PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Warranty on Feed Lip Spread?

toddackerman
12-12-07, 18:40
Do you think they would cover feed lip spread past the factory dimensions? I have some that are past .390" and wanted your inputs before calling them. (Factory specs. are .375".)

Thanks!

bullitt5172
12-12-07, 18:57
Yes, they will warranty any issue with the magazine!

cr420
12-12-07, 19:42
They have always sent me a brand new one in exchange

Cold Zero
12-12-07, 20:59
Full lifetime warranty, excellent C.S..

Rinspeed
12-13-07, 15:16
In my experience their customer service is almost as good as Dillons. :)

toddackerman
12-13-07, 16:09
I talked to Wilson today, and was totally blown away. I'm getting nine, new 8 round "ETM Mags" for $5.00 each! Here's the story.....

I have a total of eleven Wilson Mags. (7) #47D's and (4) #47's. The #47's are from the original Wilson Rogers offering 27 years ago. The #47D's are between 8- 10 years old, and I converted them all to 7 round capacity after having issues with the 8 round version. Not a lot, but 1 is too many for me.

After a lot of talk recently about "Feed Lip Spreading" here and on 10-8, I measured all of my Wilson Mags, and found that 9 of the 11 were out of spec., so I called Wilson to test their warranty. They voluntarily told me what the spec. was (.385" +/- .005") or between .380" and .390") before I told them what my Mags were measuring out at. They didn't even ask if they were working...which they all are.

My Mags measured .374" and .378" on the narrow side (both #47's), and up to .409" on the wide side (all #47D's). I had (2) #47's that were right at .385" and .386", and these were the 27 year old original Wilson Rogers Mags that have pretty much been loaded for most of that time with new springs replaced every year! Go figure.?

FWIW...I truly believe (as I have posted before) that stuffing that 8th round into a 7 round tube contributes greatly to lips spreading, and other various issues. I am now 100% convinced after measuring all of my Mags about the spreading. Hopefully the new ETM and Tripp Cobra Mags with the added depth in the tube will cure this. I still question if it will be enough to accommodate all of the spring tension inside the Mag. tube without any related problems.

BTW... Hilton Yam has said that when the lips spread to .390"..."get rid of them" as well.

So, Wilson offered to take them all back, and charge me the difference ($5.00 each) between the original price on the #47 and #47D's for the new "ETM Mags." and...... they will pay shipping on back to me! Talk about doing the "Snoopy Dog Dance"!

Hopefully I will be as satisfied with the new "ETM Mag" as I have been with the #47's. I'll probably put Tripp 7 round followers in them right off the bat because I like the metal follower contact on the slide lock lobe. I might also finally try the Tripp 8 round Cobra Mag while I'm playing with all of this.

I know many think that a warranty like this shouldn't be necessary when your life is at stake, but let's remember that these Mags were old, and very well used for the last 10 to 27 years, and still work perfectly. Simple preventative maintenance is what uncovered this issue, and I think it is much like checking your AR bolt for cracks, your AR buffer spring for wear, your bolt lugs for head space wear issues etc.

These were not manufacturing defects! If they were new Mags, then I would not be so polite. I too abhor the manufacturers out there that are putting out crap, and continue to do so knowing they have manufacturing problems, and they use us as their QC department. (Sorry for the rant.)

I honestly can't believe that a company would accept these Mags. back after all these years of normal "Wear and Tear", but I guess that's one reason Bill has been so successful.

LastRites
12-14-07, 11:38
Wilson is one of the really good companies!! Others should/could take a hint.

carshooter
12-14-07, 19:51
Todd,

I told you so in your thread about the Tripp upgrade kits!

I have been using Wilson 47D magazines continually since 1986. Every single time I've ever had the slightest issue, Wilson has replaced the magazines, including springs.

You can't possibly get better service than that.

toddackerman
12-15-07, 12:21
Todd,

I told you so in your thread about the Tripp upgrade kits!

I have been using Wilson 47D magazines continually since 1986. Every single time I've ever had the slightest issue, Wilson has replaced the magazines, including springs.

You can't possibly get better service than that.

Why yes you did!

Still liking the Tripp follower due to the metal engagement surface on the slide lock lobe notch. This is the only issue I ever had with the WC Mags over the last 27 years....failure to lock on an empty round due to follower wear. These were in my training mags that I don't pay much attention to. My "Go To mag followers" don't experience ANY wear after reliability testing, so this all might be a mute point with the Tripp upgrade. Again, all the Mags I sent back to Wilson still worked flawlessly...they had just spread out of spec.

The great point that someone else made, is that a WC Mag owner is assured of lifetime replacements in the event of wear....as long as Bill is alive at least. :)

Rana
12-15-07, 12:31
I sent some 47D's back without calling.

I had new mags within a week.

Wilson Combat is very customer service orientated.

carshooter
12-15-07, 12:46
Why yes you did!

The great point that someone else made, is that a WC Mag owner is assured of lifetime replacements in the event of wear....as long as Bill is alive at least. :)

And that's why Wilson gets all my 1911 magazine money, and why they are also my choice when they have something else I need.

I can't possibly imagine any other company providing warranty service on an item as high wear as a magazine, or magazine spring.

STS
12-17-07, 18:45
I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to Wilons mags, but the above posts have really helped to sway my opinion. Its rare these days when a company stands by their product like Wilson does. It speaks very highly of them.

Alaskapopo
12-17-07, 23:21
I had a couple of 10 round wilson mags where the feed lips spread and they would not longer drop free. Wilson replaced them free. By the way I have started using their new ETM mag and it is great.
Pat

toddackerman
12-18-07, 18:54
I had a couple of 10 round Wilson mags where the feed lips spread and they would not longer drop free. Wilson replaced them free. By the way I have started using their new ETM mag and it is great.
Pat

The 10 Rounders have had the "Spread Issue" since day 1. They were originally created for gamers, and I would never recommend them for "Serious Social Affairs". That goes for all 10 round Mags. Just my opinion and YMMV.

Alaskapopo
12-18-07, 19:50
I use 10 round Wilsons as my spare mags on my duty belt. So far no problems. I have been using them this way for about 2 years now. I shoot them during quals and every now and then to make sure they are still working reliably. I have not had any issues with them other than the spread. I also check them often. I feel the 2 extra rounds are worth the extra rounds are worth the trouble and so far so good.
Pat

toddackerman
12-18-07, 20:20
I use 10 round Wilsons as my spare mags on my duty belt. So far no problems. I have been using them this way for about 2 years now. I shoot them during quals and every now and then to make sure they are still working reliably. I have not had any issues with them other than the spread. I also check them often. I feel the 2 extra rounds are worth the extra rounds are worth the trouble and so far so good.
Pat

Just remember...when the inside measurement of the feed lips goes beyond .390", there is a potential for trouble. This is Wilson's spec for return. I'd hate to see you have a bad situation and not be totally informed. ;)

Alaskapopo
12-19-07, 14:00
Thanks. I have about 8 10 round mags and I use them in USPSA as well with no troubles so far except for the two I had to replace for failing to drop free. I will keep a close eye on them. I also have tested the mags with my duty ammo quite a bit.
Pat

sff70
12-20-07, 11:21
I have over 20 47Ds.

After several trouble-free years, over half of them are no longer reliable (FTF and FTE issues).

I stopped using Wilsons for duty, switching to McCormick Powermags (love 'em!).

I just measured all of the mags in the "no go" pile. ALL are over .390".

They will be going back to Wilson.

PLCedeno
12-20-07, 11:32
I just measured my very used Wilson mags. All were over.390. I sent them back yesterday. I suspect this thread is going to create an unexpected influx of returns at Wilson this month.

toddackerman
12-20-07, 12:41
I have over 20 47Ds.

After several trouble-free years, over half of them are no longer reliable (FTF and FTE issues).

I stopped using Wilsons for duty, switching to McCormick Powermags (love 'em!).

I just measured all of the mags in the "no go" pile. ALL are over .390".

They will be going back to Wilson.

The Power Mags' lips spread too. Anything that has extra spring tension like the Power Mag springs and Tripp springs forcing up wards will cause spread. Make sure when you are making your comparisons that you make the playing field level. My Wilson's were well worn and 10-27 years old. I still have 2 #47's that were from the original Wilson Rogers batch that have remained loaded since day one that are still in spec. That's the challenge....making them all so that hold the tolerances over time without bad lots, or inferior materials coming through.

That being said, and after talking to Wilson and Tripp, this is their #1 QC concern. Both companies have engineered the lips, and use upgraded materials (New Stainless Steels) that should reduce "cracks" greatly.