PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for cycling

orionz06
01-07-12, 10:51
I am about ready to buy another lower cost Kelty (MAP3500 or a Redwing) or a Mountain Hardwear Splitter 38 but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I am missing. The primary purpose will be for commuting to work by bicycle. The bag I use now is a Chrome messenger bag that is not capable of conveniently carrying the weight and staying in place on my back. I am thinking a larger backpack that is not full will allow me to keep the weight low on my body and two straps will keep it from shifting.

What the pack needs to be is ~50L, durable, multiple compartments (not sure there are any that won't meet this), and must have a removable belt pad. The belts just don't work for what I need it to do. The obvious solution is panniers but the bikes I have won't all take them and I really don't like them, I prefer the weight on my back for this specific role. It does not need to be "tactical", "dynamic", or extra black ops included, but a means to attach a light on the back never hurts.

I have tried the Maxpedition Condor-II and Monsoon and neither worked as I wished.

CLHC
01-08-12, 00:18
How about a Light Bright Swig Backpack (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/lightbright-swig-backpack) from Timbuk2? Anyways, hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

orionz06
01-08-12, 00:27
I have looked at those and similar ones from other companies and they don't have the volume and normally aren't comfortable. I think really just any pack with a removable waist belt/pad should work.

CLHC
01-08-12, 00:31
Okay. . .Have you looked at Deuter?

dave5339
01-08-12, 09:13
A 50L pack? That's up around the Camebak BFM range. I'm curious what you are carrying and for what distance.

I've bike commuted in the past and will probably be doing so again but I never carried that much stuff.

Do you have the ability to stage gear at your worksite? I used to ride Zippy the Wonder Pig, (touring bike with a rack and panniers) on Monday & Friday. Monday I took my work clothes in, Friday I brought them home. The other days I road my "go fast" bike and carried my lunch in a Camelbak.

Were I going to be carrying that much gear for any distance, I'd suggest building up a purpose built commuter bike with racks and panniers to handle the gear. Save your "go fast" bike for your training rides.

Semper Fi

d90king
01-09-12, 05:31
Have you checked out any of the North Face packs? I've used my Surge numerous times biking. Has a belt, great straps and is very comfortable and durable. I've been using mine for probably 5 years +.... Not very tacticool but it works and works well.

orionz06
01-09-12, 07:05
Okay. . .Have you looked at Deuter?
A bit but their packs seem to have a bit of mass above the shoulders that would hit my head in the riding position.

A 50L pack? That's up around the Camebak BFM range. I'm curious what you are carrying and for what distance.

I've bike commuted in the past and will probably be doing so again but I never carried that much stuff.

Do you have the ability to stage gear at your worksite? I used to ride Zippy the Wonder Pig, (touring bike with a rack and panniers) on Monday & Friday. Monday I took my work clothes in, Friday I brought them home. The other days I road my "go fast" bike and carried my lunch in a Camelbak.

Were I going to be carrying that much gear for any distance, I'd suggest building up a purpose built commuter bike with racks and panniers to handle the gear. Save your "go fast" bike for your training rides.

Semper Fi
Work clothes, lunch, and a few odds and ends. I can fit it all in a Chrome messenger bag but the bag shifts too much and I feel like I was better before with an old cheap Kelty that had no structure in the back of the pack. I think a pack with even an HDPE sheet might be much improved but the waistbelt issue prevents me from getting a few different packs.

The option exists to store a bunch of stuff at work but I am not sure I wanna have a closet full of clothes. Currently the go-fast bike and a mountain bike are used to travel ~9 miles. I have little issues with a backpack for the distance I ride and the rate I ride it. If it took me more than 30 minutes I might consider a more purpose built bike but to be 100% honest I just don't like them.

Have you checked out any of the North Face packs? I've used my Surge numerous times biking. Has a belt, great straps and is very comfortable and durable. I've been using mine for probably 5 years +.... Not very tacticool but it works and works well.
Looking now. I work a block away from an REI and checked them out before but their capacity seemed limiting.

kartoffel
01-09-12, 09:15
The primary purpose will be for commuting to work by bicycle.
What the pack needs to be is ~50L, durable,
The obvious solution is panniers.

You already know the solution. Don't ride with 50 liters on your back. If you have to haul more than what'll fit in a fanny pack or small messenger bag, haul it on the bike.

Actually, this begs the question: why do you need to carry 50 freaking liters worth of stuff for a daily commute?

orionz06
01-09-12, 09:19
I am not, I want the contents to sit lower on my back like the messenger bag. This seems to be best accomplished with a slightly larger pack not filled to capacity. I was unhappy with a smaller pack like the two I listed.

ETA: And I am well aware that I am looking for the less than ideal solution but it was the closest one that works and one that I do not dislike.

militarymoron
01-09-12, 10:40
not 50L, but take a look at the arcteryx blade series - great organization and good commuter packs. i use a blade 21, and i think you can get away with a 30. it doesn't sit that high.
http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Blade-30#

NinjaTactics
01-10-12, 04:51
Also not 50L, but this is the best backpack I have used in the past 10 years (and I've tried quite a few for EDC/BOB/GHB/Biking/Hiking/Camping/etc.):
http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/bike-packs/guys/apex

The DaKine Apex 26L is pretty savage. I can fit a small laptop in the main compartment with an additional change of clothes, and in the smaller front compartment can keep toiletries, Glock, spare mags, food, etc. It also has a built in (but removable) 100oz / 3L water reservoir with "Quick Disconnect hose" (which makes is pretty easy to clean and dry), so you can stay hydrated. There are also a bunch of smaller pockets and a nice removable waist belt as well, so it's definitely feature packed, lightweight, and just generally awesome for multipurpose use (including regular long biking or hiking trips). If I see these go on sale again at some random Internet retailers I'm going to pick a couple more of them up in black (I think the last one cost me about $95 shipped in 2010).

Good luck with your search.

hiro
01-10-12, 09:49
It's hard to find a good quality ruck of that volume with a removeable waist/hip belt. With that in mind (I'm not ignoring your criteria for the sake of being annoying) have a look at the Osprey Talon 44.

Whenever I ride with a messenger style bag (which isn't often these days as I prefer to bear the weight on two shoulders and I can't stand the idea of a commuting bike with a rack and panniers either) I use a Timbuk2 or Push the Envelope bag. Timbuks have a secondary stabilising strap that I've always found kept the bag solid. I believe the recommended way to wear the bag is high on your back with the main strap kept as short as possible but if you prefer the bag lower the secondary strap might not keep it in place as well. Push bags are made in Toronto but I don't know if they have distribution in the US. They have a great strap system with a 3 way buckle worn close to the solar plexus with all three straps having length adjustment. Have a look here http://www.pushtheenvelope.com/

tb-av
01-11-12, 21:14
The MaxPed Ssitka has lots of compartments and it also affords the ability to attach more as needed.

for instance the Monkey Admin or similar can be attached to lower right on that strap panel. then on the front you can attach all manner of other pouches. Like a 6x9 or padded cases.

The downside of a single stap system can be overcome easily. Just get a couple of caribs some straps and padding and make a short strap. That along with the main padded stap and the little built-in strap that comes around your waist will form an X that basically centers on your sternum. The add-on strap will attach to center carry handle and tie down strap. Other end will attach to pals web on main strap.

You should be able to situate it so that it hangs down low like you want it. There's room for a hydro bladder as well.

But the bottom line is you choose your add ons to fit what you need. There are tons of specific sized pouches available and all can be clipped, pals'd, or c-ben'd on and you can control where the weight goes.

orionz06
03-07-12, 07:51
Sorry for the thread necro but I ended up getting a Kelty Strike 2300. It is most similar to the pack that worked well before and has a few more features that were desirable. Got it for $63 at Botach, that sort of was the go signal.

It does carry the weight low, it is stable on my back, and the build quality of the military/tactical series appears to match that of my old Red Tail and exceed that of the Kelty packs available at REI and other such stores. If that is the case I see no reason this won't last 6 years like the last one did.

Thanks for all the input and PM's.