PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned with this?

m16
01-09-12, 17:03
FNG checking in.

I just bought a Lilja-Nordic barrel and I am sticking it in a Vltor MUR.

Here is the result:

Notice the left ramp is slightly off, this creates a small, sharp burr on the outer edge that looks MUCH worse when viewed from the tail of the upper - it's hard to get a good pic because of the angle.

Is this a big deal? Please advise.

Reagans Rascals
01-09-12, 17:05
It may cause feeding issues.

I'd run it, and if there are issues I'd return it and ask them to fix the extension, if they won't I'd either replace it myself or in a worst case scenario, attempt to de-burr it with a dremel.

C4IGrant
01-09-12, 18:02
Blend in the ramp to the barrel extension and then polish the barrel extension ramps.

C4

MarkG
01-09-12, 18:27
It will run fine. No grinding or polishing necessary...

C4IGrant
01-09-12, 18:53

Burrs in the barrel extension feed ramps are pretty common. They can also be so small that the human eye cannot see them. The bullet then drags on them causing a mafunction. This is why it normally a good idea to ALWAYS polish the ramps.

C4

m16
01-09-12, 21:52
Roger that, it will be dealt with.

I was more worried about gouging up the jackets than feeding issues.

I haven't hand-cycled any ammo through it yet, the upper isn't even complete.

Thanks for the input!

markm
01-10-12, 07:40

Completely agree....

I've had much worse alignment on that, and the gun still ran wonderfully.

Plus.. you don't want to be removing any annodizing on the upper if possible. You risk doing more harm than good by messing with this.

seb5
01-10-12, 18:43
It it were mine and it either was a problem or I couldn't live with it I would pull the barrel and use a small gunsmithing file to take the burr off so as not to hit the aluminum upper, reassemble, and check for fit, then shoot for function.

BUBBAGUNS
01-16-12, 02:47
It it were mine and it either was a problem or I couldn't live with it I would pull the barrel and use a small gunsmithing file to take the burr off so as not to hit the aluminum upper, reassemble, and check for fit, then shoot for function.

I would do this.

WartHog
01-16-12, 18:30
I would polish it and then run it!

ricksterr
02-05-12, 23:04
I would just shoot a lot and see if it's actually causing you any problems before resorting to the dremel.