PDA

View Full Version : Best gen4 Glock Replacement Trigger?

blackscot
01-09-12, 07:15
Looks like the new ejector has mostly cured earlier issues with my gen4 G17. Now I'm looking toward further improvements.

My only remaining beef with this gun is that it has the mushiest trigger of any Glock I have ever owned. Now nearing 1K rounds has not produced any noticeable "break in" improvement, so I'm assuming it will remain as-is.

I have replaced sights and mag releases on previously owned Glocks, but always lived with the triggers as-is until this one, so I am not familiar with the various market offerings.

I do not want any kind of ultra-light competition item, as this is an everyday-carry gun. I also don't want to get into any custom smith work.

What I do want is an after-market drop-in product that will give me as clean and crisp a break as possible, but with a weight basically similar to the factory trigger (~ 5 lbs).

Thanks for any steers.

ETA -- Or, is there a straightforward way for me to improve the existing tirgger? I am not averse to a little polishing, etc. if it would help.

JSTICFRALL
01-09-12, 07:35
I think this would be your answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEnIJ3VUOQ

blackscot
01-09-12, 10:37
I think this would be your answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWEnIJ3VUOQ

Sounds great except that not yet available for gen4. :cray:

Also, I am less concerned about eliminating initial take-up as I am about the spongy bit that comes after.

Lastly -- expensive.

rauchman
01-09-12, 11:11
Greetings,

I have a Gen4 G23 that I've modified. My pistol did not have the "." connector, which I understand the newer pistols are coming with. I found the dimple on the Gen4 trigger bar to add drag on the pull, which added trigger weight, while providing crispness.

I changed out the trigger bar to a smooth G17 Gen3 trigger and the standard connector from a Gen3. This gave a ...... Gen3 like trigger pull. Also, I polished all the contact points of the trigger bar, firing pin safety and striker.

You can also experiment w/ heavier trigger springs. I believe stock is 5lb. If you go to a 6lb spring, this will lighten the pull a smidge, however, depending on the actual gun, this may give a slightly mushier pull.

Wake27
01-09-12, 11:30
Greetings,

I have a Gen4 G23 that I've modified. My pistol did not have the "." connector, which I understand the newer pistols are coming with. I found the dimple on the Gen4 trigger bar to add drag on the pull, which added trigger weight, while providing crispness.

I changed out the trigger bar to a smooth G17 Gen3 trigger and the standard connector from a Gen3. This gave a ...... Gen3 like trigger pull. Also, I polished all the contact points of the trigger bar, firing pin safety and striker.

You can also experiment w/ heavier trigger springs. I believe stock is 5lb. If you go to a 6lb spring, this will lighten the pull a smidge, however, depending on the actual gun, this may give a slightly mushier pull.

Stock is actually 5.5 pounds. I simply got the Glock Connector 5 and threw it in there. Very easy to do (my first time with any internals on a handgun) and really made a nice difference. That .5 pounds did more than I expected. I've heard some polishing goes a long way too, so I'd recommend trying that combination out. Its cheap and may be just the thing you're looking for. If not, its not hard to reverse or continue upgrading.

blackscot
01-09-12, 11:43
Thanks for the replies folks.

I've got a 6-year-old gen3 G19 that I suppose I could play with swapping parts in the new gen4 G17. The 19 has a superb trigger as-is, but also has 8500 rounds through it.

Off-topic: Wake27 -- interesting location. You must drive through my neck of the woods on some basis (Richmond).

Wake27
01-09-12, 11:56
Yes I do. I go to school in NN so I take 295 all the time. In the past month I've been down there twice shooting with my sister too.

JSTICFRALL
01-09-12, 12:02

Also, I am less concerned about eliminating initial take-up as I am about the spongy bit that comes after.

Lastly -- expensive.

Dangit...That sucks especially since I'm picking up a Gen4 here pretty soon.

DAVID RICHARDS
01-09-12, 13:13
The $.25 trigger job (light polishing of contact points on the trigger bar and metal to metal conTact points with flitz, no dremel please!) and a 3.5lb. Ghost connector smoothed up my GEN4 G19 very nicely.

blackscot
01-09-12, 13:30
The $.25 trigger job.....

I saw something on that doing a web search -- shall go back and read-up now.

.....I take 295 all the time.....

The I-95/295 interchange is 1 mile from my work. Beep next time -- I'll hear you. :jester:

TAZ
01-09-12, 13:44
For my Gen4 21 I ended up with a LWD 3.5# connector (new design with the black coating) and a Wolff reduced power striker spring and reduced power plunger spring. After polishing the trigger bar, and plunger this combo gives me a 5# pull give or take a bit. I tried the reduced power striker with an extra power trigger spring, but this gave a pull below 4# and didn't reliably reset the trigger safety. If you replace the striker spring make sure you give it a good running with defensive ammo to make sure you don't get ligh strikes. I rand about 500 RDS of defensive and 500 RDS or practice ammo through it before calling it good to go. The trigger springs and parts are, thankfully cheap, experimenting with a combination that you like and feel comfortable with won't take a huge investment. You can also go the route of a Vanek Custom, Glock Triggers or Zev-tech complete kit, but they will run you into the $100+ range so experimenting there is going to cost.

Robb Jensen
01-09-12, 13:55
I use Gen 3 G17/G21 trigger bars and either a Ghost 3.5lb connector or "." connector and some polishing.
Sometimes I also use the Lone Wolf ejector housing with the adjustable trigger stop.

On my competition gun G35 Gen 4 I'm currently using a Glocktriggers.com Vogel trigger and I've ordered a Glockworks fulcrum trigger to try out.

Wake27
01-09-12, 14:08
I saw something on that doing a web search -- shall go back and read-up now.

The I-95/295 interchange is 1 mile from my work. Beep next time -- I'll hear you. :jester:

Haha I'll actually be passing through tonight.

40Arpent
01-09-12, 14:38
Apoligies for the threadjack, but would someone mind explaining to this clueless moron what a "." connector is? I tried searching but there were so many threads to wade through, I'm taking the lazy way.

Magsz
01-09-12, 14:47
If you want a crisp trigger take a look at some of the Lone Wolf offerings.

Their - connector is actually VERY crisp, way too crisp for me as i have never been a fan of glass rod breaks.

The surest way to mess up a Glock trigger is to start futzing around with springs, especially striker springs.

If the gun is purely a toy then have it but for defensive use, even putting in a 5 lb striker spring is going to be questionable for the sake of reliability.

Last but not least, IF you do go the Lone Wolf route you may want to look into adding an over travel stop as that glass rod break can be a killer for accuracy when there is significant over travel in the system.

The dot connector is a Glock OEM product designed for the generation 4 pistols to bring the pull weight down to roughly the same factory weight as the generation 3, ie 5.5 lbs. The connector in reality is basically rated as being a 4.5 lb connector.

It shares the same break and travel characteristics as the factory 5.0 lb connector.

The Dot connector is compatible with all generations of pistols.

DAVID RICHARDS
01-09-12, 15:02
Their is a site on the web that shows you step by step how to break down your Glock and what parts to polish for the $.25 trigger job. Any mildly abrasive metal polish will work. I just like the flitz the best. Just please do it by hand. I had a friend use a dremmel on his new G19 and he polished everything.
Even the barrel looked like a stainless steel barrel after he'd "polished" it so much. Gun went full auto on him the first time he shot it! Never saw a Glock do that before. He ended up having to order all new parts for his gun including a barrel. The dreaded dremmel can be a dangerous thing.

40Arpent
01-09-12, 15:21
Thanks Magsz, much appreciated.

Cosmo M3
01-09-12, 16:10

Lastly -- expensive.

I have mine on the Gen 4 ;)

blackscot
01-10-12, 05:48
I have mine on the Gen 4 ;)

Interesting -- their web site says something like "available for gen4 soon".

Their is a site on the web that shows you step by step how to break down your Glock and what parts to polish for the $.25 trigger job........Just please do it by hand......

The two videos on youtube are pretty well done, so after seeing them I've decided to go that route before trying anything else. Basically zero cost, so no reason not to. Also, I'm really curious now to see how much improvement can be achieved just by polishing.

He does emphasize to not remove any material -- just smooth the surfaces and only in the areas indicated. Even I should be able to handle that. Maybe by late week or the weekend I'll have a chance at it and then a range test.

I'm not really looking for a miracle, just some reduction in the sponge zone would be nice. Shall report back here.

Cosmo M3
01-10-12, 06:18
Interesting -- their web site says something like "available for gen4 soon".

The only difference internally between the Gen 3 and the Gen 4 is the trigger housing. I just kept my stock Gen 4 trigger housing with the 30274 ejector instead of using the included 336 ejector.

All they did on the trigger housing itself was polish the ejector. Everything else is simply dropped in.

blackscot
01-10-12, 07:54
The only difference internally between the Gen 3 and the Gen 4 is the trigger housing. I just kept my stock Gen 4 trigger housing with the 30274 ejector instead of using the included 336 ejector.

All they did on the trigger housing itself was polish the ejector. Everything else is simply dropped in.

Ah sooo.....well I'll keep that option in mind then -- thanks.

blackscot
01-13-12, 05:59
Did the 25-cent trigger job easily enough, but improvement was marginal. Overall feel is a little smoother, but the length and strength of the creep-zone remains basically unchanged.

I'm not sure currently how much this is holding me back anyway. My shooting has gotten a bit rusty over the past few months and I need to get back to some more basic aspects before worrying about refinements. Think I'll just run-in this gun for a few more hundred rounds with some training drills, then see where it stands.

davidz71
01-13-12, 14:58
Did the 25 cent trigger job with Flitz polish and fit the Ghost Rocket 3.5 lb. trigger connecter to my Gen 4 Mdl. 22. I had a really heavy trigger to begin with and this really helped lighten it up as well as shorten the reset. It is more like the Gen 3 Mdl. 22 we have in our armory which have 1000's of rounds through them but with a shorter reset.

jonconsiglio
01-13-12, 20:53
I've tried a few differenent combination in my gen4 17. While mine has been reliable through a few thousand rounds, the trigger leaves something to be desired. I compare it to a gen3 17 and there's a noticeable difference. The gen3 just seems cleaner and has less overtravel.

I've noticed when dry firing that the front sight bounces to the right a little bit half the time. I've tried everything to get past this and the one thing that seems to works actually putting pressure on the right side of the trigger. I've had about four other dry fire it to see if it happens to them, and it does.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do at this point but switch to a gen3 17 or deal with it. Fortunately, this doesn't really affect accuracy, but it's certainly not confidence-inspiring during dry fire.

- I've tried the gen3 trigger bar, "." connector, Ghost 3.5 connector, 25 cent trigger job and the NY spring which was gone after less than a dozen trigger pulls.

Magsz
01-13-12, 21:59
Cosmo,

If you retained your factory gen 4 trigger housing and didnt use the gen 3 housing that came with the kit you're selling yourself short as your factory housing does NOT have a built in over travel stop.

You might want to check that out.

JonnyVain
01-15-12, 11:47
I rounded off the part of the trigger bar that depresses the firing pin safety plunger, just like Haley's skimmer trigger. It smoothed out the pull quite a bit. Also added a Ghost standard 3.5.