PDA

View Full Version : training for "regular folks"

FightingTupperware
01-08-12, 18:23
hello everyone.
im interested and am convicted that that while im not overtrained in my shooting disciplines i am sourly under prepared/under trained when it comes to saving a life mine or someone else. i know it would haunt me for the rest of my life and i dont want to live with that.
mostly im interested in stopping them from dieing until the professionals get there. as i understand it bleeding out is a the number 1 reason for death among military and number 2 in civilans. (please correct me if im wrong)
my question is who should i go to to get training? ive read that magpul dose such a training.

Shawn.L
01-08-12, 18:53
I am taking a North American Rescue course through Grey Group

sgtjosh
01-08-12, 19:30
EMT class@your local community college?

SeriousStudent
01-08-12, 20:19
Mr. Falla will be offering what looks to be a very useful class.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1187997&postcount=12

If you have not read a great deal about him before, he was a patrol medic with the Australian Special Air Service Regiment. He's very familiar with the squirting red stuff.

I think it would be an excellent course for most of us, and am working to put together the finances to attend.

FightingTupperware
01-08-12, 21:29
Mr. Falla will be offering what looks to be a very useful class.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1187997&postcount=12

If you have not read a great deal about him before, he was a patrol medic with the Australian Special Air Service Regiment. He's very familiar with the squirting red stuff.

I think it would be an excellent course for most of us, and am working to put together the finances to attend.

i actually did not see anything about first aid or tramma dose he offer other courses?

FightingTupperware
01-08-12, 21:37
EMT class@your local community college?

i have taken basic first aid and CPR at the local CC. they left me with more doubt than confidence. but maybe i would have better luck with a more detailed class

thanks

AFGuy1227
01-08-12, 21:44
Start by contacting your local Red Cross they can usually help you find a first aid class near by. And if you want to practice your skills on a regular basis then find out if your area has a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). Just remember to not get in over your head b/c some skills are perishable skills so stick to the basics unless you're looking to make a career in EMS.

SeriousStudent
01-08-12, 22:59
i actually did not see anything about first aid or tramma dose he offer other courses?

Learning Objectives from the previous link:

Threat recognition,
React to contact,
Close quarters fighting techniques,
Cover and evacuation drills,
Tactical movement while in control of family members,
Deployment of the handgun while in control of family members,
Advanced weapons manipulations while in control of family members,
Applying the principles of Tactical Combat Casualty Care in a Tactical pre-hospital setting,
Tactical medical kits and contents,
Conducting rapid trauma assessments of casualties,
Initiating life saving interventions within a tactical environment.

I definitely do think the advice about starting with a local Red Cross class is a good one. Plus it is likely to be quite less expensive, compared to other options.

You may also want to contact a local fire dept and ask about a reserve or auxiliary group. Many moons ago I was a paramedic, and did a lot of teaching at the citizen's fire and police academies. We often had a standard curriculum, but tailored the content to the class. The reserve officers got a lot more instruction on what to do for "coolant leaks".

I think your wanting to seek medical training is very wise, and wish you luck with it.

FightingTupperware
01-08-12, 23:25
Learning Objectives from the previous link:

Threat recognition,
React to contact,
Close quarters fighting techniques,
Cover and evacuation drills,
Tactical movement while in control of family members,
Deployment of the handgun while in control of family members,
Advanced weapons manipulations while in control of family members,
Applying the principles of Tactical Combat Casualty Care in a Tactical pre-hospital setting,
Tactical medical kits and contents,
Conducting rapid trauma assessments of casualties,
Initiating life saving interventions within a tactical environment.

I definitely do think the advice about starting with a local Red Cross class is a good one. Plus it is likely to be quite less expensive, compared to other options.

You may also want to contact a local fire dept and ask about a reserve or auxiliary group. Many moons ago I was a paramedic, and did a lot of teaching at the citizen's fire and police academies. We often had a standard curriculum, but tailored the content to the class. The reserve officers got a lot more instruction on what to do for "coolant leaks".

I think your wanting to seek medical training is very wise, and wish you luck with it.

i missed that on my once over... :lazy: thanks for pointing it out...
thank you for your help everyone! redcross sounds like a good place to start.

sboza
01-09-12, 02:11
Learning tc3 concepts in a hd class from an instructor of the caliber of Mr. Falla seems like the ideal context in which to learn such concepts. Throw in Red Cross AED, CPR, and first aid to round you out as these concepts have little relevance in tc3 instruction. Nothing wrong with dedicated tc3 training either and Mr. Falla teaches that also but if you're not mil/le/emt/etc..., a hd class with a tc3 block may be more practical.

This really sounds like a great class, even for folks with extensive backgrounds in CQB. A little while back, I was in a class where the instructor had a block on deliberate, one man clearing. I thought it would be a piece of cake but was I wrong! The concepts are different enough from team movement that I feel spending time doing it has made me and my girlfriend safer.

Just my $.02

A couple of disclaimers:

First of all, I am not a medical professional by any means so consider my advice with that in mind. I have had decent tc3 instruction and stay certified in a few classes offered by the Red Cross.

I haven't yet trained with Mr. Falla but am going to be taking two of his classes this year. I make the claim about his caliber based on what people I know and have worked with have told me about him and also from what I have read. I have yet to hear even one bad thing about him and RB1.

chuckman
01-09-12, 08:35
ARC basic first aid or first responder is good enough for 99.99% of the population. Just happens, the people on this forum are part of the .01% where TCCC could be of benefit.

SteveL
01-09-12, 19:36
Contact your local fire/EMS department and see if they offer first responder training. Some do and some don't. If you have more than one department close by (city, county, neighboring city/county) be sure to check with them all.

Alexx
02-02-12, 14:34
i have taken basic first aid and CPR at the local CC. they left me with more doubt than confidence. but maybe i would have better luck with a more detailed class

thanks
I have taken that basic first aid-CPR class (http://www.ncprc.com) on this web site www.ncprc.com and for regular folks they have lots of good stuff to learn. At minimum we should all know CPR procedures, it may save someones life.

FightingTupperware
02-02-12, 23:53
i could use a refresher course thats for sure.

the_master_midget
02-07-12, 13:21
a Wilderness first aid class is an excellent option. The wilderness first aid class is put on by American red cross so you can go to their website and look for local classes I did mine at the local sportsman's warehouse. Pretty good on how to be resourceful with a little thought. Plus its cheaper I think I paid $150 for the class vs. $800 for EMT schooling. Obviously the EMT schooling is going to be more in depth but its also trade related safety. I am currently enrolled in EMT class.

mallowpufft
02-07-12, 21:12
a Wilderness first aid class is an excellent option. The wilderness first aid class is put on by American red cross so you can go to their website and look for local classes I did mine at the local sportsman's warehouse. Pretty good on how to be resourceful with a little thought. Plus its cheaper I think I paid $150 for the class vs. $800 for EMT schooling. Obviously the EMT schooling is going to be more in depth but its also trade related safety. I am currently enrolled in EMT class.

Another good option is the NSP's Outdoor Emergency Care (http://www.nsp.org/EduPrograms/oeccourseandchall.aspx) class. Usually runs between $100-$150 from your local ski area.
They'll usually do it for the cost of the book if you agree to work for them.
I got suckered in when I was 16 and it was the only way I could afford to ski. I've been doing it now for 13 years and I've been a "pro" for the last ten. Getting paid to ski is good stuff.

The course does have a heavy focus to the mountain but spends time in general wilderness first aid as most ski areas also offer summer options. It doesn't get in to the cool stuff like reducing dislocations or emergency bone sets but it does teach effective methods for rapid stabilization and transport under adverse conditions. In the last three seasons I've seen a couple pneumothoraxes, open tib-fibs, unresponsive, a couple fractured femurs and God only knows how many shoulder/wrist/knee injuries. I've also used my training to not flip out when a client at work stopped breathing and I had to perform CPR because everyone else was too busy freaking out.
I lucked out when I took my class and got it with a Nordic instructor who believed in carrying enough stuff to improvise whatever he needed with him.
The course as a whole is somewhere between first responder & EMT as far as the education. NSP also offers mountain travel & rescue classes that teach basic orienteering and the like and then put you in the woods in a 2-5 (depends on your instructor and class willingness) day simulated survival experience. I did the 2 day class last March and we hiked up a mountain in the rain, ate lunch and were then told that one of the students broke both his legs and was mildly hypothermic and we had to transport him down w/o further injury but we had to rewarm him first. It was a blast.
I've also met 5 or 6 other preparedness minded people on the Patrol and it's nice having some folks who don't think I'm straight crazy for being as prepared as I want to be.

The biggest problem is that I now feel like I want more training for when SHTF so that I can be a more valuable asset to a group or my family so I'm planning on getting my EMT then Wilderness First Responder (WFR's get to do reductions and set bones).

FightingTupperware
02-08-12, 00:35
thanks for the leads.