PDA

View Full Version : GRIP REDUCTION QUESTIONS.

HaydenB
01-12-12, 16:36
I was thinking of getting a grip reduction and texture job done on my glock 34. And before I do (as with every serious firearms question I have) I thought I would ask the opinions of the fine folks at M4C! :D

So here it goes......

I was wondering if a grip reduction would allow me to reach the mag release without having to shift my grip? 'Cause right now, when I do a reload, I need to shift my grip in order to get enough leverage on my thumb to hit the mag release. Its not even so much that I have to shift my grip to do a reload that bugs me, its that I have to shift it back to start shooting again. My thumb is long enough to touch the mag release, but not to depress it. :(

And my second question is: How long does the texture of a stipple job last? Right now I use 3M stair tread tape on my grip, and it wears down pretty quick. Not to mention It eventually starts to slide around.

So to recap, my questions are....

Will a grip reduction allow me to hit my mag release?
How long does a stipple job stay "stipply"? :)

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hear everyone's experiences.

okie john
01-12-12, 16:51
I was wondering if a grip reduction would allow me to reach the mag release without having to shift my grip?

It depends on the size and shape of your hands. Having already had a reduction done, I can't say that I'd do another one. If this is the only problem you have with a factory Glock grip, I'd get a $3 factory extended mag release and file it down until it's long enough to work without gouging your palm. Then you're only out $3 and you can return the gun to original condition if you decide to sell it.

How long does the texture of a stipple job last?

Mine has lasted for something like nine months of EDC.

Okie John

HaydenB
01-12-12, 17:04
Thanks for your response John.

My glock is a 34 so it came from the factory with an extended mag release....

Evil Colt 6920
01-12-12, 17:06
An extended mag release may help you. Id try that before making drastic changes to your grip without trying the cheaper/easier modifications first.

okie john
01-12-12, 17:18
My glock is a 34 so it came from the factory with an extended mag release....

Of course...

A reduction might help. There are millions of options. The Glock picture thread has a lot of shots of reduced grips that might help you choose what to have done.

Okie John

CumbiaDude
01-12-12, 18:13
Hmm, I was going to suggest a Vickers extended mag release, but if you already have the factory one then it's even longer than the Vickers. My problem sounded very similar to yours: Glock 19 I could reach the mag release on but not depress without shifting grip. I put a Vickers on mine and it fixed that issue (like magic). Well after that I took off the finger grooves on the front, but didn't do anything to the back or restipple or anything like that. It didn't have any effect on how I reached the magazine release, so you'd have to go more extreme and reshape the backstrap, I think.

As for how the stippling holds up, it remolds the plastic, so it should last as long as anything else on the weapon (i.e., forever except against grinding or hard smashing).

Tango Charlie145
01-12-12, 18:16
I had a grip reduction / stippleing done on my Glock 19 about 6 months ago and in my opinion, it works great FOR ME. I would reccommend finding someone who has had it done and see how you like it. I took a chance with a 19 I did not have a lot invested in. I have small hands so the reduction lets me reach the mag release (Vickers) easier without turning the grip very much at all. I can actually reach the slide lock (Vickers) without changeing the grip at all, however, I do not use the slide lock for anything other than locking the slide to the rear.
Lane at Cold Bore Customs did my work and he does an outstanding job and a short turn around time. Here is the picture from the thread on Glocktalk that convinced me to send him my 19. I had the exact same mods done.
Hope this helps.
TC
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344844

HaydenB
01-12-12, 18:44
Tango, thanks for the reply. Its funny you should mention Cold Bore Customs, as Lane is who I was planning on to the work.

How do you like the carry texture? Is it just as abrasive (in a good way) after 6 months?

Tango Charlie145
01-12-12, 19:22
The carry texture is very easy to hold on to, not that the original grip wasn't, it is better for me. I do a lot of 1 handed shooting and I can get a very good grip from the draw. The texture has not worn, but has smoothed out a little and this is the pistol I carry everyday. I really liked straightening of the backstrap. The finger groove removal gives my fingers room to grip the handgun as high as I want without having to use the space between the grooves. The rounding of the trigger guard was cosmetic only, just don't like the square trigger guard.
Lanes work is great. I have never compared it to others work as I have never seen it other than photos. Those that have seen my pistol are already planning to send theirs to him, including an EXO 19.
Hope this helps you make your decision.
TC

Bowie Tactical
01-12-12, 19:30
I started the grip reductions with stippling a long time ago. Until then people were just using truck bed liner and marine tech on the grips. I have guns over 10 years old Iv'e done and they still work fine. They dull a little but if done right will last a long , long time.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical

rainman
01-12-12, 19:45
Can't say whether a grip reduction will help you reach the mag release more easily, although it makes sense.

FYI, I've had grip reductions on most of my G19s, not necessarily because I have small hands, but because to me it improves the feel/shootability of the gun...YMMV.

Have had work by David Bowie @Bowie Tacticl Concepts and Ben Simonson @Boresight Solutions...very pleased with both. Have heard nothing but positive things about Coldbore Customs.

-Rainman

HaydenB
01-13-12, 15:08
I started the grip reductions with stippling a long time ago. Until then people were just using truck bed liner and marine tech on the grips. I have guns over 10 years old Iv'e done and they still work fine. They dull a little but if done right will last a long , long time.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical

Mr. Bowie, thank you for your valuable input.

Do you have any comments on what method of stippling you see lasting the longest?