PDA

View Full Version : BUG's and Vest Holsters

Beat Trash
01-07-12, 14:41
My agency is finally about to authorize back up guns.

Uniform officers will be required to use a vest holster (no type specificed).

There are a few authorized guns to chose from. I won't mention the 380 choices as I don't like the caliber. I can chose a J-frame S&W, a M&P9c, a Ruger LC9 (issued duty gun is a M&P9).

I already own a S&W 642 and a M&P9c. The M&P9c would make seem like the logical choice, but it's a chunky and heavy gun to be supported by the elastic straps of a vest.

Does anyone have any experience carrying an M&P compact on their vest? I'm concerned about the weight and the thickness of the gun. I also own a Walther PPS 9mm, but unfortunately it's not authorized.

Should I just go with the 642 instead? I like the 642, but although I can shoot it ok, I can shoot the 9mm better. I also prefer the semi auto for reloading. Speed strips for reloading the 5 shot revolver under stress doesn't instill confidence.

Is anyone using the Ruger LC9 as a BUG? I was trying to avoid buying another gun, but...

Thanks.

Abraxas
01-07-12, 15:02
My agency is finally about to authorize back up guns.

Uniform officers will be required to use a vest holster (no type specificed).

There are a few authorized guns to chose from. I won't mention the 380 choices as I don't like the caliber. I can chose a J-frame S&W, a M&P9c, a Ruger LC9 (issued duty gun is a M&P9).

I already own a S&W 642 and a M&P9c. The M&P9c would make seem like the logical choice, but it's a chunky and heavy gun to be supported by the elastic straps of a vest.

Does anyone have any experience carrying an M&P compact on their vest? I'm concerned about the weight and the thickness of the gun. I also own a Walther PPS 9mm, but unfortunately it's not authorized.

Should I just go with the 642 instead? I like the 642, but although I can shoot it ok, I can shoot the 9mm better. I also prefer the semi auto for reloading. Speed strips for reloading the 5 shot revolver under stress doesn't instill confidence.

Is anyone using the Ruger LC9 as a BUG? I was trying to avoid buying another gun, but...

Thanks. So, you dept will authorize the LC9 but not a PPS? Who made that dorked decision? I often question the arbitrary reasoning departments use.
I cannot comment on a vest holster since I have never carried my backup that way, but I would go with the M&P compact.

RD62
01-07-12, 15:45
I too vote for the M&P compact.

I carried a Glock 22 and 27 on duty for years as a primary and BUG combo. I appreciated the commonality of ergonomics, operation and magazines. Under stress it felt and operates the same, aimed and recoiled the same (or close enough), and reloaded with the same technique and magazines. The mag commonality was also nice in that I didn't have to carry a separate reload fir the BUG. The automatic BUG also had at least 2x the capacity of a revolver.

I have an appreciation for a nice wheel gun and while I'd like to pick up a j-frame, when I compared them side by side the dimensions were very similar. Close enough that it made it even harder to justify over the Glock.

I think these points are just as valid for the M&P.

I have no experience with vest carry so I will reserve comment on that topic.

SmokeJumper
01-07-12, 16:48
I settled on the S&W 442 with CTC grips and speed strip for a reload. I carry a .45 on duty but found for pocket or ankle carry the j-frame worked very well for. The size is good and for weight, it ways nothing. Sure it only has 5 shots, but its gonna go bang when it needs to as will my auto loaders that I can/have carried as BUGS.
I can not comment on the vest carry as I did not care for it and did not like the added bulge on my vest inside my shirt. One of my coworkers carries a Glock 19 cut down to Glock 26 grips size on his vest everyday, so a large or small auto on a vest is doable. I say try them both a few times and experiment a little with carrying each one, then make your decision on which to carry after trying out both. Good Luck and always carry a BUG

GJM
01-07-12, 17:15
By chance, I handled a Ruger LC9 and the PPS today -- felt like the difference between a Kel Tec and HK.

sierra 223
01-07-12, 18:04
I would use the M&P since that is what you carry for primary. If you think that is too big or heavy go with J frame. I have carried a Glock 19 on my vest as backup and there is a little bit of bulge to it. A lot depends on how big you ,or how your shirts fit. It works for me and no one notices the bulge. Vest carry is kinda slow to get to, but still my favorite way to carry bakup.

ST911
01-07-12, 18:27
I don't care for vest carry, but it is workable. Recommend that you practice accessing and presenting it a great deal. Depending on specific holster and strap placement, you may not have ambidextrous access to it. Your shirt will develop wear spots and may not last as long or need reinforcement or repair, depending on the material. If you have zippers, ditch them and use either buttons or velcro patches for rapid access.

Thickness of the gun may or may not matter, depending on how finely tailored your uniform is. It may be very visible, or not at all. The thicker the gun, the more inclined you'll be to move it toward the outside of the vest, reducing accessibility for one side and virtually eliminating it for the other, in favor of concealment. Weight is not an issue, but the straps of your vest may need replacement or reinforcement to avoid premature wear, and to ensure the holster stays in place. Not all vest straps are created equal, and most suck.

Lighter, thinner guns like the 642 will mitigate but not eliminate issues.

I would not consider an LC-anything as a primary BUG. Maybe a 3rd or 4th gun, but not a 2nd.

Best formula: Velcro access, reinforced material patch (if shirt construction allows), carried as close to midline as possible. You choose the gun.

Beat Trash
01-07-12, 18:56
Thanks for the replies. I've been with my agency for over 19 years. Shy of 1,100 officers and we're just getting BUGs authorized (due to new chief).

I'm about 5'11 and 175lbs. Midline carry makes sense so as to access with either hand, but I'm thinking would print too much. I'm entertaining placing holster on weak side so as to access with weak hand in case dominant hand injured.

Vest carry is only option currently. Took a lot just to get the BUG's approved, so I'll have to make do with this method for now.

For those who have utilized a vest holster, any recommendations as to the holster?

I haven't shot the Ruger LC9, only dry fired one. I'm not sure if I could live with the trigger's "fake reset".

I've got a couple of weeks at least before the program gets up n running so that I could qualify. If I can get an exception for the PPS, I'd probably use that.

rathos
01-07-12, 19:07
If I had to use a vest holster I would go with a j-frame. Anything else on a vest holster looks like a have a huge cancerous tumor. If you can pull it off the M&P 9c would be a better choice as others have stated, it is just a big gun for vest carry.

ST911
01-07-12, 20:38
For those who have utilized a vest holster, any recommendations as to the holster?

The Uncle Mikes is the default holster for most folks. You run the straps through a strap on the holster body. It can slide around quite a bit unless you tighten your straps, which stretches them, which weakens them, which accelerates wear, which... You get it.

I liked vest carry best when I had a gun-shaped pocket sewn onto the vest carrier. Sew a strap over the top for retention.

tpd223
01-07-12, 21:53
We have several guy on my job carrying Glock 26s or 19 in one of these;

http://bugpocket.com/

Evan_O
01-08-12, 02:57
I use a Mika's pocket holster. He makes one for the vest or pocket and I prefer the vest option. With the use of the strap and the velcro he applies to the holster it is very stable on the vest. The last one I purchased from him, about six years ago, is for a Glock 26 and I still use it everyday. Do a google search on "Mika's pocket holster" and it should pull up his site. He's great to work with and product is top notch IMO.

Ptrlcop
01-08-12, 05:09
I carry a G27 in a uncle mikes on my strong side for a weak hand draw. When I first started I carried for a strong hand draw. Then I had a guy try to disarm me and my strong hand was busy keeping my primary retained. My vest has two straps as opposed to one big one. They are a little worn out now, but that is after 5 years of carry on my vest. If you have a carrier with removable straps I believe tactical tailor makes some heavier duty straps.

I'm about 510 160 and nobody ever notices it on me. I tried using a 5.11 holster that velcroed to the vest. But it stuck out pretty bad.

CoryCop25
01-08-12, 05:43
I carried an M&P 40c in an Uncle Mike's vest holster on my body armor for about a year. It was very comfortable and it did not make the elastic straps weaken. I wear an ABA extreme IIIA vest and the holster is under my left arm.

dp509
01-08-12, 09:02
We have several guy on my job carrying Glock 26s or 19 in one of these;

http://bugpocket.com/

Hi, for the officers carrying the 19, would the 19 fit in the small version?

Did it look normal, or did they look like they were about to have a baby :sarcastic:.

Could you post pictures of officers wearing it in uniform.

Thanks

kmrtnsn
01-08-12, 11:56
Under the shirt, vest carry is all about concealment. This method works great if you have had your uniform shirts converted from buttons to Velcro. This carry method was developed around the the J Frame wheel-gun but works well too with the new crop of .380 bugs. A G26, G27, or M&Pc is really pushing what is concealable under a uniform shirt without excessive printing and weight on the Velcro carry system. When a 340PD is carried this way you don't even know it is there. You'll definitely know that a M&Pc is there, for sure.

El Vaquero
01-08-12, 19:58
I carried a J-frame in a vest holster underneath my right arm, cross draw for my left hand (I'm right handed).

I did this in the event that my right hand ever became incapacitated I would still be able to access a gun with my offhand rather quickly (yes, in a perfect world we would all be able to access our main pistol from the holster with our offhand) but it's difficult for me, and I'm only slightly overweight.

If you are also fighting on the ground with someone and you are covering up your main pistol with your strong hand you can always access your BUG with your offhand and shoot him. Plus if its a hammerless revolver you can fire with the gun still underneath your shirt without having to worry about the slide getting caught in your shirt.

For me it came down to what my intended use is for. A BUG for me, is not intended to be used to take shots at over 25 yds nor would it need to be high capacity. For me, it is rather a "get off me" gun to be used up close. A 38spl +p round (especially in gold dot form) is a very nice round.

Officers often don't think about what they would do if their primary hand gets incapacitated. Many don't practice drawing with their offhand. Most large holster manufacturers design their holsters so they can be drawn offhand if one is physically able to do so.

I never had any problems with my uniforms having a "wear" spot or printing. I had an airweight model so the weight wasn't even noticeable. And unless you are hyper-diligent about cleaning your guns, a revolver is going to be more reliable when it comes to lint, sweat and other stuff gumming it up.

Beat Trash
01-08-12, 23:13
Thanks all.

I agree with the logic of being able to access the back up gun with the weak hand for the reasons already stated.

I'm going to get an Uncle Mike's holster and try the M&P9c around the house a bit. If it prints too much, then I'll go with the 642.

Thanks all and stay safe.

Beat Trash

PD Sgt.
01-08-12, 23:50
Under the shirt, vest carry is all about concealment. This method works great if you have had your uniform shirts converted from buttons to Velcro. This carry method was developed around the the J Frame wheel-gun but works well too with the new crop of .380 bugs. A G26, G27, or M&Pc is really pushing what is concealable under a uniform shirt without excessive printing and weight on the Velcro carry system. When a 340PD is carried this way you don't even know it is there. You'll definitely know that a M&Pc is there, for sure.

I agree, and carry a lightweight J frame on my vest with no trouble concealing the weapon, and I do not notice the additional weight or bulk.

Not to stray too far, but I only recommend vest carry of a BUG anymore. What you lose in speed you gain in retention. Holsters on your ankle or tucked in a waistband are too hard to defend, especially if you are on the ground and have multiple attackers/subjects.

I use an Uncle Mikes holster, but use a narrower short strap (such as used over the shoulders of the vest) to secure the holster, attaching to the front and rear panel, with the weapon sitting at about 2:30. I then use one of the single, wide side straps to go over the holster/weapon (with the grip exposed) and connect front and back panels. This helps retain the firearm closer to the vest, and minimizes sagging or shifting of the weapon. It does not impede the draw, but can make reholstering a little harder.

ack495
01-09-12, 03:17
I use the uncles mikes best holster too. Have it on right now. Simple but works well. My BUG is a Kahr MK40 covert. Heavy little sucker but love it. Weigh is not an issue with this setup. We carry glock 22's, some guys vest carry the 27. Bulkier than my kahr, but similar to the m&p9c so it can be done with relative ease. Depends on your frame too. These guys aren't too thin, so you really don't notice.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

BobM
01-10-12, 19:40
I've carried the M&P40c on my vest for several years. It does print more than the 642 and SP101 I used to use but not really that bad. The weight doesn't seem to be an issue.