PDA

View Full Version : News: ARX160 now available also in 7,62 x 39

PaoloAR15
01-13-12, 10:37
You'll see it I guess in the Shot Show:

http://www.all4shooters.com/it/Contenuti/Pro-Zone/2012/January/NEWS/Beretta%20ARX160%207,62x39/

Two lines to introduce myself:

I am a specialized journalist in the field of small arms and defence systems from Italy, but I collaborate also with German and US gun/defense magazine such ash Small Arms Defense Journal. (btw, the signature in the news is from my press agency...)

I'll be glad if I can contribute and enrich this forum in any way can be reputed useful, if there is any rule for press rapresentative here, I'll abid to them, just tell.

In the specific, I'll be glad to answer to any question you might feel is relevant for you.

Regards

PaoloAR15

LHS
01-13-12, 10:50
Welcome to the forum Paolo. I have only one question: when will the ARX160, in any form or caliber, be available to civilians in the US?

KalashniKEV
01-13-12, 11:00
+1000

I was going to post that it's not-available-in-anything at the moment!

I'm glad that they made a 7.62x39mm variant... now they just need to get some in the US.

Assuming it performs, if this rifle hits the market at a decent price it's going to completely eat up the market space currently held by Masada/ACR, SCAR-L, and XCR.

The modularity, ejection switch, egos, are all amazing...

I'm excited for this one.

PaoloAR15
01-13-12, 11:03
Thank for the greetings.

I asked the question directly to Beretta in 2009, when the new assault rifle has been officially adopted by Italian Armed Forces and I was testing it for publishing purposes.

The question was if they foresee the chance to produce a civilian version, not one specific for the USA.

The answer from Beretta was that the effort, in this moment, is aimed to produce rifles for the Italian Armed Forces (distribution started after the field test in Afghanistan) to replace the AR70/90.

This is the only reliable answer I got from the company.

DeltaSierra
01-13-12, 11:58
Welcome to the forum!

I appreciate you posting this information.

:)

hec912
01-13-12, 12:41
I don't dig the mag well but nice piece over all

ryr8828
01-13-12, 21:52
Thank for the greetings.

I asked the question directly to Beretta in 2009, when the new assault rifle has been officially adopted by Italian Armed Forces and I was testing it for publishing purposes.

The question was if they foresee the chance to produce a civilian version, not one specific for the USA.

The answer from Beretta was that the effort, in this moment, is aimed to produce rifles for the Italian Armed Forces (distribution started after the field test in Afghanistan) to replace the AR70/90.

This is the only reliable answer I got from the company.
So you're telling us about a rifle we can't buy.

DeltaSierra
01-13-12, 22:21
So you're telling us about a rifle we can't buy yet.

There, fixed it for you...

Maybe some day these things will get to the US market... We can dream, can't we? ;)

Jaws
01-14-12, 01:02
I don't dig the mag well but nice piece over all

I do. It is using the cheap and plentiful AK mags.:D

Aries144
01-14-12, 01:40
If it really is 6.8 lbs unloaded with a 16" barrel and those rails attached, I'm interested.

PaoloAR15
01-14-12, 07:46
Gentlemen, I hope that in this forum there is people interested in real military technology, that's why I posted about an assault rifle that it has interesting points even if it is NOT available to civilian market.

It's called "gun culture".

If you are interested to the civilian version, sorry: Beretta AT THE MOMENT it is not interested.

Policy and marketing can change: US civilian market is big and interesting.

If you are interested in technical question, please do: I am at your disposal.

DeltaSierra
01-14-12, 09:16
Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I certainly am interested in learning about new rifles, even if they are not available on the US civilian market.

As far as the ARX160, does it use a cold hammer forged barrel? Is it chrome lined? What type of barrel steel? What is the barrel twist rate?

Gentlemen, I hope that in this forum there is people interested in real military technology, that's why I posted about an assault rifle that it has interesting points even if it is NOT available to civilian market.

It's called "gun culture".

If you are interested to the civilian version, sorry: Beretta AT THE MOMENT it is not interested.

Policy and marketing can change: US civilian market is big and interesting.

If you are interested in technical question, please do: I am at your disposal.

PaoloAR15
01-14-12, 10:06
As far as the ARX160, does it use a cold hammer forged barrel?

very happy to answer: yes, the barrel is a cold hammer forged barrel

Is it chrome lined?

Again the answer is YES, it's chrome lined.

What type of barrel steel?

High resistance Chrome Steel, I guess. Some materials have not been revealed by Beretta in their specifications, as well as the nature of the polymer.

What is the barrel twist rate?

for BOTH barrels (the weapon is delivered to the combat units with TWO barrels: 12" and 16") is 6 RH rifling with 1:7" twist.

Frens
03-31-12, 06:09
a couple of vids, not mine

http://youtu.be/GzwX1JtSM0w

http://youtu.be/3LuQsrqrEOw

JoshNC
03-31-12, 09:20
a couple of vids, not mine

http://youtu.be/GzwX1JtSM0w

http://youtu.be/3LuQsrqrEOw

Very cool thanks for posting them, Frens. The shooting range looks as though it is in the basement of a 17th century Monastary!

High Tower
03-31-12, 10:31
I spoke with some Beretta folk in January and they are planning on releasing it in the US.

As screwed up as our government and ATF is, the Italian gov is far worse. The larger hurdle is clearing it past them first, then the ATF.

They figure the soonest they can get this done is spring of next year which mean the following spring :D

NWPilgrim
03-31-12, 11:38
Look at this video which describes it better:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGS2WAF2oAo#

Switchable bolt op handle, folding buttstock, quick change barrel, twin ejectors and extractors, and looks like short stroke piston operation. Looks great but I bet if a civilian versi

PaoloAR15
04-12-12, 08:20
At the moment no planning to release a civilian version, nor in Italy or in USA.

PaoloAR15
04-12-12, 08:25
Another technical observation: the Beretta ARX160 operating system is a good mix between short stroke and long stroke gas piston system.

Long Stroke: because the telescopic piston extends by the gas action almost all the lenght of the 5.56 NATO case.

Short Stroke: there is NO MECHANICAL linking between op-rod and telescopic gas piston (that's why you can remove the barrel in seconds with no problems and mount another one). The piston gives only the IMPULSE to the BCG mass to allow it to cycle.

556Cliff
04-12-12, 09:10
How is the return to zero on the quick change barrel?

Also, is this rifle in the US replacement carbine trials?

Vitor
04-16-12, 00:35
How is the return to zero on the quick change barrel?

Also, is this rifle in the US replacement carbine trials?

Since nothing on upper is changed, except the barrel of course, I would believe that doesn't affect the zero.

Sensei
04-17-12, 08:09
Since nothing on upper is changed, except the barrel of course, I would believe that doesn't affect the zero.

I have several weapon platforms that are capable of barrel changes such as MRPs, SCAR, XCR, DTA SRS. Each of those have some degree of zero change with removing and replacing the barrel. Usually, it is under 1 MOA, but this is significant on a precision weapon. Thus, I confirm my zero on any weapon that has the barrel removed.