PDA

View Full Version : Who has had an EOTech problem?

Wake27
01-09-12, 12:21
Didn't see any thread like this, so hopefully its not a repost.

Anyways, I see a lot of people here saying their EOTech has had some kind of problem, so I'm curious as to actual numbers.

Please note, this is for first-hand experience only - meaning that you were operating the optic when it failed. I'd also understand if it was a buddy of yours who suffered the issue, but please limit it to only if you were at the range shooting with him (or if it happened during OPS or something similar). No "I heard this..." please. If you'd like to include a story about someone you actually know and trust (let's try to avoid duplicates), feel free to post, just please refrain from using the poll.

Please refrain also from batteries being dead as the issue. I know Aimpoints last longer. But there is a difference between a malfunction and the batteries running out, obviously.

Finally, please post the actual model and any info on it (what happened, how long/hard you've been running it, etc.) as well as if you sent it in to EOTech and what their resolution was/how well it worked.

I started it off, all good so far with my 512. Its been about 4 years since I bought it and I just recently received my first low battery warning. Only about 600 rounds of 5.56 and maybe about 1000 of .22 so far, but it did have a few years of paintball useage, FWIW.

William B.
01-09-12, 12:35
I had an EOTech 552 on an M249 and later transferred it to my AR15. I never had any malfunctions while using the optic, but I did have to order a new battery cap after some batteries corroded the original beyond repair. Maybe this was due to the design of the EOTech battery cap allowing the batteries to be jarred or maybe it was just the batteries. EOTech CS was prompt, helpful, and mailed me the new battery cap free of charge.

B Cart
01-09-12, 12:40
I have a 512 model, as well as 3 other good friends who shoot alot, and none of us have ever had any issues (we're all civilian shooters). I've been running mine for about 2 years now, including during multiple carbine classes, and I've never personally had one go down or even seen one go down. I did have a buddy who's batteries died during a shoot, but I think they had been in there for a couple years. A quick battery change and he was back shooting.

Failure2Stop
01-09-12, 12:45
I don't know why you have "no problem" listed as a vote choice.
There will always be more people that do not have issues with them than those that do have issues if only because only those that actually use the weapons will experience failures beyond dead batteries, and there is something like a 10:1 ratio of those the store weapons to those that use weapons.

Basically, you are going to drown out your information with white noise.
Probably a more useful metric would be a list of what issues the users had with each model.

one
01-09-12, 12:53
I had an Eotech 552 model that I experienced two (potentially three) problems with.

#1 The windage mechanism went out on it and the sight would not hold zero. I sent the sight back to Eotech and they were very gracious about fixing it and getting it back to me in a timely manner.

#2 I ran a PVS14 behind the 552 and I noticed that it was leaving somewhat of a ghosting on the NV. Moreso than I was comfortable with during use. Before long it came out on the forums that the sights weren't quite dim enough for NV use and were leaving marks on the tubes of the NV. I contacted Eotech and explained what was going on. They again received it for repari/update and upgraded the internals to REV F configuration along with the waterproof pressure pad being upgraded.

#3 This could be arguable I suppose but...At one point I was running the 552 on an AK47 with Ultimak rail. I discovered that after about 200 rounds the sight would start shutting off from the heat. When it all cooled down again it would come back on and return to service. Either way on that particular gun it was a no go on any heavy use.

So overall at least two mechanical problems. However in both instances the company was more than gracious to make it right and do so as quickly as possible. However I us Aimpoints on all my first line actual work guns.

But at the end of the day. All the goodwill, quality service, and professional courtesy don't do you a bit of good in the heat of a gunfight when you need something to work, and work 100%.

Or as I've told my coworkers, usually to no avail, "Customer service doesn't mean anything at the center of a firefight."

Wake27
01-09-12, 14:00
I don't know why you have "no problem" listed as a vote choice.
There will always be more people that do not have issues with them than those that do have issues if only because only those that actually use the weapons will experience failures beyond dead batteries, and there is something like a 10:1 ratio of those the store weapons to those that use weapons.

Basically, you are going to drown out your information with white noise.
Probably a more useful metric would be a list of what issues the users had with each model.

I realize that there will be more people who have not had any problems than those that have, at least there should be. But I wanted to see out of all the owners on here, what percentage did have problems. My interest is not as heavily in what type of problems, though it is nice to know which is why I asked they post details.

Wake27
01-09-12, 14:03
I had an Eotech 552 model that I experienced two (potentially three) problems with.

#1 The windage mechanism went out on it and the sight would not hold zero. I sent the sight back to Eotech and they were very gracious about fixing it and getting it back to me in a timely manner.

#2 I ran a PVS14 behind the 552 and I noticed that it was leaving somewhat of a ghosting on the NV. Moreso than I was comfortable with during use. Before long it came out on the forums that the sights weren't quite dim enough for NV use and were leaving marks on the tubes of the NV. I contacted Eotech and explained what was going on. They again received it for repari/update and upgraded the internals to REV F configuration along with the waterproof pressure pad being upgraded.

#3 This could be arguable I suppose but...At one point I was running the 552 on an AK47 with Ultimak rail. I discovered that after about 200 rounds the sight would start shutting off from the heat. When it all cooled down again it would come back on and return to service. Either way on that particular gun it was a no go on any heavy use.

So overall at least two mechanical problems. However in both instances the company was more than gracious to make it right and do so as quickly as possible. However I us Aimpoints on all my first line actual work guns.

But at the end of the day. All the goodwill, quality service, and professional courtesy don't do you a bit of good in the heat of a gunfight when you need something to work, and work 100%.

Or as I've told my coworkers, usually to no avail, "Customer service doesn't mean anything at the center of a firefight."

Appreciate the detail, thanks. I'm assuming you had no heat-related malfunctions on anything other than the AK mentioned?

one
01-09-12, 14:06
I ran that 552 pretty extensively over the years on a couple flat top AR15's, a Remington 870P, an M1A in SAGE stock, a Barrett 82A1, and the previously mentioned AK.

Of all that the only problem that ever surfaced host gun wise was the AK.

Evil Colt 6920
01-09-12, 14:10
AA / 557 with no problems after 2+ years civilian use. Ive used it in rain, snow and 100+ degree heat while at the range or hunting.

Ronin64
01-09-12, 14:37
516 with 2.5 years LE use. The optic has been fine up until recently, the center of the optic was noticeably dimmer than the edges of the optic (when viewing the reticule). This became annoying pretty quickly while I was covering an area and I would move the rifle from side to side. It was perhaps a 3/4 brightness clicks in difference, so when scanning an area, the optic brightness kept changing.

I have returned it to EOTech and I am waiting for news of its repair. I just shipped it last friday. It is out of warranty, but they are repairing it for free.

Aimpoint PRO purchase coming in the near future...

RogerinTPA
01-09-12, 14:41
The 553 I had for many years and used in a few carbine courses, finally crapped out during a carbine course. Both battery terminals detached while being stuck to both batteries. It was brought back a couple of times, then finally took a dump. Both springs appeared to have taken a set. It was the first RDS on my first, then new, 6920. Both had over 10K rounds fired. According to their web sight, the latest "F" version, has new contacts, a new circuit board which gives 10 times more battery life, and tested to higher G forces in a simulator, similar to firing a 454 Casull.

Gadfly
01-09-12, 15:00
In my agency/office, we have over 100 Eotechs, all 552 (AA battery), all mounted on Colt M4’s. About 15% to 20% have had problems, almost all of which relate to the battery compartment. I have had one agent break the lever used to lock the battery compartment into place. I have also had two units that would turn on and then switch themselves off after firing a few rounds. I am not sure if it is a battery compartment issue, as I have had the same problem after replacing the battery compartment multiple times on both units. I have seen several units simply fall off the weapon during training, despite marking all the mounting screw heads with a paint reference line, some folks simply do not check.

All other problems have concerned the crappy rubber grommet/spring assembly dropping out of the battery compartment and refusing to stay put. The problems are resolved with a replacement battery housing unit. But honestly, they should be better made so the agency is not shelling out $12 to $15 to replace something that should be better designed and built…

The Eotech on my issued weapon has been running great for about 5 years, probably around 5k rounds. It has been dropped on the sight a couple of times in training. The hood is scratched up, but the sight works fine.

My “sample of one” that was issued to me is a winner, but overall, I think the design was flawed. Glad to see the newer models have the CR1123 battery in a different orientation. Hope it has solved the problem.

AZ-Renegade
01-09-12, 15:23
I also had the battery spacer/spring housing fall out of my 552.

I am currently using one of the XPS2 models on my duty M4 which seems to be a better overall design over the AA models.

nimdabew
01-09-12, 15:47
I never had a problem with mine. Sent it to EOTech for a warranty repair for cosmetic issues and they took care of me no problem. I am surprised they didn't ask me what I did to it to make it look like it did.

Ronin64
01-09-12, 18:33
I can see where this one is going.

Its always this, I'm superior to you and I know everything, and Aimpoint is better if you say other wise, well you never use your gun then.

So Failure2Stop, why is it that with the systematic problems, that guys with EOTechs going on hikes in the mountains of Afghanistan together for a year together, never seem to get what crap EOTechs are, and how right you are?

I don't see this thread as an Aimpoint superiority thread at all, please keep it on topic and post whether you had an EoTech issue.

Tomac
01-09-12, 19:11
I had a couple of older 512's that would drain batteries when off (like fresh lithiums found DOA after a month of sitting in the gunsafe) but that's the only problem I've personally experienced.
Tomac

agr1279
01-09-12, 19:22
I had a 552 Rev F for several years. I ended up having to send it back since it would eat batteries just sitting in the safe for a period of less than 3 weeks. They ended up replacing the board. I got rid of it soon after.

Dan

lethal dose
01-09-12, 19:30
i'd be interested in seeing why markm voted in every category. not an attack, just a curiosity.

RogerinTPA
01-09-12, 19:32
Dude,

That's a stretch and disingenuous. Nice first post by the way.:rolleyes: No one is trying to piss on anything. I see it as a log for listing problems. Have you noticed there are other "problem " threads with the Glock and M&P? The Eotech problems have been known for years. It is one of my favorites and had the 553 for a long time, however, it is also well known that they were not as durable as the aimpoint, until they fixed the Batt compartment issues within the last couple of years, then redesigned them and the new ones, so it would not be an issue again. I own 3 aimpoints and have no complaints, but I still prefer the EOTech reticle.

FYI everyone knows they are being used in AFG and other environments. Everyone knows, the battery compartment and point of shift issues were first detected by SOCOM years ago. It's part of their SOPMOD program. Everyone knows they are being ran hard by SOF and other personnel. Everyone knows that the older model 553s broke with the amount of shooting that they do, as well as other older models.

Most are not FanBoys here. No one is being compensated to talk up or shit on, any product. We (the actual users who actually shoot... a lot) make ever effort to speak the truth, without bias, about what we experience with are gear and gadgets, good or bad... but sometimes, it doesn't turn out that way. The Mods are good at squashing unsubstantiated bullshit and fanboyism, as well as most of the members here. The sponsers know full well that with M4C, they will get an honest opinion, whether they like it or not. In return, they get real user feedback.

Reread the thread again.

Its always this, I'm superior to you and I know everything, and Aimpoint is better if you say other wise, well you never use your gun then.

So Failure2Stop, why is it that with the systematic problems, that guys with EOTechs going on hikes in the mountains of Afghanistan together for a year together, never seem to get what crap EOTechs are, and how right you are?

lethal dose
01-09-12, 19:40

1) i really don't think you do see where this is going.
2) nobody claims to be a know-it-all, here.
3) aimpoint IS better then eotech.
4) number 3 is a fact.
5) f2s probably has more knowledge in his left toe then most of the people i'll mention in number 6.
6) just because "guys" treck the mountains of a-stan for a year, doesn't mean they know jack crap about this subject matter... nor does it mean that their optic sees hard use. as for "guys" using certain forms of SOPMOD kit... they are issued said optics.
7) truth is, you will find more people pleased with eotech then people who are dissatisfied. if eotech turned out more models that fail as opposed to models that didn't, they would no longer be in business.
8) please watch your mouth and consider your tone of voice. i don't appreciate it.

CarlosDJackal
01-09-12, 21:05
I just recently acquired an XPS-2-0 and have only been able to run 15-rounds with it. I'll let you know once I hit a couple hundred rounds if it holds up but that will take some time because it lives on my "loaner"rifle (LWRC M6A2 14.7" with PA/FH).

MJLman
01-09-12, 21:51
My 551 battery buffer pad in the battery carrier sticks to the battery occasionally,.....peel it off when changing the batteries, reseat it and it works fine, but still not a good issue to have I imagine.

Wake27
01-09-12, 22:36

First, I'm pretty sure F2S has done a "hike" or two. Second, I don't see where anyone is arguing for Aimpoint being better. Especially not F2S, he was just suggesting an alternative question that I could have asked, but the one I wanted answered was a little different.

Everyone else, thanks for all the info, great posts. Hopefully more to come.

JSantoro
01-10-12, 10:38
"LOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUD NOOOOIIIIIIIISSSESSSSSSSS!!!

Bear in mind that members of agencies and entities that use these things can often walk up to a cage, turn in a busted one and get a new one. It's rarely thought of, from the outside and looking in, and individual owners generally don't have that option.

Bear also in mind, some of the cats you're talking about are also comprised of those that get a suite of devices to swap out, even if the above weren't the case. Again, individual owners may or may not have that option.

Bear further in mind, even presuming that something has an 70% failure rate (just to completely make up a number...), the 30% that don't fail are out there, working. It happens, but it's not something upon which to base a warm-fuzzy....unless we're talking baseball averages.

That's putting aside control feature configuration and manipulation, modes, and other aspects that make up what's more than just the sum of it's parts.

Lastly, try to stop playing Billy Badass with the forum staff just because one (almost certainly several, good chance most) likely has a broader, deeper, more well-thought-out frame of reference than think you do. If you have a question to ask, ask it without the chest-thumping and presumption that you're the only one with insight, and based upon what I can only guess is an emotional attachment to a purchase or the misperception that anybody is saying things that'll hurt the feelings of an inanimate object. Whatever....

You can see where this is going because you're making an active effort to push it that way. So, I can see where you're going if you don't get right in a hurry, and inject some basic politeness into yourself. If you will not or cannot do that, it will be done for you. This is a heavily-moderated forum, so if you want to continue to participate, it'd best be while using a different tone.

Please stop quoting the trolls, guys. Use the Report Post button, and let the staff take what actions are needed.

Quote the troll, this'll get shut down for pruning....at the least.

jenrick
01-10-12, 10:41
I have a 512 that's about 5 years old at this point, probably close to 30K rounds on it. Approximately 1 year into ownership when I went to swap batteries one of the rubber buffers fell out. I wasn't having any issue prior to that, it was just time for new batteries. L3 replaced the battery compartment at no cost to me via next day shipping. Approximately 1 year later my sight began turning itself off under recoil (approximately every couple of hundred rounds at first and then quickly every couple of rounds). Fortunately this happened in a training class. L3 sent me a shipping label and returned my sight to me in 3 days total time. After about 6 months my sight began to exhibit the same behavior as before. I contacted L3 and they again sent me a shipping label and had my sight back to me in 3 days total time.

They advised that my sight should have had an electronics replacement on it's first trip back, but it hadn't happened. They basically sent me a brand new sight with just the same battered roll hood on it. I've since put close to 15K rounds through it with zero problems. My rifle was carried in a soft case in my patrol cars trunk for the majority of the time, and I certainly haven't been gentle on my sight in that time. It has been whacked on things (into someone on one occasion), etc. It's always held zero, and seems to be running 100% now. I'll admit the second trip back I was seriously considering switching sighting systems due to reliability concerns. After an exhaustive shakedown those are allayed and I'm happy to still be running my EOTech.

-Jenrick

Wake27
01-10-12, 12:21
I have a 512 that's about 5 years old at this point, probably close to 30K rounds on it. Approximately 1 year into ownership when I went to swap batteries one of the rubber buffers fell out. I wasn't having any issue prior to that, it was just time for new batteries. L3 replaced the battery compartment at no cost to me via next day shipping. Approximately 1 year later my sight began turning itself off under recoil (approximately every couple of hundred rounds at first and then quickly every couple of rounds). Fortunately this happened in a training class. L3 sent me a shipping label and returned my sight to me in 3 days total time. After about 6 months my sight began to exhibit the same behavior as before. I contacted L3 and they again sent me a shipping label and had my sight back to me in 3 days total time.

They advised that my sight should have had an electronics replacement on it's first trip back, but it hadn't happened. They basically sent me a brand new sight with just the same battered roll hood on it. I've since put close to 15K rounds through it with zero problems. My rifle was carried in a soft case in my patrol cars trunk for the majority of the time, and I certainly haven't been gentle on my sight in that time. It has been whacked on things (into someone on one occasion), etc. It's always held zero, and seems to be running 100% now. I'll admit the second trip back I was seriously considering switching sighting systems due to reliability concerns. After an exhaustive shakedown those are allayed and I'm happy to still be running my EOTech.

-Jenrick

Awesome post, thanks. Glad to see that at least their customer service is pretty solid.

misanthropist
01-10-12, 14:04
I had a 551 for about three years that rode on a couple of different carbines. It was a revision F and a good little optic and saw a lot of rounds and I liked it.

I got rid of it mainly because I wanted a Micro, and I didn't need them both. Although in retrospect, it was a good optic and I should probably just have kept it and put it on another gun.

I have always SUSPECTED that the N-cell series were more likely to survive the battery-piston effect, just on account of the relatively low mass of the N cell battery.

Anyway, I don't pretend that my experience is statistically significant, but on the basis of my experience, I'd probably buy an XPS and be pretty confident.

On the other hand...I now use a T1 for everything I take seriously.

Wake27
01-10-12, 14:53
I'd heard the N cells have the worst battery life out of all of them though?

SMETNA
01-10-12, 15:09
In the same way I keep a spare bolt and assorted springs for my Rifle, I keep a spare battery box for the 512 on hand. Haven't needed to swap it out yet; been two years/ 1400 +- rounds

Brownells has them on the cheap.

black op
01-10-12, 15:41
I concur with the N batt's having short life. I ran a 511 for a few years and that was my only complaint. Number of rounds that sight saw is 10k. I am currently running an XPS with about 3k through it now. We will see how the XPS holds up.

DialTone301
01-10-12, 15:48
I have been happy with my EXPS so far.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
01-10-12, 17:05
No probs whatsoever with my 516 and now my 553-- I banged both around pretty good in all kinds of weather/environments. No complaints. Wish it was a little lighter though-- comparing it to my T-1!

misanthropist
01-10-12, 18:22
I'd heard the N cells have the worst battery life out of all of them though?

I'm sure that's true. The battery life is not great. That is a distant secondary concern for me when compared to durability and reliability, however.

Wake27
01-10-12, 22:22
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1193734&posted=1#post1193734

Had to post this here as it is very relevant.

Submariner
01-11-12, 15:12
Around the turn of the century, we had four N-cell EoTechs. These consumed batteries at the cyclic rate. Upside was they did not require a separate mount.

Bought an Aimpoint CompM with an ARMS mount. It solved the battery life issue. We preferred the single red dot. Traded the EoTechs for a 1000 gal. tank full of propane and bought Aimpoints ever since, up-grading over time with little additional expenditure of funds. Mount selection went from ARMS, to GG&G to LaRue.

cabbynate
01-11-12, 20:19
I had a couple of older 512's that would drain batteries when off (like fresh lithiums found DOA after a month of sitting in the gunsafe) but that's the only problem I've personally experienced.
Tomac

Same here..

cjt50
01-12-12, 01:18
No problems with my XPS2.

Only problem I had with my 511 "N" cell, (other then chewing batteries up) was after 6 years of use, I notice the reticle would change brightness and focus on one corner of the FOV.

Sent it to EOTech 4 years ago and it was cleared up. It is now 10 years old and still going strong. Mine is an older Rev C so it really likes batteries. :smile:

mkmckinley
01-12-12, 01:34
Can I vote twice? I've had two 123 models shit the bed.

SGB
01-12-12, 03:32
Had a 512 for a little while, had no problems with it just decided I liked the aimpoint more.

rob_s
01-12-12, 05:30
Bear in mind that members of agencies and entities that use these things can often walk up to a cage, turn in a busted one and get a new one. It's rarely thought of, from the outside and looking in, and individual owners generally don't have that option.

Bear also in mind, some of the cats you're talking about are also comprised of those that get a suite of devices to swap out, even if the above weren't the case. Again, individual owners may or may not have that option.

Boom.

People are always quick to cite this unit or that agency badass with "zero problems". They never quote the armorer for said unit or agency.

At Pat McNamara's class last year, several of us were surprised to hear him say "the Eotech is a good optic..." during the pause we all looked at each other quizzically. The rest of his quote was "...as long as, between missions, you take it apart, pull the springs out to decompress them, put the battery box in the dishwasher..." (or words to that effect). The point being that whether he was doing it himself or someone was doing it for him, it was not just plug & play, and the end of his statement was "or you can just get an Aimpoint and not have to **** with it" (again, paraphrased).

rob_s
01-12-12, 05:37
Please note, this is for first-hand experience only - meaning that you were operating the optic when it failed. I'd also understand if it was a buddy of yours who suffered the issue, but please limit it to only if you were at the range shooting with him (or if it happened during OPS or something similar). No "I heard this..." please. If you'd like to include a story about someone you actually know and trust (let's try to avoid duplicates), feel free to post, just please refrain from using the poll.
so we can report those that we've been standing next to, we don't have to have been the owner or shooter? If so, I've seen probably a dozen go down firsthand, but wouldn't be able to tell you the models. I wouldn't even know the exact number since, especially in the beginning, it was more of a "damn, I am NOT buying one of those".

Please refrain also from batteries being dead as the issue. I know Aimpoints last longer. But there is a difference between a malfunction and the batteries running out, obviously.

I have seen more than a few that died, had the batteries changed out, only to die again within the same class. That is not a battery life issue, something else is wrong with that optic. I suspect that perhaps the springs get relieved when the batteries are remove oly to get re-compressed once they start shooting again.

jet66
01-13-12, 22:32
No complaints. Wish it was a little lighter though-- comparing it to my T-1!

That's how I feel about my 516 overall, but also why I am considering a T-1/H-1 for my 14.5" carbine. I really like the EOTech reticule, but it is a tad on the heavy side.

wrecks30
01-15-12, 08:54
I returned from Afghan in November. Right before I deployed last year, my wife bought me an AR. The whole year that i was out there i pondered on what optic to get when i got home. We were issued ACOGs and I loved it, but way out of my price range, so it came down to aimpoint or eotech. I had settled on getting the aimpoint PRO. Until i had a chance to work with some JSOC guys when that Chinook went down last year with all the SEALS, every dude on that team had an eotech on their weapon, beat all to hell. That is when I decided to go with eotech, they swore by it. But I say to each their own, I would have been happy with either.

MAJK
01-17-12, 21:06
Had one eotech N model - ithink it was 511 but cant remember. Didnt use it much but noticed batteries got used up even though I didnt use it much and the brighness seemed to change when the batteries got weak.

Since then I switched to Aimpoints. I have four aimpoint M4s, and 3 or four M2s. I keep the batteries in them for years and never had a problem. I'm not saying Eotechs are bad but its just my limited experience with the only eotech I had.

I didnt see any eotechs in Afghanistan when I was there but I'm sure some had them. I saw lots of aimpoints and ACOGs. I also saw some with Specter 4 and 6 power scopes...at least thats what I think they were.

patriot_man
01-17-12, 22:12
I've used the Eotech 551 with no problem as well as the new EXPS3-0.

I did have a 553 that did have a nitrogen leak but Eotech took care of it in a quick speedy manner.

I also had a crap load of steel case brass fly all over the front lens of my Eotech EXPS3-0, scratching the living hell out of it, and they fixed it free of charge.

I can tell you I am more than happy with the CS of Eotech. Battery problems? None to report of.

sinlessorrow
01-18-12, 10:51
I have a AA 512 and a 123 XPS2-0 both trouble free since i got them

And im planning on getting a EXPS3-0 soon

I have to say the transverse battery seems to fix the issues that plagued eotechs

thopkins22
01-18-12, 11:16
I have a 512 Rev F that was great and "flawless" right up until it wasn't. It started turning off randomly while shooting so I went to change the batteries and parts(springs and rubber disks) fell out of it. I estimate it had fewer than 6k under its belt.

Eotech sent me a one piece drop in fix that does seem to be working. But I have no faith in it whatsoever. Aimpoints will be bought from this point forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VA_Dinger
01-20-12, 21:47
I currently own at least half a dozen EoTech's.

The only model that ever gave me issues was a 551. It seemed to eat the N batteries.

My 552, XPS, and EXPS models have never given me a single issue.

Littlelebowski
01-28-12, 15:07

I'd pay good money to see you compare your own record in combat to F2S's, jackass. Start here (http://creativepromotionalmarketing.com/showthread.php?t=94088). From then, go on to proving your own claim that Vickers is lying about the DD torture test.

Go away.

Ronin64
01-29-12, 16:15
I got my EOTech back from repair for the problem I was having with the reticule appearing at different brightnesses. They said the seal of the optic was compromised (didn't say how) and the nitrogen had leaked out of it. They fixed the seal, replaced the hood, and refilled with nitrogen. They did this for free outside of the warranty period. They time it took for repair was 1 week and total time without the optic was two weeks including shipping times. I had to pay the shipping to them but not the return shipping, total cost was $10.

Excellent customer service from EOTech, i could actually call a human talk to them to get my problem taken care of. No endless phone trees, a direct number to a person. You can also email a direct person and get a prompt reply.

I prefer the EOTech reticule over the Aimpoints dot. For my work (police officer) the EOTech reticule is great for getting fast on target. yes it has to be turned on, but is that really a big deal? (for police work).

seb5
01-29-12, 18:15
I owned a 512 and a 552 that were problematic. The 552 was on my first expensive AR. A long ago sold RRA DEA model. After about 2 years the battery compartment (now I know) began to give erratic power resulting in intermittent recticle display. I called in and sent it back for warranty work and in the meantime bought a 552(?), "N" model because it was shorter. By the time the other returned I had to send in the new model because of drainage issues. About that time I traded both off for a pair of Aimpoint M2's. I don't own those anymore but they are both still going strong on 2 friends rifles.

So 2 for 2 on failures for Eotech. With Aimpoint I've had 1 issue with a total of 6 owned. And for what it's worth Aimpoint CS was no more difficult than Eotech's.

I really preferred the recticle on the Eotech but have used Aimpoint so long now that it is meaningless to ever consider Eotech again, especially if it's my dollars being spent.

Cagemonkey
01-29-12, 18:43
I have no dog in this fight, though I use Aimpoints. Here's an interesting point of view from a respected professional. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96569

one
01-29-12, 18:46
I got my EOTech back from repair for the problem I was having with the reticule appearing at different brightnesses. They said the seal of the optic was compromised (didn't say how) and the nitrogen had leaked out of it. They fixed the seal, replaced the hood, and refilled with nitrogen. They did this for free outside of the warranty period. They time it took for repair was 1 week and total time without the optic was two weeks including shipping times. I had to pay the shipping to them but not the return shipping, total cost was $10.

Excellent customer service from EOTech, i could actually call a human talk to them to get my problem taken care of. No endless phone trees, a direct number to a person. You can also email a direct person and get a prompt reply.

I prefer the EOTech reticule over the Aimpoints dot. For my work (police officer) the EOTech reticule is great for getting fast on target. yes it has to be turned on, but is that really a big deal? (for police work).

I completely agree with you on the service I got from Eotech when I was having problems.

In regards to the sight having to be turned on to use for LE work. It was a major contributing factor to my decision to move away from Eotech to the Aimpoint T1 Micro and M4 comp sights. I keep my SBR up front and ready to go. There have been multiple times that I have pulled the rifle straight out of the passenger side and right directly into the situation at hand. Concerning myself with whether the sight is activated or not is a non issue for me since the change.

krisjon
01-29-12, 18:54
I have no dog in this fight, though I use Aimpoints. Here's an interesting point of view from a respected professional. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96569

Bingo.

If Eotech were so bad and unreliable across the board, you wouldn't have a lot of Tier 1 operators using them. I have a buddy with Teams here in San Diego that tends to agree, too.

I just happen to like the reticle and more open sight view better. Although I have to agree with Mr. Defoor - I can change a battery once in a while, too. :)

Cagemonkey
01-29-12, 19:07
Bingo.

If Eotech were so bad and unreliable across the board, you wouldn't have a lot of Tier 1 operators using them. I have a buddy with Teams here in San Diego that tends to agree, too.

I just happen to like the reticle and more open sight view better. Although I have to agree with Mr. Defoor - I can change a battery once in a while, too. :)I think one has to draw a distinct difference between the earlier models and the XPS/EXPS models that use the CR123 batteries.

krisjon
01-29-12, 19:23
I think one has to draw a distinct difference between the earlier models and the XPS/EXPS models that use the CR123 batteries.

Agreed. I just think Eotech gets a worse rap than they deserve - especially now. They're putting out an excellent product these days and definitely stand behind it.

sgtrock82
02-01-12, 22:50
When my friend and I started down the path of the AR carbine, I bought an Aimpoint based on positive past experiences. He bought an Eotech using N batteries. (I dont know the model) Neither of us get tons of rounds down range but I think his eotech quit on him around 2k. He changed batteries and it wouldnt turn on. By this time I had aquired an ACOG so let him borrow my loose aimpoint while I tried to get his optic running.

After seeing what I could do about cleaning out the battery compartment and making sure the springs werent too compressed. I put in new batteries and it worked! There was much rejoicing...till we got to the range and I told him I was gonna eat his lunch with his own optic and it shit the bed on me. Another change of batteries yielded nothing and I quit.

I was just pestering him about it today, told him he should see about getting it fixed so he could at least sell it and get some money out of it. Its hard to ignore alot of good shooters using them successfully. I really want to like the eotech, but at this point Id need a whole lot of positive experiences before I spend my own money on one.

BTL BRN
02-02-12, 11:27
I never had any problems with my 557, and that includes lots of time in the Vegas summer heat; but ultimately I switched all my rifles over to Aimpoints (T-1's and ML3's), the battery life and no auto shut-off were too appealing.

ricksterr
02-06-12, 23:49
Owner of 553 who went aimpoint cuz of battery life.

Javelin
02-06-12, 23:58
My 512 AA version seems to eat batteries even when turned off. Never figured out why or what I can do about it. :confused:

SgtSabre
02-07-12, 03:01
My 512 AA version seems to eat batteries even when turned off. Never figured out why or what I can do about it. :confused:

You can call EOTech about it.

Wake27
02-07-12, 15:17

Based on the comments here I'd definitely contact EOTech's customer service asap.

YVK
02-07-12, 19:02
Mild-use XPS, two years, two battery changes, no problems so far

ClearedHot
02-07-12, 22:39
Just curious, to the guys that have had to send their EOTechs back for repair, did the problems come back or were they repaired once and for all by the factory?

one
02-08-12, 01:04
The two problems that I experienced on separate occasions were both repaired to my satisfaction. The Eotech has seen use on a .50 cal M82A1 and on a Full auto M16 shorty since then with no other issues.

I have no complaint about how they treated me service wise.

Wake27
02-08-12, 08:54
The two problems that I experienced on separate occasions were both repaired to my satisfaction. The Eotech has seen use on a .50 cal M82A1 and on a Full auto M16 shorty since then with no other issues.

I have no complaint about how they treated me service wise.

Damn that would be some abusive recoil.

another-bill
02-12-12, 08:43
I bought one of the first Bushnell HoloSights back in the day.
Back then the brightest it got wasn't bright enough, among other things.

Since then I have bought the Aimpoint CompM, ML2 and M3. Not one problem with any of them.

I have followed the talk about the EoTechs but with the new 123 battery compartment I think any issues should be shelved. With that said, I have a new Eotech XPS3-2 just waiting too get to the range.

ETA: Got to the rage, runs fine as expected.

Bill

KMM696
02-16-12, 10:09
516, 3 years old. Somewhere after the 500 round point on the Eotech (during a class, of course), the battery box lever would work it's way open until the sight turned off. It would take about 50 rounds each time. A piece of tape solved the problem for the class duration.

Called Eotech, they diagnosed it as the battery box shim being too small. Shipped me a new box in under a week. The sight has seen about 6k since then, with no issues.

dirt_diver
02-16-12, 11:25
Imho lithium batts make all the difference in the world in re AA Eotechs.

afd77
02-16-12, 15:15
Mine was a 511 with the 'N' sized batteries. It was dead within two weeks whether I turned it on or not. Should have contacted Eotech to fix it, but never did. It sat on a shelf for 3-4 years and I finally sold it cheap to someone to use on a dedicated range gun and could store it without batteries in it.

sinlessorrow
02-16-12, 15:19
Mine was a 511 with the 'N' sized batteries. It was dead within two weeks whether I turned it on or not. Should have contacted Eotech to fix it, but never did. It sat on a shelf for 3-4 years and I finally sold it cheap to someone to use on a dedicated range gun and could store it without batteries in it.

The 511 and 551 both had warnings in the instruction manual that it drained batteries and it was recomended to remove them when not in use

observer
02-18-12, 01:40
I have used several 552 A65 Rev. F EoTech optics. I like the system, I do not own any currently. All weapons were hard use, banged on vehicles, rolled on and slammed into structural elements.

The Factory replaced or repaired all optics in very short order. The service was fantastic.

Problems:
1: Switch on unit failed, would turn on and function. The system would only shut down after 200 hours, when the battery failed. 10.5in. rifle

2: Power source failure, no function at all. 10.5in. rifle

There were other issues in the group, but those were mine.

CLJ94104
02-18-12, 01:45
My brother has used an eotech in both of his deployments. I think maybe even the same one. No issues. I have had 2, a 512 and an EXPS3. Obviously since im not deployed they don't get the same rigorous use, but either way no issues here. I think eotech is a reputable sight and that everybody has their Kool Aid, Aimpoint or EOTech.

Ming_the_Merciless
02-28-12, 19:37
Ran into my first problem, with an 2007, EOTech 512 A65 Rev F. I just recently had to replace the rubber gasket that surrounds the electrical spring contacts at the muzzle end of the battery compartment. Discovered it when I was swapping out for a fresh pair of batteries last week. Upon pulling out the spent batteries I found a round rubber bumper attached to one end of the AA batteries. To see if the EOTech would still function, I placed the loose rubber bumper back in with the battery, pressed up/down for on, and the connection was intermittment, causing the EOTech to shut on and off. I looked up the L3 customer service number for EOTech, and was surprised I was directly connected to someone on the other line opposed to navigating through some automated system. The representative quickly sent out the replacement rubber grommets. In retrospect, I was surprised at the altitude of the CS rep, treated it as if this occurred all the time. Guess it's a well established or known problem that they have a retrofit kit with instructions. Few days later the replacement part arrived and was self-explanatory as to how to complete the retrofit. Instead of two separate rubber grommets, the rubber material looks to be neoprene shaped to fit the cross sectional area of the end of the battery compartment, and does not rely on an adhesive to hold the rubber grommet in place. This should be a permanent fix, but we'll have to see.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/WTAForum/IMG_1309.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/WTAForum/IMG_1307.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/WTAForum/IMG_1308.jpg

I've been using the EOTech 512 for 5 years, sitting on top of an LaRue riser, on one rifle which has seen approximately over 16k rounds and counting, albeit most of that was with 22 LRs (~10,000 rds), remaining were with .223/5.56. To date this was the only significant failure I have experienced. Though it's never failed me before when I needed it, having been to a few carbine courses, seen plenty of range time, and some competition usage, I've lost confidence with the optic, considering I've never abused it beyond the normal operating regime from the standard inertia load from recoil, to find it inoperable from the failure of the rubber gasket adhesive is especially troubling. I suppose nothing last forever, with the mass of the AA battery in line with the bore axis, the recoil inertia - however small, would eventually fatigue the spring, rubber gasket, that or the combination of temperature extremes over the past 5 years, causing the adhesive that holds the rubber grommet to the back of the battery compartment to work loose over time. Luckily I am not a door kicker, and this problem was identified before I was in any time is life situation. But I suppose that's what BUIS are for, or using the technique of the EOTech square FOV as a poor man's ghost ring, Aimpoints are definitely easier with that in mind.

Because of this, and for my next build, I'll definitely side between an T1 or CompM4s, though I am eager to see and hear more about the new Trijicon SRS (Sealed Reflex Sight).

On the upside though, EOTech customer service was outstanding. Though I was surprised that I didn't know about this remedy earlier. So as a friendly PSA, if any one is using an older 512/552, EOTech with an older battery compartment, do yourself a favor and check what type of rubber grommet you have installed in your battery compartment. If it contains two round ones as shown in the picture above, call (734) 572-2176, and ask for a replacement.

SMETNA
02-28-12, 20:08
Were you using alkalines, lithiums, or NiMh rechargeables?

Bonez556
03-05-12, 21:11
I have had 2 different 512 models and never had any problem with them. I have a 553 coming tomorrow so we will see how this one does. My fingers are crossed that I dont have one that experiences problems. Ill post if I do.

YammyMonkey
03-09-12, 00:44
I have a 2008 era Rev F 512 that lost the nitrogen charge in the sight & when it turned on, would not be bright enough for daylight use. The folks at EOTech were quick to respond to my email and quick to fix & return the sight at no charge.

I've also been running an XPS-2 for a little over a year with no issues so far. I have an Aimpoint Micro on one rifle and I think I'm going to end up going to the Micros on most of my future builds.

M4Fundi
03-09-12, 04:08
I have a 2008 era Rev F 512 that lost the nitrogen charge in the sight & when it turned on, would not be bright enough for daylight use. The folks at EOTech were quick to respond to my email and quick to fix & return the sight at no charge.

I've also been running an XPS-2 for a little over a year with no issues so far. I have an Aimpoint Micro on one rifle and I think I'm going to end up going to the Micros on most of my future builds.

I have same problem and it took them a month to return my calls and emails and they want $80 to fix.

Is the nitrogen leak common?

YammyMonkey
03-09-12, 10:24
I went to the EOTech site, under contacts, then warranty & emailed Michael Kroll. He sent me an RMA form & in the amount due area I filled in N/A. the confirmation email I received from them said it would be a no-cost repair, but I was prepared to pay for it, considering the age of the sight.

I don't know if the nitrogen leak is common. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

claybirdd
05-16-12, 03:34
I recently bought a model 517 (AA batteries.) Anytime I would do rapid fire, the latch for the battery case would come open and the unit would turn off. Called CS And they quickly sent me a new battery shim plate about five thousandths of an inch thicker, for free. This resolved the problem

SMETNA
05-24-12, 12:42
Just posted a similar thread about Aimpoint. I love the idea.

(I doubt there will be very many who've had an issue, but we'll see)

wrecks30
05-25-12, 08:07
I have been on a few deployments, and to be honest the majority of soldiers do not prefer aimpoints.

Alaskapopo
05-25-12, 22:09
I have been on a few deployments, and to be honest the majority of soldiers do not prefer aimpoints.

That probably varies from unit to unit. Most of my friends who serve or have served perfer Aimpoints and ACOGS. Eotechs are not much liked.
Pat

wrecks30
05-27-12, 14:02
We were issued ACOGs only, but the JSOC guys I worked with almost all had EOtechs

halmbarte
05-27-12, 16:55
In two seperate instances guys I've been shooting with had their Rev. F units cut out. One just lost the reticle and the other had the reticle move off into the corner of the window. In both cases replacing the batteries did not fix the problem. Removing the batteries and leaving them out for a 1/2 did.

I helped out another guy who had a newish XPS with the CR123 battery. His EoTech was dead when he pulled the rifle out of the case. He said it was fine when he put the rifle away. I gave him the battery out of my Surefire and that solved his problem.

H

krisjon
05-29-12, 12:58
We were issued ACOGs only, but the JSOC guys I worked with almost all had EOtechs

Yup. If it's not scoped, the NSW guys I know are on Eotech. You might see an Elcan thrown in once in a while, but that's on the rarer side.

TheBelly
05-30-12, 04:31
From 2006-2008, my 512 (production sometime in 2005 I'm guessing) had some problems with draining the batteries while the unit was turned off. I tried alkaline and lithium batteries. This was on a fobbit gun in OIF.

Wake27
07-14-13, 17:35
Thought I'd bump this for all of the newer members to offer their experiences.

sinlessorrow
07-14-13, 17:47
Thought I'd bump this for all of the newer members to offer their experiences.

My eotech EXPS 3 is still going strong.

Wake27
07-14-13, 17:56
My eotech EXPS 3 is still going strong.

After looking at this again, I wish I had given the XPS and EXPS their own categories since they're the updated design.

Javelin
07-14-13, 18:20
I still run an old 512 AA model and it is still going strong. While in Iraq all the Blackwater guys had EOTechs which is where I first saw that optic.

I do however much prefer the battery life of my Aimpoint Pro ;)

one
07-14-13, 20:09
While I remain an Aimpoint T1 and M4 models user my agency did purchase a number of XP series Eotechs a couple years back. There have been no problems that I'm aware of.

RMiller
07-14-13, 20:37
Had an issue with a reticle fading on an eotech 516.65 that takes the cr123a batteries. Faded out in the left lower corner. Sent it to eotech and they fixed the problem ASAP. Turn around was a week and a half.

I also had an EXPS2.0 model that I never had an issue with.

Wake27
07-15-13, 08:54
If I could, I'd have to change my selection for this poll, unfortunately. My 553's connectors just slid out with the batteries and I realized that the reticle would disappear along the left and bottom edges. :( I'll send it in but I wish I could trade up to an EXPS.

They're CS emailed me back the same day with an RMA. They're not charging me even though the site was manufactured in '08. Definitely echoes what everyone else here has said, but I didn't want to get my hopes up just in case.

ETA - Received my 553 back from them in 6 business days with a new manual included. Damn good service.

1H11
07-15-13, 11:23
I have both Aimpoint T1 and now a EoTech XPS3-0. I been running the XPS for almost a year and will not be going back to the T1. The battery life is of no real issue to me. Status check your kit.

bowietx
07-17-13, 08:35
I have several EXPS 3's and 2's and have thus far not had any issues. I also have some aimpoints and while the battery life may be an issue for some, with regular battery changes I have never had an issue. The one thing that I do not like as much about the aimpoint is the 2 MOA dot vs the EOTECH reticle. For some reason I just find the EOTECH slightly faster for me and prefer the wider FOV. I like to have both in order to maintain proficiency with mutliple optics and thus far have not had any issue to report.

1H11,

Just curious about your move away from the T1 was it based on the reticle or other issue?

VeeDubbinJetta91
07-18-13, 01:04
Went to go check out the rifle the other day and noticed the eotech 512 wouldn't turn on, pulled the battery box and found one of the batteries were leaking(sight/batteries) are less than a year old, also found the rubber and metal springs/caps fell out and onto the floor, just sent an email out to eotech tonight

NHbowhunter
08-03-13, 23:51
After seeing that this thread was resurrected, I checked my older EOTech 511 and found that it would not power on, even after trying two different sets of fresh N-type batteries. I wish I could say that this was the first time that I have had problems with this sight, but then I would be lying.

I originally bought the sight six or seven years ago from a large mail order retailer based in Freeport, Maine. The sight burned through four N-type batteries within the first 36 hours that I owned it, even though I turned the sight off each time after using it. I should have returned it at that point, but in my disappointment, pushed it off to another day. As a stop gap fix, I started taking the batteries out after each use and reinstalling them the next time I used the sight. As you can imagine, it was not long before I bought a different sight from another manufacturer and the EOTech was relegated to my safe.

Fast forward five years, I went to check the 511 and had the problem mentioned in the first paragraph of my post. The sight had been stored without batteries unused in my safe for five years. I installed new batteries and the EOTech wouldn't turn on. I checked the rubber gasket and springs/caps and everything seemed to be in alignment and at the right height. Installing a second set of fresh N batteries did not make a difference.

I will be contacting EOTech later this week and will be sending the 511 to them for a repair estimate. From searching several online forums, it seems as if this issue is now a known flaw with the older EOTech 511s. It is too bad that I did not see these type of posts before I purchased the sight in 2006.

sinlessorrow
08-04-13, 00:23
After seeing that this thread was resurrected, I checked my older EOTech 511 and found that it would not power on, even after trying two different sets of fresh N-type batteries. I wish I could say that this was the first time that I have had problems with this sight, but then I would be lying.

I originally bought the sight six or seven years ago from a large mail order retailer based in Freeport, Maine. The sight burned through four N-type batteries within the first 36 hours that I owned it, even though I turned the sight off each time after using it. I should have returned it at that point, but in my disappointment, pushed it off to another day. As a stop gap fix, I started taking the batteries out after each use and reinstalling them the next time I used the sight. As you can imagine, it was not long before I bought a different sight from another manufacturer and the EOTech was relegated to my safe.

Fast forward five years, I went to check the 511 and had the problem mentioned in the first paragraph of my post. The sight had been stored without batteries unused in my safe for five years. I installed new batteries and the EOTech wouldn't turn on. I checked the rubber gasket and springs/caps and everything seemed to be in alignment and at the right height. Installing a second set of fresh N batteries did not make a difference.

I will be contacting EOTech later this week and will be sending the 511 to them for a repair estimate. From searching several online forums, it seems as if this issue is now a known flaw with the older EOTech 511s. It is too bad that I did not see these type of posts before I purchased the sight in 2006.

I would advise a new Eotech, the 511 and 551's were discontinued due to their inherent issues.

Wake27
08-04-13, 00:36
Yeah I've often heard them to have had the most problems.

NHbowhunter
08-04-13, 10:32
I would advise a new Eotech, the 511 and 551's were discontinued due to their inherent issues.

Thanks, that is not surprising given my experience with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

blade_68
08-04-13, 19:27
My personal 552 had the issue of turning off when shooting at odd times. I "fixed" after the spring fell out by wrapping small strip of 100 mph tape on rubber washer, not been problem since. When I was deployed I changed out batts weekly "lithium" batts. My duty issued 552 kills batteries right as I go to qualify, I keep a spare set taped up in pistol grip and test weekly. To shut off I pop the battery latch then relatch. In personal sights I use lithium batteries. My oh $@@@ sight is M-4s Aimpoint or 552 EOTec..

swinokur
08-05-13, 12:09
I think the XPS and EXPS series with the cross mounted battery have eliminated many of the battery issues users were experiencing, albeit at the sacrifice of some battery life.

I own 4 EXPS 3.0 sights and so far I am happy with them I have G33 magnifiers behind 3 of them.

trinydex
08-08-13, 14:35
AA model of eotech, unknown age, very old.

reticle invisble in the center of the window, but could be seen if one moved eye to different portion of the window that was off center.

explanation was that the gas between the windows had leaked out and cause this problem. i don't know if that made sense as an explanation, but the unit was refurbished.

Mall_Ninja
09-02-13, 01:12
Have experience with Aimpoints and EoTechs and decided to go EoTech as I prefer the better field of view and much faster (for me) reticle:

553, no probs, but almost brand new.

552 Rev "F" been to the sand box/hell and back, no issues (rubber on the buttons is getting a little stiff but no biggy).

512 Rev "F" just got off a Patrol buddy (he upgraded to the XPS/magnifier combo) hes had since new, zero issues. Most everyone is running some type of EoTech with or without mag. No one that either of us know on the dept. have had any issues.

Vandal
09-02-13, 18:28
Had an XPS2 for a couple of years, no issues to report. I personally didn't like the size of the unit or the reticle, thought it was too busy. It was replaced with a T-1 as it worked better for me.

My father has my old XPS2 and ran that and a AA powered EOTech in a pair of Hackathorn classes with no issues. Held zero, stayed on no strange on/off from recoil.

Cmm46
09-02-13, 19:12
I have a 512 that I used to have mounted on my patrol rifle. I found that I would have to re-zero it every couple of weeks. To be fair, it rode in my trunk and endured abuse from running code 3 over speed bumps and pot holes. I was also using the thumb screw (although I never noticed it coming loose). I've since put it on a personal gun with the other attachment screw and loctite. Something I prob should've done in the first place. I still like it though. Love the eotech reticle.

gman556
09-03-13, 18:08
I have had 3 Eotech's and no problems.
I can't really use them anymore, because of my eyes:mad:

I miss that reticle:(

Mall_Ninja
09-03-13, 18:16
I have had 3 Eotech's and no problems.
I can't really use them anymore, because of my eyes:mad:

I miss that reticle:(

Sorry to hear about your eyes. Oddly, most people I know switch from irons to some type of red dot/holo sight when they get older?

Iraqgunz
09-04-13, 04:07
When I took over the armory for TC in Baghdad in '07 we had about 375 EoTech Mod. 552 Rev. F sights. About 70 of them were INOP due to battery pack issues and issues with the rubber membranes.

The biggest issue was the adhesive used to glue the contacts inside the battery pack and the membrane to the housing unit. They would loosen when personnel changed batteries and the battery life was terrible even with good batteries.

The customer service was terrible and it took me about 6 months of dealing with inept people until I got resolution. The deal breaker was when I got the assistance of someone from the SOCOM program.

I will never use or recommend another Eotech again.

rickmy
09-04-13, 05:17
At work we have 7-8 assigned to armored vehicles for gas guns/impact munitions. They go down so often I keep a log. I have also seen several break in training including the glass in one recent ally made model. I have never had an issue with an aimpoint.

Ryno12
09-04-13, 05:43
When I took over the armory for TC in Baghdad in '07 we had about 375 EoTech Mod. 552 Rev. F sights. About 70 of them were INOP due to battery pack issues and issues with the rubber membranes.

Just curious, was there an equal number of Aimpoints in use at the same time when these failures were occurring and do you see the military phasing them out in favor of the Aimpoints success?

Sent via Tapatalk

sinlessorrow
09-04-13, 11:36
Just curious, was there an equal number of Aimpoints in use at the same time when these failures were occurring and do you see the military phasing them out in favor of the Aimpoints success?

Sent via Tapatalk

I can't speak for IG, but anything can break. Case in point, my Picture.

Ryno12
09-04-13, 11:52
I can't speak for IG, but anything can break. Case in point, my Picture.

Is there a common failure in those pictured or is it more of a random "anything & everything"?

Sent via Tapatalk

Mall_Ninja
09-04-13, 13:25
When I took over the armory for TC in Baghdad in '07

The customer service was terrible and it took me about 6 months of dealing with inept people until I got resolution.

I will never use or recommend another Eotech again.

Hasn't the company changed hands since then?

sinlessorrow
09-04-13, 13:58

L3 bought out Eotech in '05 which is part of why I feel their CS went down some since then.

Wake27
09-04-13, 14:14
I think IG's post was the first one in this thread (and first I remember ever reading) stating negative experiences with their CS. Granted, his circumstances were different than most of ours, but everything I've seen and my own experiences were extremely positive.

Iraqgunz
09-04-13, 14:35
I wasn't in the military and we only had EoTechs. I have however seen numerous Aimpoint M68s that held up up fine in comparison.

Sent via Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
09-04-13, 14:38
Not sure. I know L-3 took over a few years back. In any case there is no reason for me to ever buy one and I will always recommend Aimpoints.

gman556
09-04-13, 20:03
Sorry to hear about your eyes. Oddly, most people I know switch from irons to some type of red dot/holo sight when they get older?

No, just don't see a nice round dot anymore. Astigmatism.

I am old though :cool:

Whenever I get an updated prescription, the dot look fine, but as the scription gets older, it goes to shit again:(.

I am getting a TA33 to put and end to this. I still have a T-1 2moa on another rifle that for some reason doesn't look as bad as the Eotech dot:confused:

I'm keeping that one:D

Mall_Ninja
09-05-13, 00:52
Astigmatism.

Me too... :(

Whenever I get an updated prescription, the dot look fine, but as the scription gets older, it goes to shit again:(.

You must hate Doctors like I do! 3-4 years between visits is my norm...

I still have a T-1 2moa on another rifle that for some reason doesn't look as bad as the Eotech dot:confused:

Prolly the "dot matrix" vs. a single dot reticle, EoTech reticles are sort of "fuzzy" by design.

1H11
09-05-13, 05:31
I have several EXPS 3's and 2's and have thus far not had any issues. I also have some aimpoints and while the battery life may be an issue for some, with regular battery changes I have never had an issue. The one thing that I do not like as much about the aimpoint is the 2 MOA dot vs the EOTECH reticle. For some reason I just find the EOTECH slightly faster for me and prefer the wider FOV. I like to have both in order to maintain proficiency with mutliple optics and thus far have not had any issue to report.

1H11,

Just curious about your move away from the T1 was it based on the reticle or other issue?

The T-1 was to fuzzy for me, plus the EO is much faster to pickup.

1H11
09-05-13, 05:35

Well I could not have said it any better. Same issue, same result, and use.

gman556
09-05-13, 21:55
Me too... :(

You must hate Doctors like I do! 3-4 years between visits is my norm...

Prolly the "dot matrix" vs. a single dot reticle, EoTech reticles are sort of "fuzzy" by design.

Yes it is a bummer getting old :angry:

Had a TA33 for a while, and wanted to try a red dot again. I was missing the Eotech, but that didn't work for me again. Maybe I was in denial. Now I'm missing the TA33 again.:p

Mall_Ninja
09-06-13, 01:08
Yes it is a bummer getting old :angry:

Had a TA33 for a while, and wanted to try a red dot again. I was missing the Eotech, but that didn't work for me again. Maybe I was in denial. Now I'm missing the TA33 again.:p

Im surprised you like the ACOG so much since there is no diopter...

halmbarte
09-06-13, 03:38

I'm nearsighted with astigmatism. EoTech and Aimpoint reticles look like a Nike swoosh to me, but the ACOG reticles are sharp and well defined.

Right now my favorite optic is the TA44SG-10 at 1.5x16. Split times are almost as good as the Aimpoint close up, great eye relief/eye box, and the mag does help out at range.

H

Mall_Ninja
09-06-13, 12:47
I'm nearsighted with astigmatism.

Same here...

the mag does help out at range.

H

I personally HATE 1.5x, but my experience with it is near zero (Leupold fire dot). If they made that same optic true 1x id be buying my first ACOG!

SteveL
09-06-13, 17:02
I know how you guys feel with the astigmatism. I could never use an Eotech, but then I went and had my astigmatism corrected several months back and the last time I was in the good LGS I looked at an Eotech and could see the reticle clear as day for the first time in my life. I'm going to get one of the EXPS models to try out for myself.

gman556
09-06-13, 20:54
I know how you guys feel with the astigmatism. I could never use an Eotech, but then I went and had my astigmatism corrected several months back and the last time I was in the good LGS I looked at an Eotech and could see the reticle clear as day for the first time in my life. I'm going to get one of the EXPS models to try out for myself.

That's awesome.

My optometrist told me that I wasn't a "candidate" for Lasik.

I have been wondering though, if he was full of it?

He doesn't do the glasses, just the exam.

gman556
09-06-13, 20:57

Yeah for some reason, the Acog reticle is not a problem for me.
Go figure?

The one I did have a problem with was the 1.5x Acog with an amber triangle reticle. Without my glasses the it didn't look like a full triangle.

SteveL
09-06-13, 22:50
That's awesome.

My optometrist told me that I wasn't a "candidate" for Lasik.

I have been wondering though, if he was full of it?

He doesn't do the glasses, just the exam.

I wasn't a good candidate for it either. I had lens implants (Google ICL) put in a few years back and that took care of the vast majority of my issues. What I had done most recently was a PRK touch-up specifically for lingering astigmatism.

NHbowhunter
09-08-13, 21:52
I wasn't a good candidate for it either. I had lens implants (Google ICL) put in a few years back and that took care of the vast majority of my issues. What I had done most recently was a PRK touch-up specifically for lingering astigmatism.

I was told that I was not a good candidate, either. The EOTech reticle looks blurry to me, but is clear for my son.

Update on my previous post in this thread: 511 fixed by EOTech, $79 plus one-way shipping to them. Got it back 10 days after shipping it to them. Works like a champ now, though I will have to see how the battery life is.

SteveL
09-10-13, 23:14
I was told that I was not a good candidate, either. The EOTech reticle looks blurry to me, but is clear for my son.

Update on my previous post in this thread: 511 fixed by EOTech, $79 plus one-way shipping to them. Got it back 10 days after shipping it to them. Works like a champ now, though I will have to see how the battery life is.

I wasn't a good candidate because I had compounded problems: terrible vision AND terrible astigmatism. The ICL's I had put in corrected the vision problems and some of the astigmatism. Then the PRK I had done earlier this year pretty much took care of the rest of the astigmatism. It took a few months to fully recover from the PRK and attain the best results though. Actually I'm probably still improving ever so slightly.

I picked up my Eotech yesterday, an EXPS3-0 in FDE. I got a good deal on it at Gun Gallery here in Jacksonville. I went out and sighted it in today at 50 yards. It's the most enjoyable optic I've ever used to shoot with. I have high hopes that it will prove durable, but only time will tell. I was even pleasantly surprised by how well I shot with my MBUS, and it's all because I can see better than I could before. I still get some crazy blooming if I turn the Eotech up too bright, but for that to happen I have to turn it up way brighter than what's appropriate for the level of light I'm in. My surgeon told me I'll probably always get halos and/or blooming around bright lights (especially at night) because I have larger than average pupils. I guess I'll never have ocular perfection, but I've come a long way from where I started.

The point of all this is to encourage you guys who aren't good candidates for Lasik to get second opinions or explore other options. There's a lot that can be done nowadays and in the end when you can actually see correctly I assure you that you'll feel it was well worth the trouble and expense.

Wake27
09-10-13, 23:27
The EOTech reticle blooms quite a bit when you turn it up a lot no matter what your eyesight is like.

Mall_Ninja
09-11-13, 00:53
The EOTech reticle blooms quite a bit when you turn it up a lot no matter what your eyesight is like.

Agreed, on high, its bright enough to tan a ginger from across the room! :ph34r:

Gunfighter 9
09-11-13, 04:28
I had an EO Tech Xps when I first got my AR. I bought it largely because I didn't want to order online and when I was looking local no one had any Aimpoints. I mounted the sight in accordance with the factory instructions and then proceeded to do some dry fire. After about 10 or 15 repititions the sight fell off. I remounted the sight and tried again and it did the same thing. I remounted it again but this time I used loctite on the mounting screw and stored the weapon for a few weeks until my next range session.

I took the weapon and the loctited sight to the range and proceeded to zero the iron sights with the sight turned off. While doing this the sight came off and fell to the ground after about 5 or 6 shots. At this point I put the sight in my range bag and it never touched my weapon every again. I sold it to a local pawn shop and then ordered an Aimpoint T1.

To be completely honest I was quite surprised by this malfunction, and I no longer have any faith in EO Tech products. I previously had an Aimpoint Comp C2 and now a T1. Both have been completely reliable, and both mounted solidly to my rifle.

It is entirely possible that I simply got a defective unit, and I am pretty sure that EO Tech probably would have rectified the problem if I had contacted them. However, I do not play games with my guns or my gear. If it doesn't work as advertised it leaves my inventory. Warranties are worth nothing in a gun fight.

Wake27
09-11-13, 06:58
Are you sure it was a legit EOTech and that your rail was in spec? Ive never heard of a mounting problem with them.

JSantoro
09-11-13, 07:19
There've been plenty with legit 5-series variants with the torsion mount, though a loctited one is an admittedly extreme example and an out-of-spec rail would make that way more likely.

Kyle Defoor added an article about methods to ensure max functionality on his blog, sometime in 2009, I think. I don't have a link, but it's discoverable on that site's Search function.

EDIT: http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/12/mounting-tips-and-eotech-secret.html?m=1

Mall_Ninja
09-11-13, 13:26
Dont take my response's the wrong way, im not trying to disrespect you. These are just my honest observations:

I had an EO Tech Xps when I first got my AR. I bought it largely because I didn't want to order online and when I was looking local no one had any Aimpoints.

Right off the bat you start out by showing your bias towards Aimpoint...

I mounted the sight in accordance with the factory instructions and then proceeded to do some dry fire. After about 10 or 15 repititions the sight fell off.

No offense but without a "diagnosis" of what was actually wrong, it could be anything from you got a FAKE (very very common) or operator error. If it fell off during "dry fire" its EXTREMELY likely to be either of the above mentioned instances...

I sold it to a local pawn shop and then ordered an Aimpoint T1.

So you "passed the buck" instead of doing the right thing? What if some poor sucker bought it from the Pawn Shop and took it to the sand box or through some other "gates of hell"?

It is entirely possible that I simply got a defective unit, and I am pretty sure that EO Tech probably would have rectified the problem if I had contacted them.

You nor anyone here will ever know now. So this doesnt really help at all to post it...

EoTech would have repaired/replaced it no question about it, UNLESS it turned out to be a fake, which sounds like the most likely possibility.

Also, had you let the "anvil" side of the bolt mount fall out while installing it, then put it back in upside down. Or EoTech sent it to you upside down (likely). This can happen on the older models and im not sure if it can on XPS but again, we will never know...

If this part is flipped upside down, I think you can easily see how it would cause the same issue:

( By the way, you owe me $5 for the ammo to re-zero this rifle... :D:D:D:D:D)
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/JoeDaddy_05/Miscellaneous/IMG_20130911_112040_533_zpsb285bf69.jpg

SteveL
09-11-13, 13:27

Agreed, on high, its bright enough to tan a ginger from across the room! :ph34r:

So it's not just me then. Good to know.

swinokur
09-11-13, 13:39
There are indeed EOTECH counterfeits out there.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/article.php?id=31

http://www.eotech-inc.com/article.php?id=32

eotech pdf here:

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/Recognizing%20counterfeit%20EOTech%20Sights%204-09.pdf

WS6
09-11-13, 16:54
That probably varies from unit to unit. Most of my friends who serve or have served perfer Aimpoints and ACOGS. Eotechs are not much liked.
Pat

A Ranger friend of mine was in a unit where everyone had Eotechs, and loved them. You're right, it varies so much by unit and personal experience that I almost feel like "buy it and use it yourself" is the best plan.

I will say this, though. Eotech only has 1 (ONE) person working in their warranty repair department. I've never heard of repairs causing anyone any amount of wait-time. That says a lot to me.

I know plenty of current and former Delta that run Eotechs, even now that they are no-longer part of any direct supply chain/cannot swap them out at a "cage" for a new one. Some of these guys can run literally any optic they want, from prototypes we don't know about, to Chinese fAGOC's. The entire world of optics is their oyster. A quick phone-call about T&E to any company in the world and it's on their doorstep. They run Eotechs 9x out of 10. That also said a lot to me. I think LAV is one of the few Delta I have heard of who is strongly against Eotech. He is also an employee of Aimpoint, their direct competitor, and as in the past, he is very outspoken for those he works for. I am not sure how much, if any that plays into his stance, I just recall how when he worked for Daniel Defense he praised them to high heavens, and now he does not ever mention them, and refuses to recommend them when asked on-forum "What's a good M4?" or anything of the like, so I do know that while he is an employee, he will boast strongly on the company's behalf. Not that this is wrong or bad or that he would ever say anything inaccurate. Seems nearly everyone else runs Eotech, or some sort of 1X capable variable.

I used to be a huge Aimpoint fanboy. Not anymore. The failure of the Eotech is greatly exaggerated on the internet, especially in transverse CR123 flavor. I now feel that both optics have their place, and respect them equally for their attributes.

Gunfighter 9
09-11-13, 18:11
Dont take my response's the wrong way, im not trying to disrespect you. These are just my honest observations:

Right off the bat you start out by showing your bias towards Aimpoint...

No offense but without a "diagnosis" of what was actually wrong, it could be anything from you got a FAKE (very very common) or operator error. If it fell off during "dry fire" its EXTREMELY likely to be either of the above mentioned instances...

So you "passed the buck" instead of doing the right thing? What if some poor sucker bought it from the Pawn Shop and took it to the sand box or through some other "gates of hell"?

You nor anyone here will ever know now. So this doesnt really help at all to post it...

EoTech would have repaired/replaced it no question about it, UNLESS it turned out to be a fake, which sounds like the most likely possibility.

Also, had you let the "anvil" side of the bolt mount fall out while installing it, then put it back in upside down. Or EoTech sent it to you upside down (likely). This can happen on the older models and im not sure if it can on XPS but again, we will never know...

If this part is flipped upside down, I think you can easily see how it would cause the same issue:

( By the way, you owe me $5 for the ammo to re-zero this rifle... :D:D:D:D:D)
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/JoeDaddy_05/IMG_20130911_112040_533_zpsb285bf69.jpg

It was not fake. The sight was purchased new in box from a reputable local gun store. I doubt highly that the rail on my BCM rifle is out of spec, but lacking precise measuring equipment I can not confirm this. The anvil was placed properly and was confirmed during each attempt to mount the sight. I am completely sure that EO Tech would have replaced the sight or corrected any deficiencies. However, warranties are useless if your gear shits out when your ass is on the line. I will not carry gear I don't feel comfortable with or confident in. As for "passing the buck", the burden to test the gear before being fielded for duty purposes falls on the owner. I certainly never rotate new gear or ammo into duty use until I am certain that it is at least functional. It is not my job to correct factory deficiencies, nor is it my responsiblity to pay shipping costs or deal with that non-sense. I needed a functioning sight and the funds from that sale contributed to the new purchase. Furthermore, I doubt highly that soldiers headed overseas are buying gear last minute from pawnshops. The military issues red dot sights on almost every conceivable weapon system now so I seriously doubt soldiers are having to buy them on their own. Lastly, you are correct I do have a strong bias in favor of Aimpoint, but that is the result of my experiences with their gear versus their competitors. I also have a strong bias against Taurus, Bushmaster, and various other peddlers of junk guns and accesories. This however does not invalidate my experience or make it false. I merely offered my story in response to the OP's query as to the experiences of other EO Tech users.

Wake27
09-11-13, 18:13
A Ranger friend of mine was in a unit where everyone had Eotechs, and loved them. You're right, it varies so much by unit and personal experience that I almost feel like "buy it and use it yourself" is the best plan.

I will say this, though. Eotech only has 1 (ONE) person working in their warranty repair department. I've never heard of repairs causing anyone any amount of wait-time. That says a lot to me.

I know plenty of current and former Delta that run Eotechs, even now that they are no-longer part of any direct supply chain/cannot swap them out at a "cage" for a new one. Some of these guys can run literally any optic they want, from prototypes we don't know about, to Chinese fAGOC's. The entire world of optics is their oyster. A quick phone-call about T&E to any company in the world and it's on their doorstep. They run Eotechs 9x out of 10. That also said a lot to me. I think LAV is one of the few Delta I have heard of who is strongly against Eotech. He is also an employee of Aimpoint, their direct competitor, and as in the past, he is very outspoken for those he works for. I am not sure how much, if any that plays into his stance, I just recall how when he worked for Daniel Defense he praised them to high heavens, and now he does not ever mention them, and refuses to recommend them when asked on-forum "What's a good M4?" or anything of the like, so I do know that while he is an employee, he will boast strongly on the company's behalf. Not that this is wrong or bad or that he would ever say anything inaccurate. Seems nearly everyone else runs Eotech, or some sort of 1X capable variable.

I used to be a huge Aimpoint fanboy. Not anymore. The failure of the Eotech is greatly exaggerated on the internet, especially in transverse CR123 flavor. I now feel that both optics have their place, and respect them equally for their attributes.

The only badass door-kicker I know also prefers and recommends EOTech's greatly. Between that and some of the very well known trainers like Mike Pannone and Kyle Defoor, I think it is a valid point.

Mall_Ninja
09-11-13, 22:10
However, warranties are useless if your gear shits out when your ass is on the line. I will not carry gear I don't feel comfortable with or confident in.

Agreed...

SteveL
09-12-13, 10:34

I wasn't aware LAV had any official affiliation with Aimpoint. Do you know any specifics of his employment with them? E.g. spokesman, etc.?

Talon167
09-12-13, 10:49
FWIW - I was taking Costa's three day carbine 2 class and about an hour into day two my EOTech shit out on me. I'd be surprised if it saw 1,000 rounds on top of an AR over it's whole life.

It just shut off and would come back on occasionally, but the reticule was all over the place. I replaced the batteries (even though I knew that wasn't the problem) and went back out to zero, and a glass piece within the unit came free and was rattling around. It was dead.

I was not happy. I had to run the irons the rest of the day and threw my Aimpoint PRO on there for day three.

I sent it in and they repaired it for free, but I am not sure how much I trust it. I am going to leave the Aimpoint on my Sig 516 and going to put the EOTech on my 716 (where the Aimpoint was) and see what happens I guess.

ETA - It is a 511 N Cell model.

WS6
09-12-13, 10:51
I wasn't aware LAV had any official affiliation with Aimpoint. Do you know any specifics of his employment with them? E.g. spokesman, etc.?

I mis-spoke. the T1 was, in part, his brain-child, according to him, though, and he is a FORMER consultant.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11528

Gents

I saw a discussion on another thread ref this topic and wanted to weigh in here - In my opinion the 2 latest Aimpoints are the best they have ever produced and close the book on red dot sights; at this point I see no reason to choose anything over the Comp M4 (and the soon to be M4B) or the Micro

If you want or need a non magnified red dot reflex sight those are the best that has ever been made - frankly it looks like the Micro is going to be the way to go even on a carbine; mounted slighly forward you can still use back up irons in the bottom 1/3rd and have great field of view around the optic

There are others in the industry pushing other brands; some of those individuals are biased as they sell that particular brand and that has to be taken into account

I was an Aimpoint consultant at one time and helped in a small way to push them towards what eventually became the Micro - I am no longer associated with Aimpoint however; those who have been in my class know I recommend Aimpoint whenever asked about this topic

Bottom line look at the M4 and Micro for your needs and there is no need to look farther

Be safe

Larry Vickers

www.vickerstactical.com

This post by him is what I was getting at. Mr. LAV has a financial and emotional personal investment in the Aimpoint brand, which I feel he is rather upfront about. I am not trying to stir a pot, or say that his opinion's weight should be questioned, only saying that he is in the minority of those of his kind who strongly prefer the Aimpoint over the Eotech, from my vantage point here on the forums and what training courses I have attended, and that he has had a former intellectual and financial interest in the company producing said product, and implying that it is possible, if not probable, that his bias is partially due to liking the product that he pushed them to create.

Wake27
09-12-13, 11:01
FWIW - I was taking Costa's three day carbine 2 class and about an hour into day two my EOTech shit out on me. I'd be surprised if it saw 1,000 rounds on top of an AR over it's whole life.

It just shut off and would come back on occasionally, but the reticule was all over the place. I replaced the batteries (even though I knew that wasn't the problem) and went back out to zero, and a glass piece within the unit came free and was rattling around. It was dead.

I was not happy. I had to run the irons the rest of the day and threw my Aimpoint PRO on there for day three.

I sent it in and they repaired it for free, but I am not sure how much I trust it. I am going to leave the Aimpoint on my Sig 516 and going to put the EOTech on my 716 (where the Aimpoint was) and see what happens I guess.

Again, the 511 is pretty widely accepted to be their worst model. You'll notice they don't offer any N cell models anymore.

SteveL
09-12-13, 12:32
I mis-spoke. the T1 was, in part, his brain-child, according to him, though, and he is a FORMER consultant.

This post by him is what I was getting at. Mr. LAV has a financial and emotional personal investment in the Aimpoint brand, which I feel he is rather upfront about. I am not trying to stir a pot, or say that his opinion's weight should be questioned, only saying that he is in the minority of those of his kind who strongly prefer the Aimpoint over the Eotech, from my vantage point here on the forums and what training courses I have attended, and that he has had a former intellectual and financial interest in the company producing said product, and implying that it is possible, if not probable, that his bias is partially due to liking the product that he pushed them to create.

No worries. I wasn't aware that he had ever been affiliated with them so I appreciate the additional information and link.

Mall_Ninja
09-12-13, 17:58

Problem identified: Discontinued problematic model.

I know it doesnt make you feel better as you are "stuck" with the problem model. Dont let that deter you from making educated choices in the future. No one has a product that has been perfect from the start.

No one...

Iraqgunz
09-12-13, 19:00
I'm guessing you don't know Larry well. You state, that he has financial and emotional attachment to Aimpoint.

I doubt that is the case. If he consulted he was more than likely paid a consultation fee after he finished. I doubt that they are giving him stock options or residuals.

He also doesn't generally get emotional about products. But, he does feel strongly about shit that works and shit that doesn't.

For those of us who have used both we didn't need an epiphany to figure out which was better.

It's alot like comparing a Colt M4 with a DPMS AP4.

sinlessorrow
09-12-13, 20:00
I'm guessing you don't know Larry well. You state, that he has financial and emotional attachment to Aimpoint.

I doubt that is the case. If he consulted he was more than likely paid a consultation fee after he finished. I doubt that they are giving him stock options or residuals.

He also doesn't generally get emotional about products. But, he does feel strongly about shit that works and shit that doesn't.

For those of us who have used both we didn't need an epiphany to figure out which was better.

It's alot like comparing a Colt M4 with a DPMS AP4.

I wouldn call that a fair comparison. There are tons of Eotechs out there runnin fine in hard use, a DPMS wouldnt last 5 minutes.

And to be fair I have a pic of numerious M2's and M4 aimpoints broken and it was just what could fit in the pic.

Larry Vickers
09-12-13, 20:26
Iraqgunz pointed me to this thread - I guess I should clarify my position;

1) Aimpoint is a sponsor of my show and I am very proud of that fact

2) I did urge them to make a small sight as I felt that market was wide open - they informed me they were working on one and the end result was the Micro ; a huge success

3) I call myself the worlds biggest Aimpoint fan; after what I have put their products thru I couldn't Imagine using another red dot sight

4) Many other instructors use Eotech's - that's fine with me. To each his own

The bottomline is the end user needs to decide what is best for their own use - for me it is Aimpoint. For others it is Eotech. Eotech's problems are well documented - if your works for you great; if it doesn't you can't say you weren't warned

Big boy rules

aguila327
09-12-13, 20:33
As one of the people responsible for purchasing in my dept. I'll add my 2 cents worth:

When we first started our involvement in a county wide SWAT team we purchased EO Techs for our brand new colts. We were very happy until our first call outs. They usual problems (dead batteries, compressed contacts, screen coming loose) we all know about now. EO Tech fixed them all and their service was outstanding, but in the end the battery life was the main failing in our eyes.

We tested and have slowly started replacing all of our EoTechs with Aimpoints Pros and have approved the T-1's, M3 & M4's for privately owned/Dept. approved (PODA) patrol rifles.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that EoTech is garbage. Its just that the Aimpoints are so damn reliable. Especially on rifles that go from locker to patrol vehicle and back three times a day and handled by different officers on a shift by shift basis.

BTW: The EoTechs are still being used but only on permanantly assigned or PODA rifles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wake27
09-12-13, 20:33
Iraqgunz pointed me to this thread - I guess I should clarify my position;

1) Aimpoint is a sponsor of my show and I am very proud of that fact

2) I did urge them to make a small sight as I felt that market was wide open - they informed me they were working on one and the end result was the Micro ; a huge success

3) I call myself the worlds biggest Aimpoint fan; after what I have put their products thru I couldn't Imagine using another red dot sight

4) Many other instructors use Eotech's - that's fine with me. To each his own

The bottomline is the end user needs to decide what is best for their own use - for me it is Aimpoint. For others it is Eotech. Eotech's problems are well documented - if your works for you great; if it doesn't you can't say you weren't warned

Big boy rules

Thanks for your input as always.

pointblank4445
09-12-13, 23:43
I have 7 under may care (department purchased 5-6 years ago). 3x take AA batteries and 4x take the E90 batteries. Forgive me for not knowing the model/series numbers as they are not worth my time to learn (foreshadowing)

95% of their life is in storage on less-lethal munition launchers. They are checked every 2 weeks and the batteries are changed out as needed as well as every July and January regardless of use as per protocol.

Of these 7 optics, 2 to were dead-lined completely and shipped back to EOTech.

Of the 7, 6 of those optics have failed at a critical point due to actual optical/mechanical failure. Most of these "failures" were battery-life related. By my records only 1 has a perfect operational record. A 14% success rate for those keeping score. With Aimpoints, our number in use is larger with fewer noted failures over a longer period of service (ending Aimpoint cheerleader rant).

Opinions on these optics are what they are. Always consider who is doing the talking vs. who is footing the bill. If I had an endless stream of batteries and could just march down to the armory every time my optic did something unintended, I might like EOTechs too....

sinlessorrow
09-13-13, 01:39
Wrong thread.

Mall_Ninja
09-13-13, 02:45
3x take AA batteries and 4x take the E90 batteries.

What model would that be?

Of these 7 optics, 2 to were dead-lined completely and shipped back to EOTech.

Of the 7, 6 of those optics have failed at a critical point due to actual optical/mechanical failure.

Im pretty good at math, something doesnt "add up" with these 2 statements, or am I confused?

Most of these "failures" were battery-life related.

LOL You really consider dead batteries a "failure"?!?

By my records only 1 has a perfect operational record. A 14% success rate for those keeping score.

For those of us keeping score, what is the failure rate of your Aimpoints? Which models are they?

With Aimpoints, our number in use is larger with fewer noted failures over a longer period of service (ending Aimpoint cheerleader rant).

As I already asked, please share those failure types and failure rates.

Always consider who is doing the talking vs. who is footing the bill.

SOUND advice!

pointblank4445
09-13-13, 10:16
The E90's or "N Series" are model 511

2 of the 7 optics died completely...never to work again. No trauma to note. They just would never turn on again despite all troubleshooting measures suggested by the manufacturer.

of the remaining 5,
2x are not bright enough to be used in daylight.
1x wants to turn itself off after about 30 minutes regardless of the battery. We also suspect this unit to have zero retention issues.
1x if it gets used, it WILL require a battery change the next time it is used.

No matter how you do the math, that leaves ONE and only one (Unit #4 as we call it on a Mossberg 590) that has not failed to deliver.

These are the KNOWN issues and not counting all of the batteries we've blown through and accounts of guys shouldering their weapon and there is no reticle to be found.

I want to say we have 15 or 16 Aimpoints in circulation ranging from new 2MOA Micros down to Comp ML2's. A majority of the Aimpoints are PRO's. Regarding Aimpoints, we have complaints with dot brightness on some of the Comp ML2's. The biggest problem we've seen with Aimpoints is how they are originally mounted and zeroed and not with the optics themselves.

xjustintimex
09-13-13, 10:17
I had to replace the battery terminals on mine with the upgrade. After that I have not had any problems.

pointblank4445
09-13-13, 10:20
eh...nevermind

Mall_Ninja
09-13-13, 12:17
2 of the 7 optics died completely...never to work again. No trauma to note. They just would never turn on again despite all troubleshooting measures suggested by the manufacturer.

of the remaining 5,
2x are not bright enough to be used in daylight.
1x wants to turn itself off after about 30 minutes regardless of the battery. We also suspect this unit to have zero retention issues.
1x if it gets used, it WILL require a battery change the next time it is used.

Do any of these units have an "F" printed on the lower right hand corner of the protective "hood" when looking at the "driver side" of the sight?

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/large/552f.jpg

sinlessorrow
09-13-13, 12:52
Do any of these units have an "F" printed on the lower right hand corner of the protective "hood" when looking at the "driver side" of the sight?

511 and 551's never had a revision F if I remember correctly. Thats Eotechs model they wish they could go back and never produce. Most of their bad rep came from those 2 crappy models.

Mall_Ninja
09-13-13, 21:40
511 and 551's never had a revision F if I remember correctly. Thats Eotechs model they wish they could go back and never produce. Most of their bad rep came from those 2 crappy models.

I think you are right, which is why I asked. He stated some were "AA models" and they were blowing through batteries...

Gunfighter 9
09-16-13, 06:48
This thread is starting to sound a lot like something on TOS. The OP requested information about EO Tech failures, and whenver people provide the requested information here comes Mall Ninja to discredit their experience. To the OP, if you want an EO Tech go buy one. I am thinking this thread has just about run it's course. IMO.

Wake27
09-16-13, 07:10
This thread is starting to sound a lot like something on TOS. The OP requested information about EO Tech failures, and whenver people provide the requested information here comes Mall Ninja to discredit their experience. To the OP, if you want an EO Tech go buy one. I am thinking this thread has just about run it's course. IMO.

I have an EOTech and will buy more. I didn't create this thread to help me decide whether I should buy one or not, but to track problems with them and see if there is a common theme and if there have been any significant results from different fixes. The thread still continues to serve its purpose.

WS6
09-16-13, 11:45
I find it ironic that the 123 battery Eotechs are more reliable than the M4 series and the T1/H1 series Aimpoints, per the respective polls on this forum, and yet people dog on them like this forum explains why the Eotech sucks.

JSantoro
09-17-13, 07:25
I am thinking this thread has just about run it's course. IMO.

Man-tastic!

Meaning we'll not see you posting more Debbie Downer crap in it due to a gross misinterpretation of what info the OP's gleaning from this, and how...?

An excellent decision on your part.

(Take the hint)

WS6
09-17-13, 09:10
Please leave the thread open, mods (not that my opinion carries any weight, but hey, I figure asking politely can't hurt?). I'm seriously enjoying the data gathered by the polls in this and the Aimpoint thread. I ran the percentages, and according to the polls, the CR123 powered Eotechs are more reliable than the H1/T1 series of Aimpoints, as well as the M4 series of Aimpoints. I know the internet magnifies everything, but it was shocking to see that even "the internet" says that the failure rate (within 1% of 10% for all three) is virtually identical. Especially because "the internet" and M4C, more specifically, is always belittling the Eotech's durability.

JSantoro
09-17-13, 09:31
It's staying open, but some folks are gonna stop needlessly backbiting others, and other folks are gonna figure out that having been around for 3yrs means they've been around long enough to have realized by now that staff instructions aren't an invitation to open public negotiations.

plumpsquirrel3
10-30-13, 23:45
I have an XPS2 manufactured Sep 2010. I had a problem with the reticule fading in the lower right of the window, as well as a streak going from the bottom left, to the top right. I don't know how long the sight was like that, as when I bought it I was stationed overseas and my rifle was at my brothers house.

I didn't even know it was a problem until I joined this sight and did some reading on Eotechs, and looked on their website. I emailed them them last month, and sent in the sight for repair. Got it back in a week and the issue is resolved.

sua175
11-01-13, 21:26
Mods please delete

Dmaynor
11-01-13, 21:41
I had an EOtech battery spring fall out after a few years of use. It was easy to solder back in.

Wake27
11-01-13, 22:21
On the flip side I have seen some old ass beat the **** up old school m68's work like a champ. I have never seen a t-1 and compm4 fail as well.

I have ran sopmod eotechs in Iraq and compm4, and t-1 in assholistan. My eotech was babied compared to my aim points. Not saying that no one has ever had a problem with a aimpoint as I'm sure people have but I have not in my personal experience

I prefer aimpoint, if I was still active duty I would never run a eotech of any flavor in combat.

Good for you, but that's not the point of this thread.

gun71530
11-01-13, 23:50
Good for you, but that's not the point of this thread.

How do you figure? He gave first hand knowledge of EO Tech failures.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Mall_Ninja
11-02-13, 02:59
god knows how many arms mounts I have seen fail on the sopmod optics.

Can you give more details? Did they fall off? Fail to hold zero?

My eotech was babied compared to my aim points.

What problems did yours give you?

Javelin
11-02-13, 03:51

The F mark denotes the updated fix from the earlier models that had issues of turning off. I have owned this F model personally since 2008 and it has served me well. I still prefer my T1 or Pro but my EOtech still has done a good job and sits on one of my Noveskes :)

Edit: I did add the Larue riser and it is the right height for my cheek weld.

sua175
11-02-13, 17:26
Mods please delete

hk_shootr
11-02-13, 20:54
Have a 512 that has served well. Battery spring contacts died last year. Called customer service requested a "contact kit" they sent two and I picked up a new spare battery cover. This EoTech now sits on the wife's .22lr M4 clone. I am running an EPS2-2 on one rifle, a TA33 on another and a T1 on the third.

Wake27
11-03-13, 19:44
How do you figure? He gave first hand knowledge of EO Tech failures.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Corrected.

Mall_Ninja
11-03-13, 22:24
Corrected.

Sounds like he gave second hand experiences of actual failures, he "implied" that he didn't have any issues (first hand) when he said his EO Tech was "babied" (there by stating without saying it, that his EO Tech never had any failures)…

Wishy washy… :rolleyes:

NongShim
11-04-13, 09:11
1) i really don't think you do see where this is going. Where is it going, to an internet alley to slug it out?
2) nobody claims to be a know-it-all, here. That doest happen a lot.
3) aimpoint IS better then eotech.
4) number 3 is a fact. Depends on your criterion for what constitutes "better." Anyone who applies their matrix for choosing "best" to the needs of everyone else doesn't know what they don't know. Different people rate things like durability, reticle, batt life, etc with different levels of significance.
5) f2s probably has more knowledge in his left toe then most of the people i'll mention in number 6. I don't know anything about him, so no comment. I'm sure he's a great person.
6) just because "guys" treck the mountains of a-stan for a year, doesn't mean they know jack crap about this subject matter... nor does it mean that their optic sees hard use. as for "guys" using certain forms of SOPMOD kit... they are issued said optics. Fact, most people who are issued a gun and a sight and ordered to go kill people with said items don't know nearly as much as people on the internet. Hense why so many of them have such vitriolic hate for Aimpoint because each one they've been issued has shit the bed due to abuse (training, combat) and same with EOTechs. Plus there are tons who have beaten each one to near death and they keep working. It all depends on many variables. Regardless, a combat deployment that a troop goes on and never kills anyone while on his treks around Afghanistan is still a hell of a lot harder on gear than a 3 day carbine course.
7) truth is, you will find more people pleased with eotech then people who are dissatisfied. if eotech turned out more models that fail as opposed to models that didn't, they would no longer be in business. THAT is a fact, for all the trouble, EOTech still puts out enough good product to keep going and keep spending money on research for new products. It is also a fact that some of the best shooters on Earth, who shoot more than any of us wasting time on the computer choose EOTech. Hense my earlier point about what actually constitutes "better." Best is a term that rides a sliding scale. A guy who can only ever buy one red dot sight and one battery in a given decade would be much better suited with an Aimpoint. But maybe you can get cases of batteries and you have a cage full of extra EOTechs. Maybe in ones' vast experience and years of training and combat an individual decides the EOTech reticle is more conducive to killing enemies at high speed.
8) please watch your mouth and consider your tone of voice. i don't appreciate it. Or what, you're going to take him and anyone else who is mean on the interwebs to the internet alley and beat them up?

I have had a personal 552 Rev F that I got used in 2004(ish) have batteries leak when it went unused for about 6 months. I replaced the battery cap and scrubbed the sight. It works fine. It saw steady use of about 1k rounds per month for a several years before it leaked. I'm sure it would have leaked had it never been used. That has to be a circuitry or battery issue.

My other 552 and XPS have had minimal use, but not any problems in years.

I have seen several 553 with issues. Some will turn on and flicker off after being jolted (bumped, GPMG burst) and flicker back on when tapped again. One just won't wake up after going to sleep. These just get turned in.

That being said I have used 553s on GPMGs for an excess of 10k rounds each with no issues.

I feel much more confident in the 552 and have used it on GPMGs, 5.56 carbines, and various HK SMGs with less issues than the 553. Ordering the replacement battery contacts (dog-bone shaped) from EOTech or now Brownell's solves the issue of the individual round contacts falling out after high round counts. The transverse models solve that issue, and I love them.

I'm sure people think I'm and Aimpoint hater, but I'm not. I have owned numerous, and still do. I used to be a huge EOTech hater after my personal one tried to rot itself from the inside. I got over it though and realized they both have their place. NO doubt about it, the Aimpoint has better durability and battery life. The reticle is also a one trick pony. Though possible, it's silly to try and range with the dot. One can use the EOTech reticle for rough ranging much more easily. The original circle-dot can serve for multiple holds to deal with HOB offset. Every time I put a magnifier behind an Aimpoint I see a long punctuation mark, not a dot. EOTech reticle always looks as it should. That could be a problem with my eyes, but that brings us back to the sliding scale. If I need a dot, and I need removable magnifier, the EOTech is the only way to go for me, vs that guy who can only have one sight and one battery per decade. His only option is a Comp4.

sua175
11-04-13, 10:50
Please delete

ScottsBad
11-07-13, 19:02
Own an EOTech 557 ran fine for about 150 rounds or so. Didn't use it much because I just didn't really like it as much as my Aimpoints and Scopes. Took it out of the safe one day. It was mounted to a Ruger SR556 which I just don't shoot much. Prepared the rifle to go shooting and checked the EOTech. The reticle was dim and I thought It might be because of batteries. Replaced the bats with some new Energizer Lithium. Still dim.

I called EOTech a couple weeks later and they said send it in mark repair cost $0. When I got it back it worked fine, I guess they replaced the electronics. Now the EOTech sits in a box. No more EOTechs for me. I only want sights that DO NOT FAIL while sitting in a safe.

There is little advantage for me in using the EOTech vs. Aimpoint. I don't like magnifiers either, although I own both an Aimpoint and EOTech magnifier, because I don't like the eye relief, weight, flip mechanisms (even LaRue), or the image through a magnifier. I just grab a rifle with a 1-4x scope if I want magnification.

Finally, I've heard carping about the Trijicon SRS, but I like it very much. It is sensitive to the brightness level you select, but the field of view and the shape of the dot is perfect for me. So I now have two.

Boba Fett v2
11-07-13, 19:46
I've had issue with the older Eotechs on my fighting carbines, but no issues with the newer EXPS line. So far so good.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

Mall_Ninja
11-08-13, 01:05
Finally, I've heard carping about the Trijicon SRS, but I like it very much. It is sensitive to the brightness level you select, but the field of view and the shape of the dot is perfect for me. So I now have two.

It does not have a Tritium back up right? Its electrical or nothing correct?

Coyotehunter_
10-25-15, 08:30
My POI zero shifted after I left my EXPS3-4 unit out in my cold unheated and non air conditioned attached garage this past summera and this last winter.

Before this year I kept my EXPS3-4 inside the house in my bedroom. So I never noticed this problem in the past year or so before this fall. I kept it out in the garage inside a transportable rubber maid storage container because I was going shooting a lot more this year and wanted it near the truck for easier loading and unloading. The problem is that although I took my AR15 and the EOTech HWS with me during each trip to the range I didn't really use them until about a week ago. I was mostly shooting my two new pistols at the 25 yard range instead. But I took all my new guns to the range each time. It was sort of a ritual to load everything up that I thought I might use. I can use the exercise too.

Anyway the last two times out to the rifle range I went to the 200 yard range and shott my Ambush Firearms AR15 using various sized bullets. I'm still testing this gun to see what ammo is prefers. And I have two optics systems for this gun. The EXPS3-4 and a Nikon M223 4x16x42 with 600 BDC scope with AO adjustment knob.

The Ambush Firearms has a 12" long Modular float rail (Modular Float Rail 12.0) that attaches to the upper receiver and covers the 18" long barrel. . And the gun's receiver has a rail on it too. But the area where the upper receiver and the Free Float Modular Barrel Shroud meet is problematic when trying to install things on the rail. This area doesn't have the cross grooves and the scope has to be attached to the rail either before this section or the front part of the scope base has to completely straddle this area in order for the scope base to fit onto the rail squarely and flush. IF not the POI is way off target.. IE the gun will shoot over the top of the target. I found this out the hard way. I have a Magpul MBusd back up sight attached on the very back end of the rail and this takes up some valuable rail space. This caused me to move the RRA one piece scope base more towards the end of the barrel than without the Magpul MBus back up sight on the rail. I finally got the Nikon zeroed in by moving the RRA scope base (one piece unit) forward so that the base sits on the rail squarely and fits right down into all the groves. This changes my shooting position as I have to collapse the stock a bit more to move my shooting eye forward. No big deal so far. And I like the idea of having the Magpul MBus Back up sights mounted on the rail at all time. (Front and Back Magpul MBus Sights on the rail) I had probably zeroed the scope/rifle with the Magpul MBus off the rail and the scope mounted at the very back end of the rail. Then when I added the Magpul Mbush on the back of the rail and move the RRA base/Nikon Scope forward it moved the POI higher than before. Once I figured out what was wrong I corrected this scope mount problem by moving it forward a bit and then zeroed the scope/rifle combo again and all was OK. I just have to remember to put the scope on the rail in the same spot each time. Now back to the EOTECH stuff.

Now the EOTech that I have came in the HHS 1 system which contains the G33 magnifier along with the EXPS3-4 unit. I bought mine from www.SWFA.com Online store. The purchase date was 1/20/14. Amazon has something to do with this too according to my paper work. The entire cost was right at $1005 including tax and shipping. EOTech offered a $60 rebate at the time and after a long time period and lots of delays I finally got the $60 rebate check in the mailbox. But I had to fight to get it as it was not forthcoming and it was a long drawn out process to finally get the rebate money.

The last two times out at the range I noticed that my EOTECH was making me shoot high over the top of the target at 200 yards. . I was about 7" or 8" high from the 2" diameter bulls eye on the 17" diameter Shoot N C type targets at 200 yards. Like I said I've been shooting my pistols most of the time since I got my Walther's PPQ M2 pistol back in Nov of 2013. So the EOTECH and the AR have been put into active storage for the most part.

A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to check out the Ambush Firearms AR15 after getting some newer bullets. I found some 5.56 M855 ammo on sale at the gun store and bough a box of 150 rounds cheap. I noticed that these were 62 gr FMJ type bullets M855 Green Tips. And since my Ambush Firearms AR15 has a 18" long Cold Hammer Forged Barrel with a 1:7 twist rate it's said to shoot heavier and longer bullets better.

I had been shooting Hornady .223 Rem 55 gr V-Max Bullets in the past. And the optics/rifle was zeroed with these bullets. These and the Remington Accu-tip bullets in 223 cal and 55 gr size. I've heard that these are basically the same bullets. They are both made by the same company but with different labels and boxes used. So I read. That may be wrong as I don't know for sure who makes them. But they are both 223 cal and have the plastic tip. The Hornady's use the red plastic colored tip and the Remington use the tan colored plastic tips.

In fact the M855 bullet was designed to shoot out of a 20 long barrel with a 1:7 twist rate. So I figured that I had hit a home run with this box of ammo. I did some reading about the M855 bullets on the web at Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO

When I went to the range I found that when I put the EXPS 3-4 and the G33 on the rail and started to shoot at the 25 meter range that I was hitting the bulls eye (2" diameter orange circle on the large Shoot N C target) but it was in the lower left part of the 2" diameter bulls eye. But still it was on target and the precision of all three rounds was good. Two were touching each other with the other about 1/8" away from the first two. It was around 70 deg F outside but a little windy and overcast. I was still happy with my EOTECH HWS at this time. Then I moved down to the 200 yard range. Now I take the EOTECH stuff off the rail when I move from one place to the next except while out hunting. It makes it easier knowing that the expensive optics are packed back inside their foam lined protective case when I'm moving them around. I keep the AR15 in a soft case and if I kept the optics on the rifle and moved it around inside a soft case I feared that it might get knocked around on the rifle so I remove them before putting the rifle inside the soft carrying case. Even though the soft case is padded it's not a protective as a hard plastic case with padding.

When I got to the 200 yard range I put the EOTech system back on the rail and setup to shoot. I was shooting off a solid wooden bench at the range so that's not a problem. It's built rock solid and on a concrete pad. And I was using a Caldwell Tack Driver Shooting Bag with a Caldwell rear smaller bag for supporting the back end of the AR15..

Now I'm going to take the Lead Sled DFT out next time I get out to the 200 yard range and see if that helps with the shooting. But this time I didn't use it even though I had it in the truck with me.

I had two boxes of Hornady Superformance Match 223 75 gr. BTHP bullets. Not one of these hit the target this day. I suspected later that the zero has shifted by 8" high and that was why I could not hit the 17" Shoot N C target at 200 yard distance with the EOTECH HHS 1 system mounted on the Ambush Firearms AR15 rifle.

I had some American Eagle 5.56 55 gr. FMJ bullets as well as the 5.56 62gr M855 bullets. While shooting I got the spotting scope/tripod out and would take a look to see where or if I hit the 17" diameter large Shoot N C target at 200 yard down range. I finally saw that I was shooting high and made some downward adjustments on the EXPS3-4. Now each click on the windage and elevation of the EXPS3-4 is suppose to be 0.5 MOA according to the manual that came with my EOTech HHS 1 System. Note: the new online EOTech manual added the word "approximate" in front of the 0.5 MOA statement about the windage and elevation adjustments on the EXPS3-4 HWS. This was after the reports came out that the weapon was losing zero by up to 4 MOA due to exposure to extreme cold and heat. The specs in my January 2011 Operator's Manual for the EXPS3 HWS says -40 to 120 Deg F or -40 to 60 deg C operation range. This is the problem! The current online EXPS3 manual at EOTECH.com has removed the temperature range from the stats on these units as of yesterday.

I read recently within the last week that the Crane Naval Surface Warfare People have found that the EOTech systems shift Zero by up to 4 MOA when exposed to high or low or both extreme ambient temperatures. This can cause a shift of 4 MOA in the EXPS3-4 zero point. And this is exactly what I am finding in my EXPS3-4 EOTech.

I found that my shots were about 7" to 8" high when using the EOTech HHS 1 system at 200 yards. Well if 1 MOA at 100 yards is approx. 1 inch and at 200 yards the 2 MOA arc intersects the arc circle by about 2" then four MOA at 200 yards is about 8". BINGO! It all makes sense to me now. After being out in the hot garage this past summer and in the same garage during the cold winter the EOTech was finally exposed to extreme heat and cold over the past year when I was not using it. If I had keep this unit inside like I did when I first got it I may have never noticed this problem. And I must admit that I was thinking about the Warning that I've been reading about online from at least two other forums dealing with AR15. AR15.com and another forum about M4 carbines.

While still at the 200 yard range I adjusted the wind-age and the elevation to correct the zero and after many shots and further readjustments I finally got the unit back on target and started hitting the bulls eye. But by this time the range was closing. So I need to return to the range and double check my findings. I also noticed that the distinct clicking noise on the dials was not present on one of them. One dial would make a very distinct clicking noise when I turned it in either direction. But the other dial was not doing this. The dial moved but I could not fell or near the distinct clicking noise anymore. It was soft of soft. I don't know how else to describe it. For this reason alone I may send it back in for repairs and review.

PS: I got this new in Jan 2014 so I have a month or two before my warranty runs out. I'm planning to call L3 EOTech and talk to them about this problem and ask them what they are going to do and how that will effect my warranty. I may just want to sell the unit back to them and go with another optics system if they can't get this fixed. I fear that they will try to put me off until the warranty expires and I don't want that to happen. Not when I paid $1000 for this system.

I really loved my EXPS3-4 and hate to see this happening. The system is really designed to use in Close Combat Quarters and I think it's still good for that. 4 MOA is not very much at 10 yards vs 200 or 400 yards. I would not be using this system for long range shots knowing what I know now. I actually purchased this system to use while hunting coyotes at night as they might get in close and are quick. This is why I went with the EOTech HWS on my Ambush Firearms AR15 Rifle. I wanted both eyes open while hunting at night and I wanted to be able to shoot at and hit a fast moving coyote who might run into my area at night. I hunt by myself at night and need to be able to protect myself while out in the dark with only a flash light and my AR15 and Pistol for personal protection.

I should also make a big note that the EOTech manual Jan 2011 states that the Zero can change by up to 2 MOA when you take the unit off the rail and put it back on the rail. So the 4 MOA change could be explained in part by my taking the EXPS 3-4 off the rifle's rail and then putting it back on again. But I'm pretty sure that in the past the Zero didn't shift very much when I removed the unit and put it back on the rail. But back then I was keeping the unit inside the house and it was not being exposed to high or low temperature. I was shooting when it was between 70 to maybe 85 deg F outside and I keep my house at a constant 70 to 75 deg F. Yes I keep the house air conditioned even at night during the winter and summer. I don't worry too much about the house temp in the spring and fall when it's nice outside. But the point is the EOTech system was protected from extreme temperatures both in storage and when shooting when I first got it back in Jan 2014. It was the Winter of 2015 and the summer of 2015 that the EXPS 3-4 got exposed to the high and low temperatures while stored in my attached non conditioned garage. I keep it inside it's padded storage case and then inside a plastic box with a lid on the box. But this box sat on the concrete floor near the garage door which is not insulated. So the garage flood could have gotten down to around zero at times this past winter and this past summer the garage could easily have gotten up to about 95 deg F at times.

And with the G33 I thought I had the best of both worlds until recently. 8" high at 200 yards is not want I want on my optic system. IE I'm not happy with a 4 MOA shift in my zero point.

PSS: I wasted 46 bucks (2 boxes of Hornady Superformance Match Ammunition) on ammo trying to get this optics system back on target at the range the last two times. This can not stand. And I was thinking that maybe it was due to the wind or my not mounting the EXPS 3-4 on the rail properly. But I tripled check the mount and it was on right all the time. The Laser beam is evidently shifting the reticle when it's heated and cooled too much. Remember that metals expand and contract with heat. So now I'm wondering how the Laser beams are held in place inside the EXPS3-4 system and if the materials are expanding and shrinking unevenly with high and low temps? If that is the root cause of the problem I wonder how that can be fixed?

samuse
10-25-15, 09:24
Never owned one, but have seen numerous ones quit. I was using a borrowed rifle one time for literally a few minutes and the EOTech on it turned itself off and on a few times. Owner said 'It never does that'. It died before I handed it back to him. This was in 2011 and was one with CR123 batteries.

First and last time I ever shot an EO myself.

SteveL
10-25-15, 12:53
I have an EXPS3-0 (CR123 model) that I bought new. I'm currently waiting for it to return from repair for the reticle fading and disappearing at the bottom of the sight glass. I love the reticle and can shoot better with it than I can with an Aimpoint (astigmatism) but I'll never fully trust it again. Luckily for me, Eotech is fixing it free of charge even though it's a couple months out of warranty. Not sure at this point if I'll keep it or try to sell it when it comes back.

Coyotehunter_
10-25-15, 13:28
Never owned one, but have seen numerous ones quit. I was using a borrowed rifle one time for literally a few minutes and the EOTech on it turned itself off and on a few times. Owner said 'It never does that'. It died before I handed it back to him. This was in 2011 and was one with CR123 batteries.

First and last time I ever shot an EO myself.

When the battery is about to go dead it's suppose to blink and turn off to tell you that the battery needs to be replaced. That's explained in the How to trouble shoot page on the Eotechinc.com/ web site. I was there today and read about that. So that's normal. All he had to do was replace the old C123 battery with a new one to get the EOTech back into operation.

And if you change environments all you really need to do is re zero the weapon. However I did notice that the adjustment knobs didn't seem to be solidly clicking into place on at least one of them.

Wake27
10-25-15, 15:21
That is one of the longest posts I have ever read, with so many side tangents that I quit halfway through. No optic is truly return to zero, even though some mounts (BOBRO) are damn close. Every time you remove an optic, it has to go back to on the rail at the same spot. And it still would be re-zero'd. And different ammo will produce different results. Pretty basic stuff, at least in the first 3 million words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samuse
10-25-15, 16:50
That is one of the longest posts I have ever read

It was ridiculously long. So you quoted it and trashed this page with it too?

JSantoro
10-25-15, 17:01
The need to quote an entire post (particularly one with images) when the response is only relevant to a sentence or two, given that a quote response field provides the ability to delete all but the specific thing(s) relevant to the reply...is a curiosity none of us will ever be able to fathom.

P2000
10-25-15, 20:50
In I had an "issue" with my N cell model (purchased in 2008 if memory serves me right). It would use batteries even when turned off. About every 2-3 months I would have to change the battery, with very light use. Once it sat with fresh batteries and zero usage for a few months, then I hit the range and it was flashing at me after being on for only a few hours.

My reasoning for purchasing the N model, was that I had read bad things about the AA model, something about the battery springs went bad, and that AA batteries don't like the recoil ect. I thought the N batteries were smaller, so they would have less inertia under recoil. I was wiling to replace the batteries more often. I did not think it would drink them while I was sleeping.

This lead me to purchasing several packages of N batteries at a time. Unfortunately, once I must have grabbed the incorrect batteries along with a fistful of some N batteries. They were nearly identical size 9 or 12 volt batteries IIRC, and upon installation instantly fried my EOtech. I sent in an RMA, told them what happened, and it cost about 40-50 bucks to fix and was a fast and painless process. I have no complaints with their CS.

I sold that EoTech to my father. He loves it. Now I drink the Aimpoint Kool-Aide by the gallon.