PDA

View Full Version : CCW *near* a College Campus in Florida?

Eurodriver
01-12-12, 09:56
editted

Palmguy
01-12-12, 10:28
I'll check Gutmacher's book when I get home, I think this may be addressed. I went to UCF which is a very centralized campus...for something like UF which is more along the lines of what you describe and with my recollection of the relevant statute you should be good to go as long as you stay off of university property.

markm
01-12-12, 13:03
Concealed means Concealed?

Shoot... I used to carry in class when I was a college student. You're worried about going down the street??

Eurodriver
01-12-12, 16:13
Thanks Palmguy, I appreciate it.

Concealed means Concealed?

Shoot... I used to carry in class when I was a college student. You're worried about going down the street??

I didn't say I wasn't carrying my gun, I only asked if it was legal. ;)

I'm asking because yesterday I was in a situation where if I was anywhere else I would have drawn my weapon, but since I was so close to school I withheld because I don't want to get charged with a felony unless I know for sure I'm going to be attacked (meaning, I'm being attacked already).

Luckily the situation was deescalated but I am curious now.

Kchen986
01-12-12, 20:26
Hey bud, you'll want to search here:

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/4FF72ECF62927EEA85256CC6007B4517

(Florida AG's website & Opinions).

However, I'd think the legislative intent of such prohibitions was to keep CCW'd guns off of campuses completely. You'll note that the the language of 790.06 states "colleges and university facilities." Whether colleges and university modifies "facilities" or whether "colleges" is separate from "university facilities" will give you your answer.

Unfortunately, I don't want to abuse the Westlaw database that I finally convinced my boss to subscribe to, so I can't do legislative history research right now (But you could dig around the FL Leg. website and see if you can find any remarks on the law).

HES
01-12-12, 21:08
Read Gutmachers book. The 7th edition is out now. Florida law is kinda screwed up about this. SS 790, as worded, does not actually apply to colleges and universities, however it's enforced as if it does. There is now a court challenge in process to get a decision on that. Until then it applies.

Per SS 790, if you are a CWL, you can drive by any school on any public road or be on private property (so long as you are invited) and not have to worry about the 1000' buffer.

Per SS 790.115 When dealing with a College or University facility a CWL in the state of Florida may carry a stun gun, or non lethal electric weapon that does not fire a dart or projectile. No pepper spray or mace. A CWL license holder may not carry a firearm. The caveat is that a school is allowed to even outlaw those weapons. So read up on your schools policies before setting foot on campus.

Gutmacher takes the position that the grounds themselves are not part of the facility. However there is no official court interpretation of this. He is willing to take on a test case :jester:

So short of the long, don't carry on campus unless you have a metric ass ton of money to spend and are willing to risk the possibility of being bubba's bitch.

Suwannee Tim
01-13-12, 04:54
It is legal to carry on a city street, county road or state road even if passes through a college campus. This would presumably include the sidewalks which would presumably be on the city, county or state's property.