PDA

View Full Version : Who can competently install night sights w/ decent turnaround time on an HK P30?

Hunter Rose
01-10-12, 15:09
I want to install some Heinie night sights on my HK P30. Anyone have suggestions for a competent gunsmith with a decent turnaround time? I'd like to just send off the slide.

(Note: I am mechanically disadvantaged and don't want to crush my slide in a vice or crack the tritium vials with a punch.)

doddste4
01-10-12, 19:30
Call GrayGuns. They installed my Heinies on my P30. They test fire it on a host weapon so that you only need to send the slide in. Turn around was only a few days.

YVK
01-10-12, 19:47
I just had Heinie do it for me. Can't really comment on turnaround - it was two weeks for me but I had requested a delayed shipment back. They quoted 3 days when I had asked about it.

ThirdWatcher
01-11-12, 14:52
I've heard good things about Tooltech Gunsight.

newyork
01-11-12, 15:06
HK might. Call them

F-Trooper05
01-11-12, 15:15
Just send it to Heinie.

Hunter Rose
01-11-12, 21:05
Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna have either Virginia Arms or Gray Guns do it, just need to figure out which will be cheaper.

As for Heinie, on principle I can't pay $77 dollars for installation of dovetail sights. Seems like getting bent over with no lube.

YVK
01-11-12, 21:39
While it does look steep on an initial glance - I had the same reaction as you - it actually is fairly consistent with other places. 77 includes 2 day UPS shipping with insurance. Dawson Precision charges 24 bucks per sight, shipping excluded - not far out from Heinie.
The biggest advantage to me is that you deal directly with Heinie if there is something wrong with the sight or installation, rather than going through a middleman.

decodeddiesel
01-11-12, 21:47
Just send it to Heinie.

I agree, this is probably the best option.

voiceofreason
01-12-12, 05:50
SEND IT TO HEINIE!!!
(I rarely use all caps BTW)

The cost is not that much more.

I had my wife's M&P sights installed by a local gunsmith (Heinie Straight 8s, Ledge, and added $25 for the QWIK, as they milled them wider for me).

15 rounds into the first outing, the rear sight was sliding back and forth.

Had to bring the gun back and she lost a day of shooting her new gun. It seems okay now, but I REALLY wish I'd sent it to Heinie like I did for my Glock.

Sight installation is easy, but it's important to have it done right.

Sarah from Heinie told me that the old man does it himself.

Vlobb
01-12-12, 12:49
As for Heinie, on principle I can't pay $77 dollars for installation of dovetail sights. Seems like getting bent over with no lube.

I thought the same thing once, so... I had "what I thought" was a competent gunsmith install a set of Heinies on a USP Compact and he completely destroyed the rear sight. He actually cracked the Tritium vial in the rear and the left side of the sight was covered in punch marks that he tried to hide with some type of paint on black finish. I called Heinie becasue at first I thought the rear sight vial was defective, it just wasn't glowing. At that point, I couldn't have imagined it got cracked from being installed wrong. Once they got it they were able to tell me what really happen and how and that's when I found out my GS actually ****ed it all up. When they told me that I was extremely nervous becasue I'm totally expecting to have to buy another rear sight and pay to have them install it properly and thats NOT CHEAP! It's not their problem and they didn't damage it but they replaced the broken/damaged rear sight and installed a new one completely FREE OF CHARGE. I never expected Heine to eat the cost of someone else's mistake but they really took good care of me and handled everything great. From then on I've been paying Heinie to do it right the first time with no problems, it's worth the cost for peace of mind to me. Besides...they have definitely earned my bussiness for life.

E-man930
01-12-12, 18:45
Or you could man up and install them yourself...
I'm on my 12th Heinie install on H&K pistols and every pair look like they came on the gun. I'd rather just spend my money on tools so I can expand my own abilities.. but that is just me. If you have two left hands, just send it to Heinie.

xray 99
01-12-12, 21:08
Or you could man up and install them yourself...
I'm on my 12th Heinie install on H&K pistols and every pair look like they came on the gun. I'd rather just spend my money on tools so I can expand my own abilities.. but that is just me. If you have two left hands, just send it to Heinie.

Did you buy a special sight pusher gadget?

BTW, I sent a set of Trijicons and my P2000 slide to HK. They installed with a disclaimer that their sight tool properly fits only Mep sights and they would not vouch for alignment. They might not touch the Heinies.

The_Watcher
01-12-12, 21:27
Did you buy a special sight pusher gadget?

BTW, I sent a set of Trijicons and my P2000 slide to HK. They installed with a disclaimer that their sight tool properly fits only Mep sights and they would not vouch for alignment. They might not touch the Heinies.

I used a wooden dowel and a small mallet. It really is pretty easy. Had the mallet, dowel was $2 from ace hardware, take your you're time. Hardest part is pushing the old sight out, especially with the p30.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

SW-Shooter
03-16-12, 16:41
I know this thread is over a month old, but you can buy a sight pusher for a little over $120.00. Buy one and never have to pay anyone to do something that you can do yourself. Installing sights is not a scary endeavor.

Robb Jensen
03-16-12, 18:26
Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna have either Virginia Arms or Gray Guns do it, just need to figure out which will be cheaper.

I'd charge $20 for install and $10 for return shipping insured. I've installed in excess of 400 sight sets on HKs, and at least 50 sets of Heinies on HKs.

Wolvee
03-17-12, 01:17
Doug at ATEi will install them cheap. He is in Michigan.

ATEi.com