PDA

View Full Version : Which new Colt is FA?

Smokecloud
01-07-12, 12:02
Looking at LE model FA M4, not sure which one is it. I currently run a Colt M4, 14.5" bbl, FA, but its old enough that its not marked LE (maybe 10yrs old). Im not sure what model (6933, etc) it is, because its not marked anywhere on the gun and im sure the model number has changed over the years.

JChops
01-07-12, 14:00
The model number for the Colt M4 is RO921. That is the safe-semi-auto, 14.5" bbl gov't M4. (Note that this is a post-sample MG.)

The semi auto version of this is the Colt LE6921. It is exactly the same but safe-semi only.

cmoore
01-07-12, 14:41
R0921 or R0977?

Smokecloud
01-07-12, 15:08
guess I needed to visit the Colt webpage. the 933 and the 977, one is the Commando M4, with 11.5" barrel, the other is 14.5" barrel. any idea on price and who sells them?

cmoore
01-07-12, 20:29
Try Ken Elmore @ Specialized Armament (www.sawlesales.com) in Chandler, Az. If you're strictly Colt, he's the man. Very knowledgeable about Colt history as well.

Unknown about current pricing. We have R0977's (14.5") at my office.

Best regards,

Chris

Smokecloud
01-08-12, 10:37
Ken Elmore sounds familiar, is he the Colt Armorer that puts on classes all over the place? Anyhow, we are going to purchase a few guns in a couple of months, probably only one more FA, but a few more Semi's, i'm just trying to get educated for the day when its ordering time.

How do i get access into the LEO Forum, I have sent a message to admin, but no reply and still no access.

scottryan
01-08-12, 18:42
The model number for the Colt M4 is RO921. That is the safe-semi-auto, 14.5" bbl gov't M4. (Note that this is a post-sample MG.)

The semi auto version of this is the Colt LE6921. It is exactly the same but safe-semi only.

The model numbers for commerial / export Colt select fire guns with 14.5" barrels are 977 or 979

A 921 is a USGI M4A1.

A 920 is a USGI M4

scottryan
01-08-12, 18:44
Looking at LE model FA M4, not sure which one is it. I currently run a Colt M4, 14.5" bbl, FA, but its old enough that its not marked LE (maybe 10yrs old). Im not sure what model (6933, etc) it is, because its not marked anywhere on the gun and im sure the model number has changed over the years.

Any Colt model number that has 4 digits is semi auto only.

Any Colt model number that has 3 digits is select fire.

rcpd34
01-08-12, 18:47
I'm a LEO and SOT. I'd be glad to help you guys out. We have seen a migration in this area from Colt to LWRC; both FA and semi.

Smokecloud
01-09-12, 10:13
Thanks guys for the replies. I have no experience with LWRC. I guess I need to learn more about what someone with their SOT license can do. We recently hired a guy that has his, I thought it was to manufacture some sample stuff, I didnt want to turn our bushamasters FA, which is the majority of our patrol setup. We only have two Colt's, it was a money thing in more ways than one and a long story. We had two M4's, for two swat positions, we eliminated one position and as RangeMaster, I was able to trade out, Im also the only guy in our dept with any personal class III stuff. I consider myself lucky right now, but am working towards getting a 3rd M4 in the event we recover the swat position, because my gun goes back to that. When we purchased the M4's years ago, they were about $1400 if memory serves correct. So justifying to the brass how much more a new one will be, over a $700 bushy is going to be a small battle. Right now, my current battle is the price diff for upgrading to Colt and "whats wrong with the Bushmasters" stuff. I missed a sale in Salem on 6920's a few months ago, they were under 900, but we didnt have the funding. I have to work on either selling or trading our former patrol rifles and a small stock of forfeited guns for new rifles for the troops.

markm
01-09-12, 10:39
I'm a LEO and SOT. I'd be glad to help you guys out. We have seen a migration in this area from Colt to LWRC; both FA and semi.

WHO HUH WHAT????

Who is going from Colt to the over priced crap that LWRC produces????

I have no experience with LWRC.

If you're smart, you'll KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!

rcpd34
01-09-12, 11:57
WHO HUH WHAT????

Who is going from Colt to the over priced crap that LWRC produces????

If you're smart, you'll KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!

I was simply stating a fact. Opinions are like a$$es; everyone has one. And some don't necesarily like being told they're smart or otherwise for agreeing or disagreeing with yours. I, for one, don't think LWRC is crap. They are expensive. Personally, I carry a Colt M4 daily for duty use and am happy with it.
Is there a problem with the Bushy's you have? You can easily freshen them up if needed and convert them to SBR's and or select fire at the same time. Just saying it's an option.

scottryan
01-09-12, 12:12
I was simply stating a fact. Opinions are like a$$es; everyone has one. And some don't necesarily like being told they're smart or otherwise for agreeing or disagreeing with yours. I, for one, don't think LWRC is crap. They are expensive. Personally, I carry a Colt M4 daily for duty use and am happy with it.
Is there a problem with the Bushy's you have? You can easily freshen them up if needed and convert them to SBR's and or select fire at the same time. Just saying it's an option.

The choice of what an LE department uses is not necessarily based on what is the best weapon.

markm
01-09-12, 12:19
The choice of what an LE department uses is not necessarily based on what is the best weapon.

Man... has that been proven time and time again.

But usually it's a Bushmaster or DPMS scenario. AZ highway patrol did a weird thing and looked at the total cost of guns including maintence/repair....

And lo and behold, they found COLT to be their lowest cost patrol rifle. :eek:

Smokecloud
01-09-12, 12:22
We had Mini-14's, old ones that were breaking on a regular basis. Finally, after years and years, got the brass to allow AR's. We scored a grant that acquired us the Bushmasters, not my first choice, but in 3 years, we have had zero issues with them. We dont have enough currently to outfit the entire dept though and I have suggested if, when we have the funds, to purchase Colts as we can afford them. If for no other reason, then 15 years down the road, resale value would hopefully be higher when we trade in those. I have friends in another agency that currently have Olympic Arms from the 80's, most have over 40k rds through them and are still on the streets. they look sad, but it is what it is. Sometimes money means everything to a department, especially if you have non gun guys for brass.

rcpd34
01-09-12, 13:02

I think this is true more often than not.

We had Mini-14's, old ones that were breaking on a regular basis. Finally, after years and years, got the brass to allow AR's. We scored a grant that acquired us the Bushmasters, not my first choice, but in 3 years, we have had zero issues with them. We dont have enough currently to outfit the entire dept though and I have suggested if, when we have the funds, to purchase Colts as we can afford them. If for no other reason, then 15 years down the road, resale value would hopefully be higher when we trade in those. I have friends in another agency that currently have Olympic Arms from the 80's, most have over 40k rds through them and are still on the streets. they look sad, but it is what it is. Sometimes money means everything to a department, especially if you have non gun guys for brass.

Our agency only owns about a dozen rifles. Those that aren't issued one may purchase their own from an approved list. If that dept you speak of has select fire AR's that are pre-'86, they could probably get all new guns for everyone in trade and still pocket extra cash.

Smokecloud
01-09-12, 13:58
all semi-auto, I inquired years ago:)