PDA

View Full Version : Sig MK25 questions

ejewels
01-09-12, 16:44
Hey All,

I've recently noticed the P226 comes as a MK25 version. Its supposed to be the same exact model issued to the Navy (seals). Any of you actual military guys or sig experts can confirm this is in fact, the real deal? If so, I may need to get one just for the cool factor...

Microalign
01-09-12, 18:01
Good question. I'm thinking it is more of a tacti-cool marketing gimick for you to spend a couple of extra dollars on versus the standard P226.

Timbonez
01-09-12, 18:27
It's a marketing gimmick, but it does apparently have the features of a NSW SIG. This means it has the phosphated internals and controls to fight corrosion in salty environments. It also has night sights, which is nice. The anchor and the UID label are stupid and serve no purpose. If you're buying a gun like that because "OMG, the SEALs use it" then you should probably rethink your priorities. I understand there are people who like to collect certain guns (myself included), but this pistol isn't a real Mk 25 and holds no collector value whatsoever.

If you want to get this for the "cool factor," well it's your money. Enjoy it and post a report on it if you do buy one.

chuckman
01-09-12, 18:45
Buy a 226 and have the internals phosphated. The MK25 is a marketing gimmick.

ejewels
01-09-12, 19:11
Thanks for the responses. So I'm confused, if it has everything identical to the MK25... why isn't it a MK25?

K Town
01-09-12, 19:49
Thanks for the responses. So I'm confused, if it has everything identical to the MK25... why isn't it a MK25?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but since it's not coming directly off the Navy's armory rack under a contract order and being issued to you it does not receive the "official" Mk designation. Since Sig is the manufacture and owns the rights to the 226 they can slap any name they want on a model and ship it just like how Daniel Defense supplies and sells Mk18 uppers to both military and civilian. Technically the only way to own a "real" Mk18 is to be issued one even though DD doesn't change a single thing between civilian and military orders (Well maybe the box but you what I mean TDP wise).

ejewels
01-09-12, 19:53
Ya, thats my question... regardless of actually being officially designated to a person and in the actual Navy, is the gun exactly the same as the SEALs are issued?

K Town
01-09-12, 20:04
Ya, thats my question... regardless of actually being officially designated to a person and in the actual Navy, is the gun exactly the same as the SEALs are issued?

So far yes. Sig is actually phosphate coating the internals (Which was absent on the Navy models) and uses the 1913 rail on the frame instead of the normal curved rail found on the 226R.

The Mk25 will catch some heat here not because it's broken right from the box (Do not ****ing derail this thread with Sig's QC problems, we have an entire thread on here dedicated to that topic) but because of the marketing that Sig is using to sell it. If the Mk25 fits what YOU need then run with it and and give the the finger to anyone how tells you others wise. But like others have said before, if your looking at it just because the Seals use it, they you need to reevaluate your pistol purchase priorities.

S-1
01-09-12, 20:15
Someone on SIG Forum asked a SIG rep about this gun. Here's the questions and answers.

Q- Are there any other differences between the Mk 25 and the commercial Navy?
A- The MK25 has a true 1913 Rail in place of the original classic rail
Q- What is the green coating in other Navy SIG's? Is that the phosphated internals? What exactly are the "internals" that are given the anti-saltwater corrosion coating?
Is it only the Navy model that has this coating?
A- Its the phosphate coating. I will pull a bill of material and send you a list of the coated parts. Yes the Navy model is the only current pistol in production using coated parts- I am sure for contracts SIG has added corrosion protection to many of there pistols they have sold to governments or agencies over the years.
Q- What is used as the anti-corrosion coating on the Navy now? Is it the nickel that's on mine?
A- The parts are phosphate or nickel plated depending on were they are and their purpose.

I believe that they come with SIG Night Sights (Meps) and 3 mags. If you want the above, and have a need for the "coated" parts (fwiw, my regular P226R has shown no signs of rust after years of carrying it in the elements) then it may be a good deal. The UID tag (WHY?) and the anchor are gimmicks and don't add to the value of the gun, imo.

Turnkey11
01-09-12, 20:53
I brought the idea of buying a Navy Anchor 226 up to an indivudual a few years back who was issued a 226 in the Navy, and his response turned me onto the 226 Elite instead. If I wanted a colector or reenactment piece, or lived on a sailboat the MK25 would get consideration, but the Elite brings the Karl Nill grips, beavertail, and short reset trigger with a price tag not much more than the MK25's.

xrayoneone
01-09-12, 21:13
My understanding is Sig produced a bunch of these a few years ago and the proceeds went to the Wounded Warrior program, or another similar organization chime in if you know which, and those were supposed to be as close to Mk25 as possible. Now it sounds like they just slap the anchor on it for marketing.

As far as corrosion resistance goes I've dealt with enough 229's that had rusted internals to doubt that they do anything to them. A big weak point is the magazine catch spring as it sits close to the body and it rusts fairly quickly. I always place a drop of oil around the magazine catch and work it a few times to get it into the spring. If you don’t you’ll be in for a surprise. Though in Sig’s defense the 229s that I’ve seen screwed up were the direct result of criminal neglect by the end users.

Not bashing Sigs as I trust mine with my life. Just bashing the stupidity of users that have an aversion to weapons maintenance.

ejewels
01-09-12, 21:14
Ya, this would be more of a "cool" gun as a collectors item. By no means would I buy it just cuz the seals use it... more as a collectors thing. But anyways, thanks guys... sounds like it is in fact the exact gun issued.

mrosamilia
01-09-12, 21:47
500 rounds through mine this past weekend. I must add that it comes with a certificate of authenticity for what it's worth. I had zero issues and also noticed that the mags had a very slick shiny coating when compared to my other mags from Sig.

MJLman
01-09-12, 21:55
My understanding is that any 226 Navy with a "U" serial prefix has the coated internals. None the less, as a multiple sig owner the video marketing the gun on the website is enough to turn me off.

S-1
01-10-12, 02:21
My understanding is that any 226 Navy with a "U" serial prefix has the coated internals. None the less, as a multiple sig owner the video marketing the gun on the website is enough to turn me off.

It was meant to be a joke. It even says so above the video, iirc.

chuckman
01-10-12, 04:55

Unless the Navy 226 runs under different SNs, my 226 has a U 383 XXX SN which puts in around 1988, and I assure you there is nothing special about the internals. I will say I take care of it, so there is no rust. Maybe it does have coated internals! :)

Vendetta
01-10-12, 11:00
It looks like all they did was discontinue the Navy model, change the trigger, add the tag on the right side of the slide, and add night sights. Here's the Navy I bought to replace my issued 226 DAK. I tried taking photos of the top of the slide to show the wear on the phosphate coated barrel. You can tell where the parts are coated, it has a grey, rougher coat than other Sig parts. I also took a photo of the phosphate mags compared to an older 226 mag I have. I added the night sights and switched the triggers out, this pretty much looks like all Sig did to go from the Navy to the Mk25 model they are currently selling.

As far as the serial numbers go, the original NSW models, when they still contributed money to the foundation, all had NSW in them, they also did not have the rail on them. The serial numbers now all have the standard Sig serial numbers they use on the other pistols.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/BClendening86/Weapons/IMG_3453-1.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/BClendening86/Weapons/IMG_3452-1.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/BClendening86/Weapons/IMG_3454.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/BClendening86/Weapons/IMG_3455.jpg

loupav
01-10-12, 14:33
Here is my old school" Sig P226 Navy.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/loupav/CIMG6928.jpg

Vendetta, I do believe you are correct, that's exactly what I heard many years ago. Above is a picture of my Sig P226 Navy with standard serial number and no rail.

streck
01-10-12, 15:26
The Mk25 is what the original P226 Navy was.

Outside of the initial production run, the Navy model was just a P226 with an anchor. They no longer had the coated internals.
With the Mk25, they have returned to the configuration that was the original Navy.

Basically, for the last few years, the P226 Navy has been a marketing gimmick and now is discontinued.

The freaking UID label on a commercial gun is redunculous joke. I wouldn't want it.

MJLman
01-10-12, 18:34
It was meant to be a joke. It even says so above the video, iirc.

I get that it’s a joke, but none the less, a pretty terrible attempt at one.

Mjolnir
01-11-12, 20:23
Buy a 226 and have the internals phosphated. The MK25 is a marketing gimmick.

Better yet try WDLC or TiAlN or Nickel Boron.