PDA

View Full Version : My 1911 (and other pistol) experiences

mike240
01-09-12, 23:08
After reading a few recent threads I thought I would start my own. As you can see by my post count and earliest post-date I have been around here for quite a while. Mainly as a lurker and before M4C existed and most of you “old timers” were at TOS. And I have learned much here from many of you. This post is long and should bring my post count up a few hundred. I read things and usually just bite my tongue, forget about it and figure “what the hell”, it doesn’t effect me. After a lot of reading here and on other forums I just thought I would share some personal history and experiences.

I got my first 1911 (a new Colt series 70 Gov’t Model) when I was 16. Nearly 33 years later I have had quite a few pass through my hands (owned, loaned, provided to troubleshoot etc) of nearly all makes including semi customs (NHs, Wilsons, Baers) and one man shop customs. I currently own 10 (3 Colts, 3 Kimbers, 3 SAs and a SW E series I have not shot yet. All are 5 inch guns but one Kimber TLE Pro and a SA EMP in .40SW.

I have shot and carried them for fun, competition and on and off for work over the years. When authorized, I always carried the 1911 over anything else; though have been forced to carry Sig 220s, SW 3rd Gens, Glocks and even revos in the the beginning! I have been trained and trained others on all those systems (and others) as well as trained to work on most of them. I am always intrigued at all the 1911 talk and especially the Kimbers.

I have always run with a group of 1911 fans and have shot many custom 1911s owned by TGO, Burkett and others. Around here there are many good pistolsmiths and top competitors that use Rio Salado as home base and a test range.

About 4 years ago I went back to shooting 1911s exclusively since I prefer them and despite at the time still being required to carry a Glock. After leaving SWAT and going to K9, I spent more time on duty with a lead in my hand than a gun (relying on the cover of others)or my SBR covering other dog handlers on searches. My last two years of carrying the Glock, the only time I fired it was in mandatory in service training and qualifications.

Approximately 2.5 years ago our boss approved the 1911 for duty carry!

At the start of this period I put 14000 rounds (12-14 months) through ONE 1911 without ever cleaning it. We met and shot every Friday and usually a couple Mondays a month too. Every couple outings I would usually put a drop of oil at the front of the barrel hood; lock the slide back-lay a drop on each slide rail groove and a drop on the end of the barrel for the bushing. I never changed or broke a part, nor did I ever change ANY spring. I used Wilson 47DE 8 rounders and never cleaned them either. I shot all my reloads (which is how I know how much I went through due to the receipts). I did not have any issues that were not purely attributed to damaged rims on a case early on (a lesson learned I will mention later).

The pistol? A 2003 model Kimber Team Match II .45 with the “dreaded” external extractor (the Team Match guns had the one unique cut, tool steel EE that the other models did not get) and Swartz safety. And that gun had been well shot in the years prior to this. If the receiver splits in half tomorrow, I have gotten my money’s worth from this gun and would have no regrets, though I would miss it. I still have problems marrying up to that new SA Trophy Match.

Why did I do it? There was talk of the officer’s union trying to get the Chief to approve 1911s and the command staff was divided based on all the myths and rumors about the pistol. The same way most old Chiefs felt about the AR system in the 80s and most of the 90s (our chief at the time was a ‘nam vet that still held on to his old and mis-guided opinions of the M16).

So, I wanted to see what would happen. Most cops will not shoot that much in 10 years. Since my “Friday” group of shooters were mostly instructors from my agency I thought it would be good for them to see it too. I finally cleaned it and the mags the night before the state IDPA match and worried it wouldn’t work clean!

I cannot give round counts on all my guns. I would try to keep records but soon forget and cared for shooting more than cleaning and secretarial work. Even in snipers, the round count log soon meant nothing. When I supervised them, a couple times I would hear one say “Time for rebarrel, I am at 8ooo rounds!” though the gun still shot ¾ moa. Everything can and will break and identical items will break at random intervals; so …screw it. But I can tell you that I shoot my guns and do not get caught up in all the replacement interval hype. The last time you know for sure your gun worked was the last round you fired. That is why you carry a back up or two and another in the unit…a backup rifle too for that matter!

When FBI HRT got their Baers and mostly SA custom shop guns; one of their week long transition schools (taught by Jerry Barnhart-I think 1997 but would have to find the certificate) was in sunny AZ during the winter. I was invited to fill a slot as well. 2500-3500 rounds were fired in that course, all of it the FBIs duty load, Rem Golden Sabre (I think…). I brought ammo but they gave me theirs, so I shot it. There were some local FBI SWAT guys I knew there too that were running lower grade SA (since the local teams did not get the “great” guns. I got tired of the class coming to a halt to fix and clean the “great” guns that quit functioning (or did they? Shooter induced and blamed on too tight a tolerances? More later on that)….What did I use in that class? My original Colt Series 70. No issues though I did clean it every night, but that was after nearly a 1000 rounds per day!

Of all my 1911s this Colt Series 70 is the ONLY one that has ever had any internal work to it. In 1986, our then rangemaster throated and polished it because it had issues with our department ammo. But it seems all the older Colts needed this. Later (thanks to AzDoug ,M4C member in 1991) the front strap was undercut and checkered, sights changed, thumb and grip safety changed and a SA mag guide added and blended. Then all the lower parts and receiver were nickel finished.

My primary uniformed, duty gun is a Kimber Warrior (uh oh, boo hiss) since the 1911 got approved. “Oh no, how could you trust your life to that? Haven’t you read the internet and Yam’s article?” Yes, I have. I took from it what there was to learn from his experience. That is not a personal attack on Mr. Yam, just a differing opinion based on experiences (not as large a sampling, I know), as you will read.

But my Warrior has been dead nut reliable with no parts breakages. Other than the Smith Alexander mag guide/mainspring housing, some grip tape on the front strap, an SF X300 and a pair of stippled Ergo grips; it is in original condition…untouched and un-tuned. It was my first railed 1911 and bought in very nearly new condition for 800 bucks from an accountant type who bought one to try but preferred his Glock. For nearly three years it has been the “Friday” and in-service training pistol unless I knew there was no enough time to clean it before Friday night’s shift (yes, I do however clean my duty guns, per policy).

In all these years, and all these 1911s I have owned , I have had ONE part break. That was an extractor claw broke off of my “custom, hand-built, one man shop” 2011 in .40SW. I suspect it was poorly done as it broke at about the 400 round mark. I fitted an Ed Brown model myself and sold it a few hundred rounds later….limited class was not for me anyway. Nor was loading long for it and resetting dies for the SA .40 single stack I have.

I have been present to see an extended ejector on a 3 inch Kimber CDP turned into a GI length ejector after 1000 or so rounds. The owner did not know it till he cleaned it. He called Kimber, they sent a new one with pin and I replaced it-no fitting needed.

Yeah, I know it was MIM. Others use MIM. And Wilson has and publicly had no issue with it. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/125106-what-wilson-combat-thinks-mim-parts-1911s.html.

I am no metallurgist and am sure there is shit MIM and good MIM as well as shit steel and good steel. Whatever, this is really not a discussion on the MIM vs. non MIM part debate (that will still be going on a hundred years from now like 9mm vs. .45). The fact is those short guns are violent and a shooter with good technique continued to run the gun flawlessly without the extended arm on the ejector. And did you notice the Wilson polymer short guide rod talk in the listed link? I never heard of that.

Funny how proper technique does away with a lot of the gadgets and mods that makers and users put on guns!

While we’re on parts breakage and handgun issues…
We have full time range/firearms instructors/armorers staff (a sergeant and two, sometimes three officers) plus several adjuncts who have full time assignments elsewhere in the department. I had that job for about four years in addition to SWAT member/trainer/coordinator when there were only two us assigned there.

Every year, every gun is torn down and inspected, detailed cleaned, repaired etc. We issue G17s, G19s and G26s. Also approved nearly all other Glocks in .40 and .45 and had some Sig 226s and 220s and SW 5906s “grandfathered” in. Plus a list of others approved for backup and off duty carry, rifles, shotguns and subguns. If carried in a “law enforcement capacity” it was torn down, department owned or not.

When talking about 1911s many praise just about anything over the 1911. I have been through all (prior to Gen 4s) the Glock recalls (though they never used that word, they preferred upgrades), slide replacements, extractor and EDP bearing upgrades, recoil spring guide rod changes, mag and mag follower issues and cracked frame and slide recalls.

I had a reliable 220 crap on me after a DPS rebuild when a brand new trigger return spring broke with less than a 100 rounds on it during a USMC JTF-6 CQB school. Several of the 220s (made in Germany) locking blocks broke in the 80 and 90s, mine included.

I have seen several and experienced one SW extractor eject itself from the slide as well as the right side decocking lever from 5906s. I have seen and had more than one Glock extractor chip off so bad in training that it would not extract at all. Not to mention the Glock slide stop levers whose spring broke or had to be trimmed to prevent rounds in the mag causing the loaded pistol to go into slide lock. According to TGO who runs some classes for Delta, they removed all the slide stop levers from their G22s for these very reasons. I do not know if the “D” boys are still running or experimenting with Glocks.

We got a batch of consecutively numbered (I think 60) G17s in the late 90s with factory Trijicon NSs. To zero any of them the rear sight was drifted so far to the right, it extended over the slide, snagging everything and cutting hands doing clearance drills. Glock blamed Trijicon and vice versa. After a lot of haggling, measuring and bitching Glock took them back. The sights were right….slides were bad…and not the rear sight dovetail either.

Everyone has a bad one, or even a bad batch once in a great while. We’ve had a couple Colt ARs with barrels so loose they couldn’t zero (loose barrel nuts) and a couple 6920s that were short chambered. Maybe a lazy employee, maybe a bad batch of parts from outside contractor, maybe a bad gauge or tool no one caught in time. No hard feelings on what is usually a proven product….just make it right in a timely fashion with no excuses. Gun makers could learn from the auto industry in this area.

We thought Glock’s customer service was great for years till a certain regional rep was “released”. Then we found out they had a hard time doing right to even larger customers. Must have been that whole “Perfection” thing and all. I haven’t had to deal with big reps and contracts personally for about 10 years; so maybe things are better.

And don’t get me started on HK of old. We’d call HK in VA for MP5 parts when nearly everyone was still using subguns for entry; and couldn’t get a part at all! Maybe that hasn’t changed since my old units 416s are shit and they are in the process of trading them off.

Do not get me wrong, Glock pistols have served me, my agency and many others well. Very well. But they are far from perfect and I have seen more go wrong or need replaced on them than any 1911 I have owned or been around.

So with “all” this 1911 experience that I have (others in my agency talking, not me…it is easy being a big fish in a little pond of 350) I was tasked with writing responses, policies and training courses during the approval process and giving them to a neighboring agency who just got 1911s approved too (the only two municipal agencies in the Phx area). I teach the transition class and brought AzDoug to the instructor “Train the Trainer” class to assist.

Over the last 25 years or so, I have learned more about guns, shooting guns and repairing guns from AzDoug than I could ever remember! He can build from scratch.

Why have Glocks been so successful in LE? They are very forgiving (no Gen 4 experience). Agencies loved them, less remedial training. They are “under sprung” for their caliber doing away with most all the shooter induced malfunctions we all saw in the Sigs, SW etc. They are easy to shoot. And many a good shooter has gotten lazy after shooting them for years. Example (one of many): Big, very big, muscles on muscles retired Alq PD SWAT guy comes to our PD. Carried 1911s for years. Glock 21 for three years with us. Buys new Kimber Tactical Entry HD and has stoppage after stoppage. I grab the gun and run a few courses (I am like half this guys size and strength) – no issues, at all. His mouth hangs open as I tell him to man up and and hold the gun right. No more problems. He later laughs and agrees the Glock is forgiving, very forgiving. Later goes through the transition course with no problem. Some try the transition course and opt to stay with the Glock. Good for them. I respect a wise decision like that. To run the 1911 well you had better marry it and for that first year after years of Glock, I tell them shoot, shoot, shoot-it is a different animal!

I have found this many times with 1911s. People have issues send them back to the factory. Factory says its fine just shoot it. They do it, still does not work (for them). A 1911 guy shoots it, it runs fine. I have bought a few this way. The owner says something like well it likes you, so here. Some guns are easy and forgiving and others require consistent good technique. If you shoot a lot in one session and start getting stoppages, don’t be too eager to blame the gun.

I have seen folks after a long day of training start getting stoppages with M4s. They get tired and fail to provide a solid platform for it to operate on.

These inconsistent testing comparisons get annoying, too many variables. Do them all from Ransom Rests, eliminate the human error. People brain fart, limp wrist a shot or two, whatever….guns are machines if they’re broke, they’re broke. They just don’t break every 5th, 10th or 1000th time without there being another outside contributing factor.

My theory on why Kimber says a 500 round break in period? They know that most gun owners are not real shooters. They hope they learn how to shoot the 1911 during this 500 rounds period and all those shooter induced stoppages go away. I never had to break in my Kimbers. Many here have said no gun should require break. Then came Gen 4 Glocks ….a break in was suddenly needed and deemed okay in Glock’s case. Or was it just that now that Glock started to put a proper spring under the barrel, some people had to learn how to shoot again?

Why put extended ejectors on everything when they are not needed? Why are many ARs “overgassed”? Why do makers say replace the recoil spring every 2000 rounds when it is really not needed? Why, why, why?

Because they do not want all those guns back in the warranty shop from people who have not learned to shoot properly or who feed the gun shit ammo. Do you really think that a pistol that send spent brass into the shooter's face is a gun problem? Rarely at best. What do you think Elmore and others are doing in their “reliability packages” to ARs? Simply put, “over-gassing” them. When I sole sourced 10 Commandos and a couple “real” M4s from him many years ago I knew that we would not always shoot mil spec ammo and our duty round did not have that kind of pressure. I took him cases of all three (practice, duty and shoot house) types we used and said to just make sure they all work or I will never hear the end of it (since some of the HK fanboys wanted that G36 abortion instead of Colts). At the end of the day, for the feared SHTF, Zombie invasion, etc gun everyone talks of having; I want it over gassed TDP be damned. I do not know what ammo may be found next! I want it to run, period.

Side note, DPMS donated a new AP4, I think, M4ish clone as a prize for the state police games a few years back. We made it a stage gun that everyone had to use on that stage. Zero’ed it the day before, cleaned and lubed it. Over the course of the day it ate 1400 rounds of American Eagle red box without a hiccup, or anymore cleaning and lube. Many shooters were concerned if they would get a reshoot if it failed. I ROed the stage and was concerned myself….a fluke you say. I don’t know, maybe.

We never seem to hear of head to head, apples to apples testing. Do all you can to eliminate all error to blame only the gun. Gauge each round, every round. I have found factory duty ammo with all types of errors. High primers, deformed cases, little or no crimp, damaged or burred rims, inconsistent powder charges and even upside down bullets. We would random sample from every lot. Shoot it for accuracy from a Ransom, gauge it, pull the bullets and weigh charges. It passed or the whole lot when back.

I mentioned the bad rims on reloads earlier when surely someone was thinking I was making an excuse; especially after learning the gun was a Kimber with EE. Well with 6-8 guys all shooting .45 from 1911s, a Glock and a XD; and cleaning up at the end you have no idea the source of the brass. I learned when mixing brass that my Dillon does not fully resize like a LEE die in a single stage press. Nor does the shell plate hold them to the same tolerance. I started using the LEE shell holder as a rim gauge. Amazing how many cases would go through the Dillon but not slide into and fully rotate 360 in the LEE shellholder. That makes me check and either discard the case or use a small swiss file and clean the extractor mark/burr out. With all these production guns dropping brass they all leave different and sometimes extreme abuse marks on the case head and rim. This can be a show stopper in a 1911 depending on extractor fit, requiring a knife to pry the case from under the claw. After I started rotating every round in the LEE shell holder…no problems, ever.

They talk of Kimbers needing chamber reaming. Not any of mine. If the case seats fully in the gauge under its own weight and drops freely from gravity it will do it in my Kimber barrels. If the cartridge fails, I resize it loaded in the single stage press with LEE die and try again. Sometimes the bullet is lifted requiring re-seating and crimping due to the varying tolerances in the 2000 projecticle boxes of Zero 230 gr FMJ that I use. But, this saves 95 percent of what years ago I would reject and pull. If it fails after that, it goes into a box to be shot from a Glock or XD someday. Cartridges that would not gauge will fully seat and rattle in my SAs and Colts.

A little about the Kimber EE in my experience. We all know how sensitive 1911 guys are about Browning’s original design. There were three different EEs that Kimber used that I have seen. Like Glock, they changed some angles and cuts. The Team Match guns are the only ones I am aware of that had a tool steel part. Not that I think it was the tool steel that made it work since many extractors in many guns are MIM or cast and work fine. But the Team Match had different cuts than any of the others and I have not ever found or read of a Team Match owner who complained.

The Kimber EE is very very Glockish when you pull it all out, though it does not use the solid rod of the Glock EDP. The extractor cannot “clock” regardless of the firing pin stop’s fit. It is forgiving in regards to clearance drills without damaging the claw or screwing with the tension of the fixed extractor. Frankly, I really like it. It is a drop in part. I have never even changed the spring. Did I say how many rounds this guns has fired?

It is hard for me to say with certainty what all the issues where with the Kimber EE. It was a costly venture for them to research, test and design it and retool to produce it. I have shot other Kimber models with the EE and never had an issue. I have had people give me their guns to trouble shoot with EEs that have always been Glock shooters and complained of stoppages on their first 1911. I would run the gun with their ammo and mine and never had issue. I would not shy from buying one. Kimber lost a ton on that one-design and then retroing many guns with new slides. I would have loved to have been given the opportunity to shoot them all before they put new slides on them! I have spoken to a few people back at Kimber about this and after telling them how I like the design and have had no issues, they say how costly and unnecessary most of the rebuilds were.

How is it that a fixed extractor on a 1911 is supposed to be replaced every 4000 rds. or whatever I keep reading? It only holds an empty case unsupported at about 4 lbs of pressure for a very short time. The rim slides up the breech face and under the claw. I don’t see it. Have never replaced or re tensioned any of mine. If they are quality and fit right I just do not get it. Unless you are doing hundreds of double feed clearing drills.

I am saying BUY KIMBER or nothing? No, I don’t give a shit what anyone buys. But despite all the hate talk everywhere you look, they are still in business and constantly expanding their line. They must be making money and since I have not heard of any tax payer funder Obama bail out for Kimber; the cop in me tells me that somewhere along the line there is some bias. There are great things about Colt, SAs and Kimbers. There are things I hate about each of them too. Like what?

Kimber hates:
• Kimber fails to see the need to hard anodize alloy frames anymore
• Kimber’s matte bluing sucks
• Kimber puts their sucky blue finish control parts on all models with “black” controls. Even those with KimPro finish. These wear fast and look like shit.
• Kimber fails to put ramped barrels in alloy framed .45s and again, no anodized frame
• Kimber uses anemic 30 lpi checking on all but the Gold Combat and these are only 24 lpi
• Kimber uses Swartz safety. Not a deal breaker for me but many are out of time which poses an issue those that do not grip the gun. Hell, one of mine is out of time and never knew it till recent discussion prompted testing. They will fix the timing issue, but it should have not left that way. They test fire but evidently do not test the timing of the device
• “Custom Shop” marked models is misleading. Its like Chevy of old. Custom, Cheyenne, Silverado. Same truck different appearance features.
• Front sights not pinned
• Customer service is reportedly hit or miss…I never needed it
• One year warranty. Could learn from SA on this

Kimber likes:
• Even base gun (Custom) is de-horned
• Interior is pretty much void of tool marks. Looks good and cleans easy
• Fit is very good, extractor is flush fit to slide. SA could learn from this!
• Many models with varying “options packages”. Like buying a car but do not ask for one thing less or one thing more. The whole package or nothing. No true custom shop
• Accuracy on most models about the same (cannot speak for Gold Combat or Super Match). But the base guns I have shot were better than other production base 1911s
• True “Colt” front strap radius. I know SA went back to it. SW does not
• My preferred high grip method under the trigger guard. I can tell a SA from Kimber blindfolded
• Prefer the ambi safety ala Kings style over Swensen
• Good feeling/breaking triggers…that last (at least mine)

Springfield hates:
• All but TRPs are like shooting a box of razor blades. They are sharp, everywhere. I can’t touch my Trophy Match or others without bleeding on it. Though I love that sharp SA 20 pli checkering! Even the rear slide serrations slice off the inside of my firing hand thumb while shooting. Tearing off that “slide callus” that takes so long to build!
• Frontstrap to triggerguard radius.
• Cannot seem to flush fit an extractor at all till you break the 1400 dollar mark. Even my pretty little EMPs extractor sticks out a good 35 thou
• Shitty triggers-could learn from Kimber on this for production gun, SWs is good too
• Two piece guide rods…two piece? Seen these loosen up and come on out. I am not a throw a good one piece away and make it all GI but come on, two piece?
• ILS
• Interior full of rough tool markings
• The Brazil v. USA thing
• And what is this from the custom shop? You mean this is not done prior to shipping?
o 1911-A1 Reliability Package: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $150.00
o 1. Deburr pistol internally
o 2. Tune extractor and ejector
o 3. Recut barrel throat and polish feed ramp
o 4. Check headspace
o 5. Polish breechface
o 6. Inspect and test fire for function

Springfield likes:
• Lifetime warranty
• Full custom shop
• Hard to beat customer service
• Pinned front sights
• TGO gave me hat!

I have only handled the newer re tool Colts and not even fired my E series so I did not get into them. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. After de horning, undercutting the trigger guard, some checkering and trigger work; I really like my SA .40 and the EMP has been flawless for about 5-600 rounds. I just think we all need to step back once in a while and give things fair shake. That gun you saw shitting in the hands of the guy next to you on the range may not have been the guns fault. Despite how great he ran the Glock he pulled from his bag after his 1911 frustration got the best of him.

And I am especially cautious about advice from those that make and or sell parts and services who tell me I have to throw it all away except the slide and frame and start over. Hell, look back and see how the M&P was great as it was but now we have to replace this and that. The Glock was perfect but now we find the geometry is messed up and we need to replace this and that. I am sure it can all be made smoother better faster. And TGO last year’s Dave William’s built .40 singlestack was like art and smooth as two ice cubes rubbing together in a AZ summer. But I didn’t shoot it any better!

What we spend is relative to what we make. If you can afford a “X” then buy it. I could care less. But I have beaten a lot of “X” guns with an old Kimber production gun.

I reserve the right to add to this, correct my thoughts and experiences; grammar and spelling based on those who question my education or jog my memory through questions and/or “flaming” me. I assure you my corrections and additions will be based on my best recollection after getting old and being knocked out too many times and not on lies to attempt to defend my position! :D

Am I banned yet?:confused:

rathos
01-10-12, 03:20
Man.... I LOVE THIS POST!!

I feel the same way about the 1911. I am glad to see someone post something like this that has so much experience with the pistol and others.

Others may try to flame you, but you just became my hero on this site.

d90king
01-10-12, 05:29
Would it be possible for you to go back in your post and use the enter button to add some spacing into your post. Right now it's a wall of text and I'm having a hard time reading it.:blink:

mike240
01-10-12, 06:32
Would it be possible for you to go back in your post and use the enter button to add some spacing into your post. Right now it's a wall of text and I'm having a hard time reading it.:blink:

Yes, sorry. It lost the indents when pasted from a Word document. Funny they showed in the post construction or whatever box it is called. Thanks for pointing it out.

zb39
01-10-12, 12:02
Post looks better now and is easier to read.

Buckwhit
01-10-12, 13:28
Wow... that was worth reading. Thanks.

cttbax
01-10-12, 14:05
Well put and backed up with plenty of examples/experiences. I appreciate your candid post.

Bax

seanmac45
01-10-12, 17:27
You may be a lurker (like I am) but when you light the fires and get going you do just fine.

A well reasoned, thoroughly interesting treatise with real world experience to back it up.

How refreshing.

cdunn
01-10-12, 17:56
good stuff,refreshing to hear something good about a kimber, after all the bad,I had the bad.

SGB
01-10-12, 18:24
Good read

jstrange
01-10-12, 19:32
I enjoyed it as well. Thank you.

Strange

redefined
01-10-12, 20:32
Good read. I still don't like Kimbers though. Thanks for the post!

mike240
01-10-12, 20:40
Good read. I still don't like Kimbers though. Thanks for the post!

I wasn't trying to convince anyone to like Kimbers. Hope you get my points though. How many times have you read to accept all those shitty finished Colt ARs, with flash all over the place and purple uppers on black lowers with blems at $1400 a pop because it is a Colt?

Sorry, thoughts like that make me want to start putting new model engines and trannys in beat to shit 70s model Dodge trucks and selling them for 50K. All I need is a couple fanboys on the web!

If all Kimbers sucked like we are all led to think by those that throw out those blanket statements; then how could they still be in business when so many other firearms companies have folded in the last 20 years?

Hogsgunwild
01-10-12, 22:23
I have about a dozen 1911s, some high end and most have some degree of reputable gunsmith work performed on them. Most of the semi customs I have owned were problem children. All of my customized and non-customized Colts have been excellent but there was a learning curve and sometimes growing pains with some guns.
My Springfield Pro is wonderful and worth every penny (my only "semi-custom" worth the money and then some).

I have had a lot of excellent reliable 1911s. I have had crap from Wilson, Nighthawk, STI and Baer. Bear and STI did not need much help to get reliable.

All of the bad experiences and money dumped into 1911s and I must really love the gun as I always went back for more.
Part of why they worked for me was because I understood the platform and always expected to do some mods before having the gun ready for use to my satisfaction. I have paid a good chunk of my gunsmith's salary some years and think having a reputable gunsmith close by is one key to enjoying a reliable 1911 platform. You cannot be cheap or overly lazy if you want a good relationship with the 1911 platform.

I had two Kimbers back in the '90s. They were actually reliable and fueled my desire to get more into the 1911s. I had a Springfield and Colt before them but they were basic models and I could not hit much with them back then (in the late '80s. Not the guns' fault, I know).
I got tired of Kimber as they seemed crude compared to the Colts that I gravitated towards. Two top-end gunsmiths that I had dealt with could not say enough good thing about Colt's quality and what you got for your money so to this date it is Colt or the Springfield Custom shop due to my experiences with their quality.

I do not get too wrapped up in listening to the internet bashing. Although there is some factual basis for some of the frustration, one needs to understand that the platform deserves / requires more time, attention and money than something like a Glock. If you are new to guns, not mechanical, too cheap to work with a gunsmith, not inclined to take the time to learn the system and work on the up-keep yourself, or, without the budget or desire to spend several times the money on the purchase price of the 1911 over say a Glock, H&K, etc., then one really has no business with the 1911. There is definitely a pricey learning curve so, pay now (buy a high quality gun in the beginning; still scary since I had several problem semi-customs) or pay later.

Hogsgunwild
01-10-12, 22:28
I have about a dozen 1911s, some high end and most have some degree of reputable gunsmith work performed on them. Most of the semi customs I have owned were problem children. All of my customized and non-customized Colts have been excellent but there was a learning curve and sometimes growing pains with some guns.
My Springfield Pro is wonderful and worth every penny (my only "semi-custom" worth the money and then some).

I have had a lot of excellent reliable 1911s. I have had crap from Wilson, Nighthawk, STI and Baer. Bear and STI did not need much help to get reliable.

All of the bad experiences and money dumped into 1911s and I must really love the gun as I always went back for more.
Part of why they worked for me was because I understood the platform and always expected to do some mods before having the gun ready for use to my satisfaction. I have paid a good chunk of my gunsmith's salary some years and think having a reputable gunsmith close by is one key to enjoying a reliable 1911 platform. You cannot be cheap or overly lazy if you want a good relationship with the 1911 platform.

I had two Kimbers back in the '90s. They were actually reliable and fueled my desire to get more into the 1911s. I had a Springfield and Colt before them but they were basic models and I could not hit much with them back then (in the late '80s. Not the guns' fault, I know).
I got tired of Kimber as they seemed crude compared to the Colts that I gravitated towards. Two top-end gunsmiths that I had dealt with could not say enough good thing about Colt's quality and what you got for your money so to this date it is Colt or the Springfield Custom shop due to my experiences with their quality.

I do not get too wrapped up in listening to the internet bashing. Although there is some factual basis for some of the frustration, one needs to understand that the platform deserves / requires more time, attention and money than something like a Glock. If you are new to guns, not mechanical, too cheap to work with a gunsmith, not inclined to take the time to learn the system and work on the up-keep yourself, or, without the budget or desire to spend several times the money on the purchase price of the 1911 over say a Glock, H&K, etc., then one really has no business with the 1911. There is definitely a pricey learning curve so, pay now (buy a high quality gun in the beginning; still scary since I had several problem semi-customs) or pay later.

I will add that my best and relatively low priced but extremely reliable 1911s have been Colts with a reliability job and perhaps a couple or more of other mods.

Sorry, tapped the Quote button instead of the Edit button.

DMark
01-10-12, 23:42
mike240,

Outstanding post.

I also don't understand the Kimber hate you see from some folks around the internet. I'm an old-school Colt guy and have carried them into harm's way, but I recall the first Kimber I ever saw back in the 90s - - - and couldn't help but wonder why Colt couldn't make a 1911 like it.

My son is now a LEO and his department allows 1911s off duty. So what did he get from old Dad this Christmas....., a Kimber.

rdc0000
01-11-12, 01:01
We thank you for a most excellent informative, real world post.

az doug
01-11-12, 22:16
Mike, sorry, but I did not learn anything from your post!:D

That is because I have known Mike for about 26 years and we have discussed this in person many times. All I can do is attest that everything Mike wrote regarding his credentials is accurate and as usual he is being very humble and reserved when discussing them.

I have personally witnessed many of those rounds fired through his Kimber at the Friday and other shoots. My experience mirrors his.

I will ad that my son still has a Springfield Armory that I built when Springfield would sell you a stripped frame and that is how I bought it in the mid-80's. I have no idea how many rounds have been fired through that gun and would hate to guess. It only gets used in practice and matches and seldom cleaned. To date no internal parts, including springs have been replaced and it still functions fine. Grip panels have been changed and a Smith Alexander "mag well/funnel" added but that is it.

Good read, thanks.

d90king
01-12-12, 06:02
I notice you guys dont change your recoil springs. I dont think anyone will tell you a spent spring will cause the pistol to fail but it does beat the hell out of the pistol. It would be interesting to see the guts of the 1911's that have gone 50k with no spring change.

As someone who has run 1911's for 28 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds I would rather do the minimal preventative maint. to insure the long term reliability of the pistol.

I wont really comment on the Kimber stuff other than your results are unusual and because the sample size is so small I consider it as a fluke. I have personally witnessed multiple Kimbers shit the bed in hard use environments.

Glad your 1911's have served you well.

JHC
01-12-12, 09:45
Great report Mike240. Really good reading. I've owned about 10 1911's - all production guns and with the exception of a finicky Gold Cup in the mid-80's they all ran great and only suffered one broken slide stop/release. Note I never ran the volumes through them as I have in recent years through Glock 9mm's but I never lacked confidence in those mostly Colts, SA's and one Ithaca.

Except for a TRP, none of them were better than 4" guns however. Until my current only one which is a full custom Dave Sams build. It's insanely accurate and reliable so far but I'm barely into it.

I have marveled at the 1911 advice in recent years about being maintenance intensive and demanding as I never had any experience to match that - surely due to not feeding them as heavily as I do Glocks.

mike240
01-12-12, 10:06
I notice you guys dont change your recoil springs. I dont think anyone will tell you a spent spring will cause the pistol to fail but it does beat the hell out of the pistol. It would be interesting to see the guts of the 1911's that have gone 50k with no spring change.

As someone who has run 1911's for 28 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds I would rather do the minimal preventative maint. to insure the long term reliability of the pistol.

I wont really comment on the Kimber stuff other than your results are unusual and because the sample size is so small I consider it as a fluke. I have personally witnessed multiple Kimbers shit the bed in hard use environments.

Even many of the smiths disagree on the issue of contact point when the slide is fully to the rear where recoil ends and counter recoil begins. It makes sense to me that for the most consistency in function round after round I want the same stopping point for the slide and barrel at rear,each time. To think that the gun should be expected to be reliable but allow it arbitrarily pick its own location shot to shot seems silly. The back of the barrel lugs strike the abutment point of the frame at the front of the barrel bed where there is the most and thickest metal to support it. It is said and originally designed to have a circular end mill cut there to provide some stress relief for the lower legs of the barrel however I have seen some production guns without that cut, failing to leave what is commonly called the bowtie.

People talk of the front frame rails battering upon impacting the inner forward radius of the slides rails. With the barrel installed it makes no sense for this to occur. When the action is fully retracted. The rearward motion should be stopped by the lug on the abutment not the slide on the frame rails. By not getting this rear contact, the weapon is basically short stroking at some small but unknown point. For all those that argue to never use the slide release and always slingshot the gun during a empty gun reload you can see how their logic of fully retracting the slide to a timed and engineered stop location makes sense.

If the pistol does not consistently load by using the slide release but does when slingshot ting it, and sometimes an failure to return to battery when shooting occurs, the gun is probably being limp wristed, very dirty or dry or in need of a new or stronger recoil spring. But at this point we are at counter recoil and the only thing the recoil spring is doing is pushing slide forward, stripping a round from the mag and chambering it. If does not take much of a spring to do this when the weapon is properly supported. You can in fact get too carried away with mag springs at this point which cause too much pressure creating a failure to return to battery.

I mentioned how I thought the Glock was so forgiving and could create or allow poor technique shooters to be successful. The early Glock 40 used the same recoil spring assembly as the 9mm. The 40 is certainly a snappier round. In a 1911, the 9mm uses a 12 lb spring to the 40s 16 lb spring. The 1911 also requires the recoiling action to depress and cock a typically 23 and in some cases a 25 lb mainspring. See my point? You do not hear about battering or abuse to Glock concerns though they recalled and redesigned frame inserts for their 40s and 357s under to all the frames cracking.

I have never changed a spring on a Wilson 47 D mag and some are 25 years old. I also have run 14 pound recoil springs on occasions with major plus power factor loads without issue to battering. Battering to the frame or slide rails I do not think should be occurring as stated, why would I want the thinnest lightest portions of metal to take the force?

To not have that pre established and consistent stopping point for rearward motion to cease is almost like allowing the gun to function as a blow back which is very dependent on the spring and better technique/foundation.

I regards to changing springs, in the owners manuals, Colt and SA do not list a replacement schedule. SA has a lifetime warranty. Kimber, Ed Brown and Wilson do list replacement schedules. The later three also sell springs!

Hogsgunwild
01-12-12, 10:07
Recoil springs: When I shot these shorter guns a lot I'd change the Defender's spring at 800 rounds and the CCO / Commanders between 1000 and 2000 rounds, depending what loads I had been shooting.

Government Models: I would change 16 pound springs after many thousands of ball rounds, usually when I perceived that it was time.
18 pound springs were usually in guns that got a more steady diet of hotter defensive ammo and they would get changed before 2000 rounds.

I think I am more conservative than most regarding the frequency of spring changes but I would buy a dozen springs at a time and just toss a new one in if I had any doubts.

Magazine springs: Gov't 7 rounders and Officer's 6 rounders would generally not need to be changed. The Gov't 8 round and Officer's 7 round mags would get a spring change once a year if used for anything serious.

I think the spring change thing is common knowledge and probably goes without saying among most 1911 regulars.

rdc0000
01-12-12, 12:08
First of all we are talking 5" 1911A1 type pistols not others that deviate from the original design but, thanks for your input on the defender stuff.

On changing springs at XXXX number of rounds. Is that information based on empirical data, a report or through direct observation with your pistol. OR, is that from the net, a spring manufacturer or pistol manufacture that does not want unbroken pistols shipped to them for repair?

It's your pistol do what you want but, it wasn't common knowledge 20 years ago and my pistols worked just fine back then in the hard ball days of yore.

Redhat
01-12-12, 12:12
First of all we are talking 5" 1911A1 type pistols not others that deviate from the original design but, thanks for your input on the defender stuff.

On changing springs at XXXX number of rounds. Is that information based on empirical data, a report or through direct observation with your pistol. OR, is that from the net, a spring manufacturer or pistol manufacture that does not want unbroken pistols shipped to them for repair?

It's your pistol do what you want but, it wasn't common knowledge 20 years ago and my pistols worked just fine back then in the hard ball days of yore.

Don't you know there is no historical record past the mid eighties?

OP,

Great post...made me chuckle a bit.

az doug
01-12-12, 13:08

As someone who has "run" 1911's for 41 years, repaired/fitted/built them for 39, taught their use as a L/E firearms instructor for 25 years and carried one for 25 years (a conservative figure as not to embellish), I will tell you that the guns we write about are not battered or showing signs of excessive wear due to the springs not being changed. I realize I do not train as hard as many here. I only shoot 12 to 15 thousand rounds a year. (The real parts breakage I am experiencing is due to my old age and eyesight not being what it once was.)

I cannot disagree with you regarding minimal preventive maintenance being a good idea. I do disagree with people mandating or espousing that you must change recoil springs every 2,000 rounds, magazine followers every year (really, magazine followers???)... If you want and it gives you peace of mind to follow such an extreme maintenance schedule then please do so. You can also have your engine oil changed every 500 miles too, if that eases your mind. (Ok, the 500 miles is an exaggeration, but if you do change engine oil every 500 miles I did not mean to make fun of you. It is your choice to do so. You are the one that must feel confident in your equipment/tools.)

If you are referring to Mike's sample size of one Kimber being too small, that is the only one he can attest to the number of rounds fired through it. I also own a Kimber that I carried on duty, and practiced with, and it has not had any issues. (I now use one of my two Springfield TRPs, which by the standards of many here are substandard also, but have served me well, once I properly tensioned the extractors) Both Mike and I, collectively, have seen many Kimbers, possibly hundreds, in transition classes and basic academy classes that have gone 1000 to 2000 rounds during the classes. The number of issues they have had are on par with H&K, Glock, Sig Sauer, S&W M&P, "higher end" 1911s... The majority of issues we have had were shooter induced, or the projectile of the cartridge contacted the slide stop while feeding up the magazine tube (easily corrected), or magazine related. (Buy good magazines.) The shooter induced issues were proven by an instructor firing the same weapon without issue and later the owner, using proper technique, firing it without issue.

YMMV and obviously does. We are merely telling you what our experience is and has been. I have seen 1911's fail. They are usually brand new out of the box (regardless of make or model) and in need of a tweak or two in order to function properly with the approved duty ammo (most will function fine with ball ammo), or due to someone's shoddy craftsmanship.

My duty guns do not get abused like my training/competition guns and I am not advocating anyone treat their self defense guns in the manner Mike and I have described. I cannot speak for Mike, but my point is to give an apposing view point to many of what I believe are myths that prevail on the internet.

Hogsgunwild
01-12-12, 14:18

First of all, I was replying to D90king's question, not you rdc0000.

The original Op has gone as far as discussing Glocks and M4s so I consider my information relevant in my reply showing that I have a routine down. Spend some time googling the subject of spring changes and you will learn that my numbers reflect (as I stated) a conservative schedule of what the manufacturers typically state in their Owners Manuals. My info is from my experiences, reputable gunsmiths' advice, manufacturers' manuals and the internet. It is what has worked for me to eliminate any chance of a malfunction due to a recoil spring being old. I won't allow a malfunction because I was too cheap to replace a seven to ten dollar spring.

I will add that I have no problem running my range guns that shoot ball ammo with 16 pound springs for thousands of rounds, perhaps twice as long between spring changes as my carry guns.

mike240
01-12-12, 16:53
Don't you know there is no historical record past the mid eighties?

OP,

Great post...made me chuckle a bit.

Ha! No slam to rdc (this may not pertain) but on some subject, like the Kimber bashing and MIM, people who were in short pants with squirt guns even in 96 are full of hate and do not know why. They did not know Chip McCormick was involved in Kimber. Or that Kimber made Wilson slides and frames on the 1996a2 which was the foundation for all heir production gun. Till the ad wars started.

But these are the ones that fill the Internet with "information".

Sorry Doug you may have signed on to a sinking ship with me on this thread!

rdc0000
01-12-12, 19:29
First of all, I was replying to D90king's question, not you rdc0000.

The original Op has gone as far as discussing Glocks and M4s so I consider my information relevant in my reply showing that I have a routine down. Spend some time googling the subject of spring changes and you will learn that my numbers reflect (as I stated) a conservative schedule of what the manufacturers typically state in their Owners Manuals. My info is from my experiences, reputable gunsmiths' advice, manufacturers' manuals and the internet. It is what has worked for me to eliminate any chance of a malfunction due to a recoil spring being old. I won't allow a malfunction because I was too cheap to replace a seven to ten dollar spring.

I will add that I have no problem running my range guns that shoot ball ammo with 16 pound springs for thousands of rounds, perhaps twice as long between spring changes as my carry guns.

All I want is scientific proof. The OP offers us that with his long experiences. So, what your saying is you were told to do it, so it's got to be right. LOL.

mike240
01-12-12, 20:02
Before this spring talk goes south that is the kind of thing that prompted this thread. I just relate experiences not presenting them as scientific fact. There are just too many variables in all of this gun stuff. That is why I brought up the Ransom....

The same can be done to determine the spring life. Kind of....

You could mount the pistol in the rest with fresh spring and shoot it till it fails to return to battery. This would tell us the life span of a particular spring in that gun. But only if you shot all the same ammo that chronoed closely. The Ransom would eliminate the human movement that takes energy from the slide's movement.

But like the 2000 round challenge that seemed so stupidly popular for awhile (flame storm coming) this too still has variables. Is it as much a test of the grease or lube used too? What is the environment? Hot or cold,wet or dry, clean or dusty? What was the rate of fire? Too fast will result in more heat and cooking out the lube and or expanding metal creating drag. Is the 2000 or more rounds going to fired none stop in one session? In the "challenge" many fired a couple hundred let the gun sit a safe for weeksa before doing again. Did th lube dissipate out? Was it stored or carried muzzle down?

I work in AZ. Should I say more about carrying a pistol muzzle down 50 hours per week? Or a rifle in a vertical rack when the interior of cars get 140F?

This was all about getting people to think for themselves and self diagnose. There is no perfect answer.

For someone here to say "X" is junk or "so you shot it a thousand times and it worked. Run it in a class a thousand rounds and report back!"

How stupid. The gun does not know where it is when it fires. It does not have stress anxiety. It couldn't care less if it is punching paper or killing someone. It is indifferent.

If it works during your informal practice but not at a high demand school under the same conditions same ammo etc. the variable is YOU and what you are doing different to create the problems.

Just my observations of training hundreds (or more).

Striker
01-13-12, 00:08
This was all about getting people to think for themselves and self diagnose. There is no perfect answer.

or someone here to say "X" is junk or "so you shot it a thousand times and it worked. Run it in a class a thousand rounds and report back!"

I understand. There are always the variables unless you control everything like a science experiment in which you control everything including the variables. The problem is that most of us don't have the money to run out and buy brand X or whatever and try it in a class. If we want a 1911, we chance it and it works, great. But if we want a 1911, chance it and it doesn't work; I won't speak for anyone else here, but I can't afford to keep throwing $1300.00 plus at pistols in the hope that they'll work. Now I understand that every company has problems, but it seems like Colt and Springfield seem to have a more favorable reputation than some of the others. With a limited amount of money, it makes more sense to bet on something that, at least seemingly, has higher odds of working.

How stupid. The gun does not know where it is when it fires. It does not have stress anxiety. It couldn't care less if it is punching paper or killing someone. It is indifferent.

If it works during your informal practice but not at a high demand school under the same conditions same ammo etc. the variable is YOU and what you are doing different to create the problems.

Just my observations of training hundreds (or more).

Understood, given that the owner ran it as hard doing informal practice as they did in a high demand class. Honestly though, while this board seems to have a lot of volume shooters on it; truth be told, most shooters probably shoot considerably less and if said shooter then takes his gun to a high volume, demanding class; his gun is going to start showing problems it would have shown in informal practice, but was never run enough to do so. See, as you said, too many variables to control.

Just my .02 on this. Nice opening post though. It gives a different perspective on Kimber. I once read a similar post from, I believe it was a Dallas SWAT guy on the XD or XDM. Like this one, thought it was interesting as well.

Tango Charlie145
01-13-12, 00:16
Mike240 - Excellant post, very informative.
I, too, have a Kimber - TLE/RL with the external extractor. With over 6000 rounds through it (I realize HERE, that is not a lot) I have not had any problems with it.
However, as many others have said here before, if I had to have 1 handgun, it would be my Glock 19.
Again, excellant post.
TC

DeltaKilo
01-13-12, 13:08
Great post. One thing as a point of clarification only:

Even the Kunhausen manuals list a 5k round replacement schedule for the recoil spring.

Also, with the springfield:

All guns with serial numbers prefixed "N" (as in NXXXXXX) are guns completely built in brazil.

All guns with serial numbers prefixed "NM" (as in NMXXXXX), with the exception of the Professional and other custom shop guns, are brought into the US as rough forgings, and are finish machined, fitted, built, and finished by the Custom Shop here in the US.

To my knowledge all of their MC Operators, some of the Loaded, all of the Range Officer, and all of the TRP and up are NM guns and are thus as close to made entirely in the US as you can probably get without SA buying the raw forgings here in the US.

mike240
01-13-12, 13:41
I understand. There are always the variables unless you control everything like a science experiment in which you control everything including the variables. The problem is that most of us don't have the money to run out and buy brand X or whatever and try it in a class. If we want a 1911, we chance it and it works, great. But if we want a 1911, chance it and it doesn't work; I won't speak for anyone else here, but I can't afford to keep throwing $1300.00 plus at pistols in the hope that they'll work. Now I understand that every company has problems, but it seems like Colt and Springfield seem to have a more favorable reputation than some of the others. With a limited amount of money, it makes more sense to bet on something that, at least seemingly, has higher odds of working.

Understood, given that the owner ran it as hard doing informal practice as they did in a high demand class. Honestly though, while this board seems to have a lot of volume shooters on it; truth be told, most shooters probably shoot considerably less and if said shooter then takes his gun to a high volume, demanding class; his gun is going to start showing problems it would have shown in informal practice, but was never run enough to do so. See, as you said, too many variables to control.

Just my .02 on this. Nice opening post though. It gives a different perspective on Kimber. I once read a similar post from, I believe it was a Dallas SWAT guy on the XD or XDM. Like this one, thought it was interesting as well.

I get it. It was not a Kimber sales pitch. If it sounded like one that was really not the intent. It was a thread about being objective. It was just easy to choose Kimber because of all the bashing over the years though the company remains profitable. It's truth versus fiction. Remember the Yugo? If the product is crap the company folds.

About running the gun "hard". To me running it hard is about neglect. That is hard on the gun. If you need it to go 2k rds without lube or cleaning ok. To me it's unrealistic. Even at a high round school, at lunch I can add oil. This is what is preached by all the AR experts here. "Keep'em wet!" they say. But it's not acceptable in a handgun to lube it every 500 or so?

To some running it hard is the challenge put on them the shooter. My point was that the gun does not know it is being challenged. It's a machine. Press trigger go bang. Minus extreme abuse or neglect or disrepair, the gun is not challenged it functions if the shooter does his part and does not induce a problem.

mike240
01-13-12, 14:01
About the SAs I know but thanks. Robbie has told me more than I probably need to know!

I have not read Ks book for years but still have it and review. I did just pull my oldest Colt down and compared the abutment point to the Kimber mentioned in this thead. The Kimber TM has had many more rounds through it. I tried but my camera is not good enough to post but the bowtie of the Colt versus the Kimber is night and day. The Colt has still enough relief for the barrel lug legs or feet on the Colt but it is preened and hammered badly compared to the Kimber which truely looks like it just left the mill. Ks statement maybe based on the Colts of his day. The book is very old. And the metals are probably better now. I do not dispute any replacement interval. Hell if I could afford it I would but a new gun every 2-5k rds so I didn't have to clean either!

Some say the spring is not needed for recoil at all, only counter recoil or reloading. Some insist the recoil spring is just that, to tame recoil and slow the slide. I used to believe the first but after years and seeing no real concern able damage to rarely changing the spring, believe the second.

I can say there are 1911s that have smoother actions than others. Those true customs with that ball bearing feel as everyone says. The rough ones need spring changes more often but not to save the frame etc but because during counter recoil a heavier spring slams the slide and overcomes bad angles, rough feed ramps and those clunky disconnectors that cause that stubbing feel.

A16 lb spring will last a very long time in a smooth functioning 1911 because it only needed a 12 in the first place to overcome the mag spring. Hell 9mm 1911s run down to 9 lb springs. Is the weight difference between the 9mm and 45 cartridge that different that it needs and 16-18 lb spring changed every 2000 rounds?

Smoother the guns action less resistance. Some jus like the snappiness of a heavy spring because it seems to drive the front end of the gun down harder faster. Does little for recoil but a lot for counter recoil and overcoming a dirty dirty gun to ensure feeding if you can support it during recoil to get the slide fully retracted.

Hogsgunwild
01-13-12, 15:57
All I want is scientific proof. The OP offers us that with his long experiences. So, what your saying is you were told to do it, so it's got to be right. LOL.

So, you are telling us that the Op told you this, so, it is scientific fact.
That is brilliant. A bit hypocritical but brilliant. :jester:

I take advice when I respect the source. I respect the Ops advice. After owning 1911s since 1988, I have noticed when differently configured 1911s starts to begin to not return to battery. My Government Models that have 18 pound springs and shoot a larger percentage of hotter defensive types of loads tend to fail to return to battery by roughly 2000 rounds. My Delta Gold Cup needs the recoil spring changed around 1000 rounds.

Sure, a Govenment Model with a 16 pound spring shooting light target loads can probably go forever without a spring change.

A lot of times I would totally lose track of what round count was on a particular gun. On a Commander, I could cycle the slide to feel the tension and then compare the length of of the recoil spring with a new one to see where I was at. I cannot do that with a government Model with a 16 pound spring. Seems like some people go by spring length, wasn't there a 3/4 inch rule of thumb? I don't remember.

If it's a range gun I just shoot it until it starts to fail. If it is a carry gun I replace the springs well before I estimate it will fail. Simple. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to do this.

rdc0000: After 20 years of 1911 experience with 1911s as you stated, I am really surprised that this most basic fundamental maintenance task of recoil spring changes is such a mystery to you.

az doug
01-13-12, 23:05
..Sure, a Govenment Model with a 16 pound spring shooting light target loads can probably go forever without a spring change...

Put my ammo in whatever category you choose. I shot a lot of WWB 230 ball for many years. In the last three years I have been experimenting with loads, mainly due to a lack of components and the necessity to reload with whatever powder and primers I could get my hands on. That has since changed and components are flowing freely again. For the past three years I have been shooting 230 gr Montana Gold or Zero bullets and those reloads have been 770 fps on the low end to 830 fps. (yes, I chronographed them)

Years ago, 2+ decades, I shot 200 gr SWC HG68 lead bullets on top of 5.5 to 5.7 gr of WW-231. (didn't everyone)

I do not believe those loads are lite target loads, but neither are they as hot as the 230 gr Gold Dot duty round.