PDA

View Full Version : What work for Ruger hunter

jahwarrior1423
01-13-12, 14:34
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44mag.

What are some "upgrades" I can do to this?...

Watrdawg
01-13-12, 15:20
One thing I did is what has been termed as a poor mans trigger job. Before i did it I spoke to a couple of gunsmiths and they both said weapon would function fine and be safe. To smooth out and lighten up the trigger pull you take off one of the grip panels and pop the spring off of the post on that side. Then put the panel back on. This lightens up the trigger pull. I've measured the pull and it is right about 3lbs that way. I've fired about 100 rounds through it as is and everything is fine. I have the Bisley model. Bowen Classic Arms does great work on them also.

Lost River
01-13-12, 17:51
Simple.

Start reloading!

10 grains Unique and a 240 or 250 grain cast SWC bullet. That standard "general purpose" load will work for practice as well as mule deer, rock chucks, you name it. It is easy on the gun, easy on the wrists and easy on the pocket book.

Steady practice with a medium velocity load will make you an accomplished handgunner much faster than upgrades.

Happy hunting!

Steve in PA
01-13-12, 18:48
Upgrades? For what reason would you need to upgrade anything? The only thing I can think of would be to change grips.

I own and hunt with a Super Redhawk and changed out the stock grips for Hogue Tamer grips. Not because of the recoil, but I wanted something that fit my hand better.

I just picked up a Super Blackhawk, also in .44mag and put a set of Hogue grips on it to git my hand better. I must admit the rubber grips do not look good on the blued Blackhawk, so mext chance I get I will be getting a get of Hogue Goncalo Alves wooden grips.

Other that those, the only thing I would recommend is get out and shoot!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Steve_in_PA/Guns/20111128072854.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Steve_in_PA/Guns/20120107141135.jpg

Suwannee Tim
01-13-12, 19:23
You could send it to Cylinder and Slide and have them do their magic on it. You could easily lighten your wallet by twice the retail price of the gun. You could have the barrel shortened to 5 inches, that's something I want but in 454. That or just leave it alone. The factory grips are great already. Just shoot the danged thing.

Inspector-Callahan
05-11-12, 21:24
The first cheap upgrade you can do is install a tighter fitting Belt Mountain base pin with the Keith head on it. Looks so much better and also it takes much of the slop out of the cylinder rotation. Next on my list would be nice wood grips that are fitted to the gun. It really classes up a gun like that. I have the SBH Bisley hunter and have never felt the need to do anything to the trigger. I only installed the base pin and its good to go! Its one of my favorite guns!

Ic

okie john
05-11-12, 23:24
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44mag.

What are some "upgrades" I can do to this?...

What you can do and what are useful upgrades can be two very different things.

Which upgrades will be useful depend on what you want to do with the gun. For hunting and general goofing around, I'd have the trigger tuned to be crisp and call it good. The "Poor Man's Trigger Job" is a good start, but it just lightens the trigger pull without making it crisper.

The handload Lost River recommended is a good one. I've killed several deer with it, and it's accurate enough for rabbits. In a 7.5" barrel, it will probably do 1,100 fps, which is plenty. The 44 throws a big hunk of lead, and there's really no reason to load hotter than a 250-grain bullet at about 1,200 fps. If you need more punch than that, then a handgun isn't the best choice.

The Bowen Rough Country rear sight renders a slightly better sight picture if you think you need that. Belt Mountain base pins are also nice, but unless you have other action work done, I don't see much point in them.

Okie John

anachronism
05-14-12, 20:45
Take it out and shoot it. Run a couple of hundred rounds through it, then sit back and think about what you want it to do differently. The situation will be much clearer at that point.

cbr
05-16-12, 22:02
Other than the trigger improvements already mentioned, I can't think of anything else needed on a Super Blackhawk. They are the perfect hunting revolver in my opinion. :D

Denny
05-20-12, 16:41
Well replace the main spring to lighten trigger pull. Add a Wolfe heavy duty base pin spring. Belt Mountian base pin. Grips for the heavy laods loads. Reload if not already

airman
07-08-12, 21:37
I have a bisley hunter that I installed nikon monarch 2.5-8 eer scope on and can get 3inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards using a sandbag rest.one of my favorite bisleys. I have a standard 357 bisley and a 5.5 inch stainless 357 bisley and also have a 4 5/8 super blackhawk that I converted to a bisley grip and hammer and trigger. The bisley grip absorbs recoil and fits my hand very well. I use oregon trails 240 grain swc and 10 grains of unique for an easy shooting load in my 44s. Just shoot your hunter and enjoy.