PDA

View Full Version : question, Scope, AR,

tb-av
01-10-12, 18:22
I have an unusual question. Might even classify as stupid.

I'm nearing the point of getting a complete AR. I own an old Redfield 20X scope on another rifle that I have no intent to shoot. shope works fine.

Most of my shooting will be at 100yrds or less at stationary targets.

I realize that Irons, RDS, and 1x4 scopes are by far the most popular choices among most everyone. IOW, I rarely if ever have seen a 20x scope on an AR.

It would be fun if I could eventually shoot some longer ranges, in fact I would like to seek that out.

Would it be stupid, possible, not a bad idea, or whatever to try and keep that scope ( since it's long ago paid for ) and mount it temporarily for long range shooting. Is there a mount that would facilitate this that would hold a reasonably close zero.

Or am I just totally off the wall on this?

Oh, and I should say, I'm older and my eyesight is not great. Looks like the going rate on that scope is $350-400.

My initial thoughts are that it's impractical even for free but I hate to sell it and later wish I hadn't if it's viable even for an occasional thing I might do.

Dionysusigma
01-10-12, 18:31
Sure, why not?

As for mounts and/or rings, usually the taller, the better for an AR (since the bore axis is actually about 1/2" below the comb of the stock).

tb-av
01-10-12, 19:09
Sure, why not?

I should have posted more info....

this is what it looks like.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redfield-Scope-20X-/250913492077

It's 24" long.

I was leaning towards a 16" upper with FSB although I have not fully decided on that. It will be 16" though. Might just go with a long rail and this question influences that choice.

So I'm still in the can it be done? If so, how? area.

The rings right now are 11" apart on this rifle.
So is it doable to mount it with something attached to receiver and rail.

So if that scope is not physically too long for an AR, would I then need to have a mount that attached only on top of receiver?

When you say mount high. Do you mean enough to clear a FSB or would a fold down front sight be required?

Is all this practical for a "quick change" on a day out out shooting. IOW, pop scope off and pop RDS on?

Dionysusigma
01-11-12, 05:30
I should have posted more info....

this is what it looks like.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redfield-Scope-20X-/250913492077

It's 24" long.

I was leaning towards a 16" upper with FSB although I have not fully decided on that. It will be 16" though. Might just go with a long rail and this question influences that choice.

So I'm still in the can it be done? If so, how? area.

The rings right now are 11" apart on this rifle.
So is it doable to mount it with something attached to receiver and rail.
You might have to go with something called a Monolithic Upper, where the fore-end and the upper receiver are the same piece, and the top rail extends from basically the charging handle to the gas block (or even over it). Much too long to fit on a 16" carbine otherwise.

So if that scope is not physically too long for an AR, would I then need to have a mount that attached only on top of receiver?I highly doubt any such mount exists.

When you say mount high. Do you mean enough to clear a FSB or would a fold down front sight be required?Originally I meant in order to not have to scrunch your face down low enough, e.g. most scope rings only give about 1/2" of rise above the mount, where the AR needs an inch or so more than that to be comfortably usable. For a two-foot-long scope, though, a folding front sight would be a requirement, since the scope would sit much too high to be usable if it cleared a fixed front sight.

Is all this practical for a "quick change" on a day out out shooting. IOW, pop scope off and pop RDS on?Once again, I doubt it. Optics that are larger than the rifle itself don't often fit the description of "quick."

Condensed: There are many rifles that scope would be great on, but as for the AR, it would be overly impractical in my opinion. :(

tb-av
01-11-12, 08:35
Ok, thanks. That's what I wanted to verify.

Back to plan A.