ideas so far tho.

1- filling a bag with things you do not know how to use in at least 2-3 ways is a waste of space. either learn how to use your tools better or only put tools you can use effectively in
2-only carry the minimum things you need to MAKE IT HOME. the more scenarios you add on, the more crap you add in. keep it minimal, lightweight and focused or you wont carry it at all. Then it becomes useless.
3-it should have SOME water in it. a UV light purifier (steripen) or a small filters might be nice. low weight and bulk is key
4-I saw some really nice water resistant snowboarding bags at the store the other day. they almost look like a water bag or kayakers bag. Also, something like this would be cool if water is a concern (it is for me as well this is why I know ;) ) http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/rainwalker.html
5- two carry straps are almost always better than one. you can always just use one but it's hard to add another for a longer trip. two spreads weight evenly and allows for more agile movment and doesnt flop around
6- any GHB bag should include the elements of both fighting and survival which are:
-air (breathing)
-shelter
-fire
-water
-food (trail mix)
-shoot
-move
-communicate (at least two systems of comm)
7- your GHB includes what you wear on your person everyday. leatherman, knife, wallet, cell phone, pistol, shoes, clothes etc. what you have on your person should be used to lighten the load of your GHB and extend it's capabilities. EG: you wear good shoes and a long sleeve shirt to work. in your bag you dont need a heavy jacket, you need a light to mid weight layer and your rain poncho to provide the same warmth as a heavy jacket would. figure in that your movement will add heat as well and it reduces requirements even further.

It's good to get ideas on what others have in their bags and why but only the things you know how to use well, will serve you when you need them.
:big_boss:

dave5339
01-08-12, 07:35
I did the "Get home Walk" from my worksite back in '07. It was 18.1 miles in 5:45 with right at 40# of gear in my bag. Of course this was on a nice sunny North Texas April morning so weather wasn't a factor.

My preference bag wise is the Camelbak Motherload. It's got more than enough room for my purposes, handled a reasonable load well, and even after 5 hours was still comfortable.

A couple of things I learned on that walk:

People are not observant, (only two people asked what I was doing the whole walk)
Comms are good to have, (I carried a cell and an amateur handi talkie)
I only topped my camelbak once, (thanks SeriousStudent)
A good breakfast, two clif bars, and two MRE squeezy cheeses were enough to see my diabetic backside home

Skintop911 has as always a very valid point.. Lot's of people out there think that they can grab a bag and go, it's not always so. I spent the better part of three months training, (walk, walk some more, then go out and walk even more) for this event. For the AVERAGE person out there, walking home 15+ miles or more why carrying a load probably isn't going to happen.

If you feel the need to plan out a good GHB, don't miss the most important part, building up the cardio capacity to do it in the first place... Afterall, the first rule of surviving the zombie apocalypse is Cardio! :lol::lol:

Semper Fi

pilotguyo540
01-08-12, 12:00
I am questioning why everyone is coming down against food. A pack of mountain house is a good, cheap, insurance policy. When you get hungry, you start making stupid decisions. Depending on the scenario, 15 miles may take a very long time.

Ironman8
01-08-12, 12:24
I don't think anyone is coming down against food, I think its just personal preference. I'll probably stick to small food items like protein/granola bars but only because I know I can function for a while without food. Sleep, on the other hand, is where I might start to make dumb decisions if I'm deprived of it.

Mountain House isn't a bad idea, but it requires a good bit of water, and (preferably) a way to boil that water. Its also got alot of sodium, which will cause you to want even more water. It is light and doesn't take up much room, but I've just had a hard time figuring out how I'm going to store it in my truck without it going bad in just a few months. Summers in Texas are brutal on just about anything stored in a truck.

If there ever is a situation where I can't just drive home, I will be more worried about staying concealed, watching my six, and just keeping moving as much as possible. Camping out, eating, and sleeping isn't something I would look forward to in a bad situation where I have no backup. Therefore, I would rather not carry the extra weight and bulk of food and just get home as fast as possible.

Another thing, those who have done "the walk", that's great and all, but the time that you made it home in a peaceful situation might be doubled if you are trying to avoid trouble and stay off the "beaten path" in a "shtf" situation....just something to think about.

I find it funny how ALOT of the "youtube preppers" are grossly overweight and would be out of breath just walking up a flight of stairs. You can have all the preps in the world, but if YOU are the weak link, its all for nothing.

Jack-O
01-08-12, 13:14
while food is certainly far down the list of necessities, as mentioned the mental boost one gets is worth the weight IMO.

I find that a pound of good old costco brand trail mix with some extra dried fruit mixed in is very satisfying, the M&M's hit my sweet tooth, and it provides a nice energy burst and a morale boost as well.

If it's too much weight then carry less of it and get the same result.

situations that dictate a GHB are very attitude and mindset driven. anything that can boost those is a HUGE asset.

SeriousStudent
01-08-12, 13:59
Regarding food, I keep Mainstay 1200 calorie packets in my gear.

http://www.amazon.com/Mainstay-1200-Calorie-Survival-Bar/dp/B004ZHBZTE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_1

I liked the taste better that the Datrex bars or anything else. I did try living on them for 2 days, just to see if I could do it. It ain't steak, but it works.

I like the 1200 calorie packets rather than the 3600, for ease of use. Plus, I could also split them up with other people if need be.

I'm also a big fan of carrying water, and not just purification gear. I keep the Smartwater 1-liter bottles stashed. They pack easily and are very sturdy.

Grim Fandango
01-08-12, 21:53
3-it should have SOME water in it.

Can anyone recommend a safe method for storing a small amount of water in a vehicle long-term? I'm working on a get home bag right now. I commute 30+ miles to and from school, so that's the furthest distance I would likely have to get home via foot.

I have three broken down MREs in my pack, but heating them requires water, and of course I'd like to have some to drink as well. So how do I store it? Will (distilled?) water "keep" if you just fill a few Kleen Kanteens or nalgene bottles? Will the water stay drinkable stored in a Camelback? Ideally, whatever I use will live permanently in my trunk, and be changed out only as frequently as necessary for safety.

pilotguyo540
01-08-12, 22:57
Can anyone recommend a safe method for storing a small amount of water in a vehicle long-term? I'm working on a get home bag right now. I commute 30+ miles to and from school, so that's the furthest distance I would likely have to get home via foot.

I have three broken down MREs in my pack, but heating them requires water, and of course I'd like to have some to drink as well. So how do I store it? Will (distilled?) water "keep" if you just fill a few Kleen Kanteens or nalgene bottles? Will the water stay drinkable stored in a Camelback? Ideally, whatever I use will live permanently in my trunk, and be changed out only as frequently as necessary for safety.

If you are trying to get home from a specific location, in this case it's work, you an keep water in the office. This may also help Ironman8 for a place to store some food to get home on.

For the record, mountain house does not work worth a damn without hot water. Just saying. Don't even try.

HES
01-08-12, 23:24
That's a no brainer. I keep 4 1qt water bottles in my truck at all times. Two I drink, two I store. When I finish off the 1st two I then start drinking out of the 2nd two and fill up the 1st two when I get to work or home or where ever. Ergo, no long term storage concerns.

Jack-O
01-09-12, 10:15
That's a no brainer. I keep 4 1qt water bottles in my truck at all times. Two I drink, two I store. When I finish off the 1st two I then start drinking out of the 2nd two and fill up the 1st two when I get to work or home or where ever. Ergo, no long term storage concerns.

whats wrong with just keeping a few bottles of sealed bottled water in the trunk? it's not like it goes bad or anything.

ra2bach
01-09-12, 14:42
I am questioning why everyone is coming down against food. A pack of mountain house is a good, cheap, insurance policy. When you get hungry, you start making stupid decisions. Depending on the scenario, 15 miles may take a very long time.

who said anything against food? I think dehydrated food is unnecessary for the mission but you have to go back and define the original premise - how long and what conditions will be encountered? 40 miles from home is a lot different than 10...

15 miles on foot should be easy in one or two days in most conditions. 40 is an expedition with different needs...

Dehydrated food requires water, method to heat, and preparation time. which increases the number and weight and complexity of things you have to carry and the gear to carry it in which increases your profile.

for a long day or even an overnight, power bars, GORP, or whatever fuel you can take that is compact and light should see you home. Even MREs can be eaten cold or on the move...

I believe you should view this as a mission of getting home safely as quick as possible, and not just a hike... if having several $20 bills can get you a ride, or even around, through, or out of a certain neighborhood, then this achieves your goal much better than having comfort food under a bridge somewhere.

ra2bach
01-09-12, 14:51
I don't think anyone is coming down against food, I think its just personal preference. I'll probably stick to small food items like protein/granola bars but only because I know I can function for a while without food. Sleep, on the other hand, is where I might start to make dumb decisions if I'm deprived of it.

Mountain House isn't a bad idea, but it requires a good bit of water, and (preferably) a way to boil that water. Its also got alot of sodium, which will cause you to want even more water. It is light and doesn't take up much room, but I've just had a hard time figuring out how I'm going to store it in my truck without it going bad in just a few months. Summers in Texas are brutal on just about anything stored in a truck.

If there ever is a situation where I can't just drive home, I will be more worried about staying concealed, watching my six, and just keeping moving as much as possible. Camping out, eating, and sleeping isn't something I would look forward to in a bad situation where I have no backup. Therefore, I would rather not carry the extra weight and bulk of food and just get home as fast as possible.

Another thing, those who have done "the walk", that's great and all, but the time that you made it home in a peaceful situation might be doubled if you are trying to avoid trouble and stay off the "beaten path" in a "shtf" situation....just something to think about.

I find it funny how ALOT of the "youtube preppers" are grossly overweight and would be out of breath just walking up a flight of stairs. You can have all the preps in the world, but if YOU are the weak link, its all for nothing.

agree with this - I should have read it before I answered above.

one more thing, I really think the "situation" needs to be defined before we can go any further than this. if it's a true SHTF - you can bet I'm not above stealing a vehicle to make it home to my family as quick as possible.

in a case of downtown rioting, once I'm out of the "war zone", I'll be looking for other transpo, either public or private, and I think this is where having other resources than just camping gear is the smarter decision...

HES
01-09-12, 22:26
whats wrong with just keeping a few bottles of sealed bottled water in the trunk? it's not like it goes bad or anything.
Nothing I guess, but I drink a lot of water. So for me it's easy to keep a fresh stock on hand at all times.

trinydex
01-11-12, 21:20
I dont plan on my 10-30 mile hike taking long enough for me to need to cook food

how long are people thinking this will take?

ST911
01-11-12, 21:54
Ruck up and hit the road. Go for a really long walk. See how long it takes you in your AO. Assess onset and management of thirst, hunger, fatigue. Adjust preps.

Envision your car breaking down or your bus/subway/carpool not being available. Far more likely, and readily adaptable reality to the more exotic stuff people seem to feel most inclined to talk about.

trinydex
01-16-12, 23:45
nobody mentioned a stash of money in their get home bag.

Lost River
01-17-12, 10:37
Toilet paper
Wet wipes
Moleskin for blisters.

In this picture is a little green mini tackle box. I keep it in my "man purse". In it, in the individual compartments I keep tylenol, immodium, antacid tablets, aspirin, allergy pills, cold pills, prescription drugs, a pair of ear plugs, tweezers, book of matches, needle and thread, and a couple of springs and detents for M4s that commonly get lost.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/005-4.jpg

I keep a heavy rubber band over the mini tackle box as an added security measure to make sure it does not come open accidentally.

This is stuff I carried with me while working downrange. Here CONUS, the same kit gets carried in a maxpedition "manpurse". Don't forget a headlamp. I keep a bunch of other items in my bag, but many here have hit on similar items, so they do not need to be addressed.

Just food for thought, in regards to the mini tackle box of commonly used pills/meds/items.

Gray Man
01-18-12, 10:16
Lost River,
What size Maxpedition murse do you carry? I've been interested in that brand, but they all scream GUN to me, so either carrying on my person or leaving it sit on my truck seat seems conspicuous. Your thoughts on the size/capacity/conspicuous balance?

Thanks, GM

Atchcraft
01-18-12, 11:38
My "GHB" is a Maxpedition Sitka and they do a great job of making it comfortable for a long time I still think 2 shoulder straps are better.

as far as what is in there I have a lot of the same as the running list except, I hate coffee so none of that and I dont plan on my 10-30 mile hike taking long enough for me to need to cook food so I rotate lots of bars and GU

I have gloves in there too, just cause.

also I dont keep it in the bag but in my truck is a tomahawk that I will take with me if I can.

I love my Sitka for EDC. I keep an admin. pouch, with basic survival stuff, that can easily be removed and left in the car if needed. My commute to work is 80 mi. each way, so I keep the car stocked with a few items as well. I never really thought about treking all the way home though, so I might rethink things a bit.

ra2bach
01-19-12, 00:04
nobody mentioned a stash of money in their get home bag.

I did...

trinydex
01-19-12, 00:07
I did...

oh, missed that. i wish there were survivor stories that listed "things i wish i had when i was trying to survive"

i wonder if a prepaid phone would be a good idea.

ra2bach
01-20-12, 11:07
Lost River,
What size Maxpedition murse do you carry? I've been interested in that brand, but they all scream GUN to me, so either carrying on my person or leaving it sit on my truck seat seems conspicuous. Your thoughts on the size/capacity/conspicuous balance?

Thanks, GM

if I could get a well-built "Hello Kitty" bag in pink and purple I think this would be the best you could do. or something in a pastel color with a big "Huggy's Diapers" logo would be about as good...

my 26.5" folding stock Mini-14 fits into a child's folding chair bag that I have lined with closed cell foam to hide the outline.

thrown in the back of the car or over my shoulder, it looks like what it's supposed to look like. however, the shape is still going to be an indicator to someone who knows what they're looking for...

Gray Man
01-20-12, 11:27
After studying the Maxpedition and MilspecMonkey websites, I decided to order the Sitka in OD. I'm 6'3" so it'll look a lot different on me than the MilspecMonkey guy. It might be too large, but I built a list of things I want to take with me-----------vs. just filling the thing up when it arrives, and I think the Sitka should be about right. Any leftover space I can carry a few diapers/bottles and formula. With a toddler in my arms and a fleece blanket strapped to the outside, I should have all the babyflage I need.

One other angle I considered, and I'll report back if it really works is how to access a handgun in a hurry. Other than my Hillpeople Kit Bag, I don't have much faith in a fast draw from a zippered bag. SO I ordered a lefty Sitka so the strap goes around the support side of my torso and won't print a handgun worn on my right hip.............at least that's the plan. I can still carry a spare G19, mags, weaponlight, and whatever I want to share with my wife if we get stranded or there's time to access the inside of the bag. But for immediate handgun deployment, I really don't have much faith in the Gearslinger approach to spinning the bag around front and running a zipper. It'll be here on Monday.

ra2bach
01-20-12, 11:27
oh, missed that. i wish there were survivor stories that listed "things i wish i had when i was trying to survive"

i wonder if a prepaid phone would be a good idea.

define your disaster. if there's a situation that requires you to E&E on foot, what good is having a phone other than the one you already have?

again, my take is that this is a Get-Home bag, not a Bug-Out bag...

I don't need a mess kit and the kitchen sink, I need the essentials to get me home. if that takes trading my watch and a handful of cash, so be it.

a CCW, an EDC knife, and a light along the lines of what is normally carried would also seem to be prudent but that's why I always have those with me anyway. the GH bag could have some extra loaded mags, batteries, and water as well as some med stuff, extra clothing/rain gear/shoes, and power bars.

depending on the situation at hand, once I'm home I may need to go native but I don't see this being my primary issue if away from the house when calamity strikes...

Moose-Knuckle
01-20-12, 17:38
Concerning long guns. . .

To me priority number one is concealment, staying low profile, being "grey man".

My current "trunk gun" is a SAR-1 w/ Romanian side folder; it fits perfectly into a BFG Denied Area 28" discreet bag (now discontinued). Mine is shiny emerald green. Since Sneaky Bags is now defunct if your trunk gun is an AR then 5.11 Tactical has come out with their COVRT M4 (http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/New-Items/COVRT-M4.html?) bag. I like this bag for the fact that it accepts a 16" carbine without having to break it down.

calicojack
01-20-12, 20:49
I'm currently pimping a so tech go bag extended. Carries everything I need it to. i'll do a pictorial in the next day or two.

maximus83
01-21-12, 14:49
Thanks for all the tips on this thread. I learned a lot just by hearing what everybody else does. It seems like you can drive yourself nuts trying to configure the "perfect GHB." In the end, I ordered a Maxpedition Falcon 2, in black so that the "tactical" aspects wouldn't stand out so much. The reasons I wanted the Falcon, besides the known quality of Max products, were:

* 1500+ cubic inches of space. This was about the perfect size for what I wanted. Bigger than one of the single-strap shoulder bags, but much lighter and more compact than a full 3-day assault pack.
A good all-around, mid-size pack.
* Flexibility. The pack has an expansion system (with compression straps) and can be configured to serve dual-purpose as an EDC pack, a day hiker, etc. I don't want to spend the money for half a dozen specialized different bags right now, so my GHB is also going to have serve dual purpose as an EDC bag. It can also fit a full-size laptop, when I need to.
* Water. The Falcon can fit a full size 100oz hydration bladder, if I need to use it.

One other issue I'm still weighing, because I live in Western Washington, is the high likelihood of rain. The packs are water-RESISTANT at best, that's about it. I'm thinking I need to get a rain cover for another brand that would be close to fitting this size of a pack. I did consider some waterproof backpacking packs that are available, but they are so oriented towards backpacking and being waterproof, they give up some of the real advantages of the Falcon. So, I'll find a rain cover. It's a little surprising to me that Maxpedition hasn't thought to offer some pullover rain covers as accessories for their main pack sizes.

Note: Camelbak has a small/med rain cover (http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Raincovers-Hydration-System-Size/dp/B000228NFU/) that you can fold up and keep in pack when not used. It might work, at about $13 it would be a bargain.

indawire
01-21-12, 19:09
So stick a small and large HD garbage bag in the BOB, one for the BOB and one for you, it's better than nothing and certainly dons't look like anything worth taking. Getting home without attracting attention is part of the plan.

mdauben
01-23-12, 00:25
Coming late to the discussion, but here's a few thoughts.

* Is this a bad idea, taking a GHB whose main purpose is survival, and then make it sort of dual-purpose so you can use as an EDC bag? Is there a better setup I should look at?
Its probably not the optimal choice. There are things you would want in a GHB (knife, tools, firearm, even bottled water) that won't pass security in an airport. If you use your GHB for EDC, you also run the risk of using your GHB consumables and ending up without something vital when you need it for an emergency.

* For this type of bag, what are the trade-offs (besides weight, obviously) between a 1-strap vs a 2-strap pack?
One strap bags are great for light EDC, but they severely limit how much and how far you can carry. IMO, if you end up with more than 10 or maybe 15 pounds of gear, you are better off with a 2-strap pack.

* Should I get a pack that can include full 100oz hydration, or for THIS type of pack, should I just keep it lighter/smaller, and stick with some water purification stuff?
I don't see any reason not to get a large hydration bladder. You can always just put 32 oz in a 100 oz bladder, but you can't put 100 oz in a 32 oz bladder. That said, for long term storage I prefer to use sealed, store bought bottled water. In an emergency you can add pour it into the bladder to use, but I'm concerned about a bladder developing bacteria or mold if its left full of water for weeks or months at a time. No matter how much water you start with, provisions for purifying more (chemical or filter) is a must.

* A very important requirement for me to consider is water-resistance features. Where we live (NW), it's very damp and there's rain almost 8 months of the year.
No mater how water resistant the pack itself it, everything inside that isn't inherently waterproof should be packed in ziplock freezer bags.

* What would be some good packs to buy that meet most of these requirements? I've been looking at a few different configurations of GHB bags, so far mostly at Maxpedition:
I'm a fan of CamelBak hydration packs. They make everything from bladders with a pocket on them to full out assault pack sized. I'm less familiar with Maxpedition, other than knowing they make quality products.

YMMV. ;)

Gray Man
01-23-12, 18:09
My MaxP Sitka (OD, left-hand) came today. WOW it's an impressive little bag for the money. This is my first piece of MaxP gear, so I was a little concerned that my definition of quality was the same as the online reviews I've read.

I've also confirmed a few points now that it's arrived.

First I'm glad I made a gear list while waiting for the bag. I'll probably tweak it, but it will avoid the trap of adding crap until the it's all nice and filled out.

Secondly, I think I made the right choice in ordering a lefty pack. I am and will always be faster drawing from my belt than from a pack I have to swing around front and unzip. I'll still carry an extra pistol in the designated slot, but I won't rely on it as my primary.

Finally, I think I selected the perfect pack for me. It'll easily haul what I need, has great organization, and is perfectly proportioned to my physical size. It's still small enough to go unnoticed behind my truck seat or in a corner of the house, but large enough to have a little flexibility. It's nice to hit a home run the first time at the plate. :)

maximus83
01-23-12, 18:44
Interesting to hear your choices as well, Gray Man. So you went with the one-strap bag for your GHB. I was definitely interested in those for a while, though ultimately (and partly because I wanted mine to be more dual purpose) I went with the Falcon 2 in the traditional backpack style.

Will be interested to hear your experiences using the Sitka and what kinds of pros and kinds you find to using it in contrast with a 2-shoulder setup. Also interested to hear how you load it out, when using it as a GHB.

I am similarly thinking about how to load out my Falcon 2. Once accessory I bought is the Janus extension pocket, which seems like a really flexible way to add some additional storage and keep it accessible for stuff you need to get to quickly. Also, for EDC purposes (separate from the backpack), I bought one of their new little Micro EDC pocket organizers, which is small enough to fit in a pocket but will gather up a lot of the loose ended EDC stuff I carry.

ggp2jz
01-25-12, 15:07
I recommend the 5.11 Covrt 18. I carry one everyday and it doesnt stick out.

Mountain_House
04-12-12, 13:03

Ironman8, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the sodium content of Mountain House. We've noticed our fans have been asking for low sodium options for their favorite meals, so I'd like to send you a sample of our new meals, which have less than 300mg of sodium. If you're interested, please send me a private message and we can go from there. Thanks.

drrufo
04-12-12, 14:41
I carry a Swiss Army bag for work. It carries my headphones, am/fm radio, pens and other misc. It also has pockets that hold a 4 cell 123 flashlight, a small pry bar, several cyalume lights and dust masks. If needed I could empty all the work gear into my car and load it up with the half liter bottles of water I carry in my car and the rain gear for a 40 mile walk home. I would try to stay with friends who are closer, but if my work is in the middle of a semi war zone so are they.
I live in earthquake and riot country so I carry a footlocker in the back of my station wagon Volvo, it has enough gear for me to stay in the parking lot at work overnight or even a couple of days, so I would give serious thought to staying in the secure parking lot at work before I would walk thru a riot zone or earthquake rubble. For me to walk around either of those would make my walk about 50/75 miles.

burtonb
04-12-12, 14:51
Nachezz Shooters Supply has a bunch of the Eagle Escape & Evasion bags at a very cheap price...would be well worth looking into.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=EYEEMSLE&src=exrbSrch

AKDoug
04-12-12, 17:09
I totally agree with the statements regarding avoiding a "tactical" looking backpack. I have used a DaKine Heli Pro for about 10 years now, and it has been stellar. It is designed for packing skis or a snowboard, so it has a ton of random straps and pockets that double for other purposes. Mine has literally been around the world, and shows no signs of stopping. The newer ones are specifically designed for laptops and office supplies as well as hydration etc.

http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/snow-packs/guys/team-heli-pro---sean-pettit Dakine makes good stuff and blends right in with the peaceniks. I've had mine for over 10 years and it is still going strong after riding nearly 10,000 miles on my back on my snowmachine. Now it's my GHB with the basics in it. I have firestarter, headlamp, flashlight, basic first aid kit, a little cash, one liter of water, a Leatherman and a spare fleece coat.

The only true "get home" story I have ever heard was from a friend of mine that was in the San Fran earthquake while at the World Series game. He hoofed it back to his mom's house in Oakland. I believe he walked across the San Mateo bridge since the Bay Bridge was damaged. Regardless of the way he went, it was a long hoof. He had a day pack with water and a jacket for the game, plus a decent amount of cash to buy food along the way. No firearm due to the location, but he did have a Leatherman and a flashlight. He helped numerous people get out of the stadium with that flashlight before things settled down.

ra2bach
04-12-12, 22:18
The only true "get home" story I have ever heard was from a friend of mine that was in the San Fran earthquake while at the World Series game. He hoofed it back to his mom's house in Oakland. I believe he walked across the San Mateo bridge since the Bay Bridge was damaged. Regardless of the way he went, it was a long hoof. He had a day pack with water and a jacket for the game, plus a decent amount of cash to buy food along the way. No firearm due to the location, but he did have a Leatherman and a flashlight. He helped numerous people get out of the stadium with that flashlight before things settled down.

that's exactly the type of thing I envisioned. but couldn't he have hitched a ride if the roads were open? I misspent a lot of my youth alongside the road with my thumb out...

gsxr-fan
04-15-12, 15:41
Great advice from everyone here; I might add a map in a large zip lock bag and a light weight compass if it was my GHB...

Mac5.56
05-04-13, 22:45
The one thing that I have learned from being married to a type-1 Diabetic is that any GHB, BOB, or whatever should always have some form of emergency food (granola bars, and protein bars for energy, and hard candies/fruit snacks to treat her reactions or for quick pick me ups on long hikes).

Other then that there isn't much I would add to a lot of the suggestions here.