PDA

View Full Version : If you could have one pair of tactical boots

hkbladelawhk
01-05-12, 19:27
.....For everything. What pair would it be?

I'm starting to near wanting a new pair. So far I've worn:

Danner Striker (Sidezip and Nylon; Lasted the longest, and they have replaced a pair for free due to cracking; downside is that they are the heaviest ones I own)

Original Swat Side Zip and Waterproof (Super comfortable, great feel, each pair wore down within a the equivalent of a year; and this is alternating too)

Magnum Elite (Owned the Nylon WP a while back, great feel from what I remember, then again we are talking 2004. Somewhat durable.)

Ridge Air-Tac (don't remember much about em other than decent build, and cheesy air heel, can't say much about durability as I don't remember)

Blackhawk Light Assault Boot (epic comfort, the most like a running/tennis shoe, though the toe came unglued quite quickly in the AZ heat. After re-gluing, it came undone again, but it's still in one piece and definitely wearable with a decent amount of tread)

So far, I've been alternating on and off of each on the occasion. The worn down original swat seem to be a favorite for hiking and Paintball, but I'm looking for a good one that will likely last 1.5-2 years if not longer (without alternating). I'm not military or LEO, so it would mostly be seeing pavement, some offroad for hiking and definite dirt and scuffs for paintball.

I've been looking into the Black Ops Boot by Blackhawk as I've heard great things about it. I wanna hear what ya'll think. And go!

Jaysop
01-05-12, 19:41
What is your use? The Marine corps has limits on what boots you can have. I love all my danners. Hot weather and cold weather version.

I use bates lights to run bc the danners are fckin cement shoes.

Do you need a hook on the heel for ladders and so on?

hkbladelawhk
01-05-12, 19:47
Civi, so all around. Nothing overly specific, just something light, preferably water resistant and durable.

lethal dose
01-05-12, 19:48
http://www.constructiongear.com/wolverine-work-boot-gore-tex-caribou-iii-soft-9in-clearance.html

Not necessarily in that color.

hkbladelawhk
01-05-12, 19:51
http://www.constructiongear.com/wolverine-work-boot-gore-tex-caribou-iii-soft-9in-clearance.html

Not necessarily in that color.

Heh. Not quite.

Jaysop
01-05-12, 19:51
Civi, so all around. Nothing overly specific, just something light, preferably water resistant and durable.

Given that, Id go for the danners. If your not running in them they're the best in my opinion. I use them for almost anything I can now. And as you already know they stand by they're product. You can send them back to be rebuilt as well. Also they don't have that tactical look to them which is nice.

hkbladelawhk
01-05-12, 19:55
Given that, Id go for the danners. If your not running in them they're the best in my opinion. I use them for almost anything I can now. And as you already know they stand by they're product. You can send them back to be rebuilt as well. Also they don't have that tactical look to them which is nice.

No, not running daily to the extent most on this forum might, though I would be using them for trail running on the occasion. Hence me kinda trying to move past Danner (klunk klunk klunk when stopping :D) to try something new.

mrosamilia
01-05-12, 19:55
Under Armour Speed Freak. Light and Gore Tex. They feel like sneakers.

hkbladelawhk
01-05-12, 20:03
Under Armour Speed Freak. Light and Gore Tex. They feel like sneakers.

Durability? I've heard mixed reviews about UA.

superr.stu
01-05-12, 20:07
Asolo Fugitive GTX or Solomon Quest 4D, as far as I'm concerned might as well be the only 2 boots on the planet.

Spiffums
01-05-12, 20:16
I wore Magnums for a few years at work on concrete. They were slick on wet concrete but they were steel toe and really light weight.

mrosamilia
01-05-12, 20:36
Durability? I've heard mixed reviews about UA.

Not sure on longevity yet I've only had 2 months but so far all is well.

hkbladelawhk
01-05-12, 21:05
Hmm. Speed Freaks look nice, but about $15-20 more than the Black Ops, and still nothing to prove about durability on em. Anyone else got some idears?

johnpuga1982
01-05-12, 21:35
I like the Rocky C4 Trainer. Performs more like a sneaker. Really good for running and they're real light.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2B72Cxd%2BML._SY395_.jpg

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/10580/1600FQ0001070/Rocky_C4_Trainer_Duty_Boot/

The Rocky S2V is another good shoe. A little pricey though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412HGaeRgzL.jpg

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4286/1600FQ0000101/Rocky-S2V-Vented-Military-Duty-Boot/

hkbladelawhk
01-05-12, 21:38
Okay, so doing some research, It's between the two. Anyone got an idea of how sizing is on UA?

Kirkrv8
01-05-12, 22:22
Take a look at the Inov-8 288 Ricklight, more of a barefoot boot, but really light and Goretex and I love mine.

AFGuy1227
01-05-12, 23:27
The Under Armour Valsetz boot has been one of the best pair of boots I've had in a while; very light, comfortable when standing for 3-4 hrs, and very good traction, even on snow and ice. And I've worn many different boots; 3 diff Bates, 2 diff Danners, 3 diff Bellevilles, and a Converse. They're a tactical hiking boot according to UA but look a little more tactical than hiking and for some reason not available in black no more. I had to go up a half size from 9.5 to a 10 so they run a little small, for me anyway.

lethal dose
01-06-12, 08:04
Heh. Not quite.

like i said... not that color. the boots have held up quite well for me. i also like redwings... maybe they aren't "spec ops" enough for you.

warpigM-4
01-06-12, 08:14
I have worn Magnums for a few years when i was trucking and working in a warehouse.it was good for that .

But I prefer My Bates gore-tex winter boots and the bates summer boots .They held up well for me in the army and are like tennis shoes for me but i would love to try out some of the other brands listed here

Dave L.
01-06-12, 08:26
Asolo Fugitive GTX...

Agreed.

There is nothing tactical about a re-engineered jungle boot, unless you are operating in the jungle. Making a tan suede jungle boot and calling is a desert boot is ****ing retarded.

SWATcop556
01-06-12, 09:21
What do you mean by tactical?

I have the Danner Acadias that I used for uniform patrol. Working in plain clothes I live in Salomon shoes and boots. I have the 4D Quest and the 3D Comet for boots. Both are built like a brick shithouse and are extremely durable. They are my go-to for anything boot related and they can be found in "tactical" colors other than all black. I like the Sage/Thyme/Moss color personally.

These are my 95% do-all when I need a boot:

http://www.zappos.com/salomon-comet-3d-gtx-swamp-thyme-moss

warpigM-4
01-06-12, 09:26
Swatcop can i ask your opinion?
I am in the process of getting in at the County sheriffs Jail as a Correctional Officer and i have got all the Catalogs Gals etc.
But what would be a good boot for being on your feet on concrete all day ??thank for any help I am just not sure what to get there are so many different boots out there:confused:

SuperiorDG
01-06-12, 09:51
Asolo Fugitive Gore-Tex® Hiking Boots (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/asolo-fugitive-gore-tex-hiking-boots-waterproof-for-men~p~83990/?filterString=mens-boots~d~137%2F&colorFamily=07)

Only boot I've worn for the last seven years

Irish
01-06-12, 10:12

Don't take this the wrong way. Why do you want a "tactical boot" when you're a civi who wants all around usage? The recommendations for the Asolos and the Salomons are right on point. I have a pair of the Quest 4D and would highly recommend them as they're light, comfortable and don't require a break-in but still give great support.

Just because .Mil and coppers use them doesn't mean that'd be their first choice of footwear. Often times they're required to wear a certain brand or style to fit within their regulations.

mkmckinley
01-06-12, 10:24
If you're a civilian you don't have limit yourself to uniform style boots. Some decent lightweight hikers should be great. I've used Merrill Sawtooths and really liked them and they held up great. I also really like a pair or Lowas I have, light and durable, but I can't remember the specific model. I think they're called Seekers or Desert Seekers or something. Not jogging but I've done trail run/walks in both of those pairs.

Get something that's good quality and fits right and you'll be fine. Lighter is better. Get some good socks. I like the wigwam Lightweight BDU socks and FITS merino socks are beyond excellent too.

tb-av
01-06-12, 10:28
Take a look at Lowa GTX

militarymoron
01-06-12, 11:32
salomon quest 4D is a great all-round boot (i'm wearing them right now in fact), as are some of the offerings from lowa. if i had to pick one pair of boots out of all that i own, to go walking into the unknown, it'd probably be the hanwag mountain lights, but they're not cheap.

a0cake
01-06-12, 11:46
Best Heavy Boots

By far my favorite boots for the Afghan mountains:

http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/products/TRAIL/TRAIL-BACKPACKING/p_66002-S07

The SL M3's are not Goretex, but properly treated they are very water resistant (it's super high quality leather).

I used the SL M3's almost year round in Afghanistan (I used Goretex boots when working in snow). You may find them too hot, stiff, or bulky at first, but when you're carrying 90 extra pounds and hopping from boulder to boulder you will appreciate the stability.

Disclaimer: They turn PINK when they get scuffed up....as evidenced by the picture below. But who really cares? It's not a fashion show.

http://i.imgur.com/wdjev.jpg

Best Light Boots

If that is too much boot for your purposes, look at these:

http://www.rei.com/product/780835/lowa-zephyr-gtx-mid-hiking-boots-mens

I generally prefer these boots when I need to be lighter on my feet and I'm not carrying more than 50 pounds of shit. They're fast and light like a running shoe but provide excellent stability for their form and weight. Not my first choice for walking up and down mountains, but for urban or mildly hilly open terrain they are absolutely tops.

SWATcop556
01-06-12, 14:19
Swatcop can i ask your opinion?
I am in the process of getting in at the County sheriffs Jail as a Correctional Officer and i have got all the Catalogs Gals etc.
But what would be a good boot for being on your feet on concrete all day ??thank for any help I am just not sure what to get there are so many different boots out there:confused:

PM inbound

Moose-Knuckle
01-06-12, 15:40
Try the search feature. . .

If you want to learn from someone who has been there and done that then read BattleDrill3's posts that start on page 4 post #75.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48689

Also pay attention to HOPLOETHOS's post in the thread as well. A wealth of knowledge there friend.

EzGoingKev
01-06-12, 15:42
Scarpa Kailash.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0m7FRE1NGno/TOR7RcSvhZI/AAAAAAAAC_k/lgQxyeyh_54/s800/Scarpa_Kailash.jpg

Freelance
01-06-12, 15:48
My 5'11 HRT's are pretty comfortable for a all around boot for the bay area climate.

Watrdawg
01-06-12, 16:01
I've been wearing UA Speed Freaks for about 6 months now. Everything from training classes to regular yard work. Very light weight, confortable, sizing is true to the size and my feet do not get sore. I have not put them through any very heavy duty work yet. I have done a good bit of steep rocky hiking in them and they have held up very well so far.

David Thomas
01-06-12, 16:57
Don't take this the wrong way. Why do you want a "tactical boot" when you're a civi who wants all around usage? The recommendations for the Asolos and the Salomons are right on point. I have a pair of the Quest 4D and would highly recommend them as they're light, comfortable and don't require a break-in but still give great support.

Just because .Mil and coppers use them doesn't mean that'd be their first choice of footwear. Often times they're required to wear a certain brand or style to fit within their regulations.

bingo.

I have worn nothing but Salomon for past 4 years. I am currently wearing the Quest 4D, and will soon buy a pair of the mids.

SWATcop556
01-06-12, 17:10
bingo.

I have worn nothing but Salomon for past 4 years. I am currently wearing the Quest 4D, and will soon buy a pair of the mids.

Once you go Salomon it's hard to wear anything else. I didn't think that until I snagged my first pair. It's been all downhill from there. :help:

Irish
01-06-12, 17:25
Once you go Salomon it's hard to wear anything else. I didn't think that until I snagged my first pair. It's been all downhill from there. :help:

The 4D's have worked out great for me. I also tried a pair of the mid-height XA Pro 3D GTX and they were super comfy but I returned them due to not liking the Quicklace system. The laces are too thin and way too long. Any idea if they plan on coming out with a better solution in the near future? I'd prefer a traditional lacing system to what they're currently using.

rob_s
01-06-12, 17:32
Have we established how we tell a "tactical" boot from a "hiking" boot?

ETA:
I don't have them yet, but I'm hunting some Keens. Not sure what model yet. I have wide feet at the toe, and I just recently got my first pair of Keens, and FINALLY there is a shoe cut to a sensible shape. My feet are so spoiled now I have to get more, and I'm looking to replace every type of shoe I have with something from them.

randyho
01-06-12, 17:48
Asolo FSN85's for dry conditions, Asolo FSN95's if goretex is needed. I'm exceedingly happy with both.

a0cake
01-07-12, 00:59
Have we established how we tell a "tactical" boot from a "hiking" boot?

Tactical is a word companies use to sell shit.

If any product serves a useful purpose for somebody who carries a gun for a living, then it's serving a tactical purpose.

Does establishing the difference between a tactical boot and a hiking boot really matter?

If you're carrying a firearm and the boots are working for you then they're tactical boots.

The rest of this is not directed at you, Rob_S...just an addition to the discussion....

For my purposes hiking style boots have always been best (both in urban and mountainous terrain.)

When it comes to boots, I've found nearly all boots marketed to the "tactical" crowd to be junk. 5.11's, Oakleys, Altimas...you can have them. First time around in Iraq years ago I went through 3 pairs of Oakleys, 1 pair of 5.11 HRT's, and 2 pair of Altima Exospeeds. The sole separated on all of them. The stitching was also failing in multiple places on each boot. That's an average of a 2 month lifespan per pair of boots. No-go.

Then afterward before a more recent deployment, I was involved in product testing for boots from various manufacturers and Mystery Ranch packs at the same time. This means that the boots I tried got a lot of abuse. Nobody involved in the testing selected a classic "tactical" style boot for any purpose. Every single person selected a hiking boot. Hiking boots from Scarpa, Asolo, Lowa, La Sportiva, Merrell, and Vasque can be had in almost any configuration from light weight to heavy bomb proof glacier scaling boots that will accept crampons. You can get soft soles that will wear out quickly but have outstanding grip on wet rocks or a bit harder soles that will last a bit longer but be a little slippery. (Vibram soles are in the latter category, while Asolo's proprietary soles are sticky but don't last long). Point is, there are a lot of options out there in the hiking boot market and you can find something that will work for you.

The thing to realize is each manufacturer has sizing tendencies. Example, Scarpas fit people with narrow feet best. Wide footed individuals may have problems getting Scarpas to fit properly.

Just like anything else, you need to try boots on from multiple manufacturers to see which suits your foot type best. Just make sure you stick with quality names like the ones I listed above.

Then determine what kind of boot you need. Not dealing with much terrain or not carrying much weight? Standing around on pavement most of the day? Go with a lightweight boot. The Lowa Zephyr's I linked to above are just about perfect for this role. Asolo FSN 95's are a good alternative if the Lowas dont fit your foot. If you don't need Goretex (it's not bad, even in the summer...just take care of your feet), Lowa does offer a version of those boots without Goretex. Don't get stuck out in the rain though (they're suede not leather so you'll get no protection).

Walking up (and more importantly DOWN) mountains? You need a heavier boot (like the Scarpa SLM3's). Lighter is not always better, only because lighter means less supportive. If that wasn't the case then it would be true. Lighter for a given amount of support is always better would be a more accurate statement. Go to Kunar with any lightweight boot and then tell me with a straight face that they worked out well. Do yourself a favor and suck up some weight and get a rock solid boot like the SLM3's. You'll spend a lot more time vertical and a lot less time picking yourself up off your ass after you roll your ankle.

I realize that was rambling, but hopefully it helps a little bit.

Belmont31R
01-07-12, 01:18
Get a boot that fits your foot, and in a style that matches the need.

Lots of good brands out there that is really splitting hairs as to who is better. Im partial to Lowa and Asolo but other brands may fit you better. Doesn't matter if its the most well made boot in the world if it doesn't fit you.

David Thomas
01-07-12, 01:28
The 4D's have worked out great for me. I also tried a pair of the mid-height XA Pro 3D GTX and they were super comfy but I returned them due to not liking the Quicklace system. The laces are too thin and way too long. Any idea if they plan on coming out with a better solution in the near future? I'd prefer a traditional lacing system to what they're currently using.

The quick lace is one of the reasons I want a pair of the mids. I have used them on Saomon's trail runners and LOVE the quick lace. The quick lace system tucks nicely into the little pocket to keep them snag free.

Rob S,
As far as distinguishing hikers from "tactical," I guess I am like the others and do not know what would make foot wear "tactical."

cop1211
01-07-12, 01:48
Not in any order Asolo Solomon Lowa.

JW5219
01-07-12, 06:36
I just received a pair of Lowa Zephyr GTX MID's from Santa. Very comfortable right out of the box, and it doesn't seem like there will be any break in time. Won't hurt to give them a look if you have a dealer near you. REI ?

rob_s
01-07-12, 06:42
Get a boot that fits your foot, and in a style that matches the need.

Lots of good brands out there that is really splitting hairs as to who is better. Im partial to Lowa and Asolo but other brands may fit you better. Doesn't matter if its the most well made boot in the world if it doesn't fit you.

Exactly. and my recent discovery of Keen, and that they fit my foot better than anything I've ever worn, really made me come to realize this. I just thought I was always going to have to jam my feet into shoes that hurt, and it was always going to be a matter of least amount of pain.

Then I tried on a pair of Brooks running shoes with a wide toe box and saw what the problem was all along ("wide" sizing in regular shoes never did anything for me) which led me to seek out the Keens and, as mentioned, now I'm replacing all my shoes with models from them. Sneakers, running shoes, hiking shoes... "tactical" if I can figure out what that is.

I write all this to say that if you're like me and having trouble finding shoes, don't despair and keep looking. I tried all the various brands that all the various gurus suggested, and stumbled on Keen purely by accident and all on my own.

Become your own SME.

militarymoron
01-07-12, 13:26
As far as distinguishing hikers from "tactical," I guess I am like the others and do not know what would make foot wear "tactical."

colour. :)
in all seriousness, what 'tactical' in this case would mean to me is that if your footwear supports the tactics that you're using (whatever you're doing), then it should be 'tactically appropriate'. a civilian hiker like me has no 'tactical' need when going on a hike, so colour is of no concern (brighter might be better if you need to be rescued or found). if a soldier needs to reduce his visual signature and blend into his surroundings better, then colour becomes a factor, and brown would be more supportive of his activity than bright yellow. anyways, to me, that'd be the only practical difference.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-08-12, 14:36
Osolo Echo's is what I wear and if I ever needed them to be "tactical" I would just figure out a way to paint or tape over the few non "tactical" colors that it has.

Scotter260
01-09-12, 00:08
Danner Recons or Acadias.

I got my first pair of Olympias (now Recons I believe) in 2000 for $199ish. They were rebuilt in 2007 for $90 and still decent.

A new pair was purchased 09-10, and they're still practically brand new. US made and can be refurbed, granted the Recons are now touching 300 bills, pro-rate that out over the years though and you're not out much.

A bit on the heavy side for running but I just make sure I cinch them down really well before going to work in case some asshat wants to go for a jog.

bprice01
01-10-12, 10:49
Danner Recons or Acadias.

I got my first pair of Olympias (now Recons I believe) in 2000 for $199ish. They were rebuilt in 2007 for $90 and still decent.

A new pair was purchased 09-10, and they're still practically brand new. US made and can be refurbed, granted the Recons are now touching 300 bills, pro-rate that out over the years though and you're not out much.

A bit on the heavy side for running but I just make sure I cinch them down really well before going to work in case some asshat wants to go for a jog.

Kind of a weird question but could you tell me how far apart the eyelets are on the Acadias? Specifically the 3 at the top. Thanks!

SWATcop556
01-10-12, 14:13
Kind of a weird question but could you tell me how far apart the eyelets are on the Acadias? Specifically the 3 at the top. Thanks!

About 1/2" give or take.

bprice01
01-10-12, 14:29
About 1/2" give or take.

Thanks!

nobody knows
01-10-12, 22:23
I like the Rocky C4 Trainer. Performs more like a sneaker. Really good for running and they're real light.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2B72Cxd%2BML._SY395_.jpg

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/10580/1600FQ0001070/Rocky_C4_Trainer_Duty_Boot/

The Rocky S2V is another good shoe. A little pricey though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412HGaeRgzL.jpg

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4286/1600FQ0000101/Rocky-S2V-Vented-Military-Duty-Boot/

^^^these, I have a pair of danner arcadia's(sp?) I like them but they are heavy as hell. Other then that they are rock solid. My next purchase will ether be the rocky's above or these http://www.uspatriottactical.com/desert-tan-kiowa.html they look vary lite and vary minimalist. I'm still researching these but so fare so good.

yellow50
01-10-12, 22:40
Id stay away from anything low top if you are going to do any hiking. I had a FTO break his ankle wearing the low top strikers.
Danners Acadias or ft. Lewis' take an incredible amount of abuse and offer a ton of ankle support. They are moderately heavy but after a while you become accustomed to the weight. On several occasions I should have broke an ankle but the danners provied enough support that I only severely sprained it. The down side to the danners are they suck in the cold. Even the insulated version sucks if you are in any real snow.
I have destroyed bates and other similar boots in a few months so if you are you going to be doing any rough hiking I would steer clear of the sneaker type boots.

Turnkey11
01-10-12, 22:41
I just went back to the basic leathers after years of sneaker type boots of various makes. Running in them sucks but the added protection of a real "boot" is what I was after, and I can still do a 2 miler under 17 minutes wearing them with gear.

Scotter260
01-10-12, 23:59
One thing about the Danner's I've had is that the outsoles do seem to wear fairly quickly. That's the only reason I needed them redone, to replace the outsole, midsoles, and the package I got included a re-dip. It was essentially the lowest priced package that included what I needed. Looked brand new when I got that pair back but were already broken in. Like I indicated that was in 07, they're due again FWIW.

Figure they'll wear like OEM tires on a new squad car - like shit.

I have a pair of HRTs that aren't bad but with the first pair I had the outsole separated from the upper after only 9 months. To 5.11s credit they replaced them free of charge.

evil_nadman
01-11-12, 06:24
I have worn oakleys for the last 4 years and I love them for tactical boots. Now on the civilian side a I have had a pair of Merrill chameleon MIDs that have lasted with a bunch of heavy rucks and hikes. I have just recently picked up a pair of lowa GTX that are definitely my favorites now. Just my two cents.

superr.stu
01-11-12, 08:00
After reading through this thread I feel the urge to qualify my endorsement of Asolo over other brands.

I am harder on boots than just about anyone I have ever met. I work as a landscaper, and am training to become an Arborist. I will absolutely smoke a pair for Asolo Fugitive GTXs in 18months, they won't even be worth considering a refurb on when I'm done. I wore my last pair for ~340 days last year I shoot, fish, hike, work, and live in them. Work means dealing with water, mud, rock, concrete, laying brick, planting and climbing trees for 8-14hrs a day 6 days a week. They have enough support that I can come home and my back and knees not be hurting, while being flexible and light enough to climb and run in.

Compare that to every pair of Danner, Merrell, Redwing, ect...(that I've tried) Out of those I'll get 6months at best, and I'll be sore and pissed off most the time, and every day I can't get the boot off my foot fast enough. I burned through 4 pairs of Redwings in under a year, took them in for warranty each time, the last time Redwing asked me to not buy their boots anymore. Merrell MOABs were pretty comfortable, but same problem they don't last.

If I ever had a pair of boots last as long as Scotter with only one refurb, I'd dip them in gold and put them on display for the world. Stick with quality footwear, your body and checkbook will thank you. Asolo, Salomon are top dogs as far as I'm concerned. I've never wore Scarpa or Lowa, but have heard good things, The Keen boots that rob mentioned look decent, but I don't see myself trying them. For a lighter duty shoe Salomon xa 3d, or a running shoe.

edit: Yellow50 I'm not meaning to say that Danner is low quality, rather that the Asolo and Salomon are just better. In my experience with the 3-4 Danner boots I have had, and the demands I put on them the durability is less than what I desire (specifically in the mid and outer-sole). Also before discovering the 2 boots I recommended Danner was top of the heap in my opinion, it was the company I would go back to if something else didn't pan out as well.

yellow50
01-11-12, 09:23
"Compare that to every pair of Danner, Merrell, Redwing, and lesser brands."
- I would hardly call danner a low quality boot.

superr.stu
01-11-12, 11:29
Yellow50, see my edit at the end of my previous post. I hope that clears it up a little.

hkbladelawhk
01-15-12, 01:33
Sorry I'm taking so long to get back on topic, somehow the email notifications stopped. Odd.

As far as liking "tactical" boots the best. I'm so used to the 7-8 inch boot (long story), I've worn other lower cut shoes, and they just feel odd to me. I've loved my Danner Striker, but just got bored and wanted to try something new and lighter. I DID try (between my last post and now) the Blackhawk Black Ops Boot, I wanna like em (they look less like a boot when your pants hang over em, but they are too stiff not quite as comfortable as their Light Assault counterparts (EXCELLENT comfort, light as all hell, but crap for durability).

nickdrak
01-15-12, 02:11
Asolo Flame or Fugitive GTX. I have owned Salomon boots, and while initially they are super comfortable, they do not have the build quality or durabilty of the Asolo boots I have owned. Asolo's require a bit of a "break-in", but once they are broken they are as comfortable, and the most durable boots you will ever find.

Tiny86
01-16-12, 14:46
So in everyone's experience what brands runs the widest? I have a hard time finding a comfortable set of boots do to my foots. I know that Lowa and Salomon are supposed to be awesome but they run narrow. I wear around a 12-13 4e in running shoes. I need a pair of black boots and some hikers so color is only limited on one of them. I know that keen runs wide so I'm going to try a pair of those. I did manage to find a black pair of keens and think I'm going to give them a shot.
I'm about 255lbs and gear adds around 30lbs at work. Will the Keens work out for that or is that to much weight?
Thanks for the input guys!

TAZ
01-16-12, 19:56
As with weapons, the mission drives the train. If you want to scale Everest you're going to need different foot wear than if you're hoping to blend in at the coffee pot at work. Figure out what you're going to be doing in them the majority of the time. Walking around town on concrete with no load. Trail walking with little to no load. Trail running. Hiking on rugged trails. Backpacking on or off trails. Define those criteria and then if you have an REI or similar store talk to the guys in th department. The guys in manning the shoe dept at my local REI's have all been very helpful and knowledgable. They may not have given me the one shoe, but they lead me to try various units till I found the one that met my needs.

For my needs (concrete jungle to light backpacking needs) I have had good luck with Asolos, Keen and Lowa. The Asolos were definitely geared towards the outdoors and were a bit clunky around town, but they worked. Currently running a Lowa Renegade GTX and it fits in exceptionally well on the trails and at the coffee pot.

Armati
01-16-12, 22:19
Right now, the Rocky S2V is my all time favorite. It is light, comfortable and durable.

By way of comparison, I have worn most of the Belleville product line, most issue USGI boots, Danner Arcadia and TFX GTX, and several in the Asolo GTX line.

F-Trooper05
01-24-12, 18:14
Salomon Quest in the winter. Asolo Echo in the summer.

TN_Warrior
01-24-12, 21:22
garmont t8 is what I have been wearing for the past 2 years and love them. Need to do some research and see whats new.

reaver22
01-25-12, 00:57
I thought about picking up a pair of Lowa GTX Zephyrs for warmer climates or even all around boots. been reading alot of reviews saying they are pretty darn solid boot.

ZOMBIESLAYER
01-25-12, 13:29
I have 2 pair of the Lowa Zephyrs. You will not regret spending the money. IMO the best boots you can buy.

pr1042
01-26-12, 08:09
botach is doing 25% off danner boots with coupon code danner

might want to call or email to verify stock before ordering though

PlatoCATM
01-26-12, 21:08
Rocky S2V

size16feet
04-03-12, 22:04
So in everyone's experience what brands runs the widest? I have a hard time finding a comfortable set of boots do to my foots. I know that Lowa and Salomon are supposed to be awesome but they run narrow. I wear around a 12-13 4e in running shoes. I need a pair of black boots and some hikers so color is only limited on one of them. I know that keen runs wide so I'm going to try a pair of those. I did manage to find a black pair of keens and think I'm going to give them a shot.
I'm about 255lbs and gear adds around 30lbs at work. Will the Keens work out for that or is that to much weight?
Thanks for the input guys!

I wear size 16 boots, and happen to have a friend who is currently Sheriff in a small town. Prior to that he put in more than 20yrs on the force in a rough part of Chicago. He wears size 14EEE, and usually finds any boots he orders not to be wide enough. After his discovery of XLfeet.com, we probably will never buy from any other company that sells Big Shoes (http://xlfeet.com). XLfeet.com took care of us like no other company I have ever experienced both online or in person. The owner usually answers the emails and calls, and while he gives great customer service, he's definitely a "No Shit Taker" as well. Most of us in this forum can definitely relate!

For the Best Tactical Boots (http://https://www.xlfeet.com/Large-Tactical-Boots-s/110.htm) our opinions differ, but I prefer the Magnum's which feature the ion-mask Surface technology. It allows for sweat to escape your boots, while keeping them waterproof, chemical resistant and blood borne pathogen compliant. It was originally designed for military uniforms. Be sure to watch the videos at the bottom of the page, you'll be amazed when you see ion-mask in action!

I recommend the Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 SZ CT WPi

Slopes
04-05-12, 10:49
If I had to pick a single pair to own, it would have to be my Salomon Quest 4D GTX. They are comfortable, durable, and warm (this can be a downside at times, but I live in an area where the winter is 6 months of the year.)