PDA

View Full Version : What are the 5 holes on some handguards actually for?

Steve069
01-09-12, 00:22
So I picked up a Spikes Havoc launcher for my AR and after reading the instructions it shows snugging the 2 set screws right into the picatinny. OK, seems logical.

Well when I was sliding on the Havoc, I noticed the set screws seemed to line up perfectly to 2 of these little holes on my DD handguard. I tightened them up and they went right in snuggly as if it was meant for them to begin with.

Is this normal? My handguard has 5 little holes on all four sides of the rail. They are at T20, T24, T28, T32 & T36. T28 & T32 line up perfectly for the launcher set screws.
I have been searching all over and I can't find out what exactly these little holes are intended for, but the fact that the launcher set screws lined right up with them is blowing my mind. Can it be mounted this way? Everything seems tight and good to go.
I'm only curious because I found a forum post where a guy had a similar rail design but didn't run the screws into the holes but the picattiny slots one notch before instead. It chewed up his rail after he started shooting 12ga buck through it.

Here is his pic where the launcher messed up his handguard, notice the holes he could have mounted them in but didn't.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3127/dscn0382a.jpg

Here is mine mounted with the two set screws run right into the holes.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/89kicker_iroc/2012-01-07_02-29-35_861.jpg

Can I run it like this? What are these holes intended for? :confused:

Wiggity
01-09-12, 00:48
Why would you want to run that thing in the first place?

Iraqgunz
01-09-12, 01:02
If I had patience and wanted a no bullshit answer I would contact Daniel Defense and Spike's tactical. I am sure that between the two you would get something.

Steve069
01-09-12, 01:02
Why would you want to run that thing in the first place?

Wow, looks like I made another friend on here.

Steve069
01-09-12, 01:06
If I had patience and wanted a no bullshit answer I would contact Daniel Defense and Spike's tactical. I am sure that between the two you would get something.

Dude can you help me out here? It seems no matter what I post I get crucified. Apparently this forum doesn't care for this launcher/brand?

What the heck people, I didn't join this forum looking to get yelled at, I'm a newbie...:cool:

Dunderway
01-09-12, 01:30
You lost us at "Havoc Launcher". I'm sorry, but I'll just say it: You are running a big, heavy piece of worthless garbage on what otherwise seems to be a serviceable carbine.

Why would you spend the money to strap this thing to your gun instead of a quality red dot or white light? This forum is all about MIL/LE/Home Defense, and this ridiculous thing that you are running serves zero purpose for any of those. Those holes are for heat ventilation BTW.

ETA: I believe that shooting normal 12ga 00 out of that abomination may also qualify as a felony (unlicensed short-barreled shotgun).

Steve069
01-09-12, 01:38
You lost us at "Havoc Launcher". I'm sorry, but I'll just say it: You are running a big, heavy piece of worthless garbage on what otherwise seems to be a serviceable carbine.

Why would you spend the money to strap this thing to your gun instead of a quality red dot or white light? This forum is all about MIL/LE/Home Defense, and this ridiculous thing that you are running serves zero purpose for any of those. Those holes are for heat ventilation BTW.

ETA: I believe that shooting normal 12ga 00 out of that abomination may also qualify as a felony (unlicensed short-barreled shotgun).

Easy, Easy..The launcher was a Christmas present from my parents.
The only reason they got it for me is because I own a crapload of private hunting property in northern MI where we can do crazy stuff like shoot fireworks, flares, smoke, etc and noone within a 15 mile radius will see us. The stuff I get away with would make a lot of people cringe on here, so whatever.

I never said this thing was mil spec and no the little tiny holes arent for heat dissipation, Knight armory started the holes years ago on their guards.
I have an eotech w/a magnifier as my main sight, thanks for your input though.

Dunderway
01-09-12, 01:46
no the little tiny holes arent for heat dissipation, Knight armory started the holes years ago on their guards.

I think you're right. The KAC VFG screws into those. Why the hell did you ask if you already knew what they were for then?:confused:

BCmJUnKie
01-09-12, 01:46
Settle down man. Guys are giving you answers, be grateful they are going as easy as they are.

We take what we do serious.

What is the point of that honestly, you cant utilize it.

Its like getting an F-1 car. Where you gonna drive it?

The guys on this forum are not gonna be like your friends or girls and see that thing and be absolutely amazed at the "Cool Factor".

Because there is no cool factor. You have a 300 dollar flare gun.

Try not to get butthurt when people dont approve of your purchase.

Steve069
01-09-12, 01:57
Settle down man. Guys are giving you answers, be grateful they are going as easy as they are.

We take what we do serious.

What is the point of that honestly, you cant utilize it.

Its like getting an F-1 car. Where you gonna drive it?

The guys on this forum are not gonna be like your friends or girls and see that thing and be absolutely amazed at the "Cool Factor".

Because there is no cool factor. You have a 300 dollar flare gun.

Try not to get butthurt when people dont approve of your purchase.

Whoa, I am absolutely not butthurt by any posts on here. I just don't understand why I asked a simple question and was attacked, chill. If I want to troll I will go to 4chan.

The holes on my handguard arent threaded like on Knights, yes I've done my research and like I said they have the holes, but the original question was never answered. I made a post, and just like last time I was immediately attacked.

1)Yes I have a launcher
2)Yes I have a place to shoot it
3)Yes I have the ability to make it a DD device
4)Deal with it. That was never the question asked in this post!!!!

Why you mad bro?

Iraqgunz
01-09-12, 02:06
Dude, help me out. All I said was that I would contact DD or Spike's as I am sure that they will provide a more solid answer than most of us. If you somehow took that as an attack on your stuff I can't help you.

Dude can you help me out here? It seems no matter what I post I get crucified. Apparently this forum doesn't care for this launcher/brand?

What the heck people, I didn't join this forum looking to get yelled at, I'm a newbie...:cool:

Steve069
01-09-12, 02:10
Dude, help me out. All I said was that I would contact DD or Spike's as I am sure that they will provide a more solid answer than most of us. If you somehow took that as an attack on your stuff I can't help you.

No not at all, I just figured people on here *especially veterans such as yourself* would have a quick, solid & intelligent answer to my question.

Sorry for pissing everyone off as that was not my intention. This thread is going downhill fast. I just wanted to know what the simple 5 holes were actually intended for on the handguard and if the fact my launcher lined up with them was simply a coincidence or a intended mounting solution.

SMETNA
01-09-12, 02:19
I'm just going to say it. I'd be surprised if this guy isn't a Fed.

Even the most water-brained bubba knows better than to get on a public forum and post shit about "what they can get away with" in the woods with a DD Launcher.

Check that shit at the door Steve. You're not going to find friends here if you're unloading that criminal diarrhea. We don't approve of a great many gun laws, but we abide by them anyway.

Steve069
01-09-12, 02:34
I'm just going to say it. I'd be surprised if this guy isn't a Fed.

Even the most water-brained bubba knows better than to get on a public forum and post shit about "what they can get away with" in the woods with a DD Launcher.

Check that shit at the door Steve. You're not going to find friends here if you're unloading that criminal diarrhea. We don't approve of a great many gun laws, but we abide by them anyway.

First off, you are no help to my thread and are trolling. Yes I have the ability to make it a DD device. I never said illegally. I can register it just like any other person on here.

I don't sell guns for a living either...Wait, maybe I do? Maybe I deal with the ATF and call in FBI NIC's checks 15 times a day. I never said I do anything illegal. Maybe I've been to more ATF seminars and know exactly what is legal more than you do. I can fill out a 4473 faster than anyone on this forum.

And you can check your shit right at the keyboard brother.

MistWolf
01-09-12, 02:47
Oh, I can't watch this!
http://wcetblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/train_wreck_at_montparnasse_1895.jpg

...but I did anyway

Steve069
01-09-12, 02:58
Oh, I can't watch this!
http://wcetblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/train_wreck_at_montparnasse_1895.jpg

...but I did anyway

http://troll.me/images/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/i-dont-always-herp-but-when-i-do-i-herp-derp.jpg

hec912
01-09-12, 03:00
And all this for 5 hoes :suicide2:

AttacKat
01-09-12, 03:12
Not everybody appreciates the same thing. Is your launch tube a 37mm or 40mm? A 37mm allows you to fire flares and smoke legally here in Michigan. It is normally intended for Nautical Distress. I can appreciate having those capabilities when SHTF. Plus, it looks wicked sweet.

The holes on the handguards are intended for air circulation. If those holes line up with anything, well, God is looking out for you.

Be careful with that launcher. Find out what is legal and where before you find yourself in trouble.

Did you get an aiming device with the tube?

Iraqgunz
01-09-12, 03:23
Good night, this one is done.

OP,

Call Spike's and ask them. If they can't help you call DD. If they can't then contact Leonard Nimoy.