PDA

View Full Version : Children And Firearms...Yes There Really Are Problems...

SteyrAUG
01-07-12, 16:18
I know most of you will stick your fingers in your ears and scream "La, la, la, la..." but the fact is problems do exist when it comes to guns and children.

I KNOW. I WAS A CHILD WITH GUNS.

For example.

I got my first gun, a German Luger in the 4th grade. Because I didn't know any better (just a kid) I used to shoot range reloads (lead even I think) through it. I just didn't know. Fortunately nothing bad happened to the Luger.....but it could have.

I got a Ruger .357 security six for Christmas after that. The .357 rounds were very loud and the recoil intimidated me. To make matters worse I felt inadequate shooting .38s in it and this somewhat harmed my self esteem.

I got my first vintage Colt 1911, I was about 11. That slide was really hard for me to pull and sometimes I'd hurt my hand. Sometimes I'd hurt my thumb loading magazines. I just don't think the 1911 was made for kids.

I got a G98 Mauser rifle when I was 12. I wasn't ready for it and the recoil "almost " made me fall over. I hurt my shoulder too.

I got an RPB Mac 11 Open Bolt when I was 13. I cut my finger on the sharp edge of the bolt charging channel. These things are dangerous. You have to be very careful.

And possibly worst of all. When I was 14 I was shooting at a range in Key West where the National Guard was shooting. The sergeant in charge was watching me shoot my Dad's HK91 with Zeiss scope. Wondering what this kid was doing with his Dads expensive toy he checked the target at 100 yards with his spotting scope. After a couple mags he commented "Damn son, you ain't even touched the paper yet."

I looked at him with a puzzled look and then figured it out. I replied "I'm out at 300 yards sir." He moved his spotting scope over to the next row which was my target, looked up and asked me if I wanted to shoot an M-16. These were the new 16A2s with the three shot burst. After a few mags I was hopelessly addicted (far too young to afford such a habit) and black rifles and NFA items would later occupy much of my financial resources.

So as you can see, guns can be very problematic, especially for young people. :D

The_War_Wagon
01-07-12, 16:24
Try falling in with a bunch of older gun-nut buddies at college, when you go back at age 23, and suddenly realize you have a whole CHILDHOOD to make up for as well! :eek:'

You're better off getting the bug as a kid. ;)

Mauser KAR98K
01-07-12, 17:33
Try falling in with a bunch of older gun-nut buddies at college, when you go back at age 23, and suddenly realize you have a whole CHILDHOOD to make up for as well! :eek:'

You're better off getting the bug as a kid. ;)

I hear that. :(

Got me a Ruger MKII at age 8 (when I really wanted a Lugar). Was so hung up on Wolfenstien 3D at the time (The ole DOS version).

My dad bought me--well, he said he bought it for himself at first--a Colt Gold Cup 1911 series 80. He thought it was his, but since age 9 I have put something like 10,000 rounds through it. It is mine, and I think it always has been Barrel is still good, drives tacts, but the rear elison sight likes to loose its pin after a few 1,000 rounds. Almost took it out to my first IDPA match today, but figured I needed to stick with my M&P .45.

pilotguyo540
01-07-12, 17:34
I too was addicted at a young age. I do think your case more severe than mine. I am starting to see these same symptoms in my oldest daughter. I pray there is no cure.

Irish
01-07-12, 18:14
I'm scared my son will have to suffer through the same thing...

In all seriousness I had my SBR out the other day and the boy wanted to see it, he's 14 months old now but the size of a 2 year old, and my wife and I couldn't get over the fact that he was just so excited bouncing up and down wanting to hold it and making funny "oohs" and "ahhhs". I can tell you as a new dad I don't think I've been prouder of my young lil guy and I had a smile from ear to ear! :D

Suwannee Tim
01-07-12, 20:01
I was a late bloomer. I got my own first gun at 14. Prior to that I shot my dad's and brother's guns. Since that time I have wasted a lot of time and money on canoes, bicycles, Trikkes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ruKPiEAzz4) and similar stupid endeavors. Not to mention the years I lived in NYC, some of which I didn't fire even one shot. Yeah, I know but there are no rifle ranges in Harlem or Morningside. I'm trying to make up for it now. Failing miserably until now due to this unfortunate habit called work. I think I have figured out a solution. 5.45. Yep. I figure shooting a round of 5.45 saves me at least $0.10. I need about $50K a year, minimum to live on. If I can get my shooting up to 500,000 shots per year I'll save enough money to live on. My range is open every day except for Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. If I can shoot 1380 shots a day I will save the $50K I need to live on. That's a lot of damn shootin. I don't know if I am up to it.

eternal24k
01-07-12, 20:42
man, i wish my dad had toys like that :blink:

ST911
01-07-12, 20:54
One of my kiddos developed an early fondness for the MP5SD, noting "I bet mom would let us shoot this in the house!"

Another gravitated toward a batch of GA Precision rifles, and favored the short barrel suppressed model on the line.

They're enthusiasm is going to be expensive.

SeriousStudent
01-08-12, 00:59
I was raised by my grandparents on a cattle ranch in Texas. My grandfather was a Depression-era Marine.

He found it perfectly satisfactory to teach a 7-year-old boy to shoot a .22 Colt Woodsman. When I was 10, I got a used Winchester bolt-action .22 of my own with money I earned on the ranch. A used Sears Ted Williams brand .30-06 was my Christmas present when I turned 13. I raised a couple of calves, and got a sweet Ithaca Featherweight 20-gauge that was hell on doves when I was 15.

At 16, I was open carrying a Colt 1911 around the ranch, like all the other males in West By God Texas.

My grandfather got to vist me at Camp Pendleton on a family day, and watched me shoot my issued M-60D. When my Battalion Sergeant Major found out his background, he insisted that my grandfather shoot the Pig, and an M-16A1 as well.

My daughter is entering the Army as an MP this summer. She loves to go "shoot evil black rifles with Daddy."

So I guess this craziness is genetic in my family.

Gramps
01-08-12, 01:24
YOUR ALL PROBLEM CHILDREN. AND MY GENERATION TAKES FULL CREDIT, AND RESPONSIBILITY, FOR IT. :cool:

Now, it's another fun stage, teaching the 6 grandkids, ALL HOW TO BE PROBLEM CHILDREN TOO.:dance3:

Honu
01-08-12, 16:39
my neighbor X Vietnam vet had some cool toys
and a cool milling machine and pretty much everything

I remember thinking yeah wanted to shoot one of those remington XP100 for fun ? he comes back out his room we go out in the backyard plink away
pretty much every gun you could think of he seemed to have ?
my first AR came from him great guy and I did not know much but he kept it up for me as I learned more about them along the way

yeah major problem cause by the time I was about 18 I had some where ups of 40-50 guns got into HK91 stuff as a favorite and lots of other cool toys :)

my fav gun I wish I still had that my neighbor gave me was a high standard military trophy 22 that was so so so so so fun to shoot !

addiction of the most fun kind for sure

BCmJUnKie
01-08-12, 17:06
Well there is hope.

Finance your guns!

http://gunfinancing.com/?ls=FB-PPC

Dienekes
01-08-12, 18:56
My son (age 33) is finally starting to make decent bucks (contractor pilot). The other day he suggested that we split the cost of a .50 cal. rifle. That's a step in the right direction as previously he had urged me to foot the entire cost (and let him shoot it). If I stall a little longer he might just spring for the whole thing...

I figure he's gotten enough guns and ammo from me over the years to more than cover the cost. And a few cases of beer as well.

HES
01-08-12, 22:52
I wish I had seen this post years ago.

My 12 year old son (well he will be 12 in about 10 minutes) and my 13 year old daughter were exposed to firearms at a young age. They got they got their first rifles at the age of 8 (.22 crickets). They continue to shoot, even my stuff some times. They beg for new firearms and range time. I have created future addicts!

Oh who the hell am I kidding, I am glad I created these addicts.

Jellybean
01-09-12, 00:32
I was a late bloomer. I got my own first gun at 14. Prior to that I shot my dad's and brother's guns. Since that time I have wasted a lot of time and money on canoes, bicycles, Trikkes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ruKPiEAzz4) and similar stupid endeavors. Not to mention the years I lived in NYC, some of which I didn't fire even one shot. Yeah, I know but there are no rifle ranges in Harlem or Morningside. I'm trying to make up for it now.....

I politely scoff at your idea of a "late bloomer". I didn't get my first gun til I was almost 19. And then I didn't think I had to shoot it or own more than 2 mags....
I hear you on the wasted money though- what I would give to get back the money I spent on plastic and other stupid shit.....:mad:

On topic- one of my cousins just had a baby girl. It was her first christmas this year and he bought her a pink bb gun and a fishing pole- a good starting point for any baby. As soon as she's walking and talking I'll have to convince them to come down here and play.... :D