PDA

View Full Version : Range Day with the Lowest Common Denominators

ST911
01-08-12, 00:47
The ballistically inept and those bucking for natural selection remain plentiful these days, and are often found on our shooting ranges.

The other day I ventured out to a local public shooting area to test fire some different loads and shoot my sport-utility bolt against some different scenery. I arrived and found the various backstops packed, due to the unseasonably warm temps. I managed to find a spot with ~50yds, not what I wanted but adequate for some close-in work.

Sharing the opposite end of the ~125yd stretch was a group of late teens. Their verbal skills seemed anchored in "dude", "yo", "bro", and some gibberish I could not ID. Clearly, rural white trash had met urban ghetto and conceived them. We stayed at opposite ends of the range for a time, but were close enough that I could keep an eye on them as I did my work. Electronic ear pro also enabled me to keep track of their conversation, during which they commented on my 16" bolt gun "bro that's a single shot he's shooting, look, he has to do that every time." Then there was the commentary on my ammo can, which apparently holds "2000 rounds of 50". Trying to impress a scantily clad and cheaply tattooed young lady with their prowess, they only seemed to bore her. From time to time, they were also fond of pointing the muzzle of their .22 rifle at their own heads as they reloaded the tubular magazine. Curiously, it took 2-3 of them to do it each time. Thankfully, they left shortly thereafter.

They were replaced by a fellow that came by to scavenge brass. Apparently, he was gathering it for sale by weight as he knew nothing about it, as he preferred the "heavier gray brass" cases. They looked more like steel cases to me. I have no issue with that, as those folks help keep the area clean and make up for the littering of others that leave their brass behind. This guy was short on manners though, as he moved to pick up my strings of 308 cases still laying beside my various pieces of range gear. Ask first, dude. I probably would've given them to you.

For the trifecta, a short time later... A seemingly nice fellow rolled by my position and asked if I minded if he set up down the range and shot the other direction to "sight in" his hunting rifle. I appreciate the asking, and am happy to share space with responsible looking people with good manners. However, where he was headed gave him a flat and clear line of sight consisting of...15-20yds maximum distance. When I asked about that, he said that would be fine as he had printed out a chart from the internet. His .30-06 would stay true to the chart. When asked if that distance would even demonstrate a zero difference, I got a blank look. The internet knows best, I guess. The patterns he was shooting at ~15 yards with what looked to be a typical 3-9x40 scope were mostly on target.

At least no one tried to steal my range bag this trip, nor did I get shot at, stuck in the mud, or asked if I had any ammo to spare.

SeriousStudent
01-08-12, 01:14
Nobody ask you if you had any extra charcoal lighter fluid or matches, for their tailgate party?

Nobody offered to trade you a 12 pack of Carlings Black Label beer if they could "shoot yer machine gun"?

Didn't have someone tell you that your dedicated .22 Tactical Solutions AR was "way undergassed"?

These are all real questions, by the way....

And they shoot, and vote, and breed. Shudder.

QuietShootr
01-08-12, 20:02
The ballistically inept and those bucking for natural selection remain plentiful these days, and are often found on our shooting ranges.

The other day I ventured out to a local public shooting area to test fire some different loads and shoot my sport-utility bolt against some different scenery. I arrived and found the various backstops packed, due to the unseasonably warm temps. I managed to find a spot with ~50yds, not what I wanted but adequate for some close-in work.

Sharing the opposite end of the ~125yd stretch was a group of late teens. Their verbal skills seemed anchored in "dude", "yo", "bro", and some gibberish I could not ID. Clearly, rural white trash had met urban ghetto and conceived them. We stayed at opposite ends of the range for a time, but were close enough that I could keep an eye on them as I did my work. Electronic ear pro also enabled me to keep track of their conversation, during which they commented on my 16" bolt gun "bro that's a single shot he's shooting, look, he has to do that every time." Then there was the commentary on my ammo can, which apparently holds "2000 rounds of 50". Trying to impress a scantily clad and cheaply tattooed young lady with their prowess, they only seemed to bore her. From time to time, they were also fond of pointing the muzzle of their .22 rifle at their own heads as they reloaded the tubular magazine. Curiously, it took 2-3 of them to do it each time. Thankfully, they left shortly thereafter.

They were replaced by a fellow that came by to scavenge brass. Apparently, he was gathering it for sale by weight as he knew nothing about it, as he preferred the "heavier gray brass" cases. They looked more like steel cases to me. I have no issue with that, as those folks help keep the area clean and make up for the littering of others that leave their brass behind. This guy was short on manners though, as he moved to pick up my strings of 308 cases still laying beside my various pieces of range gear. Ask first, dude. I probably would've given them to you.

For the trifecta, a short time later... A seemingly nice fellow rolled by my position and asked if I minded if he set up down the range and shot the other direction to "sight in" his hunting rifle. I appreciate the asking, and am happy to share space with responsible looking people with good manners. However, where he was headed gave him a flat and clear line of sight consisting of...15-20yds maximum distance. When I asked about that, he said that would be fine as he had printed out a chart from the internet. His .30-06 would stay true to the chart. When asked if that distance would even demonstrate a zero difference, I got a blank look. The internet knows best, I guess. The patterns he was shooting at ~15 yards with what looked to be a typical 3-9x40 scope were mostly on target.

At least no one tried to steal my range bag this trip, nor did I get shot at, stuck in the mud, or asked if I had any ammo to spare.

Atterbury, huh?

The_War_Wagon
01-08-12, 20:11
PA just passed a law this past year, requiring you to either possess a valid hunting license, or pay some exorbitant range fee each time you visited the formerly free state gameland ranges.

I'm not a hunter, but I might buy the license now, which pays for itself on your second trip to the range. Such regulations might also now deter the the 'sophisticated urbanites' and their Raven .25's from cluttering up valuable range space around Pittsburgh...

ucrt
01-08-12, 20:42

Skintop...I feel your pain...

The last time I went to our State WMA Range I got three of my (many) pet-peeve's in about 3-minutes.
- Do you have a target I can use?
- Can I look at my target through your spotting scope for a second?
- Do you have a pair of earplugs I can borrow? As I got him a pair told him "No" because I really didn't want them back..:fie:

On this trip, some "turk deVille" setup at the very end of the firing line, next to the rifle range's boundary. After he finished shooting, he just crossed to the otherside of the boundary fence and walked downrange with a hot line to see where he was hitting his target.
I saw him and yelled "Line Cold!" to the other 6 shooters that were oblivious to where he was and went to confront him. He said since he was no longer physically "on the range", he was OK.

I think guys like us, that prevent the natural selection process from happening, are the real blame as to why these guys keep showing up.

Poor idiots...

ST911
01-08-12, 22:07
Nobody ask you if you had any extra charcoal lighter fluid or matches, for their tailgate party?

Nobody offered to trade you a 12 pack of Carlings Black Label beer if they could "shoot yer machine gun"?

Didn't have someone tell you that your dedicated .22 Tactical Solutions AR was "way undergassed"?

These are all real questions, by the way....

And they shoot, and vote, and breed. Shudder.

I guess that gives me something to look forward to. :D

SeriousStudent
01-08-12, 22:47
It did make me wish the range I was at allowed Tannerite. ;)

"Here, just hold this can on top of your converted oil drum BBQ grill.... I'll light it from over here for you."

Eurodriver
01-09-12, 06:18
I have a five word comment:

Ocala National Forest Shooting Range

SteadyUp
01-09-12, 09:38
Stories like this make me glad I belong to a private club. Granted, there are still morons that manage to become members, but their numbers are fewer than at a public range.

Abraxas
01-09-12, 10:17
If they had any kind of manners they would have offered you some of their alcohol. ;)

SeriousStudent
01-09-12, 20:56
If they had any kind of manners they would have offered you some of their alcohol. ;)

They did. They were still shooting, and had loaded weapons. Sigh.

I packed my stuff and left, lest I spring a leak or blow a gasket.

mdoan300
01-09-12, 21:04
They did. They were still shooting, and had loaded weapons. Sigh.

I packed my stuff and left, lest I spring a leak or blow a gasket.

SS, I think I'm in your neck of the woods. What range is this so I know to avoid???