PDA

View Full Version : Daughter Awarded NROTC Scholarship

Smuckatelli
01-10-12, 22:38
We got the word over the weekend that our oldest daughter was awarded a scholarship to George Washinton University.

chadbag
01-10-12, 23:13
Congratulations! To her and to you

Buck
01-10-12, 23:17
Congrats....

S/F

B

SeriousStudent
01-11-12, 20:41
Outstanding!

With the costs of college tuition these days, that is terrific news. Has she decided on a field of study?

And even more important, when does she start a GWU rifle team? :D

Hmmm - Daddy can teach how to make wind calls, and Tomas can help paste targets.

HES
01-11-12, 21:00
Fantastic!

montanadave
01-11-12, 22:02
Congratulations to your daughter.

Good news. Good school. Nice way to start the new year.

Smuckatelli
01-12-12, 10:02
Outstanding!

With the costs of college tuition these days, that is terrific news. Has she decided on a field of study?

And even more important, when does she start a GWU rifle team? :D

She request International Studies via:

Students interested in pursuing Tier 3 academic majors (all other academic majors not listed in Tier 1 or Tier 2) should examine the opportunities available in the Navy’s Language Skills, Regional Expertise, and Cultural Awareness (LREC) Program. Annually, the Navy will offer this program to 20 - 30 students. Attainment of a specific level of language proficiency is not required by the NROTC LREC program.

The thing thats throwing me for a loop is her award at GWU (tuition 44k a year). She was required to list an in state school, hers was the University of Virgina (tuition 10k a year). I'm guessing that someone in the Navy has plans for her.

She exceeds the requirements for Tier I & II, her interviewing officer tried to get her to request that but she wouldn't budge. It was pretty funny, the Navy Captain (Submariner) conducting the interview is our nieghbor. He looked at her academic scores (advance placement courses, 4.07 GPA)...dancing..singing...but ended up focusing on her shooting. He asked her how she adjusted the scope at 600 yards, she told him that she didn't use a scope, only iron sights. He asked if she could hit a playing card, with no bravado she told him that she wouldn't be able to she the card but if he told her where he placed the card on the target...she would hit it.

At that point he asked if she could explain the windage adjustments. We took her rifle out of the safe and she gave him a class.

Specific to GWU rifle team...me thinks probably not, its in the middle of D.C. but its a short ride to Quantico.;)

I didn't allow her to compete this past summer, she needed 'work experience'. She is still working at the carwash:D

She still goes to the range with me, we are working on transition drills. For those that haven't seen her range pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1205106733497.2032393.1403506178&type=1&l=0b00dcda2f

CarlosDJackal
01-13-12, 09:03
That is just awesome!! I applied for an Army ROTC Scholarship as I was leaving AD and did not have the grades (or intelligence) to get it.

Congratulations to you and your little girl. :)

chuckman
01-13-12, 12:20
Congrats. Does she want to be an anchor clanker or jarhead?

Smuckatelli
01-13-12, 13:06
Congrats. Does she want to be an anchor clanker or jarhead?

Taxi driver............:D

chuckman
01-13-12, 13:12
Taxi driver............:D

Nice. When I was a FMF corpsman in the reserves, my unit was across the street from NC State and I did some med support for UNC, NC State, and Duke. The mindset between the students pursuing Navy vice USMC was very interesting. I enjoyed it, especially the hazing, er, leadership exercises the Marine option would do in the field. The Navy side was very laid back...the Marine option side, not so much.

novashooter
01-13-12, 17:45
That is a Great University!

Congrats

Smuckatelli
01-13-12, 17:57
She's already telling me jarhead jokes.......that's okay, in two weeks we are going to start a PT program 05:00 Mon-Weds-Fri.....I'll teach her Marine cadence......;)

We're extremely proud of her, she is turning out to be a fine young woman.

SeriousStudent
01-13-12, 20:07
.......that's okay, in two weeks we are going to start a PT program 05:00 Mon-Weds-Fri.....I'll teach her Marine cadence......;)

Log PT. With Tomas riding on top calling cadence. :D

And those are some awesome shots from Camp Perry. I can't wait to hear about her humbling some Sailors on the rifle range.

JSantoro
01-13-12, 21:41
Nice, Smuck!

Congrats to the both of you!

Smuckatelli
01-13-12, 23:09
And those are some awesome shots from Camp Perry.

Nothing like being a retired Infantry Gunny and the first time seeing Camp Perry was as a soccer mom dropping her off to compete...:(

Heavy Metal
01-13-12, 23:59
Good for her!

Smuckatelli
06-13-12, 08:28
Update on the oldest....

She graduates this Saturday from North Stafford High School, summa cum laude with a GPA of 4.3. Her last day of working at the 610 Carwash is Thursday. CAOCL is hiring her as a summer intern to work at the European Desk. She'll be making almost three times the amount that she made at the Carwash.

She leaves for Fort AP Hill on 11 August for the week long 'boot camp' and then kicks off her International Studies with a minor in Russian at GWU during the last week of August.

She wont be competing at Camp Perry this year but she doesn't plan on letting her rifle collect dust.

The picture is her doing a solo at the Spring Chorus...her final High School performance.

C4IGrant
06-13-12, 08:39
Very cool!

C4

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-13-12, 12:56
Thats something to be proud of! While the Corps could use a motivated female officer who knows how to shoot, I suppose its still pretty admirable to go into the squid side! Good job on raising your kids right, thats how it should be done.

Smuckatelli
06-13-12, 14:49
While the Corps could use a motivated female officer who knows how to shoot, I suppose its still pretty admirable to go into the squid side! Good job on raising your kids right, thats how it should be done.

Funny that you mentioned that, the Navy Captain that did the interview dwelled on the shooting after briefly going over the academic and other achievements. The Captain's final sentences on her application were:

Based on her initiative, drive, and talent coupled with her natural leadership and intense loyalty to the United States, I would easily place her in the TOP 1% of all canidates. And since she is the daughter to a retired Marine Sniper Platoon Leadser, we are lucky she chose the Navy. I would put her in the MUST Select category.

The above was from a Captain with 30 years TIS, enlisted and officer Commanded 2 Attack Submarines with a tour at Villinova running the NROTC unit there.

feedramp
06-13-12, 15:38
Congrats on the scholarship! And to GW to boot!

SeriousStudent
06-13-12, 16:37
That's awesome. Tell her how proud we are of her, and good luck at A.P. Hill!

montanadave
06-13-12, 17:14
A terrific achievement and something to be extremely proud of ... for both of you.

CarlosDJackal
06-14-12, 09:56
We got the word over the weekend that our oldest daughter was awarded a scholarship to George Washinton University.

Congratulations!!

I applied for an Army ROTC Scholarship while I was still on active duty but my grades were just too low.

RogerinTPA
06-14-12, 10:31
Congratulations to your daughter.

Good news. Good school. Nice way to start the new year.

My sentiments exactly.

Congrats Smuck, to both you and your daughter.

HES
06-14-12, 13:23
Congrats to you and your daughter. Obviously you gave her the right tool and instruction and she made good use of them.

usmcvet
06-14-12, 16:24
Semper Fidelis.

Congratulations to both of you!

Smuckatelli
08-20-12, 08:43
She completed her induction at AP Hill over the weekend. Not too worse for wear.....had to take care of some nasty boot blisters. The supply bubbas issued the wrong size, she pointed that out but thay couldn't give her the right size.

Sher needs to run up to Henderson Hall to get the uniforms tailored.

She took the oath and is now a MIDN 4/C in the GWU NROTC Unit.

montanadave
08-20-12, 09:02
She completed her induction at AP Hill over the weekend. Not too worse for wear.....had to take care of some nasty boot blisters. The supply bubbas issued the wrong size, she pointed that out but thay couldn't give her the right size.

Sher needs to run up to Henderson Hall to get the uniforms tailored.

She took the oath and is now a MIDN 4/C in the GWU NROTC Unit.

Looking at the second set of pictures, it's hard not to start thinking how quickly time slips by.

But it appears the years were not wasted. Well done. Both of you.

Honu
08-20-12, 14:29
congrats :) I would be proud dad to :)

SeriousStudent
08-20-12, 21:06
Make sure we are all still around when she gets her Captain's stripes, I'll look forward to seeing those pics as well.

Congrats and good luck to her for the upcoming year as a plebe! :D

Magic_Salad0892
08-20-12, 23:14
Badass, man!

Congradulations, to her! :D:cool:

Smuckatelli
05-23-13, 07:58
She completed her first year of school.

We dropped her off at the airport this morning; she is on her way to San Diego for four weeks. She will be exposed to four different areas to help her make a decision on what she wants to do when she gets her commission:

1 week with submarines to include at least 24 hours under water.

1 week with surface ships on either a destroyer, cruiser or amphibious ship.

1 week with aviation

1 week with the Marines at Camp Pendleton; she'll be doing Infantry type stuff...shooting machineguns, rifles, pistols......and walking a lot..:).

Really proud of the young lass, she is 5th in her unit and her freshman GPA is either 3.8 or 3.9; she has one more final grade that she hasn't received yet.

davidjinks
05-23-13, 08:14
Outstanding news!

Best of luck to her and the parents that raised her!

She completed her first year of school.

We dropped her off at the airport this morning; she is on her way to San Diego for four weeks. She will be exposed to four different areas to help her make a decision on what she wants to do when she gets her commission:

1 week with submarines to include at least 24 hours under water.

1 week with surface ships on either a destroyer, cruiser or amphibious ship.

1 week with aviation

1 week with the Marines at Camp Pendleton; she'll be doing Infantry type stuff...shooting machineguns, rifles, pistols......and walking a lot..:).

Really proud of the young lass, she is 5th in her unit and her freshman GPA is either 3.8 or 3.9; she has one more final grade that she hasn't received yet.

skydivr
05-23-13, 10:53
We need more young citizens like this. Way to to proud dad!

SeriousStudent
05-23-13, 11:00
I am delighted and unsurprised that she did so well in her first year. The apple does not fall far from the tree. You raised her right, Dad.

Bets of luck to her in San Diego. Warn her about how addictive the belt-fed stuff is.

Submariner
05-23-13, 11:23
Navy. It's not just a job. It's an adventure.

Or is that an indenture?:D