PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint H1: Military Issue?

MistWolf
01-06-12, 14:41
Is the Aimpoint H1 issued to the troops by the military? I was thinking it would be the T1 as it's NVG compatible

wahoo95
01-06-12, 15:54
Neither as far as I know.

USMC_Anglico
01-06-12, 16:01
Neither are general issue. The T-1 is an approved optic for SOCOM through the SOPMOD "menu". Some units have also made unit purchases, again of T-1's. I have never seen an H-1, most likely due to the lack of NV settings.

deadlyfire
01-06-12, 16:10
I have never personally seen a soldier (SOCOM or not) utilize the NVG compatibility on any weapon optic.

USMC_Anglico
01-06-12, 16:27
I have never personally seen a soldier (SOCOM or not) utilize the NVG compatibility on any weapon optic.

Off topic, not sure what type of experience you have - Do you have any B4's? I'm pretty certain they would be using that capability, just like USMC SS. We train by using our 14's on weak side eye and run our CCO's on the NV setting. Acceptable accuracy out to 50 yds. and less signature than having umpteen lasers going everywhere. Just an example.

RogerinTPA
01-06-12, 17:37
Even with current CCOs, I never even heard of a rumor of anyone using that feature with NODS/NVGs. There may be some that do, but most use an IR laser or pointer.

MistWolf
01-06-12, 20:39
Thank you for the answers. I'd heard a rumor that a certain batch of H1s were supposed to be from "military over-runs" that were not needed because the U.S. is pulling out of Iraq

Ronin64
01-06-12, 21:32

Hmm, I did, and I wasn't even super spec ops high speed operator.

Failure2Stop
01-06-12, 23:40

I've seen me use it.
There are times that it makes a lot of sense.

Eurodriver
01-07-12, 04:37
Thank you for the answers. I'd heard a rumor that a certain batch of H1s were supposed to be from "military over-runs" that were not needed because the U.S. is pulling out of Iraq

The only thing that will be military overrun from us leaving Iraq is ammunition.

mkmckinley
01-07-12, 07:10
I've never seen or heard of a micro of any flavor being issued.

deadlyfire
01-07-12, 08:13
on topic: there's a thread on this forum showing soldiers using the T-.1. It was limited issue to a BN wasn't it?

off topic: I can see where it would come in handy,yes. The only people I've seen not opt for the techno dance party of lasers would be snipers.

Robb Jensen
01-07-12, 08:21
Neither are general issue. The T-1 is an approved optic for SOCOM through the SOPMOD "menu". Some units have also made unit purchases, again of T-1's. I have never seen an H-1, most likely due to the lack of NV settings.

Aimpoints don't have "night vision" settings. The brightness settings are the same on a H1 as they are on a T1, same on a C3 as a M3. Some Aimpoints have protective coatings on the lenses which keep certain spectrums of light from reaching any night vision device if used behind said Aimpoint.

jsebens
01-08-12, 18:44
Aimpoints don't have "night vision" settings. The brightness settings are the same on a H1 as they are on a T1, same on a C3 as a M3. Some Aimpoints have protective coatings on the lenses which keep certain spectrums of light from reaching any night vision device if used behind said Aimpoint.

I think you may have misunderstood what he was saying; while there is no setting on a T1 that turns the optic into a night vision device, the T1 does have several brightness settings (as per their website, promotional materials, and manuals) that the H1 does not; simply put, the T1 is designed to be dialed down to a point where it is invisible to the naked eye, but can be used with NVDs. The H1 is not.

I may be misunderstanding Aimpoint's info myself, and I've only owned/used T1s, but from their product pages, the T1 is listed as having 4 NVD-compatible settings (and 8 daylight settings), while the H1 is listed as having 12 daylight settings.

wahoo95
01-08-12, 19:06
I think you may have misunderstood what he was saying; while there is no setting on a T1 that turns the optic into a night vision device, the T1 does have several brightness settings (as per their website, promotional materials, and manuals) that the H1 does not; simply put, the T1 is designed to be dialed down to a point where it is invisible to the naked eye, but can be used with NVDs. The H1 is not.

I may be misunderstanding Aimpoint's info myself, and I've only owned/used T1s, but from their product pages, the T1 is listed as having 4 NVD-compatible settings (and 8 daylight settings), while the H1 is listed as having 12 daylight settings.

What Robb is saying is that though the marketing materials may say one thing the reality is that they are the the same in terms of settings....8+4=12. The difference is that the T-1 has different lens coatings which change the dynamics of how the lower settings are seen through NV.

Singlestack Wonder
01-08-12, 21:06
Deleted.....

Robb Jensen
01-08-12, 22:51
The H1, T1 and R1 all have the same amount of brightness settings.
The T1 has TypeIII hardcoat anodizing is waterproof to 80feet and has protective coatings on its lenses to protect night vision devices.
FWIW for Micro Aimpoints I own 2 T1s, 4 H1s and 1 R1 that's a sample of 7.

Singlestack Wonder
01-09-12, 11:12
The H1, T1 and R1 all have the same amount of brightness settings.
The T1 has TypeIII hardcoat anodizing is waterproof to 80feet and has protective coatings on its lenses to protect night vision devices.
FWIW for Micro Aimpoints I own 2 T1s, 4 H1s and 1 R1 that's a sample of 7.

So the different lens coating on the T1 vastly cuts the amount of light coming thru at the lower setting as to not overwhelm NV devices? Clearly innovative and the coating cost is probably less than having a different set of electronics for the T1 vs. the H1.

Robb Jensen
01-09-12, 13:49
So the different lens coating on the T1 vastly cuts the amount of light coming thru at the lower setting as to not overwhelm NV devices? Clearly innovative and the coating cost is probably less than having a different set of electronics for the T1 vs. the H1.

The coatings block a certain spectrum of light from reaching the NV devises which would harm the night vision. This coating is also what is on the lenses of the M2, M3, M4 and other NV compatible Aimpoints.

With Micro Aimpoints unless you're in almost complete darkness you can't even see the dot until the Aimpoint is on setting 4 or 5.

H1 on the top, T1 on the bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/1f0542cd.jpg