PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear?

Lone_Ranger
01-13-12, 14:36
Any recommendations for rain gear? I would like something in multicam.

I tried a friend's Tru-Spec H2O Proof Gen2 ECWCS Parka, and it seemed to work OK, but was starting to bubble on the outside. (I don't know if he threw it in the dryer, on high, or what) I wore it riding, for a few hours in a steady rain, and it kept me dry. But when I put it back on after being inside for another couple of hours, it seemed like it had soaked through, in the drying process. And it didn't seem to work as well as the Gore-Tex I was issued in the Guard. (Don't know what Gen it was, but it was 94-02, and was in Woodland)

Anything out there that is reasonably priced?

Jaysop
01-13-12, 14:47
MIL issued rain gear works good if you treat it with a heavy coat of camp dry. Same with boots.

I think there's a recent thread about rain gear from Rob_s on hear with a lot of good info.

ST911
01-13-12, 23:33
Good thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14441

Wake27
01-14-12, 00:29
Good price is going to be hard, but if you're willing to pay, Arc'teryx is one of the best, IMO.

trinydex
01-14-12, 02:20
Good price is going to be hard, but if you're willing to pay, Arc'teryx is one of the best, IMO.

The arcteryx beta sl is a great rain shell. Buy a size up and layer it with any brand fleece on the inside and you cover a large range of climates.

Lone_Ranger
01-14-12, 09:59
Good thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14441

Thanks! Believe it or not, I did check the search feature before I posted. But, I didn't find that thread.

The LEAF Arc'teryx Alpha Jacket is a little out of the reasonable price range, at $846. I wouldn't want to risk wearing it in the field, at that price! Be like wearing gold.

Wake27
01-14-12, 10:59
Well the regular Alpha is $600, but yeah for the new MC pattern one its way up there. Their stuff is supposedly built to last though, I've had my Gore-Tex shell for over a year and I wear it constantly. I'm about to buy another too.

Lone_Ranger
01-14-12, 16:15
I'd love to have one, but can't justify the cost. Is there no middle ground, between Tru-Spec and Arc'Teryx?

trinydex
01-14-12, 16:44
Pretty much every major hiking brand makes pack light rain shells. Some are expensive like patagonia and arcteryx, others are more in the middle, like marmot, northface, some are really inexpensive like columbia and rei's brand.

Team Chuck Norris
01-14-12, 19:51
A year ago I was given the Tru-Spec jacket in Multicam. With only light usage, the internal tape is starting to peal off. Taping under the stitching is necessary. I cannot recommend Tru-Spec. Around 12 years ago I purchased a NorthFace gore shell and it gave outstanding service in harsh conditions for nearly ten years. NorthFace has become too mainstream and has lost much of their technical capability in favor of selling to the masses. I no longer recommend NorthFace.

A question to ask is whether you want waterproof/not breathable, or, do you want waterproof/breathable?

For non-breathable, the following Carhartt is outstanding:

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=50202&langId=-1&categoryId=48231&top_category=10926

For breathable, at a moderate price range with good quality, I would recommend one of the jackets from REI:

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4501456&jxBrand=REI&hist=cat%2C4501456%3AMen%27s+Rain+Jackets%5EjxBrand%2CREI

Although, some do not like REI's politics. They ran a large ad campaign a few years ago stating that they do not sell anything which is used to kill. They were trying to differentiate themselves from Dick's which sells some guns.

trinydex
01-14-12, 22:43
Good points above. Just to clarify the arcteryx beta sl rain shell is gortex but its essentially a non breathable plastic bag.

newyork
01-14-12, 23:30
Otte Gear's Patrol Parka hard shell is $450. I dont have it but I have their Alpine soft shell and it is high quality

variablebinary
01-14-12, 23:37
For Walmart runs, or military use?

Lone_Ranger
01-15-12, 03:06
For Walmart runs, or military use?

Field Use. Hiking, range, riding, etc. I try to avoid WalMart at all costs, but if I have to go I usually just make a dash. I need something I can be in the rain for a while.

Breathable yes, I liked the GoreTex I was issued in the guard. This replaced what I liked to call the "Gumby Suit." I hated the Gumby Suit.

I agree with the comments on the Tru-Spec H20. It just doesn't seem to hold up. Is there a Propper version, around maybe the $250 range?

variablebinary
01-15-12, 07:40
Field Use. Hiking, range, riding, etc. I try to avoid WalMart at all costs, but if I have to go I usually just make a dash. I need something I can be in the rain for a while.

Breathable yes, I liked the GoreTex I was issued in the guard. This replaced what I liked to call the "Gumby Suit." I hated the Gumby Suit.

I agree with the comments on the Tru-Spec H20. It just doesn't seem to hold up. Is there a Propper version, around maybe the $250 range?

If that's the case don't get ass raped by a "tactical brand"

Marmot, North Face, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, EMS and REI will all offer a massive selection of gear in natural colors that will combat the elements incredibly well without spending a fortune.

Given that we just came out of the Christmas shopping season, there is no reason you can't score a primaloft insulation layer and barrier rain jacket for under $300 together.

Wake27
01-15-12, 10:59

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=9881&tabid=548&catid=2302

carrotstick
01-15-12, 11:05
I know Im going to get some hate mail about this, but I didnt see anything about Condor. I have their soft shell and I really like it. The quality isnt Arteryx or Tag, but its damn good for 80 bucks. I use it for hiking and its holding up pretty well. I just give it quick once over with a paper towel and some warm water after Im done with it for the day. The fit is a bit snug as its "Alpine" cut and meant to be worn under armor so maybe order a size up especially if you plan to layer. Overall, I like it and think it at least deserves a look.

Lone_Ranger
01-15-12, 13:01
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=9881&tabid=548&catid=2302

If they offered the Gen II, in Multicam, that would be perfect.

The Propper™ AdventureTech APCU Level V Soft Shell Parka, is nice, too! http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=17590&tabid=548
On sale for $71, but they are out of Multcam. Also looks like Propper is discontinuing that model.

Wake27
01-15-12, 13:04
Maybe the TAG or 5.11 one? I haven't tried much of either stuff, but what I have I do like.

товарищ
01-16-12, 01:24
Keep an eye out for soldiers who are selling off their OCP (Multicam) GEN III Level 6 Gore-tex sets on eBay. I believe ADS handles the contract for these. You can pick up a NWT parka for about $100 if you're patient. I've heard good things about them (no personal experience, I'm still using my old woodland Gore-tex)

They're not super tactical, but they'll keep you dry.

Watrdawg
01-16-12, 08:39
If you decide to get away from MC then look at the Cabelas EXV Goretex rainwear. It's fairly inexpensive and so far has kept me completely dry. In the spring and early summer I'm running Field Trials and Hunt Tests with my labs and can be outside in some pretty heavy down pours. There have been times where it's been so heavy that you could'nt see 50 yards in front of you. I've been out in it for most of a day at times. Always dry. You can even zip in a fleece line in the jacket. I bought the jacket and pants in 09 on sale for $200 total. Later I added the fleece liner. With the fleece line ther jacket makes a decent winter parka.

JSantoro
01-16-12, 08:40
Marmot, North Face, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, EMS and REI will all offer a massive selection of gear in natural colors that will combat the elements incredibly well without spending a fortune.

Don't discount this, it's absolutely correct. I hit my "local" REI in Fairfax over the weekend, and couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a rack both marked "Clearance" and choked with post-Christmas overstock. Stuff's ranging from 25-60% off retail, and you're not limited to the gender-nonspecific eyesore colors that the office wogs wear in an effort to kid those around them that they're outdoorsmen.

Their politics....only politics of theirs I note is the fact that you can return or exchange ANYthing for just about any reason if you are unsatisfied with the product. For me, that includes taking back and exchanging a pair of boots that developed a squeak in the right heel after I'd worn nearly every day for over 8mos; given that, they can support the Tooth Fairy in the next presidential election and lobby for the removal of the letter "M" from the alphabet, as far as I'm concerned....:D

As for Condor, that's a softshell, which are water resistant, not rain gear. While we love softshells for general hack-around stuff and traipsing across a parking lot in moderate rain, one still needs a shell of you're gonna be outside in a deluge or be rolling around in the wet for extended times.

Yeah, North Face sold out a long time ago, once they tapped further into the urban crowd. The used to make no-shit expedition weight gear. Now, they're only good for parody "Hey **** Face" patches.

Also, don't discount some of the stuff you can find at Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. If you look hard enough, you can find things that aren't that "realtree" camo BS, and that work really well. My rainpants came from a Bass shop, are a neutral tan/green/khaki color that gets multicam enough for anybody once they get enough mud slopped on them, and have been around long enough that the tags are gone. I have no idea who made them, just barely know which side is the front....but they keep the wet out, even when I'm laying on it for 3 hours.

Bob-USMC
01-16-12, 13:38
Are you military or LE? If so you can join the Arc'teryx LEAF program and receive a sizable discount. That's how I justified the purchase of my alpha jacket anyway.
In short: Best. Goretex. Ever.

Lone_Ranger
01-16-12, 15:00
Are you military or LE? If so you can join the Arc'teryx LEAF program and receive a sizable discount. That's how I justified the purchase of my alpha jacket anyway.
In short: Best. Goretex. Ever.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware they had a program. How do you sign up?

Bob-USMC
01-16-12, 15:39
When I did mine registration I sent them a front and back copy of my military ID and after about a week my account was approved. Per the conditions of being a LEAF member, I don't think I can share what the discounts are, but I can tell you they are significant enough to get me off the fence.

I'll just say again that the LEAF alpha jacket is incredible and worth every penny.

Wake27
01-16-12, 16:17
They do state that it is for AD use only though, not recreational... I guess you may be able to justify it, but not necessarily.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/How-To-Apply.aspx?EN

Bob-USMC
01-16-12, 17:15
They do state that it is for AD use only though, not recreational... I guess you may be able to justify it, but not necessarily.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/How-To-Apply.aspx?EN

That's true, I forgot you said it was for rec use. Either way, if you have a ligitimate mil or LE application for the gear you are looking at in LEAF, you will be within their policy guide lines and there for be eligible for the program. I've used mine for several training events, and I particularly enjoy the alpha because it is cut high enough to get to your pistol belt.

EzGoingKev
01-16-12, 18:49
Northface stuff is OK and they have a mil & LEO discount too.

The attention to detail and material selection on the Arc'teryx stuff makes the Northface stuff look like something you picked up at Target.

If you want the bird but do not want to spend the money then check Craigslist, eBay, Geartrade, and look for close outs.

Another option is mil stuff. I picked up a MARPAT APECS parka for $75 on eBay. It is like new, has nice features, fits good, and is built tough. For $75 if I screw it up I will throw it out and just buy another.

carrotstick
01-19-12, 20:26
As for Condor, that's a softshell, which are water resistant, not rain gear. While we love softshells for general hack-around stuff and traipsing across a parking lot in moderate rain, one still needs a shell of you're gonna be outside in a deluge or be rolling around in the wet for extended times.

My b. I thought we were talking any old rain repellent piece of clothing. If you lookin' for rain gear, why not get the good ol' GI Poncho? Not too tactical I know, but at least it'll keep you dry from the thighs up. And its only 30 or 40 smackaroos.

JohnnyC
01-20-12, 01:05
Don't discount this, it's absolutely correct. I hit my "local" REI in Fairfax over the weekend, and couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a rack both marked "Clearance" and choked with post-Christmas overstock. Stuff's ranging from 25-60% off retail, and you're not limited to the gender-nonspecific eyesore colors that the office wogs wear in an effort to kid those around them that they're outdoorsmen.

Their politics....only politics of theirs I note is the fact that you can return or exchange ANYthing for just about any reason if you are unsatisfied with the product. For me, that includes taking back and exchanging a pair of boots that developed a squeak in the right heel after I'd worn nearly every day for over 8mos; given that, they can support the Tooth Fairy in the next presidential election and lobby for the removal of the letter "M" from the alphabet, as far as I'm concerned....:D

Yeah, North Face sold out a long time ago, once they tapped further into the urban crowd. The used to make no-shit expedition weight gear. Now, they're only good for parody "Hey **** Face" patches.

Also, don't discount some of the stuff you can find at Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. If you look hard enough, you can find things that aren't that "realtree" camo BS, and that work really well. My rainpants came from a Bass shop, are a neutral tan/green/khaki color that gets multicam enough for anybody once they get enough mud slopped on them, and have been around long enough that the tags are gone. I have no idea who made them, just barely know which side is the front....but they keep the wet out, even when I'm laying on it for 3 hours.

Echo this almost exactly. Except for removing "M" from the alphabet. I would rather it stay and have another letter added. Preferably something cyrillic and confusing.

Since the tree huggers have decided that they need to blend in with nature to be one with the squirrels and other such shit, the outdoors places have started offering excellent gear in earthy tones. Definitely worth a look, and more often than not, cheaper than it's tacticool equivalent.

......and **** the iPhone for autocorrecting tacticool to tactical. Mother bitches.