PDA

View Full Version : Sniper / Author Chris Kyle on Opie & Anthony

plaskon
01-07-12, 10:50
Great interview from this past Wednesday. Dude is an instructor at Craft International. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjHWovwix4

Jack-O
01-08-12, 17:40
I'm not an expert at body language, but there are a lot of physical indicators that he is lying about some or all of the ventura incident.

add this to venturas claim that it didnt happen and the bar owner backing ventura and you have a bad thing here.

great way to get some sensational press for a book release tho.

Iraqgunz
01-08-12, 23:09
I don't think Venturas credibility is more than that of Chris Kyle. In any case there is discussion about him over at SOCNET and no one has said anything bad about him. When you have that many confirmed/unconfirmed kills I don't think it's really necessary.

I'm not an expert at body language, but there are a lot of physical indicators that he is lying about some or all of the ventura incident.

add this to venturas claim that it didnt happen and the bar owner backing ventura and you have a bad thing here.

DocHolliday01
01-09-12, 09:21

Jesse Ventura has about as much credibility as a ****ing turd sandwich.

SHIVAN
01-09-12, 09:28
add this to venturas claim that it didnt happen

Jesse Ventura also claims that the CIA, or some element of the US gov't conspired to pull off the 9/11 attacks, and maybe even internally demo'ed the buildings as a part of the attack.

Truther and grade-A assclown.

Jack-O
01-09-12, 09:57
And yet the body language remains... watch the body language. it doesnt lie. He's probably a good guy, but he's being taken out of his element here and is obviously not comfortable telling the story. Touching of the face, eye aversion, lowering of the voice, hat hiding the face... all classic signs of lying (something this guy, to his credit, is not good at). Remember ol billy clinton and his behaviors? same thing.

Ventura is an easy target and it provides an instantly credible story.

If you watch the other interviews where he recites the story, It is almost word for word recitations and he comes off as very uncomfortable telling them.

the guy dont need any fantastic story to have a good story but some hype to elevate your book, timing it with that persons leaving the country, then using a well known, easy to discredit stooge to boot are classic and well proven ways to get publicity and get your name out there.

Sorry, the story is too weak, too well timed, the body language too obvious for this to be anything other than a load of bull.

We live in a world where deception in the media is the norm. If we are unable to spot it when it happens at this point, then we have far larger problems than this silly little distraction. Hell I dont even watch TV anymore and I spotted this crap immediately. I was looking for training from Kyle when I found this.

Iraqgunz
01-09-12, 15:01
Take trip to the Coronado area and maybe you can locate him and tell him yourself.

Like, I (should have) said earlier. He has 5 Bronze Stars, 2 Silver Stars and has smoked plenty of bad guys. I don't think he needs to lie about an altercation with Jesse Ventura.

Ventura is a douche as someone else pointed out. I think I know who I will believe.

And yet the body language remains... watch the body language. it doesnt lie. He's probably a good guy, but he's being taken out of his element here and is obviously not comfortable telling the story. Touching of the face, eye aversion, lowering of the voice, hat hiding the face... all classic signs of lying (something this guy, to his credit, is not good at). Remember ol billy clinton and his behaviors? same thing.

If you watch the other interviews where he recites the story, It is almost word for word recitations and he comes off as very uncomfortable telling them.

the guy dont need any fantastic story to have a good story but some hype to elevate your book, timing it with that persons leaving the country, then using a well known, easy to discredit stooge to boot are classic and well proven ways to get publicity and get your name out there.

Sorry, the story is too weak, too well timed, the body language too obvious for this to be anything other than a load of bull.

We live in a world where deception in the media is the norm. If we are unable to spot it when it happens at this point, then we have far larger problems than this silly little distraction. Hell I dont even watch TV anymore and I spotted this crap immediately. I was looking for training from Kyle when I found this.

d90king
01-09-12, 15:12

Since its a true story, and one that had many witnesses, I guess it completely ****s up your tells to use in your future studies of liars.

I find it amusing that you come on here and call a dude a liar who has done as much for this country as Kyle has and then choose to take the word of a complete ****ing loon like Ventura. Lemme guess... You share some of Venturas views don't ya. I think you need to relearn how to spot a liar.

TriumphRat675
01-09-12, 15:19
And yet the body language remains... watch the body language. it doesnt lie. He's probably a good guy, but he's being taken out of his element here and is obviously not comfortable telling the story.

Body language doesn't lie, but you have to be careful that you aren't misunderstanding what it is telling you.

All of the behaviors you noticed are classic signs of nervousness and insecurity. That's really all you can draw from them. Sometimes in certain circumstances they can indicate deception. Here, he may just be nervous about being on the radio and being videotaped...a very strange experience that can rattle you...even badasses aren't immune from it.

SHIVAN
01-09-12, 15:27

Unless we've got verifiable proof that the Chief is lying, this line of accusation should cease. Unfortunately for Ventura, he has been caught embellishing in the past, as a simple matter of record. So his account is tainted.

Hearsay doesn't quite cut it. We've got he-said, he-said.

Which means we won't be defaming someone who gives a simple story, as a liar.

Thanks for understanding.

comprido
01-09-12, 16:57
Who cares? This shouldn't even be in the training forum anyway. Put it in the general forum and then gossip and speculate until your heart's content.

Jack-O
01-09-12, 18:09
Body language doesn't lie, but you have to be careful that you aren't misunderstanding what it is telling you.

All of the behaviors you noticed are classic signs of nervousness and insecurity. That's really all you can draw from them. Sometimes in certain circumstances they can indicate deception. Here, he may just be nervous about being on the radio and being videotaped...a very strange experience that can rattle you...even badasses aren't immune from it.

These are all true and a decent explanation. I could be wrong, but I'm just calling it like I saw it.

I think it was in poor taste to drag ventura into the whole book thing anyway. Kyle did look uncomfortable bringing it up. i wonder if his publisher put him up to it? he has no need whatsoever to do it and his record does stand on it's own.

Yet there silliness sits.

Jack-O
01-09-12, 18:24
Unless we've got verifiable proof that the Chief is lying, this line of accusation should cease. Unfortunately for Ventura, he has been caught embellishing in the past, as a simple matter of record. So his account is tainted.

Hearsay doesn't quite cut it. We've got he-said, he-said.

Which means we won't be defaming someone who gives a simple story, as a liar.

Thanks for understanding.

gotcha :cool:

Heavy Metal
01-09-12, 18:47
Jesse is the little boy who cried Wolf too many times.

Even if he is telling the truth, how can you tell and is he worthy of that assumption after being caught lying so many times in the past?

I say, he has sewn the wind, let him reap the whirwind.

dirt_diver
01-09-12, 19:33
Couldn't it be he was not so comfortable letting the cat out the bag re him knocking the block off of a loudmouth old timer?

az doug
01-10-12, 01:01

Also you must "norm" a person before reading/interpreting their body language. The video does not afford you the opportunity to do so. The interpretation of body language is merely a tool for an investigator to use during an interview to determine if they are going to interrogate... It is not 100 percent reliable and there is a reason it is not admissible in court. Just imagine, Yes your honor, I know he is guilty because he kept touching the bridge of his nose when I asked about the crime, or he made asymmetrical facial expressions, or sat in the runner's stance, or she held her purse tightly against her chest...

Body language is a tool, a valuable one, but it must be used correctly. When interpreting body language jeopardy should be attached and the person being interviewed should be aware of it. The greater the jeopardy the more pronounced the body language.

Iraq Ninja
01-10-12, 11:55
I am sitting here with a coworker who was with Kyle in 2003 and knows him well. He has no reason to suspect it Kyle is not telling the truth.

This may be just a sensitive issue with Kyle, since it is a SEAL talking badly about another SEAL. The SEAL community is a very tight brotherhood. There are other interviews with Kyle in which he doesn't show the "body language" that some find suspect here.

I am reading his book but haven't reached this part of it. From what I have heard, he doesn't mention him by name. The book is good, but appears to be heavily edited in terms of mission details, as can be expected. Chris makes the point over and over that he wasn't the greatest sniper, but rather was lucky to have more opportunities than most, and lived through it.

Atchcraft
01-10-12, 12:10
Couldn't it be he was not so comfortable letting the cat out the bag re him knocking the block off of a loudmouth old timer?

This is exactlly what I was thinking. Body language is a great tool, but not an exact science and with all things considered you pick that to lie about? I don't think so. I would have paid $ to see him smack Ventura in the puss and I'm buying his book!

nineteenkilo
01-10-12, 13:30
I am prior service and, as you may have guessed, my very first MOS was 19K. As a result, I do not take any pride in trash talking a fellow service member from ANY branch.

I got to know quite a few SEALS as they came through EOD training back in the day and, without exception, I would have trusted my life to them. They were intelligent, professional, polite, and they had their shit wired tight.

Jesse doesn't seem to be any of those things. Maybe it's just age or his tinfoil hat is a bit too tight these days, but if he came into a wake for one of my friends/comrades and started talking a bunch of shit - well, I'd of dropped him as well.

If it happened the way Chris says it did, then I say good job!

Moose-Knuckle
01-11-12, 19:27
Reminds me of Michael Walsh's view on Richard Marcinko. Even in a tight knit world like the SEAL community there are discrepancies among its ranks.

Spooky130
01-12-12, 13:41
I am sitting here with a coworker who was with Kyle in 2003 and knows him well. He has no reason to suspect it Kyle is not telling the truth.

This may be just a sensitive issue with Kyle, since it is a SEAL talking badly about another SEAL. The SEAL community is a very tight brotherhood. There are other interviews with Kyle in which he doesn't show the "body language" that some find suspect here.

I am reading his book but haven't reached this part of it. From what I have heard, he doesn't mention him by name. The book is good, but appears to be heavily edited in terms of mission details, as can be expected. Chris makes the point over and over that he wasn't the greatest sniper, but rather was lucky to have more opportunities than most, and lived through it.

He mentions the incident in the book but not the name of the individual.

The book is excellent. He is very low key in it and didn't seem to seek the fame that will come from it. His views are interesting - and most here would have very similar views. His wife added an unusual viewpoint that many never consider in a book like this.

I wonder if his company will branch in to civilian training? Launching a book like this could be a great way to create extra business...

Spooky

J-Dub
01-12-12, 15:11
For Mr. Kyle's sake i really really hope he isnt making it up. He is accusing Ventura of saying some pretty messed up things.

Its he said/he said. Wonder where all the witnesses are?

Spooky130
01-12-12, 16:25
Its he said/he said. Wonder where all the witnesses are?

Probably shooting smelly bearded men in the face...

J-Dub
01-12-12, 16:50
Probably shooting smelly bearded men in the face...

So even the people that work at the bar are SEALS? Damn.

Reagans Rascals
01-12-12, 18:11
His body language didn't say anything, and its fallacious for anyone to even begin to say that they "read him" and they can tell he's lying, this isn't ****in Lie to Me ok Dr. Lightman?

The only thing his body language gave away was that he was embarrassed, and possibly ashamed by the ordeal which is why he made no attempts to embellish it by saying oh yeah I knocked that ****er out.

He kept his answers short, to the point, did not embellish or attempt to add luster to anything he stated. In fact, when asked about what happened after he punched him, he even stated no in fact he was not knocked out, he fell down and that was it. If he was lying he would have said I knocked that ****er out, he was down, out cold and drooling.

The man has earned respect more than a few times over, Jesse Janos hasn't earned anything besides an adult diaper.

CarlosDJackal
01-13-12, 08:21

I'm listening to his book on audio now ("American Sniper"). And based on his background and upbringing (as written in his book), I would garner to bet that he is very nervous about being interviewed, period.

Like what has already been posted; while I find the incident a bit too "Hollywoodish". I cannot say for a fact whether it happened or not.

So based on my perspective I can only differentiate between the two individuals based on what I have read and seen about them. As I see it the criteria is as follows:

One is a guy who killed a lot of bad guys and who by his own words (as written in his book) gives full credit for his successes to his Father, his former Boss (a Ranch owner), the various Instructors he had come across, fellow SEALs who mentored him and the support personnel that provided him with security during his Sniper missions.

Another is a glory hound who claims to be a SEAL (but records show that he was a UDT Frogman who was attached to a SEAL Team but was never awarded the SEAL rating), is convinced that the government planned 9/11/2001, has a TV "reality" show about conspiracy theories and has not given up on trying to get back into the limelight.

I'm sorry, but if I had to cast a vote knowing what I know about both of these guys. Chris Kyle is heads and shoulders above Jesse Ventura when it comes to integrity. IMHO, Jesse has fallen off the deep end and wears a full-blown tinfoil head dress!! JM2CW.

SHIVAN
01-13-12, 12:25
I'd love to see the content of the book, or the Chief's life, discussed.

Even if he didn't punch out Jesse Ventura, which again I tend to believe he might/could have, who gives a shit? It's Jesse Ventura, the truther who believes we demo'ed building 7 from the inside, using CIA, or other operatives. I'd like to believe he got decked, so I will believe it. :p

Let's move on from that miniscule nugget. This thread is turning in to noise.

Ned Christiansen
01-13-12, 19:40
I just started the book yesterday.

I've seen Chris Kyle speak, and as I recall, he even mentioned it: he ain't a speaker. Of the many things he's good at, he's still like most other people in this aspect: he's not comfortable speaking publicly and I'm sure that extends to being on camera.

Honu
01-13-12, 20:17
Ventura is a frigin tool !

Saw Oreilly show tonight
Oreilly investigated and found two witness that said Kyle knocked him (Ventura) down !

On Oreilly Kyle said he knocked him down not knocked him out :)

sounds honest I think if he was posturing he would have said he knocked him out :)

Dirk Williams
01-13-12, 21:52
Don't have an oppinion. Iif he didn't bitch slap Jesse V, he should have!.

Anyway Chris's book is outstanding, worth reading if you have the oppertunity.

Dirk