PDA

View Full Version : First handgun purchase newb.

Jaysop
01-08-12, 19:34
I completely apologize if this topic has been covered and I missed it, Id hate to be that guy. You can tear me apart if you want im a newb and deserve it.
I saw a few that touched some key points but they were a little old and from what I gather the handgun world is rapidly changing.

Im not very knowledgeable about handguns in general and being from NY you cant even touch one in the store until you have a permit. Ill be moving out of state soon, and ill have my NY permit soon as well.

So I know id like a 9mm. I used them in the MIL for brief qualifications. And I like the price of the round as well.

What I don't know is what gun to get.
Im NOT asking people to tell me what to get as much as Id like to be pointed in the direction to learn what makes them better or more proficient in my needs.
My needs are mostly range, training, HD in a lower priority. Not carry.

There aren't many stickies on handgun info, where do I look for general education on this?

I THINK I want either a Glock 19 or SW MP9 because they seem to be the most common and well liked around here. Iv handled both. The Glock feels flimsy to crudely say. The MP feels very solid. But I gather that the Glock is overall better.
Both seem to have they're issues tho. The only reason Im leaning towards the MP is that I like it more visually. But that's no reason to buy.

So what should my first step be? Obviously seeking training on how to use it will be my highest priority. And I wouldn't be opposed to buying something later down the road if I find that the pistol I initially buy isn't perfect for me.

Snake Plissken
01-08-12, 19:56
Budget?

Glock 34 with new trigger
CZ 75 SA
M&P 9L with APEX or similar trigger overhaul
German-made P226
CZ SP-01 Shadow
Walther PPQ

Bout all I can come up with for pistols that ignore the needs of "tactical" purposes. You don't need to pay for some tactical weapons manipulation course to learn how to shoot a pistol. I'm assuming you have little to no experience with handguns apart from qualifications in the military. You can learn by yourself pretty easily to bring yourself up to pace then from there on go ahead and try a class. It's more about having someone who can recognize your faults and potential and actively correct it than anything.

Learning with a good trigger, and an extended barrel (longer sight distance) will help quite a bit. Find a range that does rentals and try different things but focus on learning to shoot first...then apply that knowledge to selecting a pistol that suits you.

Nephrology
01-08-12, 19:57
They are effectively equivalent and each have their own unique drawbacks and strengths. Just buy whichever one happens to be cheaper the day you walk in and stick with it.

if you are at ALL going to use this pistol for self defense pick a brand that is well reputed. Again that information is everywhere here.

SeriousStudent
01-08-12, 20:07
http://f2sconsulting.com/What_pistol_should_I_buy.html

Personally, I think the answer to about 75 percent of the handgun questions one hears on most days is "buy a Gen 3 Glock 19".

sarge1967
01-08-12, 20:23
Walther PPQ
Glock 19 or 17
Springfield XD or XDM
S&W M&P
H&K P2000, P30

Any of the above weapons will serve you well. I have just recently switched from Glock to a Walther PPQ. IMO the PPQ has the best out of the box trigger of all the striker fired weapons on the market. It is better than my G23 after having trigger work done to it. It points much better as well.

I would advise before buying anything trying to get to a range that allows you to rent pistols and try some of these out. I realize you said your in NY but if you are indeed moving I would wait if it is in the near future.

blasternank
01-08-12, 21:21
Glock 17 or 19
S&W M&P 9mm
Springfield XD or XDM

Any of those will be reliable and fun to shoot. Go to a gun store and see which feels better in your hand. Maybe they will have a range where you can try some out. I prefer the Glock but that's me. It feels better in my hands. Many friends don't like it but like the feel of the other 2 I listed. Good luck.

ralph
01-08-12, 21:24
I agree with Sarge, above..wait until you move, and then hopefully, you can find a shop that has a rental range..this would allow you to at least try as many different pistols as you can, see how they shoot and how well you shoot with it. I'd also add, that range rental pistols are usually abused, and rarely cleaned, So, if you have any problems with one, that dose'nt nessessarily mean it a POS,But rather, it probably needs a good cleaning and some lube.Don't let a bad experience with a rental put you off from what may actually be a excellant pistol. Do as much research as you can, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock,17,19, Walther PPQ, HK P-30, P-2000 (either with a LEM trigger if you can find one)

loupav
01-08-12, 21:24
I suggest you check out an HK P2000 or P30. They're very nice pistols and well serve you well.

Jaysop
01-08-12, 21:47
Thanks for the feedback.
I forgot about being able to rent a gun at a range. Thats inconceivable in NY for the most part. Im doing some house shopping in the area that im moving in Feb so ill see if I can get some of that in while im there.

I think for my first ill stick with the MP or glock for the sake of popularity and parts. I think having something a little more obscure will screw me if I get caught up in something I don't understand about it.

As ive been doing some reading I see a trend of people buying specific pistols and instantly adding their upgrades.
Is that necessary or is it like how people buy an AR and throw a ton of shit on it?
Is there anything I should know about them?

Sensei
01-08-12, 21:47
Gen 3 Glock 19 would be my first choice for a first pistol. It only NEEDS a good set of sights (my personal favorite are Ameriglo ProGlo at standard heights). Most of the other after market parts are purely optional depending on your preferences.

The M&P9 suffers the reputation of inconsistent accuracy. I have 3 and all are tack drivers with 124 grain +p ammo, but one suffers some accuracy degradation with 147 grain ammo. The M&P requires a little more tweaking out of the box for many of us who like the APEX Tactical DCAEK or FSS&T kits.

As for the HK P30, it is excellent. However, you pay for what you get as it is about $200-300 more than a Glock or M&P. Most prefer the light LEM trigger unless you are will to spend the time to master a HEAVY double action pull for your first shot.

CumbiaDude
01-08-12, 21:51
Gen 3 Glock 19 would be my first choice for a first pistol. It only NEEDS a good set of sights (my personal favorite are Ameriglo ProGlo at standard heights). Most of the other after market parts are purely optional depending on your preferences.+1. I don't even have sights yet for my Glock 19 (will get them eventually, but the gun functions fine without them, and pistols are secondary weapons). The only thing I actually bought for it was a Vickers extended mag release. Made a huge difference, along with some dremel work.

sarge1967
01-08-12, 22:25
As ive been doing some reading I see a trend of people buying specific pistols and instantly adding their upgrades.
Is that necessary or is it like how people buy an AR and throw a ton of shit on it?
Is there anything I should know about them?

That was part of my point above.

I bought a Glock 23 for CCW when I lived in AZ. I spent a ton of money getting that thing the way I wanted it. Night Sights, 3.5lb connector, Lone Wolf Barrel, Metal Guide Rod, I replaced many of the plastic parts with metal ones. And IMO the thing still had a caulk gun trigger and will never point natural point of aim for me.
Now do you NEED to spend all that money on your pistol? No. I would recommend night sights on ALL defensive pistols but that is really all you HAVE to do.
I must say that I come from a competitive pistol shooting background. I used to shoot high end 1911's and S&W Revolvers. I have since sold these in favor of other more practical weapon systems. But let me tell you going from a Nighthawk Custom to a Glock was very difficult to say the least. :suicide: So I will admit I am biased to fine handguns and tried like hell to make the Glock as nice as I could.

RogerinTPA
01-08-12, 22:29
I've been completely satisfied with my M&Ps for several years. 3 of the 4, have over 10K rounds on them. All have Apex sears and striker blocks. As the OP has mentioned, both have issues. I suggest you shoot a box or two, through both the Glock and the M&P ( or anything else you are interested in), then draw your own conclusions. For the record, I owed a G23 for years and absolutely hated the grip. If I had to own one, I'd get a Gen 3 G19, then send it to Ben at Boresight Solutions, for a grip reduction and a trigger job.

Snake Plissken
01-08-12, 22:42
I suggest you check out an HK P2000 or P30. They're very nice pistols and well serve you well.

Those I have read who have used the P30...and the PPQ, admit the PPQ has a far better trigger.

Jaysop
01-08-12, 22:50
Dammit I thought it would be as simple as BCM/DD/Colt sort of thing.

Where im moving to im attempting to get with their police dept.
Admittedly LE isnt even my focus in school and may not go in that direction, but would it be smart to learn on the platform they use? Happens to be an MP.

Are the upgrades mentioned above necessary for the MP or are they a luxury item? Are they something I can easily do myself or do I need a gunsmith?

Sarge is the trigger really that bad on the glock in you opinion? I HATE mushy triggers. Its extremely distracting for me. Id love to spend 1k on a custom pistol but I really don't know what I want or need yet.

Sensei
01-08-12, 23:30
Are the upgrades mentioned above necessary for the MP or are they a luxury item? Are they something I can easily do myself or do I need a gunsmith?

The APEX parts are a luxury in the sense that most LEOs have no problems qualifying with their stock M&Ps, and the pistols function fine out of the box. However, shooting a stock M&P after becoming accustomed to the APEX upgrade is painful.

The APEX DCAEK kit reduces the factory trigger pull from 6-8 to 4-5 lbs and significantly smooths the trigger uptake. The APEX RAM which is easy to install with the DCAEK gives the pistol a tactical reset and allows manual reset of a dead trigger (very rare). These upgrades, along with the M&P ergos, make me more accurate with the S&W than Glock (the opposite is true without APEX parts).

There are online instructional videos for the APEX install, or you can buy a pistol from G&R Tactical (Grant) with the parts already installed. You will need a 1/8" punch and a good sight pusher is helpful. It took me about 90 min for my first APEX install; now I do them in 20 min.

citizensoldier16
01-08-12, 23:53
First off, welcome to the wonderful world of handguns. There are a plethora of good posts above, and having read them all, I tend to agree with most points.

What surprises me though, is the common dedication (for lack of a better term) to the Glock 19. You (the OP...or original poster) stated that carry is not in your near future, so I'm a little shocked to see that not more people have recommended the Glock 17. Personally I own a G17, a G19, and an M&P9c with the Apex trigger hardware. I have to say that of those three firearms, I much prefer to shoot the G17 at a range. Believe it or not, I received it as a gift from my father about 11 years ago and I have not tinkered with it in any way. It shot perfectly out of the box from day one, and has continued to do so. I rarely clean it, and even though its an older gun and it shows its age with holster wear, it still shoots as accurately as it did the day I took the tags off it.

Strangely enough, being the oldest and most shot pistol in my collection, the G17 is my bedside firearm and the one I will reach for when things go bump in the night...albeit coupled with a TLR1 light and loaded with Black Hills 124gr JHPs. Why 124s instead of 147s? Just my preference and what I have on hand.

The G17 offers a slightly longer sight radius, and as other posters have pointed out, ALL handguns should be outfitted with night sights. Currently, both my Glocks are wearing Trijicon night sights in green, although the sights on my G17 are showing their age and will soon be replaced with Ameriglo sights. The Trijicons were installed about 10 years ago and are still functional, but as I said, will be replaced soon.

My M&P9c came from the factory with horrible accuracy and a terrible trigger. Long story short...it shot 7" high and 4" left at 7 yards. That was unacceptable by any standards for a HD/carry gun. I contacted S&W via email and sent the firearm back for repair. Turns out their armorer found a poorly machined barrel crown as well as rifling that was sub-par. In the end, I received a brand new match barrel and a free trigger job, in which I had the Apex DCAEK installed at my request by the factory. Minus the cost of the Apex kit, the repair was completely free...including shipping both ways. It currently shoots point of aim, point of impact (POA-POI) at 7 yards...which is what I requested.

I guess what I'm trying to convey here is that you really can't go wrong with a G17, a G19, or even an M&P9. I have the M&P9c just because it's my every day carry gun, but since you won't be carrying, you will probably be more than happy with the full size version.

My best advice to folks contemplating a pistol purchase: go to a range where they rent firearms and fire all three. See which one you like best. I'm sort of an anomaly when it comes to firearms. I shoot my G17 and G19 in IDPA pretty much every month. I'm used to that grip and have trained my muscle memory to remember that grip angle, where the controls are, and how to run that weapon system without even thinking about it. However, my EDC gun is the M&P9c. It's a little unorthodox. You know, with all that talk about "train with what you carry" and all, but I find that I really do enjoy all three guns.

Welcome to the club, and happy buying!

SkiDevil
01-09-12, 00:03
JSOP,

There have been some excellent points made and recommendations. Of the two pistols which you listed, I would opt for the Glock 17 or 19, whichever fits your hand better.

Also, if you are considering a career in Law Enforcement, there is a strong possibility that a Glock will be the issued sidearm.

In my opinion, if your focus is to acquire practice, skill, and experience with a pistol, then I would strongly consider purchasing a high quality .22 pistol. For every box of centerfire ammo you can purchase considerably more rimfire ammo. That fact alone would put you in the position to practice frequently with your pistol.

You may have already considered this but I thought it prudent to suggest considering a rimfire because in your first post you listed practice as the first consideration and carry/ defense as secondary.

A Glock with a reliable conversion kit may be a viable option as well, depending on your budget.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

SkiDevil

sarge1967
01-09-12, 04:47
Sarge is the trigger really that bad on the glock in you opinion? I HATE mushy triggers. Its extremely distracting for me. Id love to spend 1k on a custom pistol but I really don't know what I want or need yet.

In short "YES!" IMO. That and they have a grip angle that points up. Those are the two drawbacks to a Glock. They are reliable and durrable fairly accurate when you can get past the grip angle.
If you are trying to become a LEO your dept. will probably have requirements for your duty pistol. They may supply it or you will get a substantial LEO discount. So there again you may want to wait.
I have a young friend who is going through the same thing right now. He is in process of testing for various depts. He has a old used Glock 22. But wants a new pistol. I was working with him this weekend cause he was complaining of shooting high and right. We worked on trigger control and sight alignment. He realized how bad the grip angle on his Glock was after he shot my wife's Walther PPQ in 9mm. Now he wants a PPQ.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Nephrology
01-09-12, 06:57
That and they have a grip angle that points up.

Pretty sure it's your hand that's pointing the gun up.

The whole "waah waah glocks don't fit my hand" thing is really silly. Nothing is going to "fit" your hand outside a pair of tailored gloves. You make the gun fit in your hands.

Between my 1911 and my Glocks I really don't think the grip angle makes a big difference in my ability to shoot it well. The trigger will not help you as much as the 1911, no, but frankly the 1911 trigger only helps mask a lot of problems in trigger control. Bottom line is if you can shoot a Glock well it is because you shoot pistols well.

rob_s
01-09-12, 07:09
Buy something, go shoot. Seriously, I'm not kidding. Ignore anyone that starts to dish out a recipe for modifications right out of the gate. Those are THEIR modifications that work for THEM (hopefully based on their actual use but more often based on nothing more substantial than fairy dust), if they don't understand this and think that suggesting that it would also automatically work for you, just think of what else they get wrong.

The two most popular 9mm handguns right now are the Glock 19/17 and the M&P, and for almost no other reason I would choose one of these. Holster (Raven is a great place to start), magazine pouches, ammo, a couple extra magazines, and a class. It may well be that you chose poorly, you'll get over it. It may well be that your choice "doesn't fit your hand". you'll get over it. It may well be that there are small parts & pieces that need changing. you'll get over it. If you don't get over it, change it. Change the gun. Change the grip. Change the parts & pieces. But get the gun and go shoot it. Take up competition shooting. Tell your friends and yourself you're "doing it tactically" if you're afraid of losing. But make changes because you identify shortcomings in the gun, not to mask shortcomings in yourself.

you need to learn the fine balance between sticking stubbornly with something that doesn't work just because you don't want to admit you were wrong and jumping on every new bandwagon that goes screaming by because you aren't willing to take the time to improve yourself.

https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/concepts/where-do-i-begin

sarge1967
01-09-12, 08:57
I nerver in any way suggested that you modify your pistol right off the bat. In fact I suggested otherwise. The mods I did were for ME. Buy what feels good to you and practice.
I still stand by my statement about the Glock grip angle. Grip angle affects natural point of aim. If they work for you AWESOME! I would just state that they don't for some. When shooting under stress natural point of aim WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I am assuming you know how to check a weapons natural point of aim. If not find out how and check each weapon you consider buying.
I noticed that you are a Marine. Use what the Corps taught you. Expand on it. You should have many of the shooting basics squarely under your belt. Sight alignment, sight picture, breathing control, trigger control should all be second nature to you. Apply those skills to your pistol shooting.

Good luck and Semper Fi!

newyork
01-09-12, 09:20
Not sure if its important to you or not but, keep in mind, whatever you choose must either have 10 round mags in NY or...have mags that were manufactured before the AWB date of 9/94. The M&P and HK guns suggested were not even out yet so you'll be stuck with 10 rd mags for them.
The Glocks have been and some mags are around but very expensive. I am starting to get over the 10 rd law and have decided to just get better and faster at mag changes although I do own a couple G19s and prebans. I use an HK45 which only holds 10 rds anyway.

d90king
01-09-12, 09:35
WoW :cray: there is enough stuff in this thread to make Baby Jesus cry.

Short answer is buy a Glock 19 / 17 or a S&W M&P, add a proper set of sights and go learn how to shoot it. After 5-10k rounds if you find the pistol lacking in an area address that on a as needed basis. Yes, the plastic things that Glock calls sights are that bad and I do recommend replacing those right out of the box.

I would strongly recommend quality training so that you get out of the gates with proper fundamentals and don't have to undo poor training habits. Whenever possible it is best to learn proper fundamentals first so that you dont have to spend countless hours un****ing your shooting (this is different than simply learning a weapons manual of arms) it is very easy to ingrain poor pistol shooting habits so a strong foundation is important in the long term. Also simply ignore any of the "grip angle" and "awful trigger" drivel and go out and learn how to shoot. Magically both the grip angle and trigger will become perfect after 5-10k rounds of good practice with it.

I came from a long background with 1911's and have found the Glock 19 to be one of the easiest pistols to shoot well. It simply takes work, if you put the work in I think that you will find that you will be rewarded for years to come.

d90king
01-09-12, 09:39
I nerver in any way suggested that you modify your pistol right off the bat. In fact I suggested otherwise. The mods I did were for ME. Buy what feels good to you and practice.
I still stand by my statement about the Glock grip angle. Grip angle affects natural point of aim. If they work for you AWESOME! I would just state that they don't for some. When shooting under stress natural point of aim WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I am assuming you know how to check a weapons natural point of aim. If not find out how and check each weapon you consider buying.
I noticed that you are a Marine. Use what the Corps taught you. Expand on it. You should have many of the shooting basics squarely under your belt. Sight alignment, sight picture, breathing control, trigger control should all be second nature to you. Apply those skills to your pistol shooting.

Good luck and Semper Fi!

Under stress YOU WILL default to your training and not to the grip angle of a pistol. Stop spewing a bunch of nonsense and go out and learn how to run your gun properly. A proper grip eliminates any issues that one could have from the grip angle of a Glock.

sarge1967
01-09-12, 10:17
Under stress YOU WILL default to your training and not to the grip angle of a pistol. Stop spewing a bunch of nonsense and go out and learn how to run your gun properly. A proper grip eliminates any issues that one could have from the grip angle of a Glock.

I give up! Go buy a Glock they are THE BEST PISTOLS ON THE MARKET! HECK PERHAPS ALL OTHER COMPANIES SHOULD JUST STOP MAKING PISTOLS. THE GLOCK IS THE BEST SO WHY SHOULD THEY BOTHER?

Op find what YOU LIKE AND TRAIN WITH IT!

TacCommE21
01-09-12, 10:41
+1 on the buy something and shoot it. I prefer Glock. Have carried both 17 and 19 (currently Gen 3 19).

The one piece of equipment I would buy straight away is a Glock Rear Sight Tool. You'll need it to adjust your rear sights without bitching them up (whether stock or aftermarket) I find they are a great investment.

While Glocks are not known for their stock triggers, I would use caution in having ANY trigger work done to a weapon that might be used for self defense. Just do the research and make a decision based on facts.

Good Luck!

Jaysop
01-09-12, 10:52
Sarge I understand where your coming from and appreciate your input.
Its not often to find people who have bad things to say about glocks and I try to soak up all the negatives I can.

Thank you all again for the help. Ill jut keep it simple and stick with getting either the MP or Glock. If I hate it ill just pass it on to someone who likes it.
Ill be seeking out some purposeful training obviously and beginning learning what the ups and downs are.

NewYork I was also thinking about that as a benefit with the glock. But ill be moving south so ill be able to have what I want. How much are glock prebans going for anyway? I saw some on Gunbroker for something like $400 for 5?!

As for the triggers. They're polymer as well aren't they? I understand the most of the components are metal but do they get some kind of flex after a while? I'm just relating that question to a plastic clip I had to keep my headphones secured at the gym, eventually it just wore out, Bent in weird ways and was noneffective after a while. Does that happen with thee polymer guns?

JSantoro
01-09-12, 10:53
Looking at it from the standpoint of "learning gun" that could still end up being The One....

Also simply ignore any of the "grip angle" and "awful trigger" drivel and go out and learn how to shoot.

That's a pretty good center of gravity to work off of, right there.

Grip angle speaks to physiological interface, and nobody can tell you, sight-unseen, that X or Y isn't gonna fit your hand, and that's operating under the fallacy that what's "comfortable" is going to net you the best results, i.e., rounds where you want them to go, at will. To wit: I have smallish hands, and I, like lots of others I know, use the biggest backstraps on our M&Ps. Does it "feel" right? Physically, hell, no, but better groups at greater distances and w/faster splits trumps "feel." Point being, one needs to build an experience base upon which to judge something that individual in nature.

Trigger....again, until you get to a certain point, it's questionable, at best, whether or not those kinds of alterations are gonna net you palpable performance results until you have a level of performance upon which to note differences.

I'm an M&P guy, that's trying to sell off his Glock, and I'll still say Glock. Specifically, a pre-mid-2010 G19/17.

Easy to find, inexpensive, easy to resell if you end up not liking it, "good" trigger right out of the box (that only gets better with shooting it), easy to find parts and ancillary equipment, and folks who can work them (if you end up wanting work done, after all), inexpensive mags. Swap out sights (calling them "usable" is about the kindest thing you can say about them...), buy ammo, buy training time, shoot the dog snot out of it, and get yourself to the point that you have a frame of reference upon which to judge how helpful suggestions of others may be.

It's a process, not a sum on a tally sheet. Part of both the fun AND the frustration of it....

Jaysop
01-09-12, 10:55
The one piece of equipment I would buy straight away is a Glock Rear Sight Tool. You'll need it to adjust your rear sights without bitching them up (whether stock or aftermarket) I find they are a great investment.

Dam! $100 + for a sight tool? WOW
Looks like something you need though.

How do you adjust elevation on a glock/SW?
Or do you just adjust POA?

newyork
01-09-12, 11:01
Its not often to find people who have bad things to say about glocks and I try to soak up all the negatives I can.

Thank you all again for the help. Ill jut keep it simple and stick with getting either the MP or Glock. If I hate it ill just pass it on to someone who likes it.
Ill be seeking out some purposeful training obviously and beginning learning what the ups and downs are.

NewYork I was also thinking about that as a benefit with the glock. But ill be moving south so ill be able to have what I want. How much are glock prebans going for anyway? I saw some on Gunbroker for something like $400 for 5?!

As for the triggers. They're polymer as well aren't they? I understand the most of the components are metal but do they get some kind of flex after a while? I'm just relating that question to a plastic clip I had to keep my headphones secured at the gym, eventually it just wore out, Bent in weird ways and was noneffective after a while. Does that happen with thee polymer guns?

Jesse, for $40, usually a preban can be had in very good shape. FML drop free is usually more and very rare but better.

TacCommE21
01-09-12, 11:19
As far as the sight tool, look around a little. I got a MGW for $80.

Trigger flex. 8K rounds through the 17, approaching 4K through the 19 and I haven't noticed any.

Elevation changes can be achieved with taller or shorter sights on a Glock, or changing POA as you mentioned. Check Ameriglo's website. There is a wealth of info there on Glock sights and their kit is very popular.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

sarge1967
01-09-12, 11:25

The triggers on all the guns mentioned are polymer I believe. That is not the issue. I have never heard of a Glock trigger failing. It is just about the "feel" of them.
Glocks are not bad weapons. They are very reliable. The gen 1-3's that is. The gen 4's have had some issues but Glock may have corrected them by now. I don't know. I moded my Glock for my needs. For example you should not shoot lead from a stock Glock barrel due to the rifleing. So I bought an aftermarket barrell that I could shoot lead in because I reload and lead is much cheaper to shoot. I average and have averaged 500 rounds a week for the past 18 years so reloading is a must for me.

I have never shot a S&W M&P but they are spoken fairly highly of. I have shot Sigs, H&K's, 1911's Glocks, XD's and Walthers. For me I liked the Walther so much I traded my Glock for one. After I put 1000 rounds through the Walther, my wife's pistol. There are drawbacks to it as well, not as many holster options, mags are expensive. But I was willing to live with those drawbacks.

Training is extreemly important. If you can go to a class or find some one on one instruction. Dry fire the crap out of it. You won't break anything. Learn the weapon just like you learned your M16 in the Corps. The main thing is learn correctly so you do not develop training scars.
Again if you are looking to become an LEO your dept may have rules about modifications to your duty weapon and you may be stuck with a stock whatever you get. There may be an approved weapons list you must go by so keep this in mind.

I do wish you well Devil Dog! I am sorry I am not a Glock "Fanboy" but they may be the cat's meow for you.

Semper Fi!

sarge1967
01-09-12, 11:28
Dam! $100 + for a sight tool? WOW
Looks like something you need though.

How do you adjust elevation on a glock/SW?
Or do you just adjust POA?

Most combat pistols do not allow elevation adjustment. You can change front sight posts or find the round that works best for your pistol.

bchand01
01-09-12, 11:55
I like and own both Glock and sw m&p. Both 40 caliber. I am one of the few I guess "lucky" ones that the stock sights worked fine for. It is a tool not a show piece so keep that in mind for a defensive gun. Both have perks and a fair amount of modifications available. Glock more so than SW. Similar price range for average joes. The m&p has interchangeable backstraps which is a nice feature but the Glock is a lot simpler. Go try them both and make your own judgement. That's the only way you'll be truely happy. Also read read and read some more. You'll learn what people like and don't like and why. Most cases you can make a judgement based on people's opinions after you are comfortable with the weapon on accessories and such.

Moltke
01-09-12, 12:25
What is available to you in Long Island, NY?

blackgt85
01-09-12, 12:43
I suppose I will be the first one to suggest one of the Beretta 92 variants. I have an M9A1 that has been 100% flawless (5200 rds as of last Saturday). Never had a problem with FTF or FTE. It is also the most accurate pistol I have ever fired. The way I look at it, if it's good enough for our military, its good enough for me. Never been a fan of Glocks myself, I prefer metal frames and a safety. But, to each their own.

On a side note, I have been considering a full size S&W M&P40. Problem is, I love the Berettas too much.

Since you won't be concealing, the size and weight of the Beretta shouldn't be an issue.

Do you have a range local to you where you are able to rent different pistols and find one you like?

Justin

newyork
01-09-12, 12:53
What is available to you in Long Island, NY?

As far as what? Pistols? Places to rent them? Specifics

Moltke
01-09-12, 12:57
Specifically,

What pistols are available to you to buy?
What are the high capacity options for those guns?
Pre-ban magazines? Availability? Cost?

Noodle
01-09-12, 13:06
I like the just buy something idea so that you can start shooting.

My first 9mm was a G19 because everyone said you had to buy a Glock. It is my least favorite 9. It works fine but it does not fit in my hand very well.

I then bought a P99. If I only could have one pistol, this would be it (or now a PPQ). Fits my hand perfectly (sorry, I think this is important), controls are in the right spot and make sense to me, and it is extremely accurate for a striker fired pistol.

I had to have a CZ 75B. All steel, very accurate, a blast to shoot.

You won't go wrong with any of the suggestions on this thread. Pick something up and start shooting!

newyork
01-09-12, 13:28
Specifically,

What pistols are available to you to buy?
What are the high capacity options for those guns?
Pre-ban magazines? Availability? Cost?

A lot of places have a crappy inventory and are overpriced here but a few shops have a decent selection at a premium. Not many rentals. M&P and Glock are everywhere but HK is not so common here. Anything over 10 rds must buse prebans so a newer gun that has a higher than 10 rd capacity would only be allowed 10 rd mags. Prebans mags are a fortune here so they should be bought online or privately.

Moltke
01-09-12, 13:50
I think it would be a priority for me to buy a high capacity handgun if I was the one making this choice. OP, you should take this into account. Probably means buy a Glock 19/17 and get a couple pre-ban mags for it. Learn to shoot it and adapt to the gun.

Arik
01-10-12, 07:14
If you're on the NYC side of LI is not that far from Philly. If have a day to kill you're more then welcome to try out my 9s. Im near Philly Pa (bout an hour drive)

Ive got....
CZ85
G19
M&P9
S&W 5946
Hi Power
Dp51 :confused:
kahr CW9

Just supply the ammo

If you are not interested in a carry gun, just range and HD I'd recommend a used Smith 5906 or 5946. The 3rd gen Smiths are dead nuts reliable and can be picked up for about $300. Their are heavy though, all steel, which is good for absorbing recoil and not so good for all day carry. Also they do have a mag release safety. Drop the mag and the gun wont fire.

Ideally though I think a great home defense is a cheap 12g pump shotgun. Used police shotguns go for around $200 +/- (at least in my area)