PDA

View Full Version : Differences and similarities of civilian competition and combat shooting

Gunmenhunter
01-12-12, 06:55
I thought I would share a good article my friend Craig “Sawman” Sawyer wrote on the differences and similarities of civilian competition and combat shooting. Sawman is a Former Marine, Navy SEAL (DEV) & now a TV Personality on numerous TV shows and documentaries. Here you go….

The main parallels I see between combat shooting and competition shooting are that in each case, you need to be able to put your shots on a given target in a timely manner. Both disciplines can involve shooting, moving, reloading, and problem solving.

Other than those similarities, the two scenarios are worlds apart. One of the main points to consider in combat shooting is that your life is in immediate jeopardy. Someone is trying to kill you. This is simply never the case in civilian competition shooting. In my mind, that’s far and away the largest factor to consider.

In a life and death fight, the stresses on the shooter can be extreme, depending on his background, level of training, mental prep and actual combat experience. One thing I’ve noticed about my own reactions to sudden, violent confrontation over the years is the lack of significant increase in heart rate. Looking back on my own experiences growing up as a fighter, I clearly remember getting a massive adrenaline rush and an elevated heart rate to the point that my fighting actually became less effective with the physiological symptoms that come with an extreme elevation in heart rate. TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE CLICK NO THE LINK TO THE RIGHT http://stevereichert.com/differences-and-similarities-of-civilian-competition-and-combat-shooting/

jwfuhrman
01-12-12, 08:52
Being a competitive shooter, I will agree 100% with what you just posted.... And luckily I don't like those damn princess guns, I run stock m&p 9mm's in both USPSA and Multigun/3gun

The only thing competitive shooting really helps with real world wise is you ability to run ur gun, know how it shoots, how to reload quick, and shoot from odd positions, the rest can only be learned when the rounds are coming back at you.

JSantoro
01-12-12, 08:57
Entire article, include link.

Not a teaser that requires hitting the link for the whole story.