PDA

View Full Version : HK45 Questions

ejewels
01-10-12, 10:45
OK, so a friend of mine is looking to buy an HK45 that might see some duty use as well. What do most of you guys get variant-wise? Is V1 the standard most get? I can't seem to find the LEM versions anywhere. If the V1 is most popular, can it be converted to LEM in the future? Thanks in advance...

Noodle
01-10-12, 10:51
I have the HK45 in Variant 1. I am very happy with the pistol.
My understanding is that you can convert to LEM is so desired.

ejewels
01-10-12, 12:08
How's the reset on the 45 or 45c? Is it short enough?

zibby43
01-10-12, 13:16
Buy V1 variant.

Next, buy this:http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/LEM-Conversion-Kit-Complete-HK45-German-212p1129.htm

Enjoy.

zibby43
01-10-12, 13:17
How's the reset on the 45 or 45c? Is it short enough?

With the V1?

ejewels
01-10-12, 13:43
with any of the variants. I was doing some research and people were saying that the reset is long and it isn't the best for rapid fire? internet hogwash? I'm thinking it can be shot pretty damn fast?

loupav
01-10-12, 14:22
I shoot my HK45's and my USP's, V3 which is decock only NO safety, for right hand shooter. I made this change because I found that I would sometimes activate the safety while practicing malfunction drills. As soon as I rack the slide, I'd accidentally trip the safety on and not realize it until I pressed the trigger.

I bought the V3 plates from HKparts.net (Top Gun Supply has then cheaper) and they were very easy to install. Just take the slide off, drift a pin, switch the plates and drift the pin back.

Hunter Rose
01-10-12, 14:29
with any of the variants. I was doing some research and people were saying that the reset is long and it isn't the best for rapid fire? internet hogwash? I'm thinking it can be shot pretty damn fast?

Not necessarily hogwash, but reset is definitely internet overhype. The HK45s reset is longer than a Glocks and pretty much the same as a USP (I figure the USP is more plentiful so you'd have any easier time trying one out locally). It's hardly horrible and in no way will prevent you from learning to proficiently "rapid fire" it. Training is the issue.

As for HK45 LEMs unless something has changed recently they are only available as Variant 1's and have to be retrofitted to LEM.

Hunter Rose
01-10-12, 14:31
I shoot my HK45's and my USP's, V3 which is decock only NO safety, for right hand shooter. I made this change because I found that I would sometimes activate the safety while practicing malfunction drills. As soon as I rack the slide, I'd accidentally trip the safety on and not realize it until I pressed the trigger.

I bought the V3 plates from HKparts.net (Top Gun Supply has then cheaper) and they were very easy to install. Just take the slide off, drift a pin, switch the plates and drift the pin back.

Additionally, if you like 1911s you can set the HK45 up as a Variant 9 where the control lever acts only as a safety giving you a SA trigger pull all the time while retaining double strike DA trigger pull capability if a round should fail to go off.

loupav
01-10-12, 14:38
Excellent point Hunter Rose. I forgot to mention that you could also do such a thing. I'm just one of those odd ducks that like DA/SA triggers.

ejewels
01-10-12, 14:43
So in other words, speed shooting isn't an issue? As fast as you can pull the trigger? I might wanna use for IDPA eventually...

Hunter Rose
01-10-12, 15:02
So in other words, speed shooting isn't an issue? As fast as you can pull the trigger? I might wanna use for IDPA eventually...

Unless your name is Rob Leathem, Todd Jarrett, etc. it won't matter. Training and practice (and lots of it) will determine how fast you'll be able to shoot.

A few months ago didn't Todd Jarrett win the IDPA nationals with a DA/SA Sig?

ejewels
01-10-12, 15:23
Thats good to hear. So it can rapid fire fast but quite not as fast as a glock? Could it be modified to do so if you really wanted? Also, is a longer reset a characteristic of hammer fired designs? Oh, and if I do get that LEM conversion, can I take the safety / decocker off?

swamper
01-10-12, 15:28
This post shows the differing positions of the LEM trigger for a USP Compact 45. It will be similar for the HK45 with LEM. The difference between the reset and additional prepping (taking up of slack) can be seen in the photo sequence.

I believe the HK P30 LEM has a bit of a longer reset than the USP or the HK45.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?29000-Deep-Thoughts-by-pangris-The-ideal-handgun-trigger&p=405527&viewfull=1#post405527

montrala
01-10-12, 16:57
HK P series (P2000/SK/P30/P30L) have slightly longer reset than USP/USPc/HK45/HK45C series. Longest reset is in P30S/P30LS.

Reset distance on HK pistols came from different factors:

1. It is SA/DA, not SAO (like in 1911), so some more travel is required here and there (when overtavel is reduced do zero, then sometimes hammer does not fall down on DA).
2. Is has trigger operated firing pin safety, that require some trigger travel to disengage.
3. It is combat trigger in service pistol, so HK put some safe tolerances there to allow for reliable operation.

This can of course be corrected but close fitting and modifying parts to gain in all 3 departments in different ways (my in USP Expert reduced reset to equal with highly tuned STI 2011 custom pistol, but required modification to SAO and removal of firing pin safety). Great job here, that retain all functionality and provide significantly shorter reset can be do by Bruce Gray (Grayguns).

BTW Just after I switched from STI to P30L with unmodified LEM trigger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tDXNwRUwC2I#t=92s Is it fast enough?

newyork
01-10-12, 18:50
Bought mine as a V1, switched to light LEM. Will only buy LEM HKs from now on. Love it. Great gun.

Alaskapopo
01-11-12, 01:55
double post

Alaskapopo
01-11-12, 01:56
Do they make a variant of the HK 45 that can be cocked and locked with out the safety acting as a decocking lever. Personally I hate the LEM its an abortion from what I like in a trigger.
Pat

GJM
01-11-12, 08:24
Variant 9

Hdog83
01-11-12, 20:47
I just converted my HK45 to light LEM 2 weeks ago using the HKParts.net kit - very happy with functionality and ergonomics after the first range session (and proud not to have fubar'ed such a nice pistol). I can finally use my "standard" grip (read: Glock - no external controls near the overlapped right hand thumb) with impunity. It's definitely a different trigger pull and reset from a Glock, but HK45 vs Gxx is really just an overall different experience IMHO (higher bore axis, different style/shape grip, mag release, etc.).

For what it's worth, if I ever wanted an external manual safety on a handgun, I'd go to a V9 (manual safety but no decocker), rather than back to the V1. I have confirmed (on the square range) that I don't have the skill / dexterity / experience to run the V1 effectively under stress or even just time pressure. If my life ever had to depend on it, I'm not sure that I wouldn't accidentally decock or fail to disengage the safety. I have very little 1911 time under my belt, but I'd be willing to bet that those who have more extensive 1911 experience would find the V9 the preferred setup for the HK45 / HK45c.

/YMMV

Hunter Rose
01-11-12, 21:00
Do they make a variant of the HK 45 that can be cocked and locked with out the safety acting as a decocking lever. Personally I hate the LEM its an abortion from what I like in a trigger.
Pat

Variant 9 as stated.

If you need the detent plate I've got an extra brand new one I am selling.