PDA

View Full Version : Does cylinder chamfering make a big difference?

GrandPooba
01-07-12, 12:10
I've been doing a lot of drills recently with my 642 working on speed strip and loose round reloads. Does cylinder chamfering make a big difference in the ease of reloading?

would like to get some opinions before doing this work.

Dienekes
01-07-12, 14:45
"Some". I've done it on a lot of duty guns where the prospect of a quick reload with a speed loader on duty was somewhat likely, and where qualifications required practicing it. I've done a few J frames but "quick reloads" with a J frame IMHO are best done with a second gun. Not trying to be a wise guy, I just don't think it's what a J frame is best suited for. I just don't think anything do is ever going to make that operation go as well as speed reloading a Model 19 Smith. Maybe Jerry Mikulek can do it...

That said, no reason NOT to do it, especially if the chamber mouths are sharp and tend to hang up the new rounds. I break the edge a little and call it good. Those edges on my 442 are not that sharp, and I've never chamfered them. As a matter of fact, I've never even had the sideplate off the gun. It came GTG and in 15 plus years I just shoot it and clean it.

Mr. Smith
01-07-12, 21:49
I think you will like it I do it to all the j-frame guns it helps on extraction more than you might think.
In many guns I fined you get more on both side of the proses.

Hizzie
01-08-12, 03:16
IME it does. I would suggest SL Variant speedloaders as the fastest/most secure I've used. When I was well practiced and strapping a 681 as my primary I could reload as fast or faster than the average guy on my Dept. If you do not have The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette you should get it.

Good stuff here: http://snubtraining.com/

blasternank
01-08-12, 12:12
I have all mine chamfered. I think it makes a good deal of difference.

DocH
01-11-12, 15:05
I think there's a noticeable difference with chamferred chambers.I always did it to all my duty revolvers and recently did to a Mod.10-5 snub that my wife wanted to start using. Really works well with the secure speedloaders that hold the rounds tight like the Jet Loaders or the Safariland loaders.
Spring loaded, shoots the rounds right in with no hang ups.

01-13-12, 11:52
I have had chamfering done to my revolvers and I believe it to be worthwhile touch. It is my opinion that the chamfering should not be done to the extractor star to lessen the risk of case heads jumping the star.