PDA

View Full Version : Bonded Bullet Questions

Altair
01-08-12, 00:51
It would seem that bonded projectiles are simply where it is at for ideal terminal performance. Bonding the jacket to the core provides a more robust projectile that will work across a wider velocity range and through intermediate barriers.

My question is, what process is actually used to bond the lead core to the copper jacket? Is it a chemical process of some kind or is it simply heating the bullets to a specified temperature?

I know bonded projectiles are significantly more expensive so I'm wondering what the manufacturing process that makes them more expensive actually is.

CumbiaDude
01-08-12, 01:51
It seems they're basically soldered, but it requires a softer lead to make it work. Hornady's new Critical Defense ammo uses a mechanical locking system so they can go with a higher antimony lead that's too hard to solder to the jacket.

I read this in a gun magazine though, so it could be totally wrong :D

ElyasWolff
01-08-12, 11:35
Gold dots look like the jacket is electro plated.

Altair
01-08-12, 12:10
Gold dots look like the jacket is electro plated.

Meaning that instead of starting with a jacket and filling it with lead they start with lead and plate the jacket onto it?

ElyasWolff
01-08-12, 18:09
Meaning that instead of starting with a jacket and filling it with lead they start with lead and plate the jacket onto it?

Yes. I had a box of gold dot components where one bullet slipped through that was not finished. They take a lead slug, then plate it, then it gets swaged to size and the hollow point gets swaged into the bullet.

ElyasWolff
01-08-12, 18:12
Some bullets that are "bonded" look like they have a cannluer (spelling) which presses the jacket into the core and they say that is bonding. I cant speak for modern designs, that is Doc's thing.

SgtSabre
01-09-12, 03:02
Some bullets that are "bonded" look like they have a cannluer (spelling) which presses the jacket into the core and they say that is bonding. I cant speak for modern designs, that is Doc's thing.

That's not "bonding" in the sense I understand it. What you are talking about is, I believe, what Remington has for years used with their Core-Lokt bullets; it mechanically connects the core and jacket around the ring where the cannelure is. With a bonded bullet, the core and jacket are actually fused together throughout the entire bullet.

nineteenkilo
01-09-12, 08:55
That's not "bonding" in the sense I understand it. What you are talking about is, I believe, what Remington has for years used with their Core-Lokt bullets; it mechanically connects the core and jacket around the ring where the cannelure is. With a bonded bullet, the core and jacket are actually fused together throughout the entire bullet.

Remington refers to their Cor-Lokts as bonded bullets though, as you stated, they are only mechanically connected at the cannelure. Some people also refer to this type as cup and ball.

The fused jacket variety (Think Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Gold Dots) are a much more involved process like electroplating.

Both are technically bonded as the lead and copper are joined through either mechanical, elemental, or thermal means.

It is a confusing term that manufacturers like to use as a selling point and to give them another "Gotcha" to use against their competitors.

vicious_cb
01-09-12, 20:37
I believe the TBBC bullets are actually baked to fuse the jacket and core while the Gold Dots are electro plated.