PDA

View Full Version : Good all-around Surefire handheld light

Clyde from Carolina
01-09-12, 17:39
Okay, I know this may be a bit of a duplication with the "Handheld Light" thread, but hopefully when I get a little more specific it won't be too bad.

I've been reading threads here and on Candlepower forums, and it seems lights have really changed a lot since I bought my old standby SF 9P convertible and pocket Streamlight Scorpion a dozen years ago.

The 9P went missing at work, and I bought a Fenix PD32 to play with until I checked out this situation a little more. Seemed neat and a lot of light for the money. Unfortunately, they also seem to have some cheap parts that go dead with a disturbing frequency according to what I am reading here and elsewhere.

So, I still like Surefire quality. I would feel warmer and fuzzier with a smallish, general purpose SF handheld light. Something about the size of the old 6P, with more lumens maybe, LED, and if possible, a push-click tailcap or the capability of being upgraded with one. I never warmed up to the standard SF tailcaps too much.

Does such a beast exist?

OR--

What is, in your opinion, the best Surefire or non-SF, but still high quality smallish "tactical" light about the size of my old Streamlight Scorpion or Fenix PD32?

Smash
01-09-12, 18:28
Go to GR Tactical and get the g2x pro. Good handling push tail cap. 200 lumens. It's a good flash light, I bought two as gifts for Christmas and people that didn't get them asked me where they could purchase them.

TehLlama
01-09-12, 20:13
G2X, or maybe the VTAC version of the E2 LED

Smash
01-09-12, 20:27
I've got the E2D LED(2nd one, lost the other one crabbing on the beach - don't ask, sore subject). But it's my go to and it's got a great beveled face peeler on the business end that's fun for all parties involved.

subzero
01-10-12, 08:08
I like the E1B and the E2D LED or VTAC L4 with the E1B style tailcap instead of the shrouded or scalloped one. I don't like the pocket clip on the E2D or L4 but they're both good powerful lights that are uncomplicated. The E1B is a great little light but the pocket clip can get boogered up leading to the light getting lost. After I lost my 2nd one, I stopped carrying it.

But the LX2s pocket clip, power, size and switching makes it the best EDC light they make in my eyes.

Having said that, I'll take my 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical with the deep carry pocket clip over any of the three.

mkmckinley
01-10-12, 08:24
The LX2s are awesome as come with the best tailcap/UI in the biz IMO. I also have a couple of the newer G2X Pros and they seem to be good lights as well so far.

01-12-12, 19:17
I've used an LX2 for the last year and a half and am very happy with it. Plenty bight and in my opinion not too big for pocket carry.

SeriousStudent
01-12-12, 19:55
LA Police Gear has a Surefire 9P on clearance for $44, and a 6P on clearance for $40.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire-9p-closeout.html

http://www.lapolicegear.com/bn-sf-6p-gm.html

Not too shabby. I upgraded a 9P with a higher lumen output LED, and it stops just short of smelting lead. Handy for the glove box, when you need something to reach out and light up a distant object.

Good luck to you, what ever you choose.

bleaman225
01-12-12, 20:38
I would suggest the VTAC L4 Mini. Just swap out the tailcap as subzero also mentioned. It's small, light and bright.

http://vikingtactics.com/lightsmounts_surefirel4mini.html

I started with an E1B but never liked the dual output head. So I took the E1B body and a Mini-Scout head (KX1A) and made my own. Unfortunately, this was before VTAC started selling their setup. I ended up with the exact same thing as I linked to except I paid a lot more to get what I wanted. I always point people at the L4mini. If I lose mine or find myself needing another, I will buy the VTAC mini.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/benleaman/IMG_0035.jpg

Edited to add: I also really like the E2D LED with a un-shrouded tailcap.

JSGlock34
01-12-12, 21:18
I've found that the E1B in my pocket beats the Z2 in my drawer. Much prefer the smaller lights that I can carry around, though I have several G2X and older G2L flashlights in the cars and around the house.

As far as a non-Surefire light, I also like the 4 Sevens Quark 123 Tactical. Slightly smaller than the E1B, but adds strobe and other modes.

Clyde from Carolina
01-13-12, 00:43
This is all very good information and food for thought. Thanks, gents.

As far as a classic 6P, what would be the go-to LED upgrade for one of these?

The Quark and VTAC look very interesting also.

oef24
01-13-12, 00:47
If you are going to carry the light everywhere, I can only suggest the VTAC L4 series. I have a few older E1b's and am trying to find a KX1A head to get the same setup as the VTAC Mini-L4. The size, clip and clicky are touch to beat.
For home and/or other uses, it is touch to beat the 6PX tactical with 200 lumens.

O

oef24
01-13-12, 00:54
This is all very good information and food for thought. Thanks, gents.

The Quark and VTAC look very interesting also.

Clyde, I have had good luck with the Thrunite P60 style drop-in for the 6P. They go for around $30 and will give you 400 lumens OTF. They offer a few varieties with different modes but I like to stick with single mode high. Pay attention to the voltage on some of the drop-ins because some of them will run on 2 regular CR123's and some will run on a single 4.2V 18650 rechargeable. Thrunite makes a model that will run on 2 RCR123's (8.4 volts total). If you opt for the 18650, it won't fit in your 6P because it is too fat.
Another route for the 6P is a Malkoff drop-in. They are built like a tank. They are not as inexpensive as the Thrunite and you could probably purchase a 6PX tactical on the EE for the price of the Malkoff drop-in. Good luck.

O

rob_s
01-13-12, 05:31
OP, stay away from candlepower forums. They'll have you thinking that the only acceptable lights are made offshore and have a 75-setting tailcap, 54-setting bezel, and if you push and turn enough times a disco ball will launch from the light and fly around your attacker while playing "Dancing Queen" at 200 dB.

That out of the way...

Are you looking for a light to carry every day? I have tried and tried to carry lights, but as a skinny guy (6'1, 175-180 lbs) I don't have a lot of room to be dedicating to them.

For a non-carry light, or if you have more room, the new Surefire G2x gets my vote.

For a non-carry, inexpensive, leave-one-in-every-room-of-the-house light I like my Streamlight Polytac LED[url]. You can find them for $35 and I now have one in almost every room of my house (the other rooms have old incan Surefires that I don't use for anything else).

For a carry light, the closest I came to finding one that worked for me was the [URL="http://www.surefire.com/E1B-Backup"]Surefire E1B (http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=159). I lost mine in a move but I'm almost positive it's around here somewhere. The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is the push-through switching from low to high instead of the double-click. If I replace it I'm going to look for the silver one due to aforementioned "losing" (all my Streamlights are yellow, as are any Surefires I own that can be had in that color).

JSGlock34
01-13-12, 06:36

Plenty of places still have the Surefire P60L lamp assembly for sale. Simple, drop in lamp replacement to convert the original 6P to a LED.

markm
01-13-12, 07:18
What is, in your opinion, the best Surefire or non-SF, but still high quality smallish "tactical" light about the size of my old Streamlight Scorpion or Fenix PD32?

I'd go with the SolarForce L2m. My dizzy broad has mine. The body is modular to where you can run it with 1 or 2 C123a batteries.

Plenty bright, nice and compact, reliable, and best of all CHEAP. Good clicky tail cap too.

I'm running no less than 7 SolarForce lights for hand held and weapon mounted lights. I've beaten them pretty badly and they hold up.