PDA

View Full Version : New Magpul PMAG 30 M3 and SL Floorplate

C45P312
01-08-12, 21:22
So it looks like Magpul is releasing a new pmag. Seems to be their 3rd installment of revised pmags. Along with that, their coming out with a slim line of floor plates only to be compatible with the new Pmag M3. I've found that properly maintained GI mags work just fine for me. Last thing I need is a dot matrix on the bottom of my magazine to be able to identify it from the rest of the mags on the ground. On top of that, they just fit better in my pouches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/C45P312/Firearms/scan0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/C45P312/Firearms/scan0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/C45P312/Firearms/scan0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/C45P312/Firearms/scan0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/C45P312/Firearms/scan0005.jpg

a0cake
01-08-12, 21:24
The slim floor plates look good. The fatass standard floor plate is one of the biggest reasons some people don't use PMAGS. I would like to see them come standard on the magazines though.

polymorpheous
01-08-12, 21:47
I'm very interested in these handstop kits.

hec912
01-08-12, 21:48
sweet! when are they expected to be out?

buckjay
01-08-12, 21:52
These look awesome. Love the low profile floor plates and the XTM hand stop looks really interesting.

Assuming release to be announced at SHOT?

C45P312
01-08-12, 22:00
"Coming Spring 2012"

JChops
01-08-12, 22:01
Bubbas and ninja warriors will be buying up those Maglinks by the bushel.

snakedoctor
01-08-12, 22:02
I hope theres more from Magpul :)

ALCOAR
01-08-12, 22:07
Awe yes, the Magpul of yesteryear, Bravo MP, Bravo:)

This stuff looks great, free of theory!

C45P312
01-08-12, 22:12
I hope theres more from Magpul :)

Like mentioned before, they have a lot of shotgun stuff along with the new stocks. Looks to be a rifle length moe stock as well. but yeah, who else knows until shot show.

MistWolf
01-08-12, 22:18
I can see it now- Bubba Ninjas vs Zombies

Some pretty innovative stuff from Magpul. If I were a quad rail & handstop guy, I'd be interested in the XTM panels & handstop. The XTM handstop is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" items

orionz06
01-08-12, 22:21
I can't wait for the droves of threads involving the value of the "old" Pmags now.

Stickman
01-08-12, 22:28
Nice, where did you download the catalog?

C45P312
01-08-12, 22:29
I can't wait for the droves of threads involving the value of the "old" Pmags now.

Yes, probably the only time I buy mags. I remember getting the first gen pmags for like $9/each when the "M" marked mags came out. Maybe after this, I can get the first gen mags for $7 a pop!

orionz06
01-08-12, 22:32
Yes, probably the only time I buy mags. I remember getting the first gen pmags for like $9/each when the "M" marked mags came out. Maybe after this, I can get the first gen mags for $7 a pop!

Or maybe they will be vintage and worth more, you never know with the way some of these people can be.

MistWolf
01-08-12, 22:36
Are these mags replacing the older style PMags?

C45P312
01-08-12, 22:38

No catalog. It was stapled piecees of paper at a gun shop I stopped in at Charlotte, NC. Pretty big store with lots of safes to choose from. Asked where they got it from, said they attended a gun show in SC. Tried to take it but couldn't . Took a pic with my phone instead lol

samuse
01-08-12, 22:50
Pretty impressive.

Every year they just dream up more shit to make out of plastic!

Failure2Stop
01-08-12, 23:03

As am I.

orionz06
01-08-12, 23:04
The XTM handstop appears to be what the AFG should have been.

Titleist
01-08-12, 23:24
Bubbas and ninja warriors will be buying up those Maglinks by the bushel.

Mag couplers are extremely popular among 3-gunners, there's a huge market for something like that.

VIP3R 237
01-08-12, 23:29

Thats my feeling as well, as much as I tried to like the afg I ended up taking it off because of the bulk. I cant wait to try the handstop though.

K1tt3n5
01-08-12, 23:32
Thats my feeling as well, as much as I tried to like the afg I ended up taking it off because of the bulk. I cant wait to try the handstop though.

Same, but I ended up liking it just fine. Will def prefer the new one.

Dunderway
01-08-12, 23:32

Me too. MagPul usually seems to put out small pieces like this at a very reasonable price as well. I've been wanting to try a handstop, but the few that have attracted me are off the map price wise IMO.

K1tt3n5
01-08-12, 23:36
Me too. MagPul usually seems to put out small pieces like this at a very reasonable price as well. I've been wanting to try a handstop, but the few that have attracted me are off the map price wise IMO.

The ad says 19.95...

VIP3R 237
01-08-12, 23:42
And also why dont the new mags come stock with the smaller floorplate?

viperashes
01-09-12, 00:13
And also why dont the new mags come stock with the smaller floorplate?

Marketing.

VIP3R 237
01-09-12, 00:16
Marketing.

Oh im sure of it, they just want the add-on sale.

buckjay
01-09-12, 00:28
Please let 10 of the new PMAGs fit in a Pelican 1200 :help:

MookNW
01-09-12, 00:28
My hacksaw met my AFG and spawned something that looks just like the xtm handstop.:smile:

GMZ
01-09-12, 00:40

I remember that, I got a few.....dozen from you that one time. GI mags also do it for me so all those mags are still in the wrap.

boomhower
01-09-12, 01:27
I spend $50 on a Springer coupler and they finally come out with one if there own. Don't get me wrong, the Springer is solid as a Rick and perfect for my needs but dang their pricey.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

TehLlama
01-09-12, 02:48
Yay, they're selling stuff pre-textured!!!

I seriously hope they do the same for the 870/590 stuff they'll inevitable churn out - that's a market that needs some of that special MP loving, but so far this looks good.

C45P312
01-09-12, 07:00
Pretty impressive.

Every year they just dream up more shit to make out of plastic!

I'm sure they're finding new ways and techniques to fuse/shift/mold the polymer together to create something more robust and stronger.

C45P312
01-09-12, 07:04
Yay, they're selling stuff pre-textured!!!

I seriously hope they do the same for the 870/590 stuff they'll inevitable churn out - that's a market that needs some of that special MP loving, but so far this looks good.

I don't remember seeing anything textured on their shotgun related stuff. From what I remember, they're coming out with a buttstock, foreend, buttstock pad, OEM buttstock pad adapater, front and rear sling mounts, and cheek riser.

kid presentable
01-09-12, 07:24
looking at the image it seems that the xtm handstop only mounts on picatinny rails. i wonder if/when they'll release one that directly mounts to the MOE hand guard.

My hacksaw met my AFG and spawned something that looks just like the xtm handstop.:smile:
if not i'll probably do this if i can pick up one used cheap

markm
01-09-12, 07:24
Maglink isn't backwards compatable. :rolleyes:

JChops
01-09-12, 10:41
Mag couplers are extremely popular among 3-gunners, there's a huge market for something like that.

I agree. All the products look solid and well thought out. Magpul is really on a roll over the past few months.

I was semi-joking only because you know most will never use Maglinks for anything except cool photos to post on forums for the "upcoming zombie apocalypse."

montrala
01-09-12, 11:10

Especially for higher handguards like on HK. I currently use cut down RVG as hand stop with XTM panels or Tangodown SCAR panel in front.

C45P312
01-09-12, 11:24
Maglink isn't backwards compatable. :rolleyes:

As well as the slim floor plate. It's only compatible with with the PMAG M3 it looks like.

markm
01-09-12, 11:26
As well as the slim floor plate. It's only compatible with with the PMAG M3 it looks like.

I have a lifetime supply of mags. ;) Now I might have to buy a few more.

C45P312
01-09-12, 11:26
I remember that, I got a few.....dozen from you that one time. GI mags also do it for me so all those mags are still in the wrap.

Yeah, I think I bought like $500 worth of mags. Can't wait to see the price on the Gen1 PMAGs once this hits the market.

ColdDeadHands
01-09-12, 13:09
The XTM Hand Stop kit looks like a winner, I believe the only other solution that gives the integrated look & feel is the Gear Sector Hand Stop with Tangodown panels. I will get one for sure to see how I like it.

ColdDeadHands
01-09-12, 13:10
I have a lifetime supply of mags. ;) Now I might have to buy a few more.
At least you'll be rich if we get another AWB with magazine restrictions.:D

scottryan
01-09-12, 13:36
Why don't they release the half length XTM panels by themselves?

I have been wanting something like this.

This is needed as you always have some uncovered rail space.

The_War_Wagon
01-09-12, 13:43

Ya' know... some of us LIKE the AFG. :D

I'm guessing the new floorplates WON'T work with OLD mags. If they'd figured out how to do that, they coulda sold those by the HUNDRED pack for some of us!

scottryan
01-09-12, 14:28
The Pmag should of had a slim floorplate on it from the start.

This new revision of the PMAG is still not nato compliant due to the tab on the back of it.

Dozer
01-09-12, 14:34
The flared floorplate comes standard since it is a readily identifiable feature that the PMAG has had from the beginning. It is also a proven design, is still the easiest to disassemble, and provides improved magazine handling and extraction from pouches. Of course, for extra tight double and triple pouches where staggering the flared floorplate doesn’t work, the new Slim-Line Floorplate is an option.

SWATcop556
01-09-12, 14:45
The older floorplate never bothered me but I also don't run double and triple mag carriers. Looks like some good improvements but I won't be selling all of my old ones in the EE either.

buckjay
01-09-12, 14:46
The flared floorplate comes standard since it is a readily identifiable feature that the PMAG has had from the beginning. It is also a proven design, is still the easiest to disassemble, and provides improved magazine handling and extraction from pouches. Of course, for extra tight double and triple pouches where staggering the flared floorplate doesn’t work, the new Slim-Line Floorplate is an option.

Does the slim line floor plate give the pmag the same width as a gi mag now?

Dozer
01-09-12, 14:48
Does the slim line floor plate give the pmag the same width as a gi mag now?

The slimline floor plate will give it the same as the PMag body.

Cameron
01-09-12, 15:18
The handstop kit looks good, I really wanted something like that and recently went with a Gear Sector Hand Stop made from aluminium. I would have preferred the polymer for lighter weight and the ability to be textured.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6208/6079771599_2af4e2de5a_z.jpg

I will probably grab the kit and try it.

Cameron

samuse
01-09-12, 15:42
I'm sure they're finding new ways and techniques to fuse/shift/mold the polymer together to create something more robust and stronger.

I don't doubt it.

Magpul's plastic is extremely chemical resistant for sure!

I really like Pmags and the MOE grip....

arizonaranchman
01-09-12, 19:38
Nice job by Magpul to continually address needs and improvements along the way. This looks like a good move to better an already outstanding product.

I've gone exclusively to Pmags anymore.

jeepinnc
01-09-12, 23:06
No catalog. It was stapled piecees of paper at a gun shop I stopped in at Charlotte, NC. Pretty big store with lots of safes to choose from. Asked where they got it from, said they attended a gun show in SC. Tried to take it but couldn't . Took a pic with my phone instead lol

Hyatts gun store?

C45P312
01-09-12, 23:39
Hyatts gun store?

I don't remember. It was to the left of I-85 if I remember correctly looking at my iphone lol. Pass the Tyvola Road exit. Some weird road name

jeepinnc
01-09-12, 23:53
I don't remember. It was to the left of I-85 if I remember correctly looking at my iphone lol. Pass the Tyvola Road exit. Some weird road name

Sounds about right. Wilkinson Blvd or Billy Graham pkwy? What was your impression of the place and staff if you don't mind me asking? I have no connection to there but was thinking about purchasing a product from the place.

C45P312
01-10-12, 00:00
Sounds about right. Wilkinson Blvd or Billy Graham pkwy? What was your impression of the place and staff if you don't mind me asking? I have no connection to there but was thinking about purchasing a product from the place.

Honestly, I just minded my own business. I was greeted, asked if I needed help with finding any in particular. Told them I was browsing, and was left alone the whole time I was there which is nice. I was there for a good while too. Prices seem good though I was looking the safe more than anything.

ZoneOne
01-10-12, 05:19
I just went with the hand stop from Impact Weapons but I will probably pick one of these new XTMs up as well. Looks decent. I didn't like the bulk of the AFG, or even the slimmer AFG2. Too much going on.

It's funny how my grips have gone from large to small to almost non-existent. Grip-pod, Tango down, troy stubby, and now the Impact Weapons handstop.

nml
01-11-12, 00:05
The slimline floor plate will give it the same as the PMag body.Are the new XTM panels the same dimensions or are they lower profile than before?

orionz06
01-11-12, 06:00
The Pmag should of had a slim floorplate on it from the start.

Maybe, but if I were running the company I doubt I would do anything differently. Sell a mag and then a floor plate? Hell yeah.

tfltackdriver
01-11-12, 13:51
And people who need to be able to grab and go when something goes bump in the night.

markm
01-11-12, 13:57
And people who need to be able to grab and go when something goes bump in the night.

Indeed. The pseudo tier 1 operators always scoff at the mag couplers... but they do have a niche.

blouzbee
01-11-12, 19:33
Love pmags, cant wait!

ColdDeadHands
01-11-12, 19:42
I wonder what happened to the 40 round pmags?

TacMedic556
01-11-12, 22:48
love it.

will buy several.

Spooky130
01-12-12, 10:22
Can't wait to see all the good stuff MP releases this year. Hopefully they stick with the latest business plan - build up a stockpile and then release so everyone can buy as much as they need/want.

I've also seen the new MP 870 stocks and the fixed MOE stock - I like what I see!

Any word if the new mags will replace the older versions outright?

duece71
01-12-12, 10:26
I hope this means that older PMAGs that are still out there for sale will come down in price. I can only hope.

Icculus
01-12-12, 13:10
Hyatts gun store?

If indeed that's the same store; the one time I checked it out the prices were outrageous. Perhaps they have changed their game but the time I looked they wanted $30 for a pmag. YMMV

Agree with others here that the handstop looks pretty sweet.

shua713
01-12-12, 13:48
I personally am a big fan of the AFG. I like the angle on it and I really have no need to go slimmer.

Moose-Knuckle
01-12-12, 17:44

Uh oh, did someone let the cat out of the bag or was this a controlled leak? :D

nml
01-12-12, 21:25
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1191532&postcount=17

MAP
01-29-12, 19:41
Any word if the new mags will replace the older versions outright?

According to a Magpul VP I spoke with at shot, they will not discontinue the current PMags.

Mike

urbanpioneer
03-01-12, 10:11
Is anyone on the DB aware of any release dates/rumors of the new magpul products discussed in this thread? Or really any other relevant info. I am very interested in the XTM hand stop kit and XTM enhanced panels, as I'm sure many of you are.
Thanks!

Wormydog1724
03-01-12, 10:23

The SF 60 and NC 48 extension are nice for this. The couplers come in handy if there's a mandi-mag change. Unless mag changes must come from the belt. I never use my mag coupler.

LoneWolfRonin
03-10-12, 11:51
Too bad the slim floorplates arent backward compatable!

threeheadeddog
03-10-12, 11:59
Just a question.

With the dot matrix on something like this, why bother marking mags then putting the failures in a log at all? Why not just use the dots for the failures?

It seems that logging mags is a bit of a "nerdy" but necessary way of keeping track of faulty equipment. With so much room to just keep a paint pen and mark the dots when there is a problem, why bother.

FWIW I have my USGI's marked so I can log failures.

I guess the round count log is nice for maintenance schedules.

buckjay
03-10-12, 12:56
Just a question.

With the dot matrix on something like this, why bother marking mags then putting the failures in a log at all? Why not just use the dots for the failures?

It seems that logging mags is a bit of a "nerdy" but necessary way of keeping track of faulty equipment. With so much room to just keep a paint pen and mark the dots when there is a problem, why bother.

FWIW I have my USGI's marked so I can log failures.

I guess the round count log is nice for maintenance schedules.

Never heard of people logging for failures. If I have a mag fail on me (and I'm 100% certain its the mag) then it gets tossed to range only pile.

Personally what I'd use the dot matrix for is categorizing my mags and the different ammo in them.

By the way, for those waiting, I asked Drake for an ETA on these on TOS and was told "late summer".

bullittmcqueen
03-10-12, 13:23
I'm really excited for the hand stop. Its perfect for my setup, I can ditch the bulky AFG and not have to spend a premium on a 1 inch piece of plastic from Knights.

D-R
04-25-12, 20:04
When do these get released into the wild? Spring is nearly over...

D-R

IYAAYASwarrior
04-25-12, 20:08

D-R

The site says Summer now...

MAP
04-25-12, 20:21
I wonder what happened to the 40 round pmags?

On TOS MagPul said now that the R&D for the new mag is complete they can continue with other mag projects.

Mike

outrider627
04-25-12, 20:35

D-R

Spring ends in June. It's still April.

feedramp
04-25-12, 21:01
Is the XTM delayed too, or just the mags? That's still showing Spring 2012 http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG511/46

doubleajaybrock
04-26-12, 10:14
The XTM hand stop does look interesting.

JMFM0911
04-27-12, 09:23

I just got the LaRue handstops in the mail yesterday. Haven't shot with them yet but am liking the feel.

Ronin64
04-27-12, 17:34
I'd like to change out the floor plates of my existing pmags..

deadlyfire
04-27-12, 19:07
I'd like to change out the floor plates of my existing pmags..

Primary reason why I have more GI mags than PMAGs.

irish105
06-18-12, 23:02
Guys question on the mag link. Recently a firearms instructor in my agency said they are no good unless the right mag is lower than the left so that the ejecting brass does not hit it and go back into the chamber inducing a malfunction. With the mags even it is already lower than the ejection port, and correct me if I'm wrong but unless something's wrong with the rifle the brass should be going up. I think his logic is from the old GI mag couplers that were made of straps and a spacer, allowing the mag to ride up. I have several hundred rounds through mine (with the mags even) and no issues. Anyone else have issue or malfunctions with theirs or is this just one of those "I heard from somewhere sometime some guy had this happen....."

Keep your heads down and your powder dry

LtNovakUSA
06-19-12, 15:19
Guys question on the mag link. Recently a firearms instructor in my agency said they are no good unless the right mag is lower than the left so that the ejecting brass does not hit it and go back into the chamber inducing a malfunction. With the mags even it is already lower than the ejection port, and correct me if I'm wrong but unless something's wrong with the rifle the brass should be going up. I think his logic is from the old GI mag couplers that were made of straps and a spacer, allowing the mag to ride up. I have several hundred rounds through mine (with the mags even) and no issues. Anyone else have issue or malfunctions with theirs or is this just one of those "I heard from somewhere sometime some guy had this happen....."

Keep your heads down and your powder dry

One of the big issues with running the coupler is that the top round in the magazine can slide out forward making a mess of a quick reload. that would probably be more of an issue than ejected cases hitting the mag and going back in. Also the rounds are exposed and can get alot of dirt in them if your running around in a dynamic situation, hitting the ground and banging the gun around. Probably wouldn't be an issue with normal range use, but for combat I wouldnt. Something like the redi mag would be ok, as it covers the top of the magazine keeping dirt out, and keeping that top round secured in the magazine.

badness
06-19-12, 15:39
wait what? So the new pmag's aren't COMING with the new floor plate? What kind of horse shit is that?

Brahmzy
06-19-12, 15:42
wait what? So the new pmag's aren't COMING with the new floor plate? What kind of horse shit is that?

Profit man, profit. Magpul is an ingenious profit machine.

Resistance is futile.

Nmate
06-19-12, 15:42

They were never going to come with the slim baseplates, at least that is the impression I got from various Magpul SHOT Show videos. They're an add-on item (ie Ranger plates).

urbanpioneer
08-01-12, 08:41
Bumping... Anyone aware of any updates on availability? Any other info?

Brahmzy
08-01-12, 09:12
As per usual with MagPul products, tight-lipped is the word.

We won't til they're here, unfortunately.

Part of me is wanting about 50 of these things just in case some dummy passes some dumb hi-cap ban.

badness
08-01-12, 17:52
They were never going to come with the slim baseplates, at least that is the impression I got from various Magpul SHOT Show videos. They're an add-on item (ie Ranger plates).

as i said before. Horse....shit.

They're offering an added cost accessory that doesn't have any added benefit except to fix a problem that pmags have.

cqbdriver
08-01-12, 20:05
as i said before. Horse....shit.

They're offering an added cost accessory that doesn't have any added benefit except to fix a problem that pmags have.

After seeing your concerns, I called Magpul today & was able to confirm that there is no requirement to purchase the new mag. It is purely optional. I hope this relieves any of your concerns.

tctlrld
08-01-12, 20:27
As per usual with MagPul products, tight-lipped is the word.

We won't til they're here, unfortunately.

Part of me is wanting about 50 of these things just in case some dummy passes some dumb hi-cap ban.

Same here, I'm not normally rattled by any of the gun-grabber rhetoric but in the current climate I wouldn't be too shocked if something happened. Hope to stock up on M3s soon.

Vgex2
08-01-12, 20:27
After seeing your concerns, I called Magpul today & was able to confirm that there is no requirement to purchase the new mag. It is purely optional. I hope this relieves any of your concerns.

Ha. That's good.

SPQR476
08-02-12, 00:07
Testing guys...testing. No mag will be released before its time. All the I's are being dotted and the T's crossed. Being pretty cautious with this, maybe to a fault, as you can see by the release date drift. I can't say much, though it's hard to stay mum on these.

Standard floor plates will be slimmer than the Rev 2's, but not true "slim line". They split the difference, and for good reasons.

Getting very close to launch on a lot of other things.

There are some very exciting things cooking behind these walls that we've managed to keep on the QT. Apologies for the delays, but stay tuned....

irishhitman
08-02-12, 11:06
Guys... I am old school and been shooting the M16 platform since '84. Still love my metal mags, but you have to love innovation and Magpul has been there. They have made some great products that have enhanced the most modular weapons platform of all time. I say create as much diverse crap as you can... if it makes my gun better or if someone else will like something I do not, but makes their AR a better fit to them, then keep making money. We all profit from it!

1911-A1
08-02-12, 11:17
Testing guys...testing. No mag will be released before its time. All the I's are being dotted and the T's crossed. Being pretty cautious with this, maybe to a fault, as you can see by the release date drift. I can't say much, though it's hard to stay mum on these.

Standard floor plates will be slimmer than the Rev 2's, but not true "slim line". They split the difference, and for good reasons.

There are some very exciting things cooking behind these walls that we've managed to keep on the QT. Apologies for the delays, but stay tuned....

Oh, good. So I can expect the PDR on shelves by the fall?

That's how I'm choosing to interpret that. ;)

redone13
08-02-12, 14:59
Guys... I am old school and been shooting the M16 platform since '84. Still love my metal mags, but you have to love innovation and Magpul has been there. They have made some great products that have enhanced the most modular weapons platform of all time. I say create as much diverse crap as you can... if it makes my gun better or if someone else will like something I do not, but makes their AR a better fit to them, then keep making money. We all profit from it!

Wise words.

irishhitman
08-02-12, 15:28
Thanks redone13

badness
08-02-12, 19:08

you're right. I'll buy lancers instead.

cegha
08-02-12, 19:53

Soon needs to be real sooon. I got money saved up & just started browsing a few days ago & saw a new pmag was coming out. Looking to get quite a few of these, but need to get it done soon. It is an election year you know. Not looking good for anyone. Though the NRA is strong as ever from some recent readings, so at least we got that going.

Recently saw this from CTD.
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=24254
"The vote to include S.A. 2575 on the Cybersecurity Act or not is expected next week. If S.A. 2575 gets included in the Cybersecurity Act, and the Cybersecurity Act passes, it will be illegal to produce new high capacity magazines."

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/posts.aspx?postID=33119
Seems it failed to pass or move forward though, which is very good. However they are only delaying until they return in Sept. They will resume talk over it. Hopefully the CO situation will have calmed down some by then.

Magpul, you better have these out before then. I want my stockpile full before any bans come around.

overcome
08-02-12, 21:07
agreed , The lovely governer of IL is trying to push a ban through now on AR's and "hi-cap" mags and I would like to get a few before that happens, if it does.

irishhitman
08-02-12, 21:10
agreed , The lovely governer of IL is trying to push a ban through now on AR's and "hi-cap" mags and I would like to get a few before that happens, if it does.

MOVE! The more of you that leave that God Forsaken state the better.
You have one of the highest murder rate cities... yet guns are outlawed there.... proof that bans DO NOT WORK> are they going to ban cars because of Drunk Drivers?? LOL!

overcome
08-02-12, 21:17
believe me I am working on it, just not many jobs out there for a 30yr old working on a college degree. lol I used that argument (drinking and driving )today at work ... nobody talked to me for the rest of the day. As far as the murder rate goes...in the words of my dad (retired CPD) "whats the media getting all excited about, this is nothing, in the 60's and 70's chicago avg 700+ murders per year"

ForTehNguyen
10-18-12, 20:39
Magpul is proud to announce the release of the GEN M3 PMAG and new pricing for the existing PMAG, which will continue to be produced as part of the MOE line.

The existing PMAG will now be priced at an MSRP of $12.95 and an MSRP of $15.95 for the Window version, and will now be known as the PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M2 MOE. Once existing supplies of the GEN M2 PMAGs are exhausted, they will begin shipping in MOE packaging, and will not include dust covers. All colors will continue to be available.

The PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M3 will begin shipping in black only on 1 Nov, 2012, at an MSRP of $14.95. The Window version will be available soon, at an MSRP of $17.95.

Stay tuned for additional content and of course…us giving away PMAGs.

Learn more here: http://magpul.com/index.php?id=154

The GEN M3 PMAG is from the PMAG lineage that you already know, but refined and battle-hardened by over 5 years of combat experience. The list of improvements is long, but you can learn more about the GEN M3 development and improvements at:

http://www.magpul.com/pmagm3

18-Oct-12 17:32
PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M3

THE PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M3, 5.56X45

The PMAG 30 GEN M3 is a polymer magazine for AR15/M4 compatible firearms with an expanded feature set and compatibility compared to our earlier PMAGs. Advances in material technology and manufacturing processes help to make this the most reliable and durable PMAG to date.

Here at Magpul, when we make a product, we have a hard time leaving it alone. We continue to test, to collect feedback from end-users, and to find ways to improve. The original PMAG benefitted from these efforts with the MREV improvements in 2009. Since then, we’ve continued the quest for constant evolution. With millions of magazines in worldwide military service and a self-critical eye in our engineering department, the M3 project started in 2011. Over a full year later, we are finally ready to show our hand.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT, AND WHY

Polymer technology is constantly advancing, and we are continually pushing the boundaries of what is possible with new materials, manufacturing methods, and quality control. What we’ve arrived at with the GEN M3 is a magazine that is significantly stronger in all areas. Performance in feed lip impact, spine strength, side impact, cold and hot weather impacts, and crush testing have all improved significantly over previous generations—to the point that we think you’ll find the results impressive, to say the least. You’ll also see a new, innovative window material with superior chemical resistance and durability properties. We will be releasing videos of some of the testing during the coming weeks, so you can see for yourself what the new GEN M3 is capable of.

The external geometry of the GEN M3 is slightly different than the previous generation of PMAG. In order to have compatibility with the widest variety of firearms platforms, the front stop on the magazine has been relocated for full compatibility with the HK 416/IAR/M27 and the SA-80. A new, enhanced over-insertion stop has been added to the rear spine of the magazine. This new stop is compatible with nearly all magazine well geometries and provides support for rough handling of the loaded firearm as well as allowing extremely aggressive magazine changes with no danger of malfunctions or damage caused by over-insertion. Our increases in material technology and manufacturing have also permitted gains in strength while allowing narrower external dimensions, for greater drop-free compatibility with magazine wells on the tighter side of the tolerance range.

Internal geometry received an update as well. Proven constant curve geometry is combined with a new, low-friction, four-way anti-tilt follower designed to improve on our already excellent adverse conditions functioning, especially in dust or grit environments, thanks to generous clearances. The new follower color is gray, to distinguish it from previous follower generations.

There are numerous other improvements and added features. First, the magazine catch area is reinforced both for extra strength and for improved function with a wider range of magazine catch tolerances. In keeping with the quest for compatibility, the bolt catch notch has been expanded to be compatible with the FN SCAR while still showing significant strength and durability gains in this critical area. On the outside, you’ll notice improved texture on both the front and back spines, as well as slightly modified side ribs to enhance handling characteristics when wet, dirty, or when under stress. The new floor plate design shows significant strength increases over previous designs while being slimmer for easier side-by-side carry and also having features to increase drainage for maritime operations. In the “nice to have” category, there is a paint pen dot matrix on the bottom sides of each magazine to allow consistent magazine marking that resists wear due to rough handling. This feature makes magazine marking easier and all but eliminates having to re-mark magazines after friction and solvents have worn your original markings.

All of this talk of improvements, strength, and durability really means nothing if the magazine doesn’t feed, and that is what we are most excited about. It’s easy to design and build a plastic brick that fits in a magazine well…and much hard er to build a true asset to a weapons system that functions flawlessly across a wide spectrum of temperature and condition extremes with various ammunition types, across numerous platforms, extreme cyclic rates, and other variables. The GEN M3 has exceeded even our own high expectations in reliability, compatibility, and endurance testing. Tests like 6,000 rounds through a single magazine, dirt/sand/grit testing, drop, crush, and impact testing, temperature extreme testing, extensive field testing…all per applicable military standards, and all demonstrating the performance we demand from the next generation to wear the PMAG name.

WE’RE NOT FINISHED

We have a series of new developments and additions to the line that will be released soon, so keep an eye on our social media, sign up for our newsletter, and follow this blog for the latest news on what is coming next from honest engineering and American manufacturing.

vicious_cb
10-19-12, 01:13
Does that mean the old M revision Pmags will be priced lower when the M3's hit?

SPQR476
10-19-12, 01:26
The GEN 2 PMAG price change takes effect immediately. Existing inventory will ship at $12.95 MSRP and $15.95 MSRP (window) with dust covers and in the current packaging until they are gone. After that, the GEN 2 PMAGs will ship in MOE packaging without dust covers, still at the new reduced prices.

GEN3 PMAGs will cost exactly what the old ones did...$14.95 and $17.95 at MSRP. They should be available to purchase from distribution and selected online retailers on the release date, 1 Nov, 2012.

markm
10-19-12, 08:15
Christ! Picking mags is getting as complicated as sorting through all the Buttstock options! :sarcastic:

nimdabew
10-19-12, 09:18
Christ! Picking mags is getting as complicated as sorting through all the Buttstock options! :sarcastic:

No shit.

1911-A1
10-19-12, 09:38

Yes, but these are better. They have a beefed-up mag body to withstand being launched into the next county by shooters doing the "Costa Flip" mag change technique.

TacMedic556
10-19-12, 10:00
:lol::lol::lol:

Yes, but these are better. They have a beefed-up mag body to withstand being launched into the next county by shooters doing the "Costa Flip" mag change technique.

I seldom use these weird emoticons or whatever they are called, but this was awesome!! Always hated the "Costa Mag Flip". So flippin, yes literally "flippin" retarded.

SPQR476
10-19-12, 10:02

We've incorporated a fail-safe anti-flip device...if they are flipped out of a mag well during a mag change, they automatically teleport into the range bag of someone who doesn't flip their mags, leaving the original shooter thinking he just flipped it too far, and can't find it. :blink:

og556
10-19-12, 11:35
Have you guys tested these with lowers with flared Mag wells ?

I have a Noveske gen 2 lower which will not lock back on empty using pre rev m pmags if I shoot from prone and put any weight on them.

Since these are slimmer I imagine they will do the same as the pre rev m.

S. Galbraith
10-19-12, 11:40
We've incorporated a fail-safe anti-flip device...if they are flipped out of a mag well during a mag change, they automatically teleport into the range bag of someone who doesn't flip their mags, leaving the original shooter thinking he just flipped it too far, and can't find it. :blink:

Will these 3rd generation improvements also be adapted to other calibers like .308? Also, LWRC says you guys are going to make some 6.8 SPC magazines for their new dedicated lower receiver. Will these magazines incorporate the 3rd generation improvements? Thanks.

SPQR476
10-19-12, 13:07
Will these 3rd generation improvements also be adapted to other calibers like .308? Also, LWRC says you guys are going to make some 6.8 SPC magazines for their new dedicated lower receiver. Will these magazines incorporate the 3rd generation improvements? Thanks.

Lots more GEN M3 stuff to come.

The LWRCI mag is GEN M3, with dimensions optimal for 6.8SPC round stacking.

It takes a little trimming on the stop for the GEN M3 to work in a Noveske Gen 2 lower.

djmorris
10-19-12, 14:10
Awaiting confirmation on whether or not they these will run in Troy's 5.56 carbine. Current generation ones won't fit, at least not in the billet lower ones.

Grease Monkey
10-19-12, 14:55
Lots more GEN M3 stuff to come.

The LWRCI mag is GEN M3, with dimensions optimal for 6.8SPC round stacking.

It takes a little trimming on the stop for the GEN M3 to work in a Noveske Gen 2 lower.

Good info. I'm running Noveske gen 2 lowers so I'm glad they'll work.

bzdog
10-19-12, 15:00

Could you post a couple of pictures showing the needed change?

Thanks,

-john

SPQR476
10-19-12, 15:54
Could you post a couple of pictures showing the needed change?

Thanks,

-john

I haven't done it personally, but one of John's Engineers talked to Drake about the issue, and that is the information that was passed. I think some of our test team was messing with it...I'll check to see if they have something more concrete.

og556
10-19-12, 16:19
Thanks for the response. That is a bit disappointing.

ForTehNguyen
10-19-12, 16:27
great prices here got the outgoing model if you are keen in buying in the 100s

Black:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-CASE-p/mag211-black-(case100).htm

FDE:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/mag211-fde-(case100).htm

Window:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/mag210-black-window-case100.htm

S. Galbraith
10-19-12, 16:31
Thanks for the response. That is a bit disappointing.

I'd be more disappointed in Noveske not making mag well dimensions closer in line with the majority of other manufacturers. Even so, trimming a $15 magazine to better fit your weapon isn't THAT big of a deal. Not like you are making changes to a $50 H&K steel magazine.

og556
10-20-12, 00:45
Yep. Just a little bit. Ill just have to build up a stash of rev m mags. They have been great.

SPQR476
10-20-12, 09:06
The MREV or GEN M2 mags will continue to be available...not going away.

Beat Trash
10-20-12, 11:26

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to buy a bigger range bag!

Ring
10-24-12, 12:24
http://soldiersystems.net/2012/10/23/pmag-gen-m3usgi-feedlip-drop-test/

PMAG GEN M3/USGI Feedlip Drop Test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=73KXKXddWz0

Magpul conducted a demonstration of their new M3 PMAG technology.

This is a video from our feed lip drop testing. With a sample size of one each in this video, it is still an "unscientific” demonstration, but we didn’t think you’d want to see hours of magazines falling. This test is very typical of the overall results. This is the loaded magazine room temperature feed lip drop on concrete, from 6 feet, PMAG 30 GEN M3 vs USGI, tan follower, followed by full auto function fire. All drops were from a fixture to control impact angle and release. Test firearm is an HK 416.

Ironman8
10-24-12, 12:46
My question is how would the Gen2 mags compare in this drop test. As far as I knew, all versions of the Pmag performed better in tests like these when compared to the GI mag. Is the polymer really that much stronger?

Ring
10-24-12, 13:07
gen'2s had a tendency to split...

SPQR476
10-24-12, 15:53
The standard for feed lip drop testing is 5', and these tests were from 6'. The new PMAG has tested significantly stronger in all rough handling tests, including cold weather, hot weather, full weapon drop, etc., and is boringly reliable in endurance and compatibility testing.

The endurance testing takes a single mag to 6,000 rounds, and we do that in various platforms.

I am surrounded by PMAGs on a daily basis, so I kind of take them for granted, but these have me rather impressed.

Side impact video will be up today.

Ironman8
10-24-12, 16:32
The standard for feed lip drop testing is 5', and these tests were from 6'. The new PMAG has tested significantly stronger in all rough handling tests, including cold weather, hot weather, full weapon drop, etc., and is boringly reliable in endurance and compatibility testing.

The endurance testing takes a single mag to 6,000 rounds, and we do that in various platforms.

I am surrounded by PMAGs on a daily basis, so I kind of take them for granted, but these have me rather impressed.

Side impact video will be up today.

Don't get me wrong, I've always used Pmags, and will most likely continue to do so, but I was just under the impression that Pmags always beat GI mags anyway. Your answer addressed my question. Thanks.

Couple more if you don't mind.

Has the issue with rounds ejecting out of the top of the mag (when impacted from the bottom) been addressed?

And is there still issues with the "colored" (FDE, OD, ect) polymer being weaker/more brittle than the black colored polymer mags?

Thanks.

SPQR476
10-24-12, 17:09
They've always had significant advantages to the USGI, the GEN M3 just takes it a step further. The side impact test, in particular, was one that the Gen2 and even Gen1 handled easily.

SpankMonkey
10-24-12, 17:15
Youtube says the video has been removed. I really want to see this test.
I am really on the fence on changing mags.

SPQR476
10-24-12, 17:36
Sorry, we had some type-Os in the titles--I'm a poor editor, apparently. We re-posted the video under a different name due to YouTubes functionality...couldn't just swap it. New link is on our FB.

Ironman8
10-24-12, 17:40
They've always had significant advantages to the USGI, the GEN M3 just takes it a step further. The side impact test, in particular, was one that the Gen2 and even Gen1 handled easily.

Thanks, if possible, I'd like some insight into my questions above.

SPQR476
10-24-12, 17:45
Side Impact - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzeUCulrl0
Feedlip Drop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxYXTYohPI

Issue with rounds coming out the top would be a warranty issue on any generation of PMAG. I slap mine out of habit after loading, and have had no issues, but I never had any issues with EMAGs or older PMAGs, either. Not saying it's impossible, but if your mag does that, we'll swap it out, no matter how old.

We're going to release the GEN M3 and GEN M3 WINDOW in black only for now, with some other options in testing with encouraging results.

Ironman8
10-24-12, 18:36
Side Impact - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzeUCulrl0
Feedlip Drop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxYXTYohPI

Issue with rounds coming out the top would be a warranty issue on any generation of PMAG. I slap mine out of habit after loading, and have had no issues, but I never had any issues with EMAGs or older PMAGs, either. Not saying it's impossible, but if your mag does that, we'll swap it out, no matter how old.

We're going to release the GEN M3 and GEN M3 WINDOW in black only for now, with some other options in testing with encouraging results.

Copy that. Thanks.

Bowser
10-24-12, 18:59
Are you guys still going to make the EMag? How does the size of the M3 compare to that of the EMag?

SPQR476
10-24-12, 19:26
Still making the EMAG. Top portion is very similar to EMAG. Bottom portion is slightly thicker due to ribs and texture.

ForTehNguyen
10-24-12, 22:07
M3 drop impact tests vs USGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxYXTYohPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzeUCulrl0

DBR
10-24-12, 22:44
Will there be a 20rd M3 anytime soon?

SPQR476
10-25-12, 00:14
M3 drop impact tests vs USGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxYXTYohPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzeUCulrl0

Thank you for embedding.

SPQR476
10-25-12, 00:19
Will there be a 20rd M3 anytime soon?

Gen M3 technology will be working its way across the line soon, and there will be some line expansions.

urbanpioneer
10-25-12, 14:09
I do believe this man just let it slip that a 30+ round magazine is in the works!!!!!! Hell yeah!:ph34r:

SPQR476
10-25-12, 17:22
PMAG GEN M3/USGI Crush Test w/ 9000lb Unimog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5kphqX_80

Torked
10-26-12, 04:03
Excited! I'd love to see a 60rd :D

Thanks for the vids!

markm
10-26-12, 08:11
Excited! I'd love to see a 60rd :D

That's a good idea. A Pmag version of the Surefire quad stack would be fresh, Yo!

And working with injection gives you a lot more flexibility in design than stamping the bodies.

ForTehNguyen
10-26-12, 17:24
PMAG GEN M3/USGI Test Video Installment #4 -- Heat and Pressure Test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnPciwXoIdQ&feature=g-u-u)

vicious_cb
10-28-12, 04:44
On a side note, its remarkable how much bolt bounce the 416s have in these slow mo videos. Ive been saying for years, tungsten powder buffers are garbage. :D

filthy phil
10-28-12, 06:28
I just pre-ordered for $14.20 tmd:D

Ring
10-28-12, 09:59
On a side note, its remarkable how much bolt bounce the 416s have in these slow mo videos. Ive been saying for years, tungsten powder buffers are garbage. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=575Q0O41u5s

the st-t2 buffer has "near" the same bounce at a H looking at this... with some load, gun combos...

ForTehNguyen
10-30-12, 18:12
heat and pressure test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SnPciwXoIdQ

full weapon drop test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQmHj5mTTg&feature=channel&list=UL

-60degF drop test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVobY9KdeHc&feature=g-u-u

BTW just posted on facebook:

PMAG GEN M3 improvements at work in the new PMAG 30 SPC, designed for the new dedicated 6.8 SPC platform coming from LWRC International. The magwell spec will also be released for other manufacturers who want to take advantage of the new mag.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/176627_507482512597436_1456305816_o.jpg

ForTehNguyen
11-01-12, 18:13
AIM has them in stock now same price as the previous pmags

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MMAG557BLK&name=Magpul+GEN+M3+5.56%2f.223+AR15%2fM16+30rd+PMAG&groupid=6

filthy phil
11-01-12, 18:40
got 2 more pre-ordered $12.20 tmd:D

Warp
11-01-12, 19:35
Got some emails on Gen M3 PMAGs today. In stock at Brownells and 44mag, same $14 price tag as the last ones

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-pmag-30-gen-m3-prod54911.aspx?ICID=8013

http://www.44mag.com/product/magpul_pmag_m3_gen_3/pmag_magazines

VIP3R 237
11-01-12, 21:14
AIM has them in stock now same price as the previous pmags

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MMAG557BLK&name=Magpul+GEN+M3+5.56%2f.223+AR15%2fM16+30rd+PMAG&groupid=6

I ordered 4 this morning as soon as I saw the announcement on facebook.

Stickman
11-01-12, 23:46
Sized for iPad & iPhone.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8146605440_24799011c1_o.jpg

jesuvuah
11-02-12, 06:34
That's a good idea. A Pmag version of the Surefire quad stack would be fresh, Yo!

And working with injection gives you a lot more flexibility in design than stamping the bodies.

I like the sound of that also

WS6
11-02-12, 07:07
Sized for iPad & iPhone.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8146605440_24799011c1_o.jpg

These won't work in my Gen 2 Noveske lower, will they?

SPQR476
11-02-12, 07:19
According to noveske, you have to take a hair off the over insertion stop with a file to get it to work in a Gen 2 lower.

WS6
11-02-12, 07:29
According to noveske, you have to take a hair off the over insertion stop with a file to get it to work in a Gen 2 lower.

That little nubbin on the back of the mag near the top rib? Doesn't look like that would compromise the mag in the least, if that's what you mean. Good stuff!

bzdog
11-02-12, 09:40

A picture of what needs to be trimmed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-john

Mauser KAR98K
11-03-12, 11:22
FYI: BCM USA is selling Gen 2's for $10.95. Just got 10.

Voodoo_Man
11-03-12, 12:14
fuuu I need a knights AR

:D

Warp
11-03-12, 12:55
FYI: BCM USA is selling Gen 2's for $10.95. Just got 10.

Over Halloween Primary Arms had them for $10.41 shipped. ;)

Mauser KAR98K
11-03-12, 13:12
Over Halloween Primary Arms had them for $10.41 shipped. ;)

Dang it.

Warp
11-03-12, 13:19
Dang it.

Get on their mailing list!

I hear they'll have black friday and/or cyber monday.

titanse05
11-03-12, 14:09
Just ordered a bunch of Rev M Pmags for $9.99 each shipped (when you spend $150) at www.hamlundtactical.com

Cartel
11-03-12, 22:33
Just ordered a bunch of Rev M Pmags for $9.99 each shipped (when you spend $150) at www.hamlundtactical.com

Thank you for sharing my friend. Lock + load!

Suburban
11-04-12, 23:07
Will there ever be high-visibility followers for PMags?

og556
11-08-12, 07:22
I'm just happy Magpul is going to continue to sell the rev m pmag. I understand the advantages of the M3 but since it is not compatible with my gen 2 Noveske lower ill keep buying the older style mags.

It looks like there are a lot of dealers who are selling the older mags for great prices.

markm
11-08-12, 07:41
Will there ever be high-visibility followers for PMags?

I've found those things to be completely fouled and dirty after just a few shoots. My orange followers are gray with a subdued orange tint in the background.

markm
11-08-12, 07:53

Nice tip, Ray Jay! Thanks. I had given many of my pmags out to deploying Soldiers in the family. I'm going to Restock my garage cabinet a little bit.

titanse05
11-08-12, 08:33
Thank you for sharing my friend. Lock + load!

Nice tip, Ray Jay! Thanks. I had given many of my pmags out to deploying Soldiers in the family. I'm going to Restock my garage cabinet a little bit.My pleasure guys. FYI, I ordered a couple M3s to try with my REVM order and they should ship sometime next week. Hamlund Tactical shipped the rest of my order seperately so the M3 mags didn't hold up the rest of the order.

Excited! I'd love to see a 60rd :DYou and about a million other Magpul fans.

MrSmitty
11-08-12, 10:41
Are the M3s shipping from anywhere right now? Most of the retailers I frequent don't have them yet.

SPQR476
11-08-12, 10:50
First batch that we shipped disappeared in a blink. We're approaching full capacity now. Should be well distributed by mid-Nov.

ForTehNguyen
11-09-12, 15:26
Are the M3s shipping from anywhere right now? Most of the retailers I frequent don't have them yet.

AIM had a shipment, which I got 10 mags from, but they are sold out (edit, seems like they have some again)

Palmetto has some:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/magpul-pmag-30-m3-5-56x45-magazine-ar15-m16.html

Warp
11-09-12, 16:37

https://www.primaryarms.com/MAGPUL_PMAG_30rd_NON_Window_GEN_M3_Black_FREE_SH_p/mag557-blk.htm

Dano5326
11-09-12, 17:26
I got a pile of these for T&E. So far so good. Keeping up with gas & piston guns.

Appears very tough, more resistant to impact on lips and sides. It is a bit smaller on the base than emags, some will like that.

These would have exceptional value in the case of carrying a non-traditional manner. AKA the snap cover protects the mag from random crap getting in it when thrown in a pocket or odd stowage, and takes protects/tension off the feed lips, a vital area.

The dot matrix is handy for numbering, ID'ing the magazine. So it can be canned if/when issues arise. Also, to confirm it's one of your tested mags...

Weight:
M3- 5.1oz / 145g
Emag- 4.7oz / 134g
USGI 4.25oz / 121g (new tan follower Center Ind)

VIP3R 237
11-09-12, 18:39
These mags have a problem with the seekins lowers, you have to shave a little bit off the over insertion tab to clear the lowers built in trigger guard.

That being said, they work wonders with standard lowers.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20121109_165612.jpg

MrSmitty
11-09-12, 19:12
Thanks for the links, picked some up from Primary Arms. Can't wait to get my hands on them...

Any issues with these in an AX556?

ForTehNguyen
11-09-12, 21:05
10 of mine came in from AIM. I used a silver sharpie to number them, but I havent been to the range with them yet.

BufordTJustice
11-09-12, 21:32
Got one in the mail today with more on the way. They hand-cycle rounds very smoothly. NO hang-ups...just very smooth feeding.

I'm not able to deflect the feed lips under finger pressure as much as on the other PMAG revM's I have. The over-insertion stop will also work very well when using the mag as a monopod in the prone position.

All in all, they seem to be some solid improvements in the design with an appreciably minimum amount of flash. I'm pleased so far.

Warp
11-09-12, 21:47
Got one in the mail today with more on the way. They hand-cycle rounds very smoothly. NO hang-ups...just very smooth feeding.

I'm not able to deflect the feed lips under finger pressure as much as on the other PMAG revM's I have. The over-insertion stop will also work very well when using the mag as a monopod in the prone position.

All in all, they seem to be some solid improvements in the design with an appreciably minimum amount of flash. I'm pleased so far.

Just as soon as we get those new ranger plates, I'll be all about trying this. :)

BufordTJustice
11-09-12, 21:53
Just as soon as we get those new ranger plates, I'll be all about trying this. :)

We think alike. :D

GUNSLINGER733
11-09-12, 23:12
I tried my m3 out yesterday evening. Worked fine. I like it thus far

Warp
11-12-12, 00:23
I got some rounds in with one of my M3 PMAGs today. Nothing really to report. That's the goal, right? :)

Well, actually, since Gen M3 20 rounders has been brought up...I had a failure to feed today. First malfunction of any kind with the rifle (1,600 rounds). I was using a March 2009 20 round PMAG. I have very few rounds through that magazine...and I think it will stay that way.

MrSmitty
11-13-12, 20:20

Received mine today. Didn't get any range time with them yet but for the record, no issues with the AX556.

justlikeanyoneelse
11-13-12, 23:43
Absolutely none, suppressed and unsuppressed.

Just waiting on the new ranger plates.

MrSmitty
11-14-12, 06:53
Can't wait till I can get my hands on some windowed FDE ones with ranger plates...

I can't remember whether it was mentioned or not but I'm guessing we will see that stuff sometime after SHOT?

Absolutely none, suppressed and unsuppressed.

Just waiting on the new ranger plates.

SPQR476
11-14-12, 07:18
Windows Jan 1st. No set date for colors, but working on it.

justlikeanyoneelse
11-14-12, 12:27
Anything you can tell us on the ETA for the new ranger plates?

masakari
11-14-12, 12:47

oh god that sucks. i have 16 on order from LaRue.
guess ill be waiting a while! haha

SPQR476
11-14-12, 19:02
We might beat that date, but we're trying to under promise and over deliver on the release dates. The next M3 release is in about 2 weeks. Window is taking longer, as we were vetting new materials. The new window is worth the wait.

masakari
11-15-12, 21:51
We might beat that date, but we're trying to under promise and over deliver on the release dates. The next M3 release is in about 2 weeks. Window is taking longer, as we were vetting new materials. The new window is worth the wait.

I totally understand, I will be patiently waiting... hopefully it is soon!

C4IGrant
11-16-12, 13:37
Got a shipment of M3's in today!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MAG557

C4

markm
11-16-12, 13:42
OH sure... after I already placed an order. :rolleyes:

Send me 3 dozen free for T&E. Overnight if possible.

titanse05
11-16-12, 14:39
I got my 2 yesterday and I am pleased to report that they do appear to be a stronger plastic and I like the additional cosmetic changes. They both seat and drop free in my RUC and Stag lowers. I hope to get them out to the range soon and hope to add Ranger plates as well.

Will I be rushing to replace my REVMs? Hello no, but any additional mags that I purchase from here on out will be the M3 since I just bought a bunch of REVMs from Hamlund Tactical at the beginning of the month for $9.99 apiece.

bzdog
11-16-12, 17:39
Duane,

Does Magpul have a perspective on the long term magazine storage using the M3 *without* the cover?

While I understand the cover is great for mags in the bottom of the range bag, I'm interested in keeping a number handy where the cover just gets in the way.

FWIW, I do download my mags to 28 rounds. I understand wisdom varies in this respect, but with regard to my specific question, I would assume it puts less pressure on the feed lips.

Thanks,

-john

SPQR476
11-16-12, 21:17
I keep most of my training mags loaded to 30 with no covers, same with the ones in my kit. We've got original PMAGS that have been loaded for most of the last 5 years with no covers. My social mags are all in ammo cans, so they have covers.

The cover isn't needed for loaded storage at all, as far as feed lip pressure is concerned. The covers push the round stack off the feed lips, but it's not because the pressure on the feed lips will cause any damage. It's so that if the magazine takes a HARD impact with the cover on...like 10 foot drop loaded onto the feed lips, the weight of the round stack impacts the ground through the cover instead of transmitting that impact through the feed lips. Plus, the spring tension of the cover against the round stack acts as a shock absorber against feed lip impact. The GEN M2 is strong, the GEN M3 much more so, but the cover provides extra protection against serious abuse. Not necessary for loaded storage at all.

In fact we held a bunch of GEN M3s in the thermotron at 180 degrees for three days fully loaded with no change in the feed lips, or anything else for that matter. We'll probably keep pushing that envelope to see how hot we can get them.

If you're superstitious, or if 30 doesn't seat right for you on a closed bolt, or if they're going to be loaded a long long time and you just want to be sure, load 28. Use the covers if you can or want to, especially in a dusty environment or where they're subject to rough handling...they certainly don't hurt...but all the evidence I've seen and all my personal experience says that you'll be just fine without them, and fully loaded.

bzdog
11-16-12, 22:10
Thank you very much for your comprehensive response!

-john

kdcgrohl
11-17-12, 08:55
I picked up one of the M3s to check out and I must say I like the improvements/refinements. I'm not too thrilled that the legacy ranger plates won't work, but I do like the new floorplate attachment.

The biggest thing I've noticed is how much easier it is to insert on a closed bolt. All of my older pmags and revMs have to be inserted strongly and/or torqued slightly to lock in on a closed bolt. The M3 will lock in with much less force and no torque required.

Todd.K
11-19-12, 16:13
Gen II lowers were changed earlier this year for the PMAG GEN M3 in the 4700-4800 serial number range.

Serial numbers 4800 and above will fit without any modification.

Earlier lowers have a shelf in the flared section for a magazine with a tab on the rear, unfourtinatly it is slightly narower than the tab on the PMAG GEN M3. I can seat the PMAG GEN M3 with a moderate amount of force in the earlier lowers. I say this not to recommend it, but to show how little needs to be trimmed off just the top corners of the tab to fit.

Cornelius
11-19-12, 22:28
Gen II lowers were changed earlier this year for the PMAG GEN M3 in the 4700-4800 serial number range.

Serial numbers 4800 and above will fit without any modification.

Earlier lowers have a shelf in the flared section for a magazine with a tab on the rear, unfourtinatly it is slightly narower than the tab on the PMAG GEN M3. I can seat the PMAG GEN M3 with a moderate amount of force in the earlier lowers. I say this not to recommend it, but to show how little needs to be trimmed off just the top corners of the tab to fit.

Good to hear! Am I safe to assume that the rifle I ordered 4 weeks ago from you guys will have the updated Gen II lower?

Pappabear
11-25-12, 23:40
I keep most of my training mags loaded to 30 with no covers, same with the ones in my kit. We've got original PMAGS that have been loaded for most of the last 5 years with no covers. My social mags are all in ammo cans, so they have covers.

The cover isn't needed for loaded storage at all, as far as feed lip pressure is concerned. The covers push the round stack off the feed lips, but it's not because the pressure on the feed lips will cause any damage. It's so that if the magazine takes a HARD impact with the cover on...like 10 foot drop loaded onto the feed lips, the weight of the round stack impacts the ground through the cover instead of transmitting that impact through the feed lips. Plus, the spring tension of the cover against the round stack acts as a shock absorber against feed lip impact. The GEN M2 is strong, the GEN M3 much more so, but the cover provides extra protection against serious abuse. Not necessary for loaded storage at all.

In fact we held a bunch of GEN M3s in the thermotron at 180 degrees for three days fully loaded with no change in the feed lips, or anything else for that matter. We'll probably keep pushing that envelope to see how hot we can get them.

If you're superstitious, or if 30 doesn't seat right for you on a closed bolt, or if they're going to be loaded a long long time and you just want to be sure, load 28. Use the covers if you can or want to, especially in a dusty environment or where they're subject to rough handling...they certainly don't hurt...but all the evidence I've seen and all my personal experience says that you'll be just fine without them, and fully loaded.

Thanks for the info. I bought ten last night. I really enjoy shooting the twenty rounders for SPR Precision work. Is there any upgrades planned for the "SPR 20's". There is your marketing tip for the day.

Now send me 10 for T&E :D, after you Gen 3 them. I would enjoy a window as well.

Again, any upgrades planned for 20 round pmags? Thanks.

SPQR476
11-25-12, 23:46
We may or may not announce the release of something that you'll like in about a week. :-)

Pappabear
11-26-12, 00:57
Chalk me up for ten to put into the throttle ammo box.

Good to hear something might not happen. :D

markm
11-26-12, 07:17
Yep... overnight a couple pallets of those 20 to Pappabear and I. We'll see if they're MOA or better. :cool:

TacMedic556
11-26-12, 22:00
Got a shipment of M3's in today!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MAG557

C4

Glad I did my Black Friday shopping with Grant! Wife went to Target, I went to GandRtactical.com! Got the M3 to boot!

BufordTJustice
11-26-12, 22:37
I'm going to give an update on the M3. I've had 3 in my possession for the last few weeks.

To get an idea of how tough the new M3's are as compared to the old, I decided to drill an inconspicuous drain hole in the base of the RevM PMAG and enlarge the hole in the Gen3.

Despite having to go through much less material, the gen3 floorplate required substantially more time to complete the enlarged hole. The polymer in the gen3 is noticeably stronger. Not that I doubted there was an improvement, but the proof is in the pudding and it is obvious that the basic "formula" of the polymer in the new mags is different.

FWIW.

Warp
11-26-12, 23:45
Glad I did my Black Friday shopping with Grant! Wife went to Target, I went to GandRtactical.com! Got the M3 to boot!

What was the special pricing?

ForTehNguyen
11-27-12, 18:30
M3 dust test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89wwn9gGwc

ForTehNguyen
11-28-12, 18:21
Hot Magazine Test - PMAG GEN M3/USGI Test Video Installment #9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Exl10-hE0)

TacMedic556
11-29-12, 22:55
What was the special pricing?

I think I paid 14.95 for one.

BufordTJustice
11-30-12, 00:08
I think I paid 14.95 for one.

I bought mine at Botach for $12.20 each with member pricing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

cmichael
11-30-12, 05:00
Do they made Gen 3 widow mag soon?

markm
11-30-12, 06:43
Saw these mags in Scottsdale Gun Club the other day... (my first time in there) I should have grabbed one to play with.. but I was on overload looking at all the stuff in the store... I never go into gun stores. :eek:

SPQR476
11-30-12, 12:34
GEN M3 Window is scheduled to be shipping Jan 1, 2013. The new window material is a nice improvement. We'll have an additional release announcement for the GEN M3 line in a week or so.

masakari
12-01-12, 07:06
GEN M3 Window is scheduled to be shipping Jan 1, 2013. The new window material is a nice improvement. We'll have an additional release announcement for the GEN M3 line in a week or so.

Great news. Hopefully my mags will be here soon thereafter... ive got 18 on order