PDA

View Full Version : Moly Coated bullets and the stainless barrel Q?

User Name
12-12-07, 18:46
A company ended up shipping me Moly Coated 75gr MHP Black Hills when I asked for non moly. Well of course they cannot take the ammo back but are there any negative affects of moly on barrels that get shot allot hence get very hot

jmart
12-12-07, 19:00
No. just clean afterwards and use a bit of protectant down your barrel. You won't be able to remove all of the moly so don't try to. Just clean as usual, lube and shoot again. Eventually enough naked bullets will strip remaining moly remnants.

ST911
12-12-07, 22:16
A company ended up shipping me Moly Coated 75gr MHP Black Hills when I asked for non moly. Well of course they cannot take the ammo back but are there any negative affects of moly on barrels that get shot allot hence get very hot

Can't, or won't? Company?

Shihan
12-13-07, 12:50
If they shipped the wrong item and it was their mistake and not yours they need t make good on it. If not report it to your CC company and get the charges reversed.

PetesTactical
12-16-07, 20:34
I thought that moly bullets were better for the barrel? Less wear. Don't people use them to break in a barrel rather than putting an oiled patch down it every couple of rounds?

Tim_W
12-17-07, 00:22
true but add a little h2o moisture into the mix and you get a highly corrosive acid. Not good for your barrel. To me Moly is a BR thing not for a run hard combat rifle.

Tim