PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical 2-Day Level-1 Handgun Class - July 23-24, 2012 - Wallingford, CT

VA_Dinger
01-10-12, 09:19
Vickers Tactical 2-Day Level-1 Handgun Class - July 23-24, 2012 - Wallingford, CT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/vickers-tactical-logo.jpg

www.vickerstactical.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/lav-hk45.jpg

Larry Vickers is a decorated US Army Special Forces veteran and national pistol champion. Mr. Vickers has nearly two decades of special operations experience (1 SFOD-Delta), much of which was spent as his unit’s Primary Firearms Instructor. In addition to his special operations accomplishments, his competitive shooting has yielded a 10th and 9th place finish in the 1993 and 1994 USPSA Limited Nationals as well as a 1st place finish in CDP class at the 2001 IDPA Mid-Winter Nationals at Smith & Wesson. Mr. Vickers is a founding member of IDPA. In addition to being a highly experienced operator and national pistol champion, Mr. Vickers is also one of the premier 1911 pistolsmiths in the country and his work has been featured in several firearms publications and on the cover of American Handgunner. In addition to all this, Mr. Vickers has served as a consultant and technical expert to the firearms industry. Mr. Vickers is featured on two new firearms, tactics, and accessories focused T.V. shows called Tactical Impact and Tactical Arms.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/logo.jpg

Grey Group Training:
www.greygrouptraining.com

Vickers Tactical 2-Day Level-1 Handgun Class - July 23-24, 2012 - Wallingford, CT

This class is an entry level course for handgun shooters and is designed specifically for those who have not had any formal instruction or those who wish a refresher class. Topics covered include the following: safety, stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their service pistol includes field stripping and maintenance. In addition to this, other topics that are covered include reloads, draw, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bullseye shooting.

Instructor: Larry Vickers

Class dates: July 23-24, 2012

Cost: $525

Weapon & Gear Class Requirements:

- Eye and Ear Protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)
- Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Serviceable holster (Blackhawk Serpa Holsters Not allowed)
- Minimum one double magazine pouch / Ability to carry minimum of two magazines
- Minimum of three serviceable magazines (5 is better)
- 1000 rounds of ammunition
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Good attitude

If you are interested in attending this class please use this link to the Grey Group Training sign-up page:
http://store.greygrouptraining.com/2-DAY-LEVEL-1-PISTOL-37777.html

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me;
training@greygrouptraining.com

30 cal slut
01-10-12, 15:33
Legal stuff if you're a non-resident, want to attend and are not covered under LEOSA 2004:

A valid CT pistol permit is required to possess and transport a handgun outside of one's home.

The pistol permit is also CT's "CCW."

Non-residents can obtain a non-resident pistol permit, good for five years, $70 fee. About two months processing time. CT is considered practically shall-issue.

Non-residents can call the CT State Police at 860-685-8494 to obtain an application.

There are no restrictions on magazine capacity.

The law specifically exempts folks participating in formal pistol and revolver training from the pistol permit requirement. Don't assume CT LEO's will automatically know this.

Another option if you want to attend is to borrow a pistol from a person attending the class who does have a valid permit.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-35.htm

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28.

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by

any parole officer or peace officer of this state,

or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties,

or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent,

or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly,

or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business,

or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another,

or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired,

or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions,

taking part in formal pistol or revolver training,

repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides,

or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33.

For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

acaixguard
01-11-12, 11:09
Question about the legal aspects.

I'm a NJ resident, so obviously, I have no CCW in my home state (only can get non-resident permits from other states). Does that mean that I am not allowed to bring a pistol into CT for a training class? I do have a NJ FID card, if that matters at all.

30 cal slut
01-11-12, 12:05
Question about the legal aspects.

I'm a NJ resident, so obviously, I have no CCW in my home state (only can get non-resident permits from other states). Does that mean that I am not allowed to bring a pistol into CT for a training class? I do have a NJ FID card, if that matters at all.

I think you need to 1) get a non-resident pistol permit or 2) arrange to borrow a gun.

acaixguard
01-11-12, 12:09
Hmm, I just checked with 2 people who run classes in CT, and they both said that while you can't carry a pistol on your person without a CT permit, you are allowed to transport it in the trunk of your vehicle as long as the gun is unloaded, locked, and separate from the ammo. And store in your hotel room too. As long as you are legal to possess the gun in your home state as well.

I'll check with the state itself to clarify, but the above is what was told to me (and also what I've read elsewhere online).

30 cal slut
01-11-12, 12:23
Hmm, I just checked with 2 people who run classes in CT, and they both said that while you can't carry a pistol on your person without a CT permit, you are allowed to transport it in the trunk of your vehicle as long as the gun is unloaded, locked, and separate from the ammo. And store in your hotel room too. As long as you are legal to possess the gun in your home state as well.

I'll check with the state itself to clarify, but the above is what was told to me (and also what I've read elsewhere online).

Ok, but double check to be sure.

acaixguard
01-11-12, 13:03
Just got off the phone with Connecticut State Police. I called the number that was listed above (for applying for a non-resident permit). The lady wasn't too sure, so she referred me to Detective Muzio (sp?) at 203-630-5600. I asked him, and he told me that as long you are there specifically for a firearms training class, and that the gun is transported unloaded, and locked in the trunk, and that it is only transported between the hotel and the class, then I'm good to go. He said if keeping the gun in the hotel room while I'm doing something else, such as going out to a restaurant, try to keep it in a lockbox if possible. Obviously though, I can't have it on my person or drive around with if not traveling directly between my hotel room and the class.
He told me the provision in the law listed above specifically deals with cases like this. I asked, just to be safe, what paperwork I should have on me in case I get pulled over, and he said my home state's firearms ID card and some printed info about the class if possible.

30 cal slut
01-11-12, 13:26
Just got off the phone with Connecticut State Police. I called the number that was listed above (for applying for a non-resident permit). The lady wasn't too sure, so she referred me to Detective Muzio (sp?) at 203-630-5600. I asked him, and he told me that as long you are there specifically for a firearms training class, and that the gun is transported unloaded, and locked in the trunk, and that it is only transported between the hotel and the class, then I'm good to go. He said if keeping the gun in the hotel room while I'm doing something else, such as going out to a restaurant, try to keep it in a lockbox if possible. Obviously though, I can't have it on my person or drive around with if not traveling directly between my hotel room and the class.
He told me the provision in the law listed above specifically deals with cases like this. I asked, just to be safe, what paperwork I should have on me in case I get pulled over, and he said my home state's firearms ID card and some printed info about the class if possible.

That's great news!

acaixguard
01-11-12, 20:08
This does leave another minor question I have though. Since someone without a CT permit is not allowed to drive around with a firearm in their possession unless it's between the hotel and class, what to do during lunch breaks?

30 cal slut
01-11-12, 21:14
This does leave another minor question I have though. Since someone without a CT permit is not allowed to drive around with a firearm in their possession unless it's between the hotel and class, what to do during lunch breaks?

i guess you could bring lunch or, lock your pistol up in your trunk and hitch a ride with somebody else to lunch.

snake eater 332
01-14-12, 08:14
VA Dinger, the Grey Group website store is showing the dates for this class as 7/30-7/31/12 and NOT 7/23-7/24/12 and indicated above. What are the correct dates?

kgsplace
01-14-12, 10:44
They actually have a place there that serves lunch (burgers, fries, etc.)

snake eater 332
01-14-12, 16:17
They actually have a place there that serves lunch (burgers, fries, etc.)

The last few times I was up at Blue Trails Range (end of Summer to mid-Fall), I don't recall that food stand being open. There's also really not much in that immediate area as far as food goes. You pretty much have to head back towards I-91 and down Research Dr to East Main St in Meriden for food, about a 15 minute drive each way if you don't hit lunchtime traffic.

30 cal slut
01-14-12, 19:21
VA Dinger, the Grey Group website store is showing the dates for this class as 7/30-7/31/12 and NOT 7/23-7/24/12 and indicated above. What are the correct dates?

Andy, it is 7/23-24. Apologies for the confusion, this was my mistake, not GGT's.

-b

Noodles McGee
01-18-12, 07:43
I have a spare glock 19 and will be at the class if anybody from out of state wants to use it.

It does have factory sights and trigger and a factory extended slide release.

I have xtra mags a leather desantis belt slide and a double mag carrier.

Bring your own ammo.

I only have one xtra pistol setup.

Email me if you need it.
Paulyseggs1@yahoo.com

eternal24k
03-20-12, 12:39
for those out of staters, I am considering the class, anybody gone through the out of state CCW process? Hassle free? I am from VT with no CCW permitting, so I am trying to figure out if it will be worth it.
thanks,
Max

ETA, after reviewing the application paperwork, it appears I may not be able to get the out of state permit, I have adequate proof of training, BUT vermont has no ccw permits which is listed as a requirement, is this correct?

eternal24k
03-20-12, 13:56
for those interested, I just got off the phone. To get a permit in CT as an out of state resident you must have a current pistol permit elsewhere. So for a Vermont resident I must get an out of state permit in any other state before being eligible for a CT out of state permit.

Hdog83
03-21-12, 13:48
If you're in VT or NJ, or if you have a "neutered" CCW license from MA or NY (or no home state CCW capability), you can use the FL concealed weapons or firearms license (for example) to get the CT pistol permit (as a non-resident of both states).

The FL CWP can be obtained by anyone who can meet the eligibility requirements, regardless of home state CCW licensing or lack of licensing, and you don't need to travel to FL to obtain it. Here is the website: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html. The class is in July, so if you step on it, you might be able to apply for and receive the FL CWP in time to apply for and receive the CT pistol permit.

30 cal slut
05-01-12, 07:43
Wow.

Full. :blink:

VA_Dinger
05-26-12, 14:52
Wow.

Full. :blink:

Yep, but we are still taking contact info for a stand-by list for those interested.

acaixguard
06-28-12, 15:32
So who's signed up and ready for this class? I'm all set :)

naloxone
07-10-12, 21:49
I'll be there :cool:

Archie Moore's is about 10min away on N Main St, good burgers, great wings

WPD isn't going to hassle anyone about going to lunch during the course of your training day. Don't carry without a permit and use common sense in the securing and transportation of your blaster, and you'll be fine.

VLODPG
07-11-12, 05:05
See ya all there!

30 cal slut
07-17-12, 15:54
Heads-up to all participating.

There may be a camera crew from the Military Channel filming portions of the class on TD2. If you do not want to be on television, please let LAV know so we can get the camera crew to work around you.

If you're okay with being on TV - consent forms will need to be signed.

snake eater 332
07-17-12, 16:59
So, nothing but a jockstrap, a chest rig, and combat boots?!? ;)

naloxone
07-17-12, 17:05
And Oakley's, don't forget the Oakley's.

30 cal slut
07-17-12, 18:56
So, nothing but a jockstrap, a chest rig, and combat boots?!? ;)

suggest a multicam tutu to cover up the jock strap. family-friendly ;)

acaixguard
07-17-12, 19:04
What show on the Military Channel are they filming for, just out of curiosity?

Noodles McGee
07-17-12, 19:49
Can't wait

davecmoc
07-18-12, 09:14
See you guys next week!

naloxone
07-18-12, 16:05
I assume we're all sorted by now but if anyone out of state would prefer borrow a gun, I can bring a G23 with big dots. BYOA

email me <my M4C.net user name>@gmail.com

indawire
07-23-12, 17:20
If you can, pack your own food. The available food at the Blue Trail site is limited and typical of any burger stand, not something that keeps you sharp ie: grease and carbs. Food is available nearby (sort of nearby) but folks have spent the entire time driving out, waiting to be cooked and getting back. Then jam it down as the instructor is getting ready. I'd rather be reloading mags and burping. Bring energy bars or snacks to munch w/ the hydro source you bring. A cooler w/ ice will keep food till lunch w/ no problems. Just my own experience there. YMMV.

Noodles McGee
07-24-12, 17:00
Just wanted too say thank you to LAV and all the others for making the last days Fing Awesome!

Also. Great shooting with everyone truely enjoyed every minute of it

Looking forward to taking more in the future

Thanks again
Not Polish Pauly

acaixguard
07-24-12, 18:17
Great class! Thanks again to LAV for an outstanding learning opportunity, and to 30CalSlut for being a great host!
Anyone doing an AAR?

Noodles McGee
07-24-12, 18:47
Anyone doing an AAR?
I write like a 4th grader

snake eater 332
07-26-12, 11:22
Excellent class! Thanks to LAV for coming up to CT.