PDA

View Full Version : Accessory Help for a Colt M4 carbine

bflohunter
01-13-12, 09:20
Hi all!

This is my first post on the forum. I want to put a few accessories onto my rifle. I own a Colt M4 A3 model MT6400c with a removable carry handle. My first Accessory I am attaching is a KAC m4 RAS w/ forgrip and that one seems easy enough

Here's my questions for the other accessories....

1) I want to mount an EOTech 552 or 512 to it. Is it as simple as removing the carry handle and mounting it or do I have to attach a top rail first?

2) What are some suggestions for a flip down back sight?

3) I shoot it a lot at the range and it is extremely loud. I have read here that you can change the muzzle break to help with that but I can't decide between all the options. Does anyone have any tips for a good muzzle break.

I know there literally a ton of options out there but that has lead to more confusion on my part because this is my first ar15 carbine. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

My goal with the rifle is to have a top of the line home defense weapon. I also like to shoot it at a local gun club often.

Thanks in advance!!!

shua713
01-13-12, 09:41
If I were you I would spend that money on a training class and some ammo. After you have done some training with it, you will know what you need. I would not just throw my money away to find out that the things I did to my rifle, I don't need or like. Just my 2 cents

bflohunter
01-13-12, 09:52
Well the ammo part is complete. I have had it for a year and practiced a lot with it and am very familiar with it. I simply have never accessorized a rifle before outside of putting a scope on my hunting rifle. Like i mentioned before, my colt I am intending to make a home defense rifle first and target shooter second. Trust me I have done a lot of homework but just do not want to make an expensive mistake. Thanks for your input though.

Doc Safari
01-13-12, 10:05
I'll just offer one bit of advice I learned the hard way: do not buy your rear BUIS until you decide on an optic. I wasted money on a couple of fixed rear sights and ended up deciding to go with a folding one instead after deciding on an Aimpont T1 for my optic.

davidjinks
01-13-12, 10:15
OP

I highly suggest you use the search function here. You say you've done a lot of homework...

bflohunter
01-13-12, 10:43
I'll just offer one bit of advice I learned the hard way: do not buy your rear BUIS until you decide on an optic. I wasted money on a couple of fixed rear sights and ended up deciding to go with a folding one instead after deciding on an Aimpont T1 for my optic.

Thanks for this advice. I am either going with the eotech 512 or 552. That decision should be made soon. I wanted a folding rear sight so it stays out of the way of the eotech reticle. And then of course I can use it if absolutely needed. Do you have a rear folding sight you would recommend?

bflohunter
01-13-12, 10:46
OP

I highly suggest you use the search function here. You say you've done a lot of homework...

I have done homework. Google is a wonderful thing ;)

However there are some things I cannot find the answer to in this forum or the ar15.net forum. I am not trying to be pricky here but it is never a bad idea to ask people who would be more knowledgeable then me.

Doc Safari
01-13-12, 10:46
Do you have a rear folding sight you would recommend?

It's a matter of preference to a certain extent. Do a search and there is more than one thread on what people prefer and why.

davidjinks
01-13-12, 11:15
How to mount an EoTech:

http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=How+to+mount+an+eotech&siteurl=m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D96799

BUIS suggestions:

http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=BUIS+suggestions&siteurl=m4carbine.net%252F&siteurl=m4carbine.net%252F

Muzzle devices:

http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=Muzzle+devices+&sa=Search

JSantoro
01-13-12, 11:40
There's stickied threads at the top of every subforum. Read through them, to help narrow the scope of your inquiry, if nothing else.

Think of them as a FAQ feature, even if the Search functions wouldn't provide some guidance to all of this.